Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you hate about fashion?

RainbowMau

(edited)

Do you hate anything about fashion? Here I list five I SERIOUSLY hate as hell:

Sexualization: In the past decades you could wear lighter and fresher clothes and no one cared, now if you wear clothes like that in these days if you're a guy you're considered gay (yes, in an homophobic way sadly) and if you're a girl you're considered a whore. If you're a guy it's even worse since people critique you when you wear colorful clothes they see you as a creepy manchild and a sexual perv. People don't even look good at you if you're a guy and wear sandals, they don't consider you manly enough if you wear those things and sadly it happens from both genders' perspective.

Agelization: Once you reach certain age, fashion "experts" don't allow you to wear what made you comfortable and happy but what makes THEM happy. You have probably watched "What not to Wear" or "How do I Look?", they say things like "No sandals after 30" or the famous "No miniskirts after 35". I want an Adventure Time or a Rainbow Dash jacket and my mother tells me not to wear them because I'm not a kid anymore and it's not ellegant, she tells me not to buy the Fiona jacket cause it's so girly even when it's stated that it's unisex. But looks like someone wants me to wear those horrible leather jackets that are uncomfortable and don't protect from chill temperatures and are impossible to move with, but since they're on fashion they want me to wear them, even when I think cotton is softer, warmer and more comfortable. For guys of my age stores sell polo shirts with the hem insidde the pants and leather shoes, that are uncomfortable, I don't want to wear that!

Comfort doesn't matter, elegancy does: It doesn't matter if it feels like paper, if it makes your life impossible and if it doesn't allow you to move, you have to wear it! In my case I mostly wear cargo pants because I tend to walk a lot and I need to carry som,e personal items that I need when I hang out, I also try to look for the most comfortable ones, but they're dissapearing from stores, I haven't found cargo jeans in ages and the few ones I find at stores are made of horrible fabrics that feel like paper, my mother tells me to stop wearing those and to buy them no matter how the fabric sucks, and most of them come in horrible colors that I hate to wear.

Lack of colors: Girls don't have these problems, we do. As a guy I have only grey, black, white and beige as options, that's all.

You don't dress for yourself, you dress for the rest of the people: Again, "What not to Wear" and "How do I Look?", they reflect that you need fashion experts and your family and friends' approve before you wear something.

Edited by RainbowMau
  • Brohoof 5

My mum makes me dress up with clothes that go well together. To be honest, I'd be happy walking round in jogging bottoms and a shirt.

I don't hate 'fashion' but sometimes i heavily dislike the 'persona' of alot of fashionable people.

They are usually arrogant,stuck up and will throw their 'opinions' about what you should or shouldn't wear as far as fashion,and of course insult what you are wearing with a smile on their face. 

Atleast Rarity isn't like those fucking pricks. 

• Brohoof 1

Uh, you mean the fashion industry? It's a bit confusing what exactly you're discussing.

I can at least agree with the colors aspect (and everything else, 'cept this a little more). If I want to wear a rainbow shirt, then I will do it!

I don't like when I go shopping for shorts and the only ones available barely cover your butt. Is this what society has come to? Some people still like to dress modestly. Also, I have seen as young as seven year olds wearing short shorts, a super tight shirt, make-up, drinking starbucks like they're all that and I'm like, "Your seven. You should be running around in your little pink t-shirt and denim jeans without a care in the world."

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I suppose the main one for me is the disturbing trend of encouraging women to starve themselves to the point where their ribcages are hanging out like they are one of those starving kids you see in those commercial by having almost nothing but models that do this to such an absurd extent that they have to airbrush them to make them look slightly less corpse like. It is unhealthy and is really destroying the self esteem of a lot of women and setting a horrible example. So many girls and women are saying they are "fat" and that they need to lose weight when they are perfectly fine thanks to the messed up culture this is encouraging.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 1

I don't like when I go shopping for shorts and the only ones available barely cover your butt. Is this what society has come to? Some people still like to dress modestly. Also, I have seen as young as seven year olds wearing short shorts, a super tight shirt, make-up, drinking starbucks like they're all that and I'm like, "Your seven. You should be running around in your little pink t-shirt and denim jeans without a care in the world."

