Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you tend to cope with shame/humiliation?

aoEAF2FBvC0MIo2Q

• 2 months later...

Try desperately to put my mind somewhere else, or be crushed. My existence has always been a bit of a embarrassment, especially when I try to be a musician. However, the last time it happened - when I couldn't perform a simple solo at the beginning of an opera we were performing no matter how and how hard I practiced it (I could play it like 100% of the time by myself, I'm not even kidding. T.T), I asked to simplify it for the performances (after one, where it didn't go well. Ugh.). It really crushed me. I'm such a terrible musician. Even though that university no longer has an oboist now that I graduated, they're better without me.

Anyway... Enough of that! What else I thought about during that time was going and getting mental help, because I'm convinced it's something wrong with me at this point.

People have no shame these days. I cope with my shame by embracing it. Through embrace I understand why I feel ashamed and do whatever it takes to fix it. Shame is not an evil or bad emotion as perceived nowadays. It’s a warning sign emitting emotion to help you get yourself straightened out.

I get angry, so I tend to keep those feelings deep within me leading me to become monotone, however if someone does push me over the edge, I'll vent all my anger and frustration on them or myself.

Edited by Dark defender
  • Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

I take a deep breath and let it go. I sometimes even laugh at myself! There is no point in dwelling on something like that even if it was super embarrassing. Let it go and move on ~

16 minutes ago, Emerald Heart said:

Usually confront them... angrily.

But if it gets worse, I'll start to cry.

Same here. Though I do the crying bit 90% of the time... I always feel it's my fault for making whoever it is dissatisfied, even when there's no reason to think that way :/ It's weird!

I don't usually confront them cause I feel like it'll make things worse.

I've been there so many times I can tell you I've built up several ways to cope with it, it depends mostly on my mood.
Sometimes I like to isolate myself, other times I try not to care, act arrogant or self-deprecating.
Anyway it's few years that it is not happening to me anymore to be humiliated but I was very used to back then.

49 minutes ago, Silver Gallantry said:

Same here. Though I do the crying bit 90% of the time... I always feel it's my fault for making whoever it is dissatisfied, even when there's no reason to think that way :/ It's weird!

I don't usually confront them cause I feel like it'll make things worse.

I can't really think straight when I'm angry, which leads to "Scary Olivia" (aka me). 

I have a short fuse anyway... so that doesn't help. 

I asked an ex-friend of mine to NOT show a certain picture of me that I didn't like of myself to anyone, and she went around thinking that she was the most hilarious person ever and showed it to everyone in my choir class. I was FURIOUS. I kept shouting at her to knock it off, and that she was embarrassing me. But gosh darnnit she that she was SO DANG HILARIOUS and continued showing the pictures to my classmates.

And that's when I started crying. I was so humiliated by that photo.

2 minutes ago, Emerald Heart said:

I can't really think straight when I'm angry, which leads to "Scary Olivia" (aka me). 

I have a short fuse anyway... so that doesn't help. 

I asked an ex-friend of mine to NOT show a certain picture of me that I didn't like of myself to anyone, and she went around thinking that she was the most hilarious person ever and showed it to everyone in my choir class. I was FURIOUS. I kept shouting at her to knock it off, and that she was embarrassing me. But gosh darnnit she that she was SO DANG HILARIOUS and continued showing the pictures to my classmates.

And that's when I started crying. I was so humiliated by that photo.

My goodness! Even though you directly told her to stop for a hundred times, she still did it. In front of everyone too??

Good to hear that person ain't your friend anymore; I do hope everything's well with you after going through all that trash.

25 minutes ago, Silver Gallantry said:

My goodness! Even though you directly told her to stop for a hundred times, she still did it. In front of everyone too??

Good to hear that person ain't your friend anymore; I do hope everything's well with you after going through all that trash.

Yeah, I'm fine. I have a lovely group of ladies who are the best people in my life right now having my back.

People can just be so stupid sometimes, and I hate that.

Edited by Emerald Heart