Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Metal Thread

Crispy

1 hour ago, Metaluna said:

3 Inches of Blood, Alestorm, Death, Death Angel, Enforcer, Ensiferum, Equilibirium, Hellripper, Judas Priest, Korpiklaani, Mortal Sin, Napalm Death, Obsequiae, Power Trip, Running Wild, Skeletonwitch, Svartsot, Tankard.

Some solid picks! Death, Death Angel, Napalm Death, Skeletonwitch, and Judas Priest are all standouts to me- that being said, I haven't listened to Running Wild, Enforcer, or Hellripper, and it has been at least 5 years since I lasted listened to Korplikaani... might have to throw some of them on the backlog to peep in the future!

Obituary, Dust Bolt, Pallbearer and Skeletonwitch are coming around soon and I'm thinking I might go to that show

That sounds like an absurd lineup (though I am not familiar with Pallbearer) and you should definitely go. In 2 days I am seeing Between the Buried and Me (one of my favorite bands of all time- the Pink Floyd of metal if I had to sum them up briefly), Leprous (solid prog!), and The Dear Hunter (progressive indie band that tells a cohesive story/concept album through all of their albums. Pretty cool stuff, but if you're not into indie then you probably wouldn't like them).

On that note, Pallbearer is a really unique group

Reveal hidden contents

...and now I have heard Pallbearer. Doom isn't my favorite subgenre, but that sounds pretty solid... I like the vocalist, he sounds like a power metal vocalist singing at a slower pace to match the music. My favorite doom metal band is Katatonia, however their more recent music hasn't quite scratched the itch like their first few. Highly recommend :)

Spoiler

For my plug: The newest Faceless album. While inconsistent, having a few pointless/not-all-that-great tracks... the high points are definitive high points in the proggy, techy death metal sphere. While not quite as tech as their first 2 albums, Akeldama and Planetary Duality, and not as progressive/genre-bending as Autotheism, it is a solid melding of the two styles and still hits like fucking freight train. Their clean vocalist/guitarist/songwriter is a fuckface though, drug addict who's a toxic presence and has caused around THIRTY people to join and subsequently leave the band because of his bullshit... still an awesome songwriter :/

DIGGING...THE GRAVE... THE SICKNESS IS TIGHTENING. *insert flute solo*

Spoiler

After their bassist, Evan Brewer (who is a literal god) left he went on to work on a bunch of projects- one of which being Entheos, a progressive, techy deathcore band with a female vocalist. Solid tunes if you're into overproduced, modern br00tal stuff- entirely worth listening for that sexy bass though, as well as the proggy breaks in the brutality. The outro riff in this song is something special, let me tell you, and almost like something Animals as Leaders might have used to end a song in a more recent album of theirs.

Spoiler

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 1

haven't listened to Running Wild, Enforcer, or Hellripper

Let me get you started:

First off, Running Wild is strange in that they (probably not the right pronoun as Running Wild is more or less the efforts of one guy) are HUGE, have been around forever (first album released 1984, most recent one in 2016), and yet; Running Wild is still kind of an unknown even to seasoned metalheads. I kind of want to say Running Wild is exclusive to the European scene but I don't know how true that is. Anyways, probably my favorite metal band. Lyrics tend to focus on piracy, history, literature, and conspiracy theories (yes, really). A lot of people seem to think that Alestorm started the pirate metal scene, and lord knows I love Alestorm, but here's where it truly took off.

Spoiler

Enforcer is a fresh take on traditional heavy metal

Spoiler

Hellripper is a fairly new one-man blackened thrash / speed outfit ala Toxic Holocaust, Midnight, and Speedwolf

Spoiler

In 2 days I am seeing Between the Buried and Me (one of my favorite bands of all time- the Pink Floyd of metal if I had to sum them up briefly), Leprous (solid prog!)

Jealous. Automata sounds super good.
I'm going to have to look up Leprous. I haven't devled into anything too proggy, lately.
I have heard of Dear Hunter but yeah, not up my alley. I can say the same for Katatonia as well.

