Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Metal Thread

Crispy

Still going strong off of last Fridays show. Finally found some footage of the event. 

Russel Allen is probably one of the best vocalists walking the earth. Dio would be proud. And Micheal Romeo is a freaking beast on guitar. Solid performance form these guys. 

Of course, that led to Overkill stepping up their game. Bobby Blitz on fine form, especially for an old man. Things started out a little comically when Blitz's mic failed during the first chorus of Armorist. Both the crowd and the rest of the guys had to the gang vocals with out him, and Blitz had to run over and use bass player D.D. Verni's mic, while his was getting haphazardly fixed.  

And then there was this one part where D.D., Dave Linsk & Derek Tailer all walked out with twin guitars. And then Blitz asked us "Y'know why we all walked out with three freaking twin guitars? Cause we're mother f##king OVERKILL. Get it?" I got it. 

No doubt that song of the night had to be their smash hit classic "Elimination." Everyone (including myself) went ballistic when that song got played. Craziest moshing of the night. You know things were gonna get serious when Blitz said: 

"Remember what I said earlier. I'm in charge. I call the shots. Things are about to get dangerous. So if you don't know what's coming, Get the hell outta the way!"

Sadly they'res no footage of it up yet. So here's the studio track. And for you google chrome users, hit x1.25 speed on the video to get the full experience of what we all went through. 

@@Hovershy,

One of the biggest life changing experiences of my life involved the discovery of that band. You might say I stepped through my shadow and came out the other side. ;)

This was the first song I remember, way back when I barely knew who they were. My brother's guitar teacher lent us 10 000 days, and I was kind of impartial, not really having read the lyrics, or listened too closely. But later on when I was in college, I really took the time to listen, and I never imagined the rabbit hole I was about to dive into.

The second album I really got into was Lateralus, then Aenima. I kind of worked backwards through their discography. Every song, every album, a whole new experience, and a whole world of brains exploding out my skull.

Fun fact. This is the artist that did the artwork for Lateralus and 10 000 days. http://alexgrey.com/
  • Brohoof 1

One of the biggest life changing experiences of my life involved the discovery of that band. You might say I stepped through my shadow and came out the other side. ;)

I see what you did there.  ;)

Actually the first song I heard of them was 46 and 2, I was in my cousin's car and we were driving down to the beach. We were listening to Pandora when that song came on. I remember just being blown away by how epic it was. Especially the drum solo, oh my god, my cousin's car had a really good sound system.  :D

But yeah If I had to list my favorite songs I'd say 

46 and 2

Rosetta Stoned

Lateralus

Parabola

Prison Sex

Vicarious

The Pot

I could list all their songs lol, but I'll stop there. Such a good band, their approach to making music is so different from everyone else.

• Brohoof 1

@@Hovershy,

Those are all really good choices. I could go through and say every one of their songs is brilliant in some way, but I think you have the best listed. Though I think I'd add Sober on there too.

Another one you may like is Soen.

And perhaps Karnivool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq7WlUbH0Uc

I'm making a playlist for Halloween music and there isn't enough metal in it. Can anybody help me out with it? By 'Halloween music' I mean anything that fits the sound of it. The songs can upbeat and shit like that (like Living Tombstone's remix of Spooky Scary Skeletons or pretty much anything by Creature Feature), or be absolutely terrifying (like Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses or Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus). I'm not too picky.

Anyway, here's some metal.

• Brohoof 1

@RattPitt

Well you can always start with the drab four. Just about anything by them fits the horror cliche. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYxIMOODrvg

Or the first band to combine speed metal with horror

Stuff that's horror related:

Alice Cooper- Feed My Frankenstein

Helloween- Dr.Stein 

Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath

Metallica- The Thing That Should Not Be

Slayer- Dead Skin Mask

Anthrax- Fight 'Em Till You Can't

Death Angel- Mistress of Pain

Exodus- Deliver Us To Evil

Overkill- Horrorscope

Testament- The Haunting

Lacuna Coil- Die and Rise

Evanescence- Whisper (Origin Version)

Machine Head- Ghosts Will Haunt My Bones

Iron Maiden- Murders In The Rue Morgue

S.O.D.- Freddie Kruger

Stuff That Sounds Scary:

Lamb Of God- Blood Junkie

Slipknot- Slip Away

Meshuggah- Demiurge

Machine Head- Violate

Mushroomhead- Solitaire Unraveling

Mudvayne- Death Blooms

Korn- Clown

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 5

Another salvo from the Metal Allegiance project:

Vocals: Mark Osegueda (Death Angel)
Lead & Rhythm Guitars: Alex Skolnick (Testament)
Bass: David Ellefson (Megadeth, Altitudes & Attitude)
Drums: Mike Portnoy (The Winery Dogs, Ex-Dream Theater)
Additional Lead Guitar: Charlie Benante (Anthrax, S.O.D.) Gary Holt (Exodus, Slayer) & Andreas Kisser (Sepultura)

@@Denim&Venom, Ah, thanks. I've actually got some of those songs on the playlist. I'll give those songs a listen soon.

And since you mentioned Metal Allegiance and Mike Portnoy, he recently played a few songs including Slayer's Raining Blood and Rush's YYZ on a Hello Kitty drum set.

Oh jesus, is so hilarious  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I love Folk Metal  :wub:

• Brohoof 1