Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Feminist Club!

Jennabun

(edited)

Welcome to the

:fluttershy: FEMINIST CLUB! :)

[Pro-Feminist Discussion Thread]

This thread endorses and encourages this definition of "feminist:"

feminist (n): a person who advocates for social, political, legal, and economic rights for women equal to those of men.

img-2812831-1-15rxh0m.jpg

[fan art source]

PLEASE READ: THIS THREAD DOES NOT ENDORSE IDEAS OF FEMALE SUPERIORITY OVER MALES, NOR DOES IT ENDORSE THE EXCLUSION OF TRANS WOMEN. If you join the discussion, it will automatically be assumed that you also are here to promote EQUALITY. I actively discourage people from writing long posts clarifying that they don't believe in so-called "radical feminism" because it is already understood that the widely-accepted definition of feminism does not promote female domination or transphobia in any way, shape, or form. Thank you!

Also, respect this message from the admin team:

Okay everybody in this thread please take a moment to read this post.

The staff has discussed this thread, and we're faced with a pretty difficult situation. In the past few days, this thread has been home to arguments, troll posts, and tons of other problem comment. Normally, this thread would probably have been locked because it's devolved into arguments and frankly is causing the staff to have to spend way too much time babysitting it. But I want to keep this thread open. I really do.

So here's what we're going to do... this thread is going to stay open, and stay out of the debate pit. It will remain open for the time being, and remain as a thread for pro-feminism discussion only. But the moderators can't do this alone. In order for this thread to remain open, we need the people who want to keep this thread alive to help.

First of all, do not engage any problematic posts in discussion. Don't reply to them, and do not talk about those posts. Whether the post is an anti-feminist post, off-topic, or simply a post that's mean and making overly harsh comments about men, just leave it. Then I want you to hit the report button and let the staff know. If you can do this for us, then moderating this thread is as simple as deleting problem posts and addressing problems with individual users. If you continue to engage these people in discussion, however, we have to sort out which posts need to be deleted, and try and salvage the discussion which often has gone completely off topic.

In short, if you see anything which might be a problem post, hit the report button and then ignore it. Hopefully we'll be able to keep this thread open, and keep it a peaceful discussion.

:icwudt: Purpose B)

The purpose of this thread is to provide a forum specifically for feminist (or feminist supporters, if you prefer not to label yourself) to discuss feminism in a positive way. I've found that being pro-feminist in the MLP fandom can, ironically, be an alienating and discouraging experience. It's getting increasingly difficult to bring up sensitive issues related to gender equality without people getting very defensive or angry. For these reasons, I've found myself wanting to discuss feminism is relation to my life or in relation to My Little Pony, but felt there was no safe place for me to do so. I thought to myself, "I can't be the only person who feels this way!" Therefore, I thought creating a thread specifically for people searching for other feminist-minded fans would be beneficial and healthy for the fandom at large.

img-2812831-2-2itrdkn.png

[fan art source]

:derp: Rules  :please: 

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU READ THESE RULES BEFORE POSTING.

Adhere to the following rules while participating in this discussion thread:

- Please only post here if you are a feminist or a feminist supporter. This thread ISN'T in the debate pit for a reason. The people in this thread aren't here to debate anti-feminists, we're here to calmly discuss feminist-related issues without getting attacked in any way. If you'd like to debate feminists rather than support feminists, post here instead.

- Please ensure all content is germane to feminism in some way. It can be about how feminism affects your life IRL or about feminism in MLP - just make sure you're on topic and that your posts are feminist-positive.

- Do not spam.

- Please keep discussion respectful and mature at all times.

- Be sure to have fun and make some friends :3

img-2812831-3-bfs4nl.png

[fan art source]

:love: What to Discuss :pinkie:

If you want to post to the thread but are unsure about what to post, feel free to answer these prompts (Note that you are in no way limited to the below suggestions, however!):

- When and why did you become a feminist?

- Why do you think feminism is still relevant to today's world?

- What is difficult about being a feminist in general?

- How do you think feminism gets treated in the MLP fandom?

- How does MLP support your feminist values?