I'm wise to the whole situation with The Faceless, too. I'm probably going to skip on that album.

Entheos, a progressive, techy deathcore band with a female vocalist. Solid tunes if you're into overproduced, modern br00tal stuff- entirely worth listening for that sexy bass though, as well as the proggy breaks in the brutality. The outro riff in this song is something special, let me tell you, and almost like something Animals as Leaders might have used to end a song in a more recent album of theirs.

You sold me on Entheos with Animals as Leaders; I was lucky enough to see them live some years back and I can probably die knowing I'll never see a more impressive guitar performance.

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Metaluna said:

Let me get you started:

First off, Running Wild is strange in that they (probably not the right pronoun as Running Wild is more or less the efforts of one guy) are HUGE, have been around forever (first album released 1984, most recent one in 2016), and yet; Running Wild is still kind of an unknown even to seasoned metalheads. I kind of want to say Running Wild is exclusive to the European scene but I don't know how true that is. Anyways, probably my favorite metal band. Lyrics tend to focus on piracy, history, literature, and conspiracy theories (yes, really). A lot of people seem to think that Alestorm started the pirate metal scene, and lord knows I love Alestorm, but here's where it truly took off.

Hm hm hmmm I don't quite know if this band is my steez based upon the songs you've linked, however if you were to give me a recommendation of their best album or two I'd give 'em a spin and perhaps come to like it more!

Enforcer is a fresh take on traditional heavy metal

Pretty solid tunes, it does sound like a pretty fresh take on a more traditional sound... if I'm ever in the mood for something in that vein, I will be sure to keep them in mind. I've just been in a real death metal/black metal type mood for a while now...

Hellripper is a fairly new one-man blackened thrash / speed outfit ala Toxic Holocaust, Midnight, and Speedwolf

Now this seems more my speed. Added to the list, for when I'm next feelin' thrashy. Now not quite the same- I feel the black influence is stronger with these guys right here- but another solid blackened thrash band is Destroyer 666. Would recommend Unchain the Wolves or Cold Steel... For an Iron Age to start getting into them. Ravenously nihilistic music that is equal parts black and thrash... close to perfection.

Spoiler

Jealous. Automata sounds super good.
I'm going to have to look up Leprous. I haven't devled into anything too proggy, lately.
I have heard of Dear Hunter but yeah, not up my alley. I can say the same for Katatonia as well.

I'm wise to the whole situation with The Faceless, too. I'm probably going to skip on that album.

Automata isn't their best, but it's probably their best effort since The Great Misdirect- it is a solid mesh off all of their styles, my issue is that I feel that while all of the songs are very strong and well-composed, they are lacking as many standout moments as previous albums. Regardless, hype as fuck... it's gonna be a great show!

Leprous? This should be a pretty good primer to see what you think- unconventional music for sure, very solid though...

Spoiler

And that's a shame, I fucking love everything The Faceless has put out... if you're going to skip the album entirely, but enjoy their music, I'd say these are the 2 songs you should listen to, plus the one I linked above:

Spoiler

Sidenote: both of these songs dropped wayyyy before the album itself, so they'd already ran their course for alot of fans by the time In Becoming a Ghost finally came out :/

Your call though x)

You sold me on Entheos with Animals as Leaders; I was lucky enough to see them live some years back and I can probably die knowing I'll never see a more impressive guitar performance

Well you'd be happy to know that Entheos' drummer was a live drummer for Animals as Leaders before Matt Garskta joined!

I saw AAL perform with Periphery and Car Bomb in November, and I can confirm the man is an absolute god on the guitar... I was absolutely stunned at his ability to play such complex, technical music so flawlessy while ALSO having a great, fun stage presence and not just staring down at his fretboard the entire time... seriously, I don't think I heard a single missed note the entire time.

