Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Dustbowl Caravan

HunterTSN

(edited)

OOC

@@PoisonPegasus@@@AppleLover@@@KingOfIcecream

A train whistle echoed across the vast plains as Tumbleweed pushed open the swinging doors of the small saloon. Pocketing his poker winnings in his coat, he stepped off the worn porch and looked down the red-clay street. The sides of the road were lined with shabby wooden buildings and at the other end of town lay a modest wooden train platform with a squeaky sign that read Deerango Train Station. Another whistle echoed through the quiet town and Tumbleweed could see the black locomotive speeding towards the small depot. Sighing, he began to make his way towards the terminal to greet the ponies he was about to lead through one of the most hellish places in Equestria. 'Wonder where Beastly's gotten off to' he thought to himself as he hiked up the stairs to the train platform.

Ruby Red checked her makeup in the reflective window of the train car. The rolling plains outside causing her to flash back to her younger days when she dreamed of such adventures as this. "If only my parent's could see me now" she said to herself, 'I'd probably get a slap across the face and thrown out the door' she added with a smile as she imagined her parents reaction to their filly's current profession. Suddenly a jarring screech rattled the car and another quick glance out the window confirmed that she had reached her destination. She quickly straightened her mane and smoothed her frock before sliding out of her booth and down the isle towards the door.

((Just to make sure everything is clear, all of the characters sans Tumbleweed and Beastly will arrive on the train such as Ruby.))

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)

Beastly winced as the train whistle blew again. Since living in the deserts and plains, he trained his hearing to be more sensitive. The only downside was that loud noises would bother him terribly.

As he rubbed his ear, he didn't hear tumblweed coming, and ended up bumming into him.

A zebra gathered his things and walked towards the door. Zaidor had traveled long and far, and the train ride didn't help with keeping his glass bottles from breaking. As he approached the door, he bumped into, what he thought, the most beautiful mares he'd ever seen.

(edited)

Forge loved heat, it was his life. You couldn't run a smith without the nice warm glow of a fire. But one thing he couldn't stand, was the desert. It was just too hot and sandy. "I don't like sand. It's coarse and irritating and it gets everywhere." He mumbles to himself under the sound of the trains screeching whistle as he makes his way off of it. He brushes past a Zebra and a mare, swears harshly under his breath when two ponies bump in to each other, blocking the way off the platform, and finally manages to get out of the station. As he steps out in to the sun, he pulls a hat (cowboy hat would be called a...cow-pony hat?) out and pulls it down low over his head, providing him with a minor respite from the blinding light. He makes his way to the local saloon and, taking a seat in front of the bar, asks the bartender for something strong. He drops a few bits on the counter, and awaits his drink.

Edited by Fictional_Author7

When Little Wind stepped off the train, he saw sand and bright light's everywhere. 'This may not be such a good idea'  he thought. He looked around, looking for an inn or someplace that he could get a bed. After looking for five minutes, he saw nothing but wooden buildings. He decided to walk down the street and see if he can find something that even remotely resembles an inn. He saw swinging doors a few buildings up and he immediately thought Saloon. 'Maybe they'll have a room I can use' he thought. It was worth a shot, so he trotted towards, feeing in his saddlebag to make sure he had enough bit's (Are we using bits, or some other type of money?). Feeling the 150 his mother had given him at the start of his journey, he felt confident that he had enough.

(edited)

@@PoisonPegasus

Tumbleweed looked over as he felt Beastly walk into his side. "I was wondering where you'd gotten off to, did you find everythin?" he asked the feral-looking pegasus who he had sent off to gather the necessary food and materials they would need for their voyage.

Ruby jumped as she felt something press against her back, looking over shoulder her eyes met those of a young zebra stallion. She smirked when she saw the the faint blush that spread across his striped face. "Please excuse me, I must have been blocking the doorway, how silly of me" she said wirh just a tad of flirtiness. Noticing ponies were pushing past, she sent a wink his way and slipped outside. Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)

Beastly nodded once. It was a rare moment when he spoke, but Tumbleweed managed to gain his trust. "Was not easy." He grunted, and looked around. "We go now, or later?"

Zaidor stood there, bewitched, for a moment until somepony yelled a swear at him. He stepped outside and took a deep breath. "Ah, what a glorious day!" He sung, and started to walk into town.

@@PoisonPegasus

Tumbleweed watched as passengers walked off the train, finally he turned to Beastly. "I'm sure they've had themselves a long day, see if you can root out some of the group and let them know we're leaving from the station at dawn" he said as he gave a list of names to his partner. "While you're at it, why don't ya let 'em know there's poker at the saloon tonight " he added as a last minute thought.

Beastly nodded and took the list. With a final grunt, he walked off. He had only gone a few steps, when he stopped. Suddenly-

*BANG*

A bullet whizzed past him, missing by only inches. Somepony shouted a 'sorry' in his direction.

Zaidor walked around, catching the attention of a few mares. He hardly ever paid any mind to things of that sort, but after 'her', his whole view on mares had changed. 'I didn't even get her name...' He thought.