I have to disagree with you there, I hate jeans, pink shirt though, awesome.

Low-waisted pants: I don't like the feeling that my pants are desperately clinging to my tiny hips for survival. 

Shirts that barely avoid showing cleavage: When you have to be careful about leaning over too much because it'll spill out your chest, it's too much by my standards. Please, make pretty shirts with high necklines! It's not impossible, I own some!

Shirts for girls cut like men's shirts: Bleh bleh bleh bleh square cut is not flattering bleh bleh.

Actually, badly cut shirts in general: Fit is important to me. You don't have to be extravagant to be fashionable if your clothes fit well. 

(edited)

Uh, you mean the fashion industry?

Well, yes, but it's not manufacturers' fault only, fashion experts have a lot of fault here.

Edited by RainbowMau

I hate when form takes precedence over function. This is why if I ever cosplay again, I will probably go as Engineer from Team Fortress 2 again.

img_3273.jpg

Overalls and boots can be quite comfortable even in averse weather (hot, cold or wet), if you choose the right pair.

What really bothers me about fashion is that people even care. I'm an unfashionable git because I prefer the comfort of cargo pants as opposed to jeans? Band/MLP/misc. nerdy T-shirts as opposed to A&F, No Fear, Fox, or some other banal brand name I could care less about?

1hTni.gif

All things considered, though, I'm at least glad I'm not a woman in this day and age. So many more factors to worry about. Skirts, high heels and cleavage-baring shirts? "Classy" or "slutty", depending on who's arbitrarily judging. Jeans and a simple blouse? "Simple n' sweet" or "plain Jane", depending on who's judging. No thanks!

Well, this is a rather pointless topic. Reveling in hate is going to get you nowhere, especially when there's people who are sincerely interested in what you hate >_> If you dislike something, just ignore it.

I guess I can throw sagging out there. I don't want to be see some dude's underwear as he's walking around, but really, that's it :D Fashion is more of a self-expression type thing, and while there are some pretentious gits in the fashion industry, it's one of the easiest ways to express who you are, in a way :D

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I dislike most of your opinions, actually.

Fashion exists for a reason, and if someone is willing to suffer and sweat to know how to make themselves look good that's their power. Form and aesthetic have a role in this world, screw that noise saying otherwise. Every style has legitimacy, and even if you don't like it I feel it should at least be respected. You guys have the right to judge, of course, but I have the right to judge you all for your judgement.

Edited by (g)ood (g)ame
  • Brohoof 2

i think the ladies can all agree on one thing:

fake pockets.

like, is it so hard to make real pockets? I have no where to put my phone!!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well, this is a rather pointless topic. Reveling in hate is going to get you nowhere, especially when there's people who are sincerely interested in what you hate >_> If you dislike something, just ignore it.

I guess I can throw sagging out there. I don't want to be see some dude's underwear as he's walking around, but really, that's it :D Fashion is more of a self-expression type thing, and while there are some pretentious gits in the fashion industry, it's one of the easiest ways to express who you are, in a way :D

I dislike most of your opinions, actually.

Fashion exists for a reason, and if someone is willing to suffer and sweat to know how to make themselves look good that's their power. Form and aesthetic have a role in this world, screw that noise saying otherwise. Every style has legitimacy, and even if you don't like it I feel it should at least be respected. You guys have the right to judge, of course, but I have the right to judge you all for your judgement.

I guess you're not getting our point, the problem is not telling others to not follow fashion, the problem comes from fashion "experts" who force us to follow it, they force us to leave our own style, they want to take out that part of our personalities, our favorite clothes dissapear from stores and they change it for unwearable rags, at least that's how I've been feeling in the last years of buying clothes.