- How do people react when you say you're a feminist?

- What is awesome about being a feminist?

- How has feminism affected you personally?

- What is a current feminist issue that has come up in the news that you'd like to discuss?

- What are some good feminist quotes, graphics, or articles?

img-2812831-4-10418uq.png

[fan art source]

:squee: Happy Posting! :nom:

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 29

Ooh. I would love to join this discussion. :squee:

I feel all the threads here are asking why feminism exists instead of supporting it.

• Brohoof 5

Hi! I decided that I wanted to be a feminist when I was told that "girls shouldn't ride horses because they're not strong enough." (In reality, more females start equestrian related sports than males) I was upset about this, seeing that it doesn't matter if you're a girl or boy riding. The horse won't care. 

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Ooh. I would love to join this discussion. :squee:

I feel all the threads here are asking why feminism exists instead of supporting it.

Exactly. That's an issue I've always had here (pretty much the only issue, actually). I can't seem to be able to say anything with "the f word" without getting a slew of angry, negative responses.  :(  It makes me realize why so many feminists sadly end up leaving the fandom. I don't think that's the best answer to the issue though - I think it's more productive for feminists to create a space FOR themselves in the fandom rather than leaving it. It might end up making things better! :D

Hi! I decided that I wanted to be a feminist when I was told that "girls shouldn't ride horses because they're not strong enough." (In reality, more females start equestrian related sports than males) I was upset about this, seeing that it doesn't matter if you're a girl or boy riding. The horse won't care. 

That is so silly that someone said that to you. You're not alone though. I feel like women and girls in a lot of athletic fields get the same type of crap said to them. Probably why I never got into athletics besides cheerleading - if you're a female athlete, you're often made to feel like you don't belong. It's hard - I respect any woman who can hold their own in a physical competition!

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 3

Having a girlfriend (03 to 07) who was a staunch feminist, as well as having strong female co-workers and a great mother, has influenced my line of thinking.

Consider me a feminist. :)

• Brohoof 5

I guess i could be considered a feminist supported even tho im male.

I am interested in seeing women equally treated in society,especially as far as the workplace. Honestly i only found out that women are payed less than men on average in the workforce just a few years ago,and it boggles my mind that just because someone is female they were(and still are if im not mistaken) being payed less.

Granted im a little 'detached' from the world,but i still don't see a valid reason for women to have to fight for equal pay as this shouldn't even be a issue,everyone regardless of gender should get equal pay in the workplace,in proportion to the job they have of course.

Regardless of my dumbfounded state on the issue of equal pay,i do hope to see this particular issue resolved as i feel gender is not a valid reason to pay somebody less.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

I grew up a feminist. My mother is one- she runs therapy groups for women who went through sexual abuse. She raised me to know that just because I was a women, that didn't limits self-worth.

I personally believe that this show is a strong example of feminism. Lauren Faust herself is a feminist. Every female character in the show is a strong female who don't put all their focus on men. I think this answers the third question too.

When I say I'm a feminist, it depends. Some people nod and smile while others instantly change their opinion of me. Sadly, my sister rolled her eyes and said that I'd better not become like those b*tchy feminists.

Honestly, being a feminist made me more sure in my beliefs. I feel like it also helped me to realize what is needed to change for women to become equal.

I guess i could be considered a feminist supported even tho im male.

Just because you're a guy doesn't mean you can't be a feminist. :D

Edited by Destiny
  • Brohoof 4

I have always been a tomboy, and am used to being faced with gender role issues, so I guess I've been a feminist since the day I started getting in trouble for playing tackle football with the boys in elementary school.

Recently, my husband and I were looking to do VOLUNTARY blacksmithing demonstrations for a living history show. We were fairly excited about it, but then the head cheese (who was a woman), told us that I could not blacksmith because women did not do that historically.  I cannot tell you how mad that made me, and how historically inaccurate that is (traditionally, women helped their husbands if there was no apprentice or children due to that being their livelihood as artisans). Grinds my gears, big time.

