Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 4 was not good

InvaderShy

You sir are a truly remarkable human being. A show for little girls, with no violence? What has become of this world? DAMN YOU DHX, DAMN YOU ALL THE HELL!

You should stop watching, it's clearly not your "taste".

• Brohoof 3

Apparently you think I'm trying to silence him? Not the case. He is free to his opinion, just as I am free to criticize that opinion.

But that isn't really fair criticism, definitely not anything constructive. You're just saying "stop watching if it sucks" - ok fine, but that doesn't address any of what he said regarding the quality of the show.

When I though the series couldn't be get worse with Equestria Girls, appeared a mediocre season 4.

Let me explain myself:

I didn't care the Twilicorn issue, because if it was hasty it could be used to increase series' potential. How? Well, now that Twilight is another mandatary her first work as a princess could be trying to negotiate with another country, who could be the hypothetical Equestria's archnemesis (Like the relation USA-USSR). 

In the first two episodes could be schemed an scenario like this: an extremist colonel/general from that Equestria's archnemesis country sends spies for stealing the elements of harmony and threat the Equestrian government announcing that if they don't hand over Manehattan, the Crystal Empire, Yanhoover and their outskirts to them, they shall use these elements of harmony and other weapons to turn Equestria in a desert.

Thus, the rest of the season would be about Twilight gaining time while her friends  and Discord try to recover the elements and with them kill that extremist colonel/general and the soldiers who share with him that warmongering nature. Princesses Celestia, Cadence and Luna would see if there's no informants inside Equestria's borders. Even with the end of this problem, there would be material for using in the 5th season

Sounds like a good story, isn't it? But no, we had to stand a two-part flashback where anormal seeds- not the Everfree Forest- grow and try to expand and appear an unnecesary tree which is the origin of elements, a bunch of bored Slice of Life episodes where you can see the word fanservice everywhere (Episode Power Ponies) and a finale which we can affirm it's a pseudo-plagiarism of some Dragon Ball episiodes.

Love triangles, bat ponies, a colt who wants to compete with Pinkie Pie for determinate who organize the best party, an event which is a cheap copy of the Olympic Games....wee...yay....What's next? A plagiarism from the FIFA World Cup? 

See what's my point? Since Magical Mystery Cure and Equestria Girls we're observing how this series is decaying slowly for turning, probably in the long-term, in another Spongebob. If you agree with me good, if not I don't care for it's your standpoint after all.

All I can say is: enjoy this series now that you can, for it will become completely forgettable in the next decades.

What i don't really get: You seem to want the show to be more dark and edgy... But isn't season four the darkest season so far? :huh:  There seems to be way more dark magic and evil monkeycentaurs than in previous ones. The finale was especially dark imho, with Tirek basically draining ponys of their "life energy".

(edited)

But that isn't really fair criticism, definitely not anything constructive. You're just saying "stop watching if it sucks" - ok fine, but that doesn't address any of what he said regarding the quality of the show.

Who are you to dictate what a fair criticism is, for one? And for another, it totally is a fair criticism. The burden is NOT on the writers of a show to bend over backwards for every whim or demand of a few self-entitled viewers. The burden is on the viewers themselves to decide, for themselves, whether or not a show is really worth their time.

Edited by Applethrash
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Ummm...he didn't need to address anything he said. 

If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it. The OP clearly doesn't like the show anymore, so he really shouldn't watch it if all it's going to do is force complaints. There's a lot better shows out there that suit what appears to be his taste, which is violence and what not.

Furthermore, I found it to be a fair criticism. What is and what isn't fair isn't for you to decide, m8.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 2

I'm 10 episodes into season 4, and I'm enjoying it so far. You're entitled to your opinion OP, but I don't think your idea would be a good direction for the show to take. I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, since you put your opinion out there, but said that you don't care about the opinions of others, so did you want to have a discussion or not? Were you simply looking for a reaction from the fan base(trolling)? Was the purpose just to rant, using this forum as an outlet, regardless of whether anyone read what you posted?

I will say that it really is something that a show that was meant to sell pony toys, is taken seriously enough that someone actually thinks a true war plot would be a good idea. A big part of what drew me into this fanbase is the fact that the show shatters all of the initial expectations one might have of a My Little Pony show. I would have thought it would be an average, or slightly below average show at best, but an episode that's average in quality, is deemed sub-par by the fanbase, because the series is usually above average, and that fascinates me. It also works in some pretty serious sub-plots, and people get wrapped up in these episodes.

