Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Metal Thread

Crispy

In Flames > At The Gates Melodeath > Death Metal The Cure > The Smiths Radiohead > Nirvana

I can make one too.

Slayer > Metallica

Death Metal > Melodic Death Metal

Nirvana > Radiohead

Carcass > Napalm Death

Sepultura > Pantera

Alice in Chains > Deftones

Opeth >>> Dream Theater

Chuck Shuldiner > John Petrucci

The Smiths > The Cure

At the Gates > In Flames

Bonded by Blood > Master of Puppets

I think that's enough.

lol that's good. I'm the shy, quiet one who sits in the corner. When people first heard that I listen to a lot of metal, I got a lot of weird looks. I honestly would never want to be normal. It's just no fun!  

Uhhh... sure whatever you say wink.png

Alice in Chains > Deftones

That one was really just out of the blue...I don't quite understand it but whatever. And yeah, sadly Opeth > Dream Theater is an unpopular thing.

That one was really just out of the blue...I don't quite understand it but whatever. And yeah, sadly Opeth > Dream Theater is an unpopular thing.

Remember when I said that Alice in Chains was the pinacle of alternative metal, then Twiliscael was like "No, Deftones are the pinacle of alternative metal"? I'm not really a fan of Dream Theater, they're just too power metalish for me.

So false. I'm not even a big fan of Dream Theater, but really? Every single member of that band is a complete and total dominant being on their instrument. 
No. Chuck does vocals, they were pretty crazy especially on their last album.

Remember when I said that Alice in Chains was the pinacle of alternative metal, then Twiliscael was like "No, Deftones are the pinacle of alternative metal"? I'm not really a fan of Dream Theater, they're just too power metalish for me.

Alice In Chains...the pinnacle of Alternative Metal........really? Alice In Chains, though they do qualify as Alternative Metal, are more well noted as Grunge, and are known into that era, Deftones on the other hand are noted as Alternative Metal.

As for Dream Theater, I do like them, though I tend to find that their music just sometimes becomes what I like to call "all riff and no bite". They are talented musicians, though their songs can sometimes be really bland, dull, or just plain boring. Which is why I personally would choose Opeth over Dream Theater, much better song writing and emotion. They've got the bite that Dream Theater tends to miss for sure.

• Brohoof 2

As for Dream Theater, I do like them, though I tend to find that their music just sometimes becomes what I like to call "all riff and no bite". They are talented musicians, though their songs can sometimes be really bland, dull, or just plain boring. Which is why I personally would choose Opeth over Dream Theater, much better song writing and emotion. They've got the bite that Dream Theater tends to miss for sure.

Opeth has a much darker more atmospheric sound, Dream Theater sounds kinda cheezy sometimes. I also prefer Tool over Dream Theater. I also think Martin Lopez is a really underrated drummer, he deserves a lot more creddit.

Opeth has a much darker more atmospheric sound, Dream Theater sounds kinda cheezy sometimes. I also prefer Tool over Dream Theater. I also think Martin Lopez is a really underrated drummer, he deserves a lot more creddit.

If you ask me Opeth Vs. Tool makes more sense since the two of them are both very great lyricists, and have unique styles. I wouldn't say that Dream Theater sound cheesy sometimes as more on the side of bland and boring with fast-paced guitar riffs thrown on to try and make up for it. As cool as it is to hear fast paced riffs, I also like to hear an interesting track that isn't soulless riffs and solos. Not saying that Dream Theater are always like that, they only are sometimes like that.

If you ask me Opeth Vs. Tool makes more sense since the two of them are both very great lyricists, and have unique styles. I wouldn't say that Dream Theater sound cheesy sometimes as more on the side of bland and boring with fast-paced guitar riffs thrown on to try and make up for it. As cool as it is to hear fast paced riffs, I also like to hear an interesting track that isn't soulless riffs and solos. Not saying that Dream Theater are always like that, they only are sometimes like that.

Tool vs Opeth? Well that one's a toughy. I really like Tool but, I like Opeth more and I've spent more time listening to Opeth. But yea, I like a few songs by Dream Theater but they either come off as a cheesy or like you said, bland for me.  