Speaking of Car Bomb, here's a plug: Their newest album Meta is their best record, and a very mature one at that... an off-kilter math metal masterpiece

... it sounds like Meshuggah, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Deftones, and The Contortionist had a 4-way and this fucked up, beautiful child was born of their great sins.

Spoiler

I actually prefer the second song to the first, but they both slap and the first is more indicative of their sound overall. They play an amazing, moshy show live too.

9 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Is this their only song with a real guitar solo? Anyway, the chorus is so good. 

Not a favorite band of mine, but off the top of my head I can think of one or two...

Spoiler

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 2

Now this seems more my speed. Added to the list, for when I'm next feelin' thrashy. Now not quite the same- I feel the black influence is stronger with these guys right here- but another solid blackened thrash band is Destroyer 666. Would recommend Unchain the Wolves or Cold Steel... For an Iron Age to start getting into them. Ravenously nihilistic music that is equal parts black and thrash... close to perfection.

Oh yeah, I've got plenty of Destroyer666. I've got Cold Steel lying around here, somewhere.

I've just been in a real death metal/black metal type mood for a while now...

Hey, I've got some fun stuff for that. I'm a fan of everything Abbath has been involved with.

Spoiler

I love that old school swedish death metal sound

Spoiler

And here's a bunch of blackened death/thrash

Spoiler

Leprous? This should be a pretty good primer to see what you think- unconventional music for sure, very solid though...

I'm loving it. These guys have a Devin Townsend-ish vibe to them.

Speaking of Car Bomb, here's a plug: Their newest album Meta is their best record, and a very mature one at that... an off-kilter math metal masterpiece

... it sounds like Meshuggah, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Deftones, and The Contortionist had a 4-way and this fucked up, beautiful child was born of their great sins.

Now this is some good stuff! And an apt description.

I'm guessing you're familiar with the likes of Ron Jarzombek, Spastic Ink, Blotted Science, and Watchtower?

• Brohoof 1

Oh yeah, I've got plenty of Destroyer666. I've got Cold Steel lying around here, somewhere.

As you should!

Hey, I've got some fun stuff for that. I'm a fan of everything Abbath has been involved with.

I like Mr. Abbath Doom Occulta, but I mainly like his work with Immortal- call me basic!

That being said, Abbath- Abbath is pretty sweet album, especially for being released in 2016!

Spoiler

I love that old school swedish death metal sound

Yeah dude those fucking Swedes know how to lay down some sweet music, across many a subgenre. More recently in the Swede-isphere I've been bumping something a bit more modern- Vildhjarta and Humanity's Last Breath. Be prepared for djent, but a very atonal, dissonant, spastic take on it. If they sound a bit similar- it's because they share a guitarist, and Vildy hasn't put anything out in a few years- HLB has. T H A L L.

Spoiler

I'm sure I've posted these bands before, but that must have been years ago buried under hundreds of pages of thread so... have 'em!

And here's a bunch of blackened death/thrash

Fuck wirh everything you have posted here! I know all besides Ketzer, though I don't know any besides URN in depth. Thank you for reminding me~

I'm loving it. These guys have a Devin Townsend-ish vibe to them.

Glad you enjoy! Any of their studio albums will give you an idea of what they're about and all have some fan favorite songs, but I tend to focus on Bilateral or Coal myself.

Now this is some good stuff! And an apt description.

I'm guessing you're familiar with the likes of Ron Jarzombek, Spastic Ink, Blotted Science, and Watchtower?

Glad you enjoy Car Bomb! They're not that big yet, give 'em all the love you can- they deserve it.

I really like Blotted Science, I think both of their albums (er, album and EP?) are fantastic works of instrumental music- heavier than most instrumental metal, and infinitely more earwormy- their hooks are a hook, line, and sinker. An old user of this here thread, NeverNeverLand, used to really like them. Actually listened to both Machinations and Animation last night, so funny you mentioned 'em ^_^. Have not given Spastic Ink nor Watchtower much of my time though, even if I have liked what I've heard.