Here's the thing though. It's still supposed to be a family friendly show. The target audience was always little girls, even though the show's creators do acknowledge Bronies, and I'm positive the existence of Bronies might have influenced the show to some extent. At the end of the day, the show still needs to be family friendly. Besides, I also enjoy the slice of life episodes. The show has some good action episodes, and episodes with grand plots, as well as musical episodes(and all three are often combined in a good season intro or finale), but it also has funny episodes, silly episodes, and even simple drama episodes. If the show stuck to one type of episode, it probably wouldn't have kept my attention as long as it has, simply because I think that's what keeps the show fresh.

Also, when a grand episode happens, it's made even better by the fact that it doesn't happen all the time. To quote Applejack from the end of the Crystal Empires arc, "good things are better when they're a rarity". I enjoy the grand episodes, and I also enjoy episodes with songs in them, but I also enjoy simple, non-musical episodes. I really don't know if the show could be grand all the time, and maintain the level of quality that it has. Well, that's all I have to say. I hope you have a wonderful day, and if you decide this fanbase isn't for you anymore, then I wish you all the best.

• Brohoof 3

I'm sorry you felt that way. For me, Season 4 was my favourite. The characters were each tested regarding their adherence to their element which I thought was brilliant. The Rainbow power idea was well thought out and its gradual introduction and mystery was really well executed. Twilight's struggle with her new role was explored and answered. The remainder of the Mane 6 got a lot more screen time and some golden episodes :) Tirek was a great finale villain and Discord was great throughout the season. 

Those are just a few things off the top of my head, but I loved it. I laughed, cried, got excited and a lot of other emotions were provoked by Season 4 :)

(edited)

I'm glad some of you tolerate my standpoint. 

It seems you got me wrong. I liked the Twilicorns idea, but not the way like Hasbro developed it. I mean, if you are one of the few who rule Equestria then you have to treat topics like poverty, war, political tensions, etc. Even if you think this is for kids it doesn't mean you can't take it to new horizons. The chid is innocent, but that doesn't mean he's stupid for not understanding real life problems; and those problems could be shown and exploted in this show.

No, I don't like writing fanfics. Moreover, I'd prefer writing a book than a fanfiction. 

Here's the thing. I agree that, just because MLP is a kids show, doesn't mean it cant tackle some serious things every once in a while. But MLP just isn't about that, never has been. Its always been more of a light hearted, character focused show that occasional gets into things a tad more serious. Its totally cool if you want a show that discusses topics like war, political tension, ect. but you're looking for it in the wrong place.

Something like Game of Thrones might be more of what you're looking for. If anime is more your thing, you might like Attack on Titan. I don't watch anime that much, so I cant recommend beyond that.

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 4

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, since you put your opinion out there, but said that you don't care about the opinions of others, so did you want to have a discussion or not? Were you simply looking for a reaction from the fan base(trolling)?

No, I'm not a troll.

When I said "If you agree good, if you don't I don't care" I wasn't trying to troll anybody. I just wanted to express my standpoint. I was saying this:"If you disagree it's OK, dude. No problem. Excellent if you liked it. Relax, no problem." 

Would you please leave that extremism? I just wanna discuss with all of you. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't wanna troll anybody. 

No, I'm not a troll.

Would you please leave that extremism? I just wanna discuss with all of you. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't wanna troll anybody.

It's ok. I wasn't trying to make it sound like I was calling you out or anything. I just wanted to know if you really wanted a discussion or not, and if not, why you made this thread. I'm glad you've acknowledged that you wanted a discussion.

Sure thing, put war, destruction, violence, despair and death in a show targeted for little kids! That'll definently not warrant any complains from legal guardians or give little children any emotional scars! :D

post-24988-0-85543400-1404322451_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
Sure thing, put war, destruction, violence, despair and death in a show targeted for little kids!

Well, Avatar the last airbender had a war as the main topic of its plot, there were scenes of violence, destruction (villages burning up) and, obviously, there were deaths without showing them in screen. 

Besides, King Sombra was killed with the crystal heart, we saw him exploding in pieces and that's violent. 