Anyway, I cannot say I'm a radical feminist though. I guess my point of view comes from the side where male domination has really wrecked my life (I've been molested, raped, and abused). In that area, I have a vehement flame for equality for both sides of the coin (the gender switched version of abuse is also a growing problem). But as far as political and especially religious matters, I stay out of it, because I do not see it mattering very much compared to the bigger problems our political and religious systems have.

Never compared MLP to feminism, although I do hate, and I mean H.A.T.E. being called a "pegasister." As far as that whole area of the fandom goes, I have boobs, yes...but I do blacksmithing, welding, machining, laborious farm work. I wanted to marry Bigfoot the Monster Truck as a kid, and I burned Barbies....if you think I'm a girly girl, then you are dead wrong. The only man who sees the feminine side of me is my husband, and even he was thrown off by me becoming a brony, solely because of my masculine personality.

I think the biggest problem with feminism in the Western world is the problem of it being overall too radical. I don't know how to put it....it reminds me of the Bible thumpers who try to shove Christianity down your throat.  It's so much in your face that you cannot help but react to it in an extreme manner, and oftentimes that doesn't help the cause of feminism as least in the West.

However, in the East, there are many problems in which I'd be killing guys over the treatment of women and young girls. I think there needs to be extreme and drastic measures taken to ensure the safety and basic livelihood of women, especially in Africa and the Middle East. I am not talking about the hijab, I am talking about the second class nature women and girls are considered. Being nothing more than property to be used is sickening to such an intense degree. I know what it feels like, and I don't want any to suffer through that, even if they are culturally used to it, it's still wrong! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

I really feel like putting something funny in regards to the weather in this...to lighten it up somehow....I guess I have some extreme stances, but it's out of raw experience, not beliefs. I don't tell people, mainly because it's not something I think about discussing unless a topic calls for discussion on certain aspects in which my feeling lay. I prefer to avoid arguing, because it's all opinion...

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Bless you~ We so totally needed this thread~  :wub:  I was going to post this in the debate threads but I think this applies here more appropriately.

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy
  • Brohoof 7

very important quote here.

That's awful that you were unallowed to participate as a blacksmith because of the woman's ignorance.

It's very empowering to hear that even though those horrible things happened to you, you haven't let that drag you down. I also do not agree with the term pegasister. I feel like it separates us from bronies just because we're females. Personally, I can not stand radical feminists. Not all men need to die, and women do not read to become the master sex. I just want equality, safety, and the freedom to use birth control without it being outlawed. I agree, women in the Middle East, Africa, and in Asia are horribly oppressed.

• Brohoof 9

I'm all for women wanting equal rights, I definitely support that. It's when they think they're better than me I have a problem with it. As a brother of 2 sisters, they're no different than me really.

• Brohoof 7

I've never quite gotten a full understanding of what, exactly, feminism is. I'll see some folks demanding that women be treated better than men in the name of feminism, or expecting equal treatment when it's convenient to them but still expecting special treatment when it benefits them. The kind of woman who cries "Discrimination!" when a man with ten times her credentials and experience gets the job. But then there are folks like y'all who, far as I can tell, just think men and women should have the same opportunities in life. Since everyone has such different ideas of the specifics of what feminism is, I don't want to just say "I am a feminist!" But this is what I believe:

Men and women are different. Biologically, physiologically, psychologically--they're just different. As such, I think men and women are generally better suited to different jobs, but I don't think that's universally true. Some women are just better at traditionally "masculine" jobs than at "feminine" ones, and vice versa with men. Thus, men and women ought to have the same opportunities, and if a particular woman can meet the same standards required of men for a job, there's no reason she shouldn't get it just for being a woman. They should certainly be paid the same for doing the same job. They ought not expect to have it just as easy as men in some generally "men's" jobs, though, just like men shouldn't expect to have it as easy as women in generally "women's" jobs, because again, men and women are different, and those generalizations are there because they generally apply. I.e., it's generally going to be more difficult for a woman to meet the job requirements for, say, a construction job that it would be for a man, because the fact is that men are generally stronger, while men would generally have more trouble in, say, home decor or fashion because women tend to be more observant and alert to small details.

tl;dr: women should have the same opportunities as men, but that also means they should be held to the same standards in any given circumstance.