For the plug: Ever heard of Velvet Cacoon? Somewhat psychedelic atmosphere/ambient black metal from Portland, Oregon here in the U.S. Despite the duo being riddled with controversy about stealing a demo from a less popular band and publishing it as their own, being hyper-addicted to DXM, and one of them being committed to  a mental institution... it's pretty solid stuff. And you're telling me that none of that sounds black metal as fuck?

Spoiler

Sidenote: Fuck this noise about the Watain guitarist giving the Nazi salute.  They ended up having to kick him out because of the bad publicity. Everyone's making a big deal out of it- Varg Vikernes fucking murdered someone, burned down churches, and got caught with enough explosives to blow up a building and everyone loves him because he's a nutty old man in Burzum. Hypocritical, at least this guy hasn't actually done anything and they've said it was just a joke. It's fucked up to do a Nazi salute, but people don't outrage when other black metal artists do far worse things... Maybe I'm biased because Lawless Darkness is one of my favorite more modern BM releases but... fuck.

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

On 3/29/2018 at 9:21 PM, Twiliscael said:

Hm hm hmmm I don't quite know if this band is my steez based upon the songs you've linked, however if you were to give me a recommendation of their best album or two I'd give 'em a spin and perhaps come to like it more!

Pretty solid tunes, it does sound like a pretty fresh take on a more traditional sound... if I'm ever in the mood for something in that vein, I will be sure to keep them in mind. I've just been in a real death metal/black metal type mood for a while now...

Reveal hidden contents

Automata isn't their best, but it's probably their best effort since The Great Misdirect- it is a solid mesh off all of their styles, my issue is that I feel that while all of the songs are very strong and well-composed, they are lacking as many standout moments as previous albums. Regardless, hype as fuck... it's gonna be a great show!

Reveal hidden contents

And that's a shame, I fucking love everything The Faceless has put out... if you're going to skip the album entirely, but enjoy their music, I'd say these are the 2 songs you should listen to, plus the one I linked above:

Reveal hidden contents

Sidenote: both of these songs dropped wayyyy before the album itself, so they'd already ran their course for alot of fans by the time In Becoming a Ghost finally came out :/

Your call though x)

Well you'd be happy to know that Entheos' drummer was a live drummer for Animals as Leaders before Matt Garskta joined!

I saw AAL perform with Periphery and Car Bomb in November, and I can confirm the man is an absolute god on the guitar... I was absolutely stunned at his ability to play such complex, technical music so flawlessy while ALSO having a great, fun stage presence and not just staring down at his fretboard the entire time... seriously, I don't think I heard a single missed note the entire time.

Reveal hidden contents

I actually prefer the second song to the first, but they both slap and the first is more indicative of their sound overall. They play an amazing, moshy show live too.

Not a favorite band of mine, but off the top of my head I can think of one or two...

Reveal hidden contents

I’ve heard Car Bomb before, but hearing Gratitude convinced me I need to add them to this list: http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=5022

Anyway, do they have any other more melodic songs on any of the albums prior to Meta?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
4 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Anyway, do they have any other more melodic songs on any of the albums prior to Meta?

Much more of a presence of it in Meta, but you can find a bit in their previous album w^w^^w^w as well. Them throwing in alot more of it on Meta is what makes it a more unique, impactful album imo. EDIT: Okay posthing those w^ tracks has made me want to relisten to it ASAP...... :unsure:

Spoiler

The bit around ~3:40 gets me every damn time.

New single by everyone's favorite Halo-core band.

Spoiler

Master Chief approves.

y6403lkb8fm01.png

4 hours ago, Ganondox said:

I’ve heard Car Bomb before, but hearing Gratitude convinced me I need to add them to this list: http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=5022

Nice list, some sweet picks on there... I'm trying to think of new bands doing something unique, and off the top of my head I'd say that cake goes to Ulcerate (previously posted) and Panopticon.

