Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Metal Thread

Crispy

2015 is shaping up to be one of the great years in heavy metal. New Nightwish. New Cradle Of Filth. New Symphony X. New Helloween. New Fear Factory. New Lamb Of God. New Soulfly. New Disturbed. New Slayer. New Megadeth. New Anthrax. New Iron Maiden. We've got the making of "Metal Allegiance." AKA, Nuclear Blast records all star project, which stars most of the bands I've listed.

And now, New 5FDP.

• Brohoof 1

Does Guns n' Roses count?

I've heard a lot of people say that this album sucks. I've not listened to it apart from this one song, but I like it. Is it really as bad as everyone says?

So, here I am air-drumming away to one of my favourite melodic-death metal tracks, something from 2002:

In fact, their album 'Damage Done' is definitely worth a listen if you are into the melo-death genre - I'd rate it up there with the likes of Clayman and Burning Bridges!

Enjoy everypony  :D

A truly haunting piece. The melodies around 5:12 and onward are amazing. The whole song has a melancholic feel to it, despite the fact that there's no lyrics. I guess the saddest words are the ones you don't hear.

• Brohoof 1

May as well share some of the Cult of Luna I've been listening to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vgp6NZWlB8

[snip]

A truly haunting piece. The melodies around 5:12 and onward are amazing. The whole song has a melancholic feel to it, despite the fact that there's no lyrics. I guess the saddest words are the ones you don't hear.

Holy hell, man! I've been looking for a new sludge outfit to try out, and I think I've just found it! Sounds kinda like they bridge the gap between more standard sludge and post-metal. Good stuff!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

One of the greatest death metal songs ever written. Between the technicality of the instruments, the lyrics to this song stand out the most. They are absolutely enthralling, meaningful and deep. A lot of death metal songs tend to be "KILL EVERYONE DEATH IS COOL" (which I have no problem with, but that's not quite the point), but the lyrics in this song tell a story. Here is an excerpt:

It came from dismal shadows

Creeping, sudden, from behind.
fell upon my merry whistle
darkened me at heart and sight.
Back with me, one again with the memory
Again I behold the ruins
that I left when I was all devoured by wrath.

Last night out in the timber
A thousand torrents’ vehemence
came rushing through my veins
Up my throat and filled the eyes,
And then that I knew
all pain will be undone
When I pack my bags
And depart for lonely roads

Merely hours passed
that I had left him to his mountains
his colossal idols - one for every spear in me.
Slopes so steep,
I could not conquer in a lifetime.
Now they're all but ruins,
Ruins I left behind.

Just pure beauty in written form.

Edited by Blackened

(edited)

Dudes & Dudettes! Update from the fronts of Nuclear Blast! The first single from the label wide collab "Metal Allegiance" has been released! 

featuring the talents of:

Chuck Billy (Testament, Dublin Death Patrol) on Vocals
chuck-billy.jpg
Alex Skolnick (Testament, Alex Skolnick trio) on lead & rhythm guitars
IMG_7424.jpg
David Ellefson (Megadeth) on Bass
p17qsfj49p1gg64316p212oa184l4.jpg
Mike Portnoy (The Winery Dogs, Adrenaline Mob, Ex-Dream Theater, Ex-Avenged Sevenfold) on Drums
p18ch5n5bi15ijah21mghkkgq5j4.jpg
Phil Demmel (Machine Head, Technocracy, Ex-Vio-lence) on lead guitar
mcmurtrie1493.jpg
Andreas Kisser (Sepultura) on lead guitar
andreas-kisser-200-101309.jpg

Sounds a bit too much like Testament, but since when is that ever a bad thing?

I am very much looking forward to this, as Nuclear Blast is home to just about every thrash band on earth, every other power metal band in Europe, and some of the biggest names in black & death metal. The combinations we'll be hearing will be glorious. This is just the tip of the iceberg my friends.