One last thing I'll say is that it kinda bugs me when women are offended by chivalry. It is by no means a man's way of saying that women are weak; rather, it is a man's way of recognizing that women are, in fact, different than men, and that there is something innately honorable about women, that they ought to be honored simply for being women.

I hope that's not getting too off the original topic. But that's my two cents! :)

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

I've been a feminist for about 3 years not sure why just want equal rights and maybe it was because of my trauma

It is even though we've gotten so much in our fight we're still not totally on par

Being labelled as crazy or extremist...one bad apple ruins the bushel eh?

We're all one of the same females and males are equal in this fandom

In a way yes! It kinda pushes gender roles a bit. Apple jack can farm like the male family members she has. Twilight has become a leader of equestria,Pinkie isn't afraid to be herself,Rarity is not just fashion forward she's passionate about her work and it speaks volumes,Fluttershy is the only one that kinda fits her "role"

I usually get a scoff and a disgusted look but hey...

Being able to meet other cool people and see the difference made

I am female identified.

None at the moment

Edited by UnbreakableHeart
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

I wholly support equal rights for women because all people, regardless of race, gender or other factors, are equally valuable.

Interesting, I never really noticed MLP's flouting of gender roles, most of it seemed fairly normal to me. Twilight is finally giving girls a scholarly character to look up to, so that's good.

I think the reason some people take issue with feminists is that it's hard to distinguish between the feminists who push for equal rights and an end to patriarchy (whom I fully support) and the feminists who want to be better than men and want to institute a matriarchy, which is just flipping around the oppressors and the oppressed and gets us right back where we started.

Edited by Archi the Sandworm
  • Brohoof 3

I think the reason some people take issue with feminists is that it's hard to distinguish between the feminists who push for equal rights and an end to patriarchy (whom I fully support) and the feminists who want to be better than men and want to institute a matriarchy, which is just flipping around the oppressors and the oppressed and gets us right back where we started.

I agree. I do not want a matriachy. I only want equality for both men and women. I don't think there needs to be a weaker gender. It really gets me irritated when feminists say things like, "Men can't be raped!" or "Men should have less pay!" no no no. That just sets us back and also makes us look bad.

• Brohoof 7

I do not consider myself a feminist, but I a am a strong follower of equal rights. No one should be discriminated or treated differently based on gender.

I hope this thread doesn't get invaded by the extremists...

• Brohoof 5

I am not a feminist, too much bad blood with that name. However, I like what you in particular are doing. This is the feminism that SHOULD have the loudest voice, even if it doesn't

Anyway, i have a question. Is your period a good excuse to take off work?

(edited)

I've never quite gotten a full understanding of what, exactly, feminism is. I'll see some folks demanding that women be treated better than men in the name of feminism, or expecting equal treatment when it's convenient to them but still expecting special treatment when it benefits them. The kind of woman who cries "Discrimination!" when a man with ten times her credentials and experience gets the job. But then there are folks like y'all who, far as I can tell, just think men and women should have the same opportunities in life. Since everyone has such different ideas of the specifics of what feminism is, I don't want to just say "I am a feminist!" But this is what I believe:

Men and women are different. Biologically, physiologically, psychologically--they're just different. As such, I think men and women are generally better suited to different jobs, but I don't think that's universally true. Some women are just better at traditionally "masculine" jobs than at "feminine" ones, and vice versa with men. Thus, men and women ought to have the same opportunities, and if a particular woman can meet the same standards required of men for a job, there's no reason she shouldn't get it just for being a woman. They should certainly be paid the same for doing the same job. They ought not expect to have it just as easy as men in some generally "men's" jobs, though, just like men shouldn't expect to have it as easy as women in generally "women's" jobs, because again, men and women are different, and those generalizations are there because they generally apply. I.e., it's generally going to be more difficult for a woman to meet the job requirements for, say, a construction job that it would be for a man, because the fact is that men are generally stronger, while men would generally have more trouble in, say, home decor or fashion because women tend to be more observant and alert to small details.

tl;dr: women should have the same opportunities as men, but that also means they should be held to the same standards in any given circumstance.