LIttle Wind had trotted up to what looked like a saloon. He could hear a piano going off and ponies shuffling about. 'Well, best to head in and find myself a bed'. He pushed through the swinging doors and was hit by the smell of Whiskey. His mouth was watering at the thought, but he slapped himself with his left hoof, and shook his head. "Keep it together Wind. You can get a drink after you get a bed. If there even is one open." he whispered to himself. He passed a few ponies playing Poker and saw one of the ponies slip a card off the table. The pony saw Little Wind, and almost panicked, but Little Wind just winked at him and left to the bar. He Sat on a stool that was there. "Hey! barkeep, I was wondering if there was a room for rent?" he asked, showing his bag of bits. 

(edited)

Forge was nursing his drink when a younger stallion walked in to the saloon. Forge was going to ignore him, but then the kid pulled out his bag of money and yelled about a room. Forge finished off his drink in one large gulp, then walked over to the young stallion, grabbing his shoulder with one hoof and levitating the kids bits with is horn so they came off thebar and landed in the new comers lap. Forge then whispered, a little more harshly then he intended, to him, "Buddy, what are you crazy? Don't go flaunting a bag of bits that bit around. You're libel to wake up with a knife in your back." Forge let go of him then and, after making sure the kid still had ahold of his bits, Forge turned around to leave, yelling over his shoulder "Gotta be more careful kid! This isn't Canterlot."

@@AppleLover

(edited)

Once Beastly was out of sight (and not the victim of a stray bullet) Tumbleweed turned and hopped off the platform. 'Might as well help get the word out before it starts getting late' he thought before heading down the only street in Deerango.

@@AppleLover

The bartender watched the exchange with a bemused expression before turning to the young stallion. "He's right you know, see that pony over there?" he said indicating to a tough looking stallion at one of the poker tables. He leaned in closer and whispered, "that's Domino Jack, he just comes in and plays a round or two ta' find out who's got the riches, then his gang ambushes them as soon as they step outta the town jurisdiction." The bartender leaned back again, "so you said you need a room right, that's forty bits a night, add twenty and you get drinks and some dinner with, whadd'ya say kid?"

(edited)

Forge was about to push the doors open to leave when he heard the price of rooms being discussed. Forge let out a sigh and came back to the bar. He walked up to the bar keeper and asked "How many more rooms you got left?" He pulled a few bits out and swore. "D'arvit! I don't have enough. I only got 35...no wait, sorry 37. Could I still room for 37?"

@

@

The barkeep seemed to think a second before smiling. "You seem trustworthy, listen I'll cut you a deal. My lil brother is that down on 'is luck chap at the end o' the bar, his fiancée up an' left for the mainland few days back, an' with out so much as a goodbye no less. He run's the smithy 'round here and he's got so mucha the good drink in him I'm afraid he'll wander out in the desert and get picked up by them Deer if I let 'im. Drag the kid home in one piece and I'll give ya the room for twenty, his forge is about three signs down on the left, ya can't miss it" the gruff bartender said pointing at a young stallion passed out on the bar before going back to drying glasses.

(edited)

Forge looked down the bar and groaned. "Alright. I'll see to it." He got up and went down to the bar keep's brother and sat down next to him. "So, I hear you're the local smith hmm? I'm actually a smith by trade. Name's Forge. Your brother wants me to make sure you make it home in one piece, and from the amount of empty mugs around you, I think you're gonna need it."

@

Little Wind stared at the Unicorns who may have just saved his life. 'Damn, maybe I should be more careful' he thought. He heard what the bartender said about the rooms, and sighed. 'Alright, so I can stay for three nights if I skip two dinners, or I can stay two night's and have a little extra left over.' he thought. "Ah screw it, yeah, I'll take that room. You said 40 for just the room, and 20 with dinner and drinks right?" he asked. He tried to sneakily grab out 60 bits, and handed them over to the bartender. 

(edited)

@

The young stallion looked up with droopy eyes that tried to no avail to focus on Forge's face. "Did ssshe come back? No. No. No. No sh'll neverr coming back I shhould jusht... jusssht going home" the obviously intoxicated colt said as he attempted to stand on his own, only to fall face first onto the bar.

@@AppleLover

The barkeep smiled as he took Wind's bits and pocketed them in his apron. "You got yerself a deal kid. Room's are up the stairs, take the first one that's free" he said as he threw a small silver key onto the bar in front of Little Wind. "There's yer room key, show it to one of the waiters later tonight and they'll bring you a menu."

(edited)

@

Forge used his magic to help pull the colt back on to his feet where he moved to support him. "Easy now" he heard himself saying."There we go, let's get you home." Forge helped the kid outside. He stopped and looked around, getting his sense of direction straight. "Alright, c'mon kid. Let's get you home."

(edited)

"sir" "sir" "Sir" "Sir!", said a very much angered conductor to Seven High, "If you're done napping, we're ready to head out and we were wondering if it wouldn't be to much trouble for you to please gather your belongings and exit now."