Stay tuned. Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

Dudes & Dudettes! Update from the fronts of Nuclear Blast! The first single from the label wide collab "Metal Allegiance" has been released! 

featuring the talents of:

Chuck Billy (Testament, Dublin Death Patrol) on Vocals

sig-3939288.chuck-billy.jpg

Alex Skolnick (Testament, Alex Skolnick trio) on lead & rhythm guitars

sig-3939288.IMG_7424.jpg

David Ellefson (Megadeth) on Bass

sig-3939288.p17qsfj49p1gg64316p212oa184l

Mike Portnoy (The Winery Dogs, Adrenaline Mob, Ex-Dream Theater, Ex-Avenged Sevenfold) on Drums

sig-3939288.p18ch5n5bi15ijah21mghkkgq5j4

Phil Demmel (Machine Head, Technocracy, Ex-Vio-lence) on lead guitar

sig-3939288.mcmurtrie1493.jpg

Andreas Kisser (Sepultura) on lead guitar

sig-3939288.andreas-kisser-200-101309.jp

Sounds a bit too much like Testament, but since when is that ever a bad thing?

I am very much looking forward to this, as Nuclear Blast is home to just about every thrash band on earth, every other power metal band in Europe, and some of the biggest names in black & death metal. The combinations we'll be hearing will be glorious. This is just the tip of the iceberg my friends.

Stay tuned.

Loving this. I can't say I'd hate anything with Phil Demmel involved.

@,

Seen them live 4 times, and would go again hands down. They never charge more than $35/ticket, and they put on a better show than most. Worth every penny.

Also I haven't been around much lately, so I'll drop a heavy one for you. Enjoy.

• Brohoof 1

George Kollias is one of the fastest death metal drummers out there. The only problem is that he loses accuracy when he goes faster.

Haha, I one had a friend who was adamant that Slip Knot were the heaviest band in the world, I showed him that song and he soon changed his tune  :lol: .

Speaking of drummers, Gene (the atomic clock) Holgan is another solid drummer - not as mad as Kolas, but he is pretty damn accurate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T0_n4VsaYo

• Brohoof 2

Haha, I one had a friend who was adamant that Slip Knot were the heaviest band in the world, I showed him that song and he soon changed his tune  :lol: .

Speaking of drummers, Gene (the atomic clock) Holgan is another solid drummer - not as mad as Kolas, but he is pretty damn accurate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T0_n4VsaYo

I used to be one of those "Slipknot is the most br00t4l bands evur" people as well.   :lol:

Also, SYL is a great band. If only they were still together... :(

• Brohoof 1

I used to be one of those "Slipknot is the most br00t4l bands evur" people as well.   :lol:

Also, SYL is a great band. If only they were still together... :(

I know, I miss Devin's Skullet-wearing days - the DTP just isn't quite the same!

More Falconer love from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yMsxQWuWvE

Honestly I'm surprised I had never heard of them before I got into them. Their guitarwork is godly with the really heavy distortions most metal I've heard seems to stay away from and still manage to not sound too garage.

The voice feels like silky leather to my ears. Another one of those vocalists who really know how to use their voice and have a lot of control over it.

Man I really need to stay on top of my metal! Nekrogoblikon has had a new album out for a month now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPrZLk95F8s

I just discovered Nekrogoblikon about a month ago. Haven't listened much yet but they surprised me. I expected screechy crap but I actually got a lot of melody in there that pulled the whole thing together.

• Brohoof 1

I know, I miss Devin's Skullet-wearing days - the DTP just isn't quite the same!

Y'know, I'm not an especially big fan of the DTP, to me it's just alright/good, I haven't listened to enough to really appreciate it yet somehow I've seen them live 5 times. I've seen them with Meshuggah in London, Supported by Perphery in Bristol, at Download 2012, I saw the Retinal Circus streamed and Devin did a signing and acoustic set in a record shop. He's just the nicest, funniest guy and I absolutely love him.

He just keeps popping up in my life.

Anyone got any good gigs coming up? I'm seeing:

Deftones at Wembly 21/11

SikTh in Bristol 10/12

The Darkness in Bristol 13/12

If funds, tickets and transport are available I might try and catch Sepultura, Slayer and Apocalyptica.