Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do Earth and Pegasus Ponies wear their wedding rings?

Azureth

During Shining Armor and Candances wedding you can see they put theirs on their horns. Granted you don't see them wearing them again so it could be unlike Humans ponies simply only wear them during special occasions. But even so it got me thinking, how do EP and pegasi wear them?

• Brohoof 3

I've been thinking about this question. Maybe only ponies with horns use rings. Also, it looks like the wedding is only a one time use because you don't see Cadence or Shining Armor where theirs apart from the wedding.

I like the idea that either they make the rings big enough for their hooves, or they put their rings on a chain and put them around their neck.

• Brohoof 2

It's probably something specific to each of the races. While unicorns was rings on their horns, I would imagine that pegasai may have something adorning their wings while earth ponies could have something on their neck (like a decorative version of Big Mac's collar).

I would assume crystal ponies would have soething unique as well...crystal collar? XD

• Brohoof 1

I was talking about this after watching The Canterlot Wedding with my sister. We theorized that maybe EP and pegasi exchange necklaces. With the way their legs/hooves are shaped, if the ring could fit over their hoof it would slip off. Unless unicorns could make it shrink after putting it on.

We don't know a lot about it but there may be specific emblems or symbols that adorn the marriage ceremonies between earth ponies and pegasus ponies. I think that makes more sense then if all tried to use rings in some way. I think it would have been more interesting if the rings had been worn for all ceremonial occasions such as during diplomatic meetings and other times for Princess Cadance and Shining Armor.

The rings may have a different meaning in pony weddings than in human ones. Given that the only wedding we've seen is a royal one, it's *possible* the rings may actually be symbolic of Cadance transferring nobility to Shining Armor, making him a Prince Consort. And since there have been references previously (Hearth Warming Eve) that only unicorns were using standard nobility titles as we understand it, that would mean their nobility rituals would be unicorn-focused.

Yeah, that's a stretch. Nevermind. :)

More likely the different tribes would have slightly different rituals based on their physiology, since the unicorn one is obviously based on them having a horn. Earth Ponies would likely use some kind of bracelet, while Pegasi would have some kind of wing decoration similar to the ear cuff-and-chains that are gaining in popularity recently in RL.

• Brohoof 2

My theory is that there is no wedding ring in Pony culture, at least not in the same context as we have them in modern western culture. My first point is the Cakes, who are the only other married couple, and have no obvious common decoration, let alone one acting as a symbol of marriage. Secondly, we do not see Cadance or Shining Armor wearing the rings at any other time (unless I'm forgetting something).

Because we have yet to witness a second wedding, we don't know what different ceremonies entail. I believe that the ring is a part of the ceremony, at least for royals (as Fhaolan suggested, it could come from a history of Unicorn rulers). If the princes and princesses are Unicorns and Alicorns, it seems logical that the horn would be of symbolic importance to their ritual. Because royalty often marries for political reasons (at least in human societies), this could be a symbolic sharing or connection of power.

Even if it is only a ceremonial thing, we still have a question of what the equivalent would be for different races. My guess is that it would be a wreath or simple crown of some sort, though a necklace is also possible. My reason? Mostly for Pegasi, decorating the wings would be awkward, so I don't see that happening. Head and neck wear are not awkward to put on in a ceremony and could have some sort of symbol (or even be a symbol) of a meeting of mind and heart. 

I guess we need to see a commoner wedding in S5 to be certain...

It's probably something specific to each of the races. While unicorns was rings on their horns, I would imagine that pegasai may have something adorning their wings while earth ponies could have something on their neck (like a decorative version of Big Mac's collar).

I would assume crystal ponies would have soething unique as well...crystal collar? XD

Good ideas. I can see something like the Celtic hand binding ceremony where each Pony has one of the wings loosely tied to the others.

I would say in an Earth Pony's case, it would have to be a clasp-like bracelet.

That way it would fit over the hoof, not slide off because of the way the hoof is shaped.

Pegasi would be the same as well, I would think. They wouldn't want to weigh their wings down with something like a bracelet or ring. They might favor a necklace as opposed to a bracelet (for the sake of balance).

In Hearts and Hooves Day, when Big Mac goes out to buy a wedding ring you can see them set into a band that I assume a hoof could fit through or on a chain in one case. Granted that could be for display purposes, but it wouldn't be much a stretch to say that Earth Ponies and pegasi would either wear some kind or necklace or a simple band on their hoof for the ceremony. 

Um, perhaps Black Jewels Trilogy Ring of Obedience?

Yeah, I like the bracelet and necklace type ideas.  Something adorning the wing(s) for pegasi would be perfect.  Perhaps some type of jewelry woven into the mane as well.  That would be nice.  Tangent--the ponies should braid their manes/tails on occassion.  Not just for a wedding or something, but just any old time.

They can't get married, only Unicorns can

I thought about this too, and I think that it might be some other kind of jewelry for each race. Earth ponies can get clasping bracelets. Pegasi get the thing that this sir is wearing in his wings. (I don't know what it's called...)

1b186046ed8ef06e4789b4a21f67c335.jpg?132

See, the ring goes on the horn, where the Unicorn's power is. The...things(???) go on the wings, where the Pegasi's power is. And the bracelet goes on the hooves, where the Earth pony's power is. It's a unity of power, and they display it like so.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

Anyone remember what they did for Cranky marriage, I had a feeling that Earth ponies do something similar. Unicorn's have their rings, and I am not really sure what Pegasi do.

Edited by Rabit2017

I don't know that they all wear rings. 

In Perfect Pear, there were no rings presented when Bright Mac and Buttercup got married, or at least I don't remember it. Mr. and Mrs. Cake aren't ever shown wearing rings. It would have raised less questions if we never saw them but there wouldn't be as much impact on that scene when Cadence and Shining Armor tied the knot.