"Oh, eeeeeeeerrr....- Y- Yeess. Of courrse." Seven High said very groggily. An earsplitting shot sounded throughout the train followed by a very faint "sorry." His head jolted up and he was scrambling to gain a hold of himself. Then, the train whistle fully brought Seven High to his senses. The train was completely empty except for him and the conductor. Without a word Seven High struggled to stand up and stumbled past the conductor. The blinding light was not a sweet wake up call for Seven High, but as his eyes adjusted, he could faintly read the holy text, "saloon". For Seven High, that establishment was a tropical oasis in this barren desert. "Now that's mmy kind o' welcomin' party." He scuffled to the entrance and pushed open the doors. He scanned the room for the bar. Target acquired. He leisurely walked over to the bar slapped his hoof onto the bar and told the bartender, "Haaaaay, howss 'bouta game o' blackjack?" He looked up and realized he was talking to the bartender. He retracted his statement saying, "N-No... Yer not the..." and walked away. He found a rather tough looking stallion sitting at one of the poker tables and told him, "Gimme a whiskey, barkeep. An' put it on the rockss." Yet again, he had found the wrong man for the wrong job. "N- No... Not yyou either, eh??" He got up from the table and slumped back over to the bar. "Gimme a whiskey, barkeep!" @TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)

Edited by KingOfIcecream

(edited)

@,

"Ya know, yoush a real shtand up mare, hell I'd marry you but I'sh already hitched ya see. My financeé ish 'onna back shoon and I shust dowanna give her the wrong emp, impshn, ipereshish, impreshin" the impaired stallion managed to slur before falling fast asleep.

@@KingOfIcecream

The bartender frowned down at the short brown pony staggering through his bar. "Sir I'm gonna need ta see some bits before you come in demanding something from me, now yer gonna sober up and show me a little money and respect or I'm afraid yer gonna be getting real familiar with the door" he said rolling up his sleeves to reveal the not unimpressive muscles underneath.

((I hearby decree that there is way too much drunkenness going around for this early in the RP))

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@

Forge nodded and picked the kid up from where he'd fallen asleep, moving him to a bed he found in the corner of the smith. Forge was about to leave when he remembered what the barkeep said about him being down on his luck. Forge groaned. Mumbled a few explitives and the word conscience, and put the 20 bits he would've saved running this errand down on the table next to the door. He then slipped out quietly, locking the door behind him, and headed back towards the saloon.

"Alright, thank you sir." Little Wind said. He was about to go and find his room when he notices a short little pony waltz in. Little Wind didn't know what he was doing, but he looked like he was either trying to find a drink or a game of poker, by the way he went up to Domino like that. 'What's his name again? Wasn't it Domino Jack? Yeah, that's it. That pony has a lot of courage if what these townsfolk say is true. Or, the bartender anyway.' He shrugged his shoulder's and trotted towards the stairs. They weren't too big, he jumped over most to get up faster. He trotted his way down the hall until he found a room that was open. Third on the right, and it looked like some one had just left, if the smell was anything to go by. Wind shook his head and spotted a chest. he put his things in it, and laid down on the bed to think, the key in his mouth. 

Seven High's vision was rather blurred and made everything look fuzzy. Seven High couldn't tell that the bartender had noodle arms, so he just gave a grunt and wobbled away. He only had thirty bits, and the majority of that was spent on the train ride over to Deerango. He sat down at one of the empty card tables, pulled out a deck of cards from his breast pocket, and began to play the lonely man's card game... Solitare.

After finding almost half of the ponies on the list, Beastly walked around, searching for Tumbleweed. He went into a saloon, and accidentally slammed the door too hard, making a loud thud. Everypony looked up to see who had came in. Earning a disapproving glare from the bartender, Beastly walked toward the bar to ask if he seen Tumbleweed.

(edited)

((I should just go ahead and make the bartender an OC :P))

@@PoisonPegasus

"He was in earlier, I figured he'd joined up with you by know" the barkeep told Beastly. "If yer willin' to wait fer a bit, I'm sure he'll be back in before the sun sets" he added passing a glass of cold water to the pegasus. "Let me know if you need anything else."

@

"You wouldn't happen ta be named Forge now, would ya?" Tumbleweed asked a grey unicorn walking the street. "Pardon me if I'm wrong, we don't get many of you unicorns this far south o' Dodge unless they're on their way to Neighvada ya see. The name's Tumbleweed, I run the caravan 'round here" he said extending a hoof in greeting.

(edited)

@,

"You wouldn't happen ta be named Forge now, would ya?" Tumbleweed asked a grey unicorn walking the street. "Pardon me if I'm wrong, we don't get many of you unicorns this far south o' Dodge unless they're on their way to Neighvada ya see. The name's Tumbleweed, I run the caravan 'round here" he said extending a hoof in greeting.

Forge turned around to see the pony that was addressing him. He looked him over before returning the hoofshake and replying. "You were looking for me huh? Well, you found me. Guess my message about a caravan got through." Forge looked Tumbleweed up and down, then said "I hope you got more security for your caravan then just yourself. Don't get me wrong, I'm no pushover in a fight, but I ain't to Kern on the idea of trying to take on a bunch of prongies all on my lone some." Edited by Fictional_Author7