(edited)

That's total bullshit, some of the original Metalcore bands have mentioned Slayer as an influence such as Integrity, Hatebreed and Converge. Probably some of the Grindcore bands out there have noted Slayer as an influence, though that's just by guessing.

Metalcore lies on the Death Metal side of Extreme Metal as opposed to the Doom Metal side or the Black Metal side. The main influences on Metalcore are Cross-over Thrash, Melodic Death Metal, Groove Metal, and Thrash Metal. Grindcore is even more obviously on the Death Metal side. 

Speaking of crossover thrash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmEw-71OBzY

Edited by Ganondox

Holy fuck, when did Moog become a total hard-ass? I LOVE IT!!! I want, nay, demand, more cranky-Moog!

Some funeral/sludge to put me into a coma.

Dude, whywhywhywhy   Seriously though, how do you play something with strings so loose? I mean, my 25.5" uses 12-52 gauge strings, and I find it perfect at Eb Standard. Drop B and sometimes C Standard are like, the lowest I ever realistically go on it.

Why the hell not? Its not like I plan on recording or anything with it. Its just for the hell of it. If I were to Do anything more with it I'd put on a .62 maybe even a .70 for the low G string. This was just to see what I could do with it. The lowest I would dare to play on the strings I have on there right now is drop A or ADADGBE. Deffinitley gonna pick up a pair of these soon if i want to go any lower than what I've been playing.

1354572540P02730.png

Have some metal.

And

Metalcore lies on the Death Metal side of Extreme Metal as opposed to the Doom Metal side or the Black Metal side. The main influences on Metalcore are Cross-over Thrash, Melodic Death Metal, Groove Metal, and Thrash Metal. Grindcore is even more obviously on the Death Metal side.

Thanks for the history lesson on something that I already know. But anyways, not all Metalcore bands were closer to their Death Metal influences, some of them kept themselves closer to their Thrash influences.

Holy fuck, when did Moog become a total hard-ass? I LOVE IT!!! I want, nay, demand, more cranky-Moog!

Maybe during today we might see more cranky-Moog

• Brohoof 2

What's with this "sides" thing you have going on. Death metal and doom metal can go together. Just look at Autopsy. Grindcore is grindcore, it has way more punk influences than death metal.

Why the hell not? Its not like I plan on recording or anything with it. Its just for the hell of it. If I were to Do anything more with it I'd put on a .62 maybe even a .70 for the low G string. This was just to see what I could do with it. The lowest I would dare to play on the strings I have on there right now is drop A or ADADGBE. Deffinitley gonna pick up a pair of these soon if i want to go any lower than what I've been playing.

Have some metal.

And

Oh yeah, wouldn't make sense to record anything decent like that. And right, I meant 12-54. Those are heavy gauge's. Silly common Deathcore tunings.

And it seems this thread felt like exploding while I was busy hibernating. gg metal thread.

• Brohoof 1

@@Moog, I fucking love you, man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSvD5SM_uI4

Broooooo.

Tosin Abasi is so classy, and his music is so good. I'm starting to really like his stuff and Animals as Leaders. So yeah, have that. 

Check out T.R.A.M. I think I like their debut more than Animals as Leader's second album, Weightless.

Abasi and a few other musicians collaborated and created basically created the prog metal-jazz fusion version of AAL.

• Brohoof 2

What's with this "sides" thing you have going on. Death metal and doom metal can go together. Just look at Autopsy. Grindcore is grindcore, it has way more punk influences than death metal.

It's not that metal has to be on one the sides, it's that these are sides of Extreme Metal itself, and a genre doesn't need all of them. There is also the Thrash side, which is close to the Death side, though I didn't bring that up for Slayer because Thrash Metal existed before Slayer. I'm just saying Extreme Metal is older than Slayer.

Oh, and of all the other types of Extreme Metal grindcore is obviously the closest to Death Metal. It's like Death Punk.  

It's not that metal has to be on one the sides, it's that these are sides of Extreme Metal itself, and a genre doesn't need all of them. There is also the Thrash side, which is close to the Death side, though I didn't bring that up for Slayer because Thrash Metal existed before Slayer. I'm just saying Extreme Metal is older than Slayer.