For the uninitiated, Panopticon is a one-man bluegrass/black metal band. And if that sounds contradictory and like it wouldn't work... have a listen. Banjos, flutes, harmonicas and more! It fucking slaps.  New album next month too!

Spoiler

There are much more bluegrassy songs as well, I just figured you're here primarily for the metal

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Twiliscael said:

Much more of a presence of it in Meta, but you can find a bit in their previous album w^w^^w^w as well. Them throwing in alot more of it on Meta is what makes it a more unique, impactful album imo. EDIT: Okay posthing those w^ tracks has made me want to relisten to it ASAP...... :unsure:

Hide contents

The bit around ~3:40 gets me every damn time.

New single by everyone's favorite Halo-core band.

Hide contents

Master Chief approves.

y6403lkb8fm01.png

Nice list, some sweet picks on there... I'm trying to think of new bands doing something unique, and off the top of my head I'd say that cake goes to Ulcerate (previously posted) and Panopticon.

For the uninitiated, Panopticon is a one-man bluegrass/black metal band. And if that sounds contradictory and like it wouldn't work... have a listen. Banjos, flutes, harmonicas and more! It fucking slaps.  New album next month too!

Hide contents

There are much more bluegrassy songs as well, I just figured you're here primarily for the metal

I'm quite familiar with Ulcerate, they must have just slipped from my mind last time I updated the list. I've heard of Panopticon before, but I don't think I've ever actually listened to them. My first impression on hearing the opening of Bodies Under the Falls was that I was being assaulted by a swarm of dissonant kazoos and I was wondering if this was some sort of joke, but it turned out to be quite good. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Anyone heard Blood Incantation's 2016 debut album Starspawn? Here I was thinking that solid, original, riff-fucking-tastic death metal was done for... this is an absolute marvel and an achievement, a 10/10 release in an oversaturated genre. So many layers upon layers of complexity, stunning riffing, and an overwhelmingly crushing, well-produced atmosphere in one relatively short package. Can't believe I slept on this since 2016, despite the overwhelmingly glowing reviews- it's worth all of its salt, and then some. Just a taste below!

Also throwing some Spectral Voice in here, because it's essentially a side project of those guys, and an equally awesome take on tasty,deathy doom.

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 1

On 3/28/2018 at 7:38 PM, Twiliscael said:

What are some of your favorite bands?

Machine Head, Soilwork, Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth, Revocation, Death Angel, Kreator, Testament, Overkill, Megadeth, Fear Factory, Lamb Of God, Sabaton, Dragonforce, Kamelot, Stratovarius, Symphony X, While She Sleeps, Demon Hunter, As I Lay Dying, Amaranthe, etc. 

What do you really fucking hate about modern metal?

Bickering, infighting, elitism. Over production and compression of the sound, taking away the distinctiveness and impact of all the instruments, or how songs are seemingly made more on a computer than with instruments in a studio. 

Any particular subgenres you're into?

I like Thrash, Power Metal, Melodic Death, Post-Thrash/Groove, Metalcore. 

Which classic bands do you really not get all the hype for?

Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue, AC/DC, Nirvana, The Clash, Stone Temple Pilots. 

What albums are you hyped for?

As of now, the new Exodus, Megadeth, and At The Gates albums as well as the new Lamb Of God Burn The Priest EP. 

Band/album recommendations?

Kinda hard to make recommendations when people here have different tastes. All I can do is post stuff I like. Thrash metal is alive and kicking. Go listen to the last 3 Death Angel albums. The last 3 Testament albums. The last 5 Exodus albums. The last 3 Kreator albums. The last 2 Cavelera Conspiracy albums. The previous 3 Overkill albums (the latest one is kinda 'meh'). Or go listen to the new kids on the block.  War Bringer, Power Trip, Havok. The future is in good hands. I'd also recommend overlooked veterans like Annihilator, Onslaught, Carnivore & Nuclear Assault. 