Edited by RainbowMau

I guess you're not getting our point, the problem is not telling others to not follow fashion, the problem comes from fashion "experts" who force us to follow it, they force us to leave our own style, they want to take out that part of our personalities, our favorite clothes dissapear from stores and they change it for unwearable rags, at least that's how I've been feeling in the last years of buying clothes.

The problem is that your're assuming you have to listen and do what they say :huh: 

You don't. Just keep doing what you're doing, and honestly, I've never experienced what you've described in your last part of that. Styles change with the seasons, but I'm always able to look around and find something I like, and if I don't find it in that store, there's other clothing retailers out there.

• Brohoof 1

Fashion is temporary, style is forever. Following the trends of fashion is a way to look good for some, but for others timeless things or their own unique style works just as well if not better. What fashion really is is knowing how and when to use trends to your advantage. If you look good in the current in vogue thing then by all means, use it.

I hate when I see shit like thisattachicon.gifMichiko Koshino.jpg

This is the definition of haute couture, the making of clothes not necessarily for the sake of practicality but for the sake of art. It's being experimental with the human form, and nobody actually expects anybody to wear the more outlandish stuff thrown on runways.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

The problem is that your're assuming you have to listen and do what they say  :huh: 

You don't. Just keep doing what you're doing, and honestly, I've never experienced what you've described in your last part of that. Styles change with the seasons, but I'm always able to look around and find something I like, and if I don't find it in that store, there's other clothing retailers out there.

You don't obviously live with three fashion freaks like I did during a big part of my life, there were times in my childhood that I couldn't go outside with my favorite shoes cause my mother told me to change them cause they didn't combine with the pants I was wearing, my big sister critiques me lots of times because a piece of clothing I choose to wear is not a trend anymore and my little sister tells me that red shoes (my favorite color for shoes) don't combine with anything and she and my mother always tell me to buy shirts that are long to cover my butt because that's what guys are wearing, no matter if I hate them, and if I don't buy something I didn't like but they did they get mad at me, that's why everytime we go shopping together is a hell, and that's why I prefer to shop alone.

Edited by RainbowMau

(edited)

words

Sounds like a personal problem. Likely taking your frustration you feel towards them out on fashion in general, when it doesn't deserve it.

You shouldn't write off a whole lifestyle just because you had a bad experience with a few people in it, silly :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

Skinny jeans. Snap backs. Tank-tops with the sides ripped open.

They suck. Big time. Those are some of the worst fashion trends at the moment

(edited)

You've already metioned them, but I'm tired of how you can only find certain pieces of clothing at places like H & M and it's becoming more difficult to find 'special' designs then what's mainstream and hot right now.

This is not a thing I'm critical about in fashion, but more about how some people needs to comment on your clothes, sure I don't mind if people say my shirt is cool, but to say '' That shirt makes you look like a skank '', '' You're not going to wear that! '' or judge how I am out from my clothes are incredible annoying, hurting and stupid. It's already enough with how many people feel insecure and sensitive about their apperance, but to make things worse by commenting on others appearance when they didn't even ask for you opinion is just unnecessary. Beside you are more than your clothes and appearance.I know people who dress like some(minority) would define as 'needs more clothing' and the way they acted wasn't skanky or anything, they were perfectly normal.

I'm not extremely critical about the fashion industry (some points though), since I think everyone can wear whatever they want to, just as long you don't treat me or others rudely.

Edited by HeiressofArendelle
  • Brohoof 2

Sounds like a personal problem. Likely taking your frustration you feel towards them out on fashion in general, when it doesn't deserve it.

You shouldn't write off a whole lifestyle just because you had a bad experience with a few people in it, silly :D

Well, you need to experience it to know how it is, you know.

Well, you need to experience it to know how it is, you know.

No, I don't. 

While I can't say I relate to your frustration, it's obvious that you're writing off a whole lifestyle and hating it just because of a couple people. That'd be like me saying I hate all Rainbow Dash fans because of a bad experience I had with a couple of them on FimFic a while back. Would that be very fair?