Oh, and of all the other types of Extreme Metal grindcore is obviously the closest to Death Metal. It's like Death Punk.

Death metal evolved from thrash metal, it evolved into something distinctly different. Grindcore has it's own thing with it's own subgeres. Slayer are one of the thrash metal pioneers. They gave the genre something much edgier along with bands like Kreator and Sodom.
  • Brohoof 2

So I listened to some Slayer today, based off of a flow chart that said where to start (everything stemmed out of "Reign in Blood") and where to go from there based on what the listener's thoughts were on what they heard.

Starting from "Reign in Blood," I wanted to see what Slayer could do that was slower and just as aggressive, which led me to "Hell Awaits," where I figured out Dawn's namesake (took me long enough).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSY1hrmrFMA

I liked this more than "Reign in Blood" simply because the songs were more fleshed out and had more direction.

Next, going back to "Reign in Blood," I wanted more aggression, leading me to "God Hates Us All," and this is where I currently stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQsUSOmUAIw

So I listened to some Slayer today, based off of a flow chart that said where to start (everything stemmed out of "Reign in Blood") and where to go from there based on what the listener's thoughts were on what they heard.

Starting from "Reign in Blood," I wanted to see what Slayer could do that was slower and just as aggressive, which led me to "Hell Awaits," where I figured out Dawn's namesake (took me long enough).

I liked this more than "Reign in Blood" simply because the songs were more fleshed out and had more direction.

Next, going back to "Reign in Blood," I wanted more aggression, leading me to "God Hates Us All," and this is where I currently stand.

It took you long enough that my name is based off "At Dawn They Sleep" lol.

If you want aggression I would suggest Show No Mercy, it's just really raw sounding compared to their later stuff. If you want something melodic you should give South of Heaven a listen.

My favorite track on God Hates Us All. I like the art on the slip insert more than the actual artwork. It just fits the music better with how minimal it is (and it reminds me of the art for "Aesthethica" too).

So I was searching for the cover art for Awaken the Dreamers, and instead I found The Sorrow's self-titled. Which is late enough, since around 2 years ago, I listened to a song of theirs on ChroniX and liked something. Then I totally forgot the band name, and really wanted to hear them again. All I really remembered was, "THERE'S LIKE A WOLF OR SOMETHING ON THE COVER", and that they were melodic metalcore.

I probably would have liked it more when I listened to a ton of metalcore. Still sounds pretty good to me now though. Got these half spoken/harsh vocals, like ABR-esque.

• Brohoof 1

Death metal evolved from thrash metal, it evolved into something distinctly different. Grindcore has it's own thing with it's own subgeres. Slayer are one of the thrash metal pioneers. They gave the genre something much edgier along with bands like Kreator and Sodom.

Well of course Thrash and Death are different, but they are more closely related than Black Metal and Doom Metal are to Death Metal. And Grindcore is still closely related to Death Metal, it having it's own subgenres doesn't change that. So does Death Metal. I'm not denying anything you are saying, I'm just saying Extreme Metal existed before Slayer did. 

So I was searching for the cover art for Awaken the Dreamers, and instead I found The Sorrow's self-titled. Which is late enough, since around 2 years ago, I listened to a song of theirs on ChroniX and liked something. Then I totally forgot the band name, and really wanted to hear them again. All I really remembered was, "THERE'S LIKE A WOLF OR SOMETHING ON THE COVER", and that they were melodic metalcore.

I probably would have liked it more when I listened to a ton of metalcore. Still sounds pretty good to me now though. Got these half spoken/harsh vocals, like ABR-esque.

I listen to a ton of Metalcore and now I've gotta say that I love these guys, they're an awesome band for sure.

Also taking Crispy's advice and I'm gonna start listening to this Misery Signals album, I doubt that it will be bad

I listen to a ton of Metalcore and now I've gotta say that I love these guys, they're an awesome band for sure.

Also taking Crispy's advice and I'm gonna start listening to this Misery Signals album, I doubt that it will be bad

I like Mirrors more than their debut, actually.

A bit more diverse, I think.

Quick, take some more After the Burial.

I'm really glad they re-recorded these songs, actually.