Edited by InvaderShy

this is true but that show was Y7 while MLP only Y on the age rateing scale so it can do more than MLP can in terms of dark topics like Blood bending that was just creeping and yes MLP can be creepy i just don't think it has the range of what is allowed that avatar did

You just can't have gore in a kid's show. If they ever do that, no more MLP. The parents would sue Hasbro, and they would get so many complaints that they would have to cancel the show. Go write fan fiction about it, we don't care if you write about Rainbow Dash/Pinkamena killing off every pony in Cloudsdale/Ponyville., but we can't have that in a freaking kid's show. Stop watching the show if you want gore, write fan fiction instead. You're not getting gore and blood and fandom Pinkamena in the show.

• Brohoof 2

So what you want is for MLP to become a gory political thriller instead of continuing to be a children-focused slice-of-life series.

Uh-huh.

492166.gif

Do you even understand what the show is about? Who it's made for? Because the target audience, families, ain't looking for political drama. Maybe you are, but the show doesn't have to conform to you or anyone else.

• Brohoof 5

Well, Avatar the last airbender had a war as the main topic of its plot, there were scenes of violence, destruction (villages burning up) and, obviously, there were deaths without showing them in screen. 

Besides, King Sombra was killed with the crystal heart, we saw him exploding in pieces and that's violent. 

mlp isn't avatar it has a completely different theme and everything it is also a Y show and changing that suddenly wouldn't be received very well.

• Brohoof 2

You just can't have gore in a kid's show. If they ever do that, no more MLP. The parents would sue Hasbro, and they would get so many complaints that they would have to cancel the show. Go write fan fiction about it, we don't care if you write about Rainbow Dash/Pinkamena killing off every pony in Cloudsdale/Ponyville.

1. I didn't say I wanted gore. I said I wanted it to have more intrigue now that Twilicorn is princess/mandatary with topics that  (I liked Twilicorn, by the way). 

2.Yeah, parents sue...but sue for everything. They sue GTA, Final Fantasy, etc. 

3. No thanks, I'd prefer to write a book rather writing a fanfic. 

(edited)

Avatar The Last Airbender and My Little Pony are two completely different shows aiming for different audiences

Edited by Big Boss
  • Brohoof 3

First off, I don't know why you are getting so much hate for giving your opinion on a cartoon. Common people.

Now, you are wrong, and here is why:

When I though the series couldn't be get worse with Equestria Girls, appeared a mediocre season 4.

Wrong:

Equestria Girls was a giant shout out to the community. Their many depictions of fan related content is just something that could not be done in the cannon show. Equestria Girls COULD have been a waste of screen time developed ONLY for selling more toys, but it wasn't. Equestria Girls is a spin-off, and comparing it to MLP or even expecting something relate-able is naive. Instead, you should be giving them props for not creating complete tripe, because they totally had the O.K. from Hasbro to do so. Instead, they gave us a big multi-million dollar hello.

Let me explain myself:

I didn't care the Twilicorn issue, because if it was hasty it could be used to increase series' potential. How? Well, now that Twilight is another mandatary her first work as a princess could be trying to negotiate with another country, who could be the hypothetical Equestria's archnemesis (Like the relation USA-USSR). 

Wrong:
Are you forgetting who this show is for? Talking about trade relations akin to NAFTA would be suicide, they would have to dumb it down to such an extent that a child could understand it.... oh wait, hold your horses, they totally did that in season four. Season 4, Episode 22, 'Trade Ya!' 

In the first two episodes could be schemed an scenario like this: an extremist colonel/general from that Equestria's archnemesis country sends spies for stealing the elements of harmony and threat the Equestrian government announcing that if they don't hand over Manehattan, the Crystal Empire, Yanhoover and their outskirts to them, they shall use these elements of harmony and other weapons to turn Equestria in a desert.

Thus, the rest of the season would be about Twilight gaining time while her friends  and Discord try to recover the elements and with them kill that extremist colonel/general and the soldiers who share with him that warmongering nature. Princesses Celestia, Cadence and Luna would see if there's no informants inside Equestria's borders. Even with the end of this problem, there would be material for using in the 5th season

Wrong:

So you would like My Little Pony, to depict the possibility of a dystopian post-apocalyptic waste land brought on by a WMD? Furthermore, that WMD is the EOH, a force describe as, and activated by, the good of friendship? The very foundation of this idea is flawed as fan-content, let alone cannon.