There are also a few bands that're showcasing a potential new direction, infusing thrash with elements of melodic and tech death. Bands like Vektor, who sound like a cross between Death and Voivod, and Revocation, who are what happens when you sandwich early Meshuggah between At The Gates and Lamb Of God. 

Also support hometown Thrashers Conniption for me, would ya? 

Been to any sweet shows lately?

Just last month. Sabaton & Kreator. A team up I never knew I wanted to see. 

• Brohoof 2

If you're into thrash, I'm all over that. I think I've found the bottom of the barrel when it comes to the old breed. More and more new bands are popping up on my radar. I've seen Havok and revocation a couple of times. More recently I've seen dust bolt and power trip. Might go see skeletonwitch next month

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 4/3/2018 at 8:02 PM, Denim&Venom said:

Kinda hard to make recommendations when people here have different tastes. 

Meh I find us metalheads are usually pretty good with listening to recommendations- at the very least I like broadening my palate and seeing what bands have to offer.

There are also a few bands that're showcasing a potential new direction, infusing thrash with elements of melodic and tech death. Bands like Vektor, who sound like a cross between Death and Voivod, and Revocation, who are what happens when you sandwich early Meshuggah between At The Gates and Lamb Of God.

Holy tits bro Vektor is the best current thrash band imo. Terminal Redux is such a great fucking album, front to back and so are their other two. I like the Death and Voivod comparison (their singer sounds like Chuck with his high screams from Death especially), I've always said they sound like an updated, more current Voivod, and in addition I even feel some power metal that pokes through their sound sometimes. Plus, their guitarist UPTUNES his guitar for that spacey sound. How many metal bands UPTUNE? 

Also, Revocation isn't my favorite band, but they are consistent. They put out a solid album that sounds exactly like Revocation every year or two- which means hopefully we'll get one this year. Two of my favorite tracks by both of those bands below, though I'm sure you're familiar with them.

Spoiler

Also support hometown Thrashers Conniption for me, would ya? 

Wow sounds great, I adore that solo towards the end. Almost wish that the vocalist utilized harsher vocals but overall a solid sound- will be peeping more :) 

Looking for some old-school death metal that's straightforward and pummeling? Look no further than Jungle Rot! Consistent beyond belief, they have managed to not really update their sound since the 90's and still sound somewhat relevant. They're fans of crushing, chug-tastic riffing which is a sound that has only become more popular since their time in the spotlight back in the day. They're still around and kicking though, I'm hoping to catch them live on their next tour circuit whenever it may be.

Spoiler

On the topic of death metal- what's everyone's favorite Death album, and why isn't it The Sound of Perseverance? Been listening through some of their albums again recently... RIP Chuck :/

Spoiler

99e6d183e3678416c023407c449b9f38.png

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 2

On the topic of death metal- what's everyone's favorite Death album, and why isn't it The Sound of Perseverance? Been listening through some of their albums again recently... RIP Chuck :/

Sound of Perseverance was definitely a great end to a stellar career. If I had to pick a favorite Death album, I'm not sure what I'd go for... I listen to Scream Bloody Gore the most, though it's pretty primitive in comparison with later albums. I go back to Human a lot, too and I think it's the one I find the most consistently enjoyable. It's just such a good mix of traditional death metal and progressive elements.

Have you guys been keeping up with Gruesome? They just released a track from their upcoming album

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, Metaluna said:

Sound of Perseverance was definitely a great end to a stellar career. If I had to pick a favorite Death album, I'm not sure what I'd go for... I listen to Scream Bloody Gore the most, though it's pretty primitive in comparison with later albums. I go back to Human a lot, too and I think it's the one I find the most consistently enjoyable. It's just such a good mix of traditional death metal and progressive elements.

