Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Metal Thread

Crispy

Needs more Anaal Nathrakh

Anaal Nathrakh - "More Fire Than Blood" from The Constellation of the Black Widow

Screams sound like someone getting their skin pulled off in strips, but within it all you can still hear choruses that would not be out of place on a modern rock station... and dat drum machine.

Ever heard of Rob Trujillo? He only played bass in Suicidal Tendencies, Ozzy Osborne and currently in Metallica. 

Well his 12 year old son is now playing bass in Korn!

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Ever heard of Rob Trujillo? He only played bass in Suicidal Tendencies, Ozzy Osborne and currently in Metallica. 

Well his 12 year old son is now playing bass in Korn!

Haven't watched the video yet, but that is downright awesome! Just shows that age doesn't stop in many things nowadays....

Also, what's some good metal to start out with? I've always been more of an acoustic and soft rock guy, but I'm wanting to expand my music catalog - I do love grunge and 90's rock though, so base on that. 

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Cloggedone said:

Also, what's some good metal to start out with? I've always been more of an acoustic and soft rock guy, but I'm wanting to expand my music catalog - I do love grunge and 90's rock though, so base on that. 

The classics, like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and early Metallica are pretty good starting points for just about everybody. If you're into grunge, I'd recommend sludge, stoner, and doom metal. Baroness and Mastodon are good starting bands for sludge. Electric Wizard, Kyuss, and Dozer are good for stoner. Black Sabbath, Type O Negative, and A Pale Horse Named Death are good starting bands, especially Black Sabbath since they're the reason metal exists.

Anyway, here's a song I've been listening to a lot recently.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Cloggedone said:

Haven't watched the video yet, but that is downright awesome! Just shows that age doesn't stop in many things nowadays....

You'd probably like the early stuff from the 70's. More hard rock & proto-metal though. Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, early Judas Priest.

Stuff from the 90's? 90's were a bit of a low point for metal, as metal was seen as 'no longer cool. It was very much a time of punk and alternative rock. But stuff labeled 'alt metal' would fit the bill.   Tool, Deftones, Living Color, Faith No More, System Of A Down, and others of such ilk would fit your niche.

As mentioned, stoner, sludge and doom metal fit the grungy atmosphere. Crowbar & Corrosion Of Conformity fit such bills.  If you're gonna give Sabbath a try, stick with the Ozzy years, as those are the slower, riff heavy stuff. But if you're up for a trip outside your comfort zone, do listen to the Dio years, as those are faster and more bombastic. 

If you're up for hearing what most would call 'traditional' heavy metal, then I'd seek out the true fathers of heavy metal as we know it, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden from '79-'90. Both bands use soaring vocals, fast tempos & iconic twin guitar leads that are the blue prints for metal purists. At least, these were the starting points for me. 

Metal is a very diverse genre spanning 45+ years, and there's probably something for everyone. 

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, WokeSmeed said:

The classics, like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and early Metallica are pretty good starting points for just about everybody. If you're into grunge, I'd recommend sludge, stoner, and doom metal.

Funny you should post that, I just discovered it myself a few days ago. lol

I can say I absolutely love stoner/doom/sludge metal, and I have a couple bands you might know, or like if you don't know. ;)

Such as this one.

And this one.

Here are some albums I've been listening to extensively recently:

Silence - Sonata Arctica 

Beyond - Omnium Gatherum

Mezmerize - System of a Down

And my favorite, The Stage - A7X

Honestly I enjoy them all.  But I love the themes explored in The Stage the most.

It's been almost two years, guys.  I know you're a perfectionist, but goddamnit, Michael Keene, I NEED THIS ALBUM NOW.

Don't be the new Necrophagist, pls. ;_;

• Brohoof 2