Sounds like a good story, isn't it? But no, we had to stand a two-part flashback where anormal seeds- not the Everfree Forest- grow and try to expand and appear an unnecesary tree which is the origin of elements, a bunch of bored Slice of Life episodes where you can see the word fanservice everywhere (Episode Power Ponies) and a finale which we can affirm it's a pseudo-plagiarism of some Dragon Ball episiodes.

Wrong:

No, your flawed fan-content does not sound like a good story.

- One, their use of the Tree of Harmony, is a shout-out to fans. The writers are taking precious screen time to establish some sort of mysterious back story for the otherwise 'sonic-screwdriver' nature of the EOH. This is a service to us.

- Two, the end fight scene is another amazing shout-out to fans. I guarantee the entire staff put their jobs on the line just SUGGESTING something this violent. It was epic, both on screen, and the fact they would go through such risk for us.

Love triangles, bat ponies, a colt who wants to compete with Pinkie Pie for determinate who organize the best party, an event which is a cheap copy of the Olympic Games....wee...yay....What's next? A plagiarism from the FIFA World Cup? 

Wrong:

Drawing inspiration from real life into fiction is not plagiarism or lazy writing. If it is, then you are calling Hockney, King, Poe, Rembrandt, Van Gogh, Shakespeare, and every other amazing artist from any time period a plagiarist. You hold the previous seasons on a pedestal, yet, their very nature relied off slice-of-life, the very thing you condemn season 4 for.

See what's my point? Since Magical Mystery Cure and Equestria Girls we're observing how this series is decaying slowly for turning, probably in the long-term, in another Spongebob. If you agree with me good, if not I don't care for it's your standpoint after all.

All I can say is: enjoy this series now that you can, for it will become completely forgettable in the next decades.

Wrong:

What makes this series amazing isn't the show itself. The show has always been a slighty sub-par children's animation (though it has it's moments and those moments are mostly in season 4). What makes this show downright absurd in its own awesomeness is the fan community around it. I've seen so many inspired to take up a brush, a pen, anything, just to create to reciprocate love! That is the truly amazing aspect of this show! To expect more, is just wrong.

• Brohoof 3

OH NO! They didn't have a season that followed your fanfic word for word!! The world is ending! Everyone must leave the fandom for the show is clearly going down the drain!!!!

Okay, look.

I truly can't believe what I just read. So you wanted that particular thing to happen. It didn't. There are a lot of cool things they COULD have done! But you know what they did do?

Give us a wonderful season with incredible stories, wonderful character development and amazing animation! Clearly, that's not enough for you.

Yeah, your idea is epic! It really is! Write it down! Post it of FimFiction! People will love it! But don't hate the show because it didn't do exactly what you wanted. That's selfish, childish, and ridiculous.

And you truly disliked everything you saw this season? Everything? Not even the Flutterbat concept, or the return of the Flim Flam Brothers, or the worldbuilding, or the new characters, or the astounding fight scenes? Nothing?

That's truly just sad.

The people who work on this show worked their butts off to give us one of the best seasons this show has ever had and all you do is complain. That's really sad.

So, my good sir or madam, the door is right there. Do you want to leave or not?

And just cause this song totally works here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yig4zUGVtAs

• Brohoof 5

I think it is time for you to move on. I disagreed with almost everything you said. Yeah sure I have noticed how the show has changed but it has not changed to the worse. Also, these "slice of life" episodes are the best ones.

Although I have not watched S4 yet, unfortunately, I can agree to this, since it happens to all shows. 

I would modify the statement to be: "enjoy this series while you can, for it will most likely become a show with no direction (no pun intended) in the next decade(s)." I've seen countless shows go down a path and never come back up.... I'm just hoping this one doesn't die too quickly because it's going strong from what I've watched so far. 

Then again, we could have "that one show" where it just is good. I mean, many of the shows out there have to do with life's dramas and issues as well as the somewhat more frequently occurring mild-humor/puns.

On the other hand, this show also has to do with life's dramas and issues.... and how to deal with them, humor and puns.... but suited for all age groups, as well as something the majority of popular shows don't have these days: core values for life (i.e. friendship, respect, etc)

Final comment.... Let's not bash the guy. It's his own opinion, and although he brought it on himself to put his opinions out in the open, it doesn't mean that we need to tear his opinions apart. It's just an opinion.