Human is a banger for sure! It is probably the most well-blended of their albums, in reference to their traditional old-school style and the more forward-thinking, progressive leanings of their later releases... all of their albums are superb though, it's hard to pick. I'm a bit partial to Spiritual Healing as well, it's the first album by them that I heard (picked it because I thought the cover art was unique and cool), and Living Monstrosity and Spiritual Healing the song are two of my favorite Death tracks. I especially love the little bit that starts at around 2:00 in the first song, which you get a bit of in Suicide Machine on Human as well, just way sped up before the solo at around the 2:20 mark.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Metaluna said:

Have you guys been keeping up with Gruesome? They just released a track from their upcoming album

Holy hell, that's what I'm talking about! Never heard of these guys before, and I was about to say that their logo, album art, and sound overall just screams DEATH. Lo and behold I go to check The Archives and...

e2d06ddfb676b367c1b185fb1c68f480.png

Looks like I know what I'm listening to later.

You boys fuck with Skeletonwitch? Melodeath/heavier thrash for the kiddos. I haven't listen to them very thoroughly in years, and I think I'm going to delve back into them this weekend. I remember really liking Beyond the Permafrost and Forever Abomination, but if you think there's something else I should spin by 'em let me know~

EDIT: Accidentally posted a trap song by Lil Uzi Vert, but I'm keeping it in there because that dude is fun as hell to listen to. Plus he likes Marilyn Manson and GG Allin, which is a pretty metal thing to be into for a rapper imo :unsure:

Spoiler

Edited by Twiliscael

Hey all,

I'm here because i'm looking for suggestions on Black Metal (Particularly Depressive/Suicidal Black Metal, Ambient Black Metal or Blackgaze but anything works really)

I can't really recall much metal that i listen to on a completely regular basis, I absolutely adore Noise Rock and Hardcore if that helps whatsoever. I really liked Alcest, Velvet Cacoon, Burzum, Darkthrone and Nahvalr when i checked them out but otherwise i haven't heard very much. I would really appreciate some essential albums or what have you :nom:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, Tytygigas said:

Hey all,

I'm here because i'm looking for suggestions on Black Metal (Particularly Depressive/Suicidal Black Metal, Ambient Black Metal or Blackgaze but anything works really)

I can't really recall much metal that i listen to on a completely regular basis, I absolutely adore Noise Rock and Hardcore if that helps whatsoever. I really liked Alcest, Velvet Cacoon, Burzum, Darkthrone and Nahvalr when i checked them out but otherwise i haven't heard very much. I would really appreciate some essential albums or what have you :nom:

Have you ever heard of Lifelover? They're a now defunct Swedish DSBM band that's know for their genre-hopping and general experimentation- vocally especially, they always throw you for a loop with alternating screams, clean vocals, shrieks, sobs- all within the same line sometimes. Perhaps that'd be something up your alley?

Spoiler

In addition, for some very very important blackgaze check out Deafheaven. Their first album Roads to Judah is very good as well- Violet is one of my favorite songs by them- but Sunbather and New Bermuda are both absolute masterpieces. Shoegazey, progressive, and just as warm as they are grim and icy. It's very good stuff!

Spoiler

And for some things that are a bit more essential, I'm gonna start rattling off a few bands/albums and post a few links! I'll post one important song off each album and you can check out more if you like what you're hearing. Perhaps someone else can plug a few more and help send you on your way towards perhaps one day ascending the throne.

Agalloch- The Mantle. Emotional, overpoweringly melancholic, and a wonderful entry point into folky, atmospheric black metal.

Wolves in the Throne Room- Two Hunters. For something else a bit ambient/atmospheric after all, this is a band I actually slept on for a while because I thought their name was dumb. 

Carpathian Forest- Black Shining Leather. Essential black n' roll! They start to lose me on newer releases, but this one is something special! Plus you're only a trve black metal band if you have Woods or Forest somewhere in your name.

Immortal- At The Heart of Winter. Pretty accessible and with a bit of a death metal edge to it, Immortal and especially this album are no joke and should not be slept on. I'm sure @Metaluna would be inclined to agree.

Enslaved- Yggdrasill. Mayhem and Burzum worship! Can't go wrong.