One last thing I'll say is that it kinda bugs me when women are offended by chivalry. It is by no means a man's way of saying that women are weak; rather, it is a man's way of recognizing that women are, in fact, different than men, and that there is something innately honorable about women, that they ought to be honored simply for being women.

I hope that's not getting too off the original topic. But that's my two cents! :)

Just FYI - this is the kind of content I might consider too "debate-like" to be on this thread. It's not that you said anything rude or anything, but I just want this thread to be for people who already know they are completely on board with feminism. A big part of feminism is deconstructing the idea of gender roles and the idea that "men are better at x and women are better at y" - feminists believe gender roles hurt women and men. You say you agree with that kinda thing, so I don't think it really fits here. If you want to debate that kinda thing, i'd suggest making a thread in the debate pit about it - should be interesting!

I agree. I do not want a matriachy. I only want equality for both men and women. I don't think there needs to be a weaker gender. It really gets me irritated when feminists say things like, "Men can't be raped!" or "Men should have less pay!" no no no. That just sets us back and also makes us look bad.

I think women who actually think that way are a very slim minority - a niche group of "feminist" extremists that i frankly wouldn't even call feminists. For the record, so people can be assured, my feminism does not associate with those extremists and that kind of thinking will not be encouraged on this thread! Men and women both need feminism so tha we can coexist, not so we can create new power inequalities. That's not the purpose of the movement at all - anyone who thinks so is tragically misinformed.

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 3

Just FYI - this is the kind of content I might consider too "debate-like" to be on this thread. It's not that you said anything rude or anything, but I just want this thread to be for people who already know they are completely on board with feminism. A big part of feminism is deconstructing the idea of gender roles and the idea that "men are better at x and women are better at y" - feminists believe gender roles hurt women and men. You say you agree with that kinda thing, so I don't think it really fits here. If you want to debate that kinda thing, i'd suggest making a thread in the debate pit about it - should be interesting!

I think women who actually think that way are a very slim minority - a niche group of "feminist" extremists that i frankly wouldn't even call feminists. For the record, so people can be assured, my feminism does not associate with those extremists and that kind of thinking will not be encouraged on this thread! Men and women both need feminism so tha we can coexist, not so we can create new power inequalities. That's not the purpose of the movement at all - anyone who thinks so is tragically misinformed.

Ah, my apologies! I'll see myself out, then.

Carry on, y'all!

Ah, my apologies! I'll see myself out, then.

Carry on, y'all!

No worries friend :) Thanks for your politeness; I truly appreciate it.

The bad thing is that the minority extremist groups often have the loudest voices and, therefore, are more easily noticed. It's like moderate Republicans not wanting anything to do with the Tea Party.

Of course, and the media gives attention to the most extreme of views, it seems. >_<

• Brohoof 2

I don't really have much to add to this thread, but I do consider myself a feminist of some sort, since I support equality between men and women. Like Shadow said, no one should be discriminated due to their gender, which goes for both males and females.

I like that MLP has a lot of strong female leads, although it would be nice to see a mare or two in the royal guard. But that's just me being picky :P

• Brohoof 3

The bad thing is that the minority extremist groups often have the loudest voices and, therefore, are more easily noticed. It's like moderate Republicans not wanting anything to do with the Tea Party.

Of course, and the media gives attention to the most extreme of views, it seems. >_<

Exactly. There are actually very few of us who think like this. But, they tend to scream the loudest, unfortunately. By the way, those type of feminists are called radical feminists. Or ugh, femi-nazis. Though I hate that term, myself.

• Brohoof 3

Exactly. There are actually very few of us who think like this. But, they tend to scream the loudest, unfortunately. By the way, those type of feminists are called radical feminists. Or ugh, femi-nazis. Though I hate that term, myself.

I don't care for the term either, but there's a reason why it's attributed to them. >_<

Not to mention that fact that with the media, the most extreme views tend to bring in the most viewers. Now, I'm not saying that the media completely ignores the moderates, but...yeah, you get my point. *Sigh.*

• Brohoof 1