Gorgoroth- Pentagram. Memorable and classic-sounding black metal riffs that are gone as fast as they come, played fast and rough, as black metal should be.

None of those are in any particular order, and I know for a fact there are definitely many more essentials I'm missing from there- just somewhere to get your feet a little wet before taking the plunge into the icy, frostbitten depths. The latter four posted are much more classic, old-school styled albums than the prior ones btw.

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Holy hell, that's what I'm talking about! Never heard of these guys before...

Savage Land. They even got all their art done by Repka, too.

Spoiler

You boys fuck with Skeletonwitch? Melodeath/heavier thrash for the kiddos. I haven't listen to them very thoroughly in years, and I think I'm going to delve back into them this weekend. I remember really liking Beyond the Permafrost and Forever Abomination, but if you think there's something else I should spin by 'em let me know~

YES. Forever Abomination will probably end up one of my favorite albums of this decade. Serpents Unleashed is a solid album, too.

I really love Skeletonwitch and I hate to say I'm getting impatient for new stuff but they're just so good.

Spoiler

I'm not too hip to depressive black metal, but off the top of my head you'd probably want to look into Leviathan, Silencer and Xasthur.

Spoiler

I've got a bit more on the ambient side, Drudkh and Ulver are probably good places to start. Fen's a bit more on the ambient side of things. I'd highly recommend Borknagar, too

Spoiler

And lastly, some blackgaze -- I really have some weird and obscure stuff here... Nameless coyote is truly a no-name and probably some of the strangest stuff I have in my library

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Twiliscael said:

Immortal- At The Heart of Winter. Pretty accessible and with a bit of a death metal edge to it, Immortal and especially this album are no joke and should not be slept on. I'm sure @Metaluna would be inclined to agree.

Aye, that I would

Edited by Metaluna
misquoting
  • Brohoof 1

On 4/6/2018 at 2:12 AM, Metaluna said:

I'm not too hip to depressive black metal, but...

>proceeds to post some of the most underground, kvlt black metal.

On 4/6/2018 at 2:12 AM, Metaluna said:

Aye, that I would

As you should.

Anyone give the new The Atlas Moth album a spin? I can say I've never heard of these guys before, but their take on atmospheric, stoner/sludge is pretty solid! I've been hearing that this is their most accessible record, which makes me want to consume more of their music because I think this triple-guitar, layered synth, fat bass, and thunder-ific drumming is sweet. They cover alot of genre territory throughout the record too, I can hear some doom, some pyschedelia, hardcore, stoner, sludge, noise-rock, and more all mixed in throughout the record.

Felt like dumping some Meloblack while we're on the topic of it.

Istapp is a fun Swedish act that really likes freezing to death

Kampfar sounds good I don't know nearly enough Norwegian to understand anything about them

Windir is all about those Vikings.

Falkenbach is a stellar one-man band

Forefather is some English dudes that like the old Anglo-Saxon days

Obsequiae is my favorite band right now. Glorious-sounding medieval riffs. It's just gorgeous to listen to.

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

On 4/9/2018 at 8:10 PM, Metaluna said:

Felt like dumping some Meloblack while we're on the topic of it.

Meloblack seems like a contradictory thing, but if unblack metal can exist then I guess anything is possible! That being said, I am loving the jams that Obsequiae is laying down on that track you posted- medieval indeed...

I'm in a deathcore mood, so... in accordance with medieval, and the fact that I'm currently about halfway through the anime Made in Abyss, it seems fitting to post some Knights of the Abyss.

Spoiler

And for some blackened deathcore, here's a little band I discovered just yesterday- somehow ended up in a Discord server with the guitarist, and I must say they blow alot of other deathcore bands out of the water... or should I say bog. New album is absolute heat, everything just seems so natural and tastefully accentuated by a small helping of atmospheric bits.

Spoiler

Edited by Twiliscael

I'm a huge fan of trash metal and its fusion genres like funk metal, grindcore and so on.