Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Friendship is Magic" Episodes on Dailymotion: Legal?

MagLocal

25 users have voted

1. 1. Is watching episodes of "Friendship is Magic" on Dailymotion legal?

• Yes, it's legal.
    • No, it isn't.

(edited)

With not many raw episodes to watch on Youtube (episodes with commentary narrated over them aren't "raw", so to speak), Dailymotion is the website I know that has just about every episode of the show online, free to watch, with the only fee being the internet plans. Then again, maybe it's only because the episodes on Youtube are only available for certain regions and I'm not in one of them.

I'm not that familiar with the monetization that Dailymotion uses, but I have to ask a question: Are you sure it's legal to watch the episodes on Dailymotion? Or even on Youtube? Sure, the episodes being up on Youtube and Dailymotion may have helped the growth of the pony phenomenon, but I believe that the end doesn't justify the means. Not everyone has the show on TV so they resort to the internet, but is it legal? Will Hasbro even approve of it (at least regarding the episodes on Dailymotion)?

Edited by MagLocal

(edited)

To answer your question. Posting the episodes on Youtube, Dailymotion or any other streaming platforms is not legal.

The only legal place to watch MLP was on Netflix, not available in every country (UK, for example).

EDIT : I did not see the poll there. But, is the poll really necessary ?

Edited by boiteporte

It is illegal

I think it comes down to where you live

If a site is streemin somethin that compinies dont like they just block the vid to your region

i think it is somethin like that

It's "illegal" to post them on a video hosting site, but Hasbro won't actively look for and sue people who post said videos, as lawyers and court fees aren't cheap.

They will, however, take videos down once they see them.

(edited)

Technically, I believe it's only Illegal to be the one uploading the material. You're free to watch whatever is on the site and it's the the people in charge of the site or original content to do anything about it being there.

So yes, legal to watch the episodes if you can find them. Not legal to put them up. Dailymotion just isn't popular enough to have to deal with the copyright issues I guess.

Edited by Whofch
  • Brohoof 1

Dailymotion and YouTube are free sites so everything you watch on there is completily free and legal. If you, however upload episodes of a show there, you are breaking the law.

Most of these things gets taken down pretty quickly though.

Addendum: Another that concerns me is that, with Dailymotion, you can sync just about any video. I haven't synced a video on a computer before, but judging from what I've seen from mobile use, it means that you're downloading the video so you can watch it later even without internet. Is that legally OK?

Crap, if it's illegal, then most of my 2012 summer vacation was me spent doing illegal stuff.

(edited)

if it's illegal I spend most of my summer time(and even more) breaking the law.

in a way if you put the up is illegal...eh.I'm honestly surprised Hasbro didn't "took care" of Dailymotion yet.

and well,even if they could,there will always be a option(there is always a plan B :lol: ...wrestling fans will get this reference.),so yesh

Edited by NinjaPomeranian
  • Brohoof 1

As others have pointed out is technically illegal because it violates copywrite law but the irony is that this has actually benefitted MLP greatly and helped create the brony fandom. Hasbro is smart enough to not actively go after this stuff but they are still legally obligated to show they are doing the bare minimum to protect their copyrights and patents.

Technically, it is illegal. This means the I am a fugitive from the law, always looking over my shoulder to see if the Hasbro police are onto me again. Never watching MLP in one place, I travel the country searching for new places to access daillymotion. It's a terrible price, but the ponies are worth it.

Really though, the worst that could happen is a Cease and Desist thingy. I knew a guy would would torrent whole serieses (seri?) of anime every day. It took him a good while for anyone to notice, and even then they just told him to cut it out. So while it is illegal, nobody really cares. I'm pretty sure Hasbro makes the most money off of toys anyway, and god knows we bronies buy plenty of those.

I guess I will see you all after my prison sentence. Whoops.

No. But in all seriousness, If it wasn't hasbro/parent company/sister company, that uploaded them. Then doesn't that make it illegal? Or am I just over-thinking things. *prepares for stream of people disagreeing*

I dont care if its legal or not, I want my ponies!!! As for YouTube, Ive watched season 4 episodes there, because older episodes are taken off YouTube because of copyright, and soon the season 4 eppys will be gone as well. I just hope copyright doesnt reach dailymotion. Because in my country, we are still on Season 3, because the translations havent been made for season 4. Yet

• Brohoof 1

As others have pointed out is technically illegal because it violates copywrite law but the irony is that this has actually benefitted MLP greatly and helped create the brony fandom. Hasbro is smart enough to not actively go after this stuff but they are still legally obligated to show they are doing the bare minimum to protect their copyrights and patents.

Best overall response to this issue. Hasbro has to issue some C&R notices to protect their ownership and TM.

I saw watch away if you can find them.

:D

It's not legal, but the positive of leaving episodes up on video sites like YouTube and DailyMotion is that it does help drive the show's popularity. The trade-off is possible lost revenues, but on the other hand people who do have the disposable resources are more likely to support the show.

I only watch the show this way because I have no resources to watch it otherwise. If I did have resources, I would support the show by watching it on cable, Netflix, DVD, or download.

Words like legal and illegal get tossed around and misused a lot.

Is it legal to post/watch the videos on daily motion?  No.  That is, it's not in accordance with the law.  Is it a crime to watch them on daily motion would be the better question.  And that is also a no... it is not a crime to watch them.

Criminal copyright infringement and civil copyright infringement are two very different things.  While posting the episodes to youtube or daily motion is in fact a violation of civil copyright law, it's not something that would generally result in any actual civil suit being filed.  They could in theory file a lawsuit for damages, but knowing that the random teenager posting clips on youtube isn't actually going to be able to reimburse them for losses, and knowing that lawsuits are very expensive, that just doesn't happen.  Instead, they simply file C&D's with youtube and daily motion to have the videos taken down.  

On the other hand, it's not at all a crime to post them.  Criminal copyright infringement kicks in usually under two circumstances.  The first is selling larger quantities of bootleg dvd's and cd's, and the second is posting video of a movie that is still in theaters.  Both of those things can and often will result in criminal charges being filed.  Outside of those for the most part, however, you're only looking at civil suits or more likely having the content being taken down.

So what's the moral of the story?  Yes it's illegal, no it's not a crime.  

Regardless, one thing that is definitely true is that posting the episodes online does cost Hasbro a ton of money.  Sure it brings in fans, but Hasbro doesn't make money on fans that aren't watching the episodes in official channels.  They make money through netflix, and they make money when you watch on the hub.  But when you're watching episodes on livestreams, youtube, and daily motion, you're not making Hasbro any money.  So while it's great and all that there are a ton of fans of the show, we really do need to start encouraging people in the fandom to watch the show through official channels whenever possible so that the franchise stays highly profitable and they keep making the show.

• Brohoof 2

if it's illegal I spend most of my summer time(and even more) breaking the law.

in a way if you put the up is illegal...eh.I'm honestly surprised Hasbro didn't "took care" of Dailymotion yet.

and well,even if they could,there will always be a option(there is always a plan B :lol: ...wrestling fans will get this reference.),so yesh

If its illegal, then I became a brony illegally.

Oh, and what is this plan B, HHH?

Well shit... I didn't know that i was breaking the law and had to watch the episodes whenever Hasbro wanted... Not like i give a damn anymore. Its pretty much pointless to take them down. Its not like video games.

• 2 weeks later...

How is this a question? Of course it's not legal...

I mean, if you have access to MLPFiM on TV or a streaming service or DVD, then there's not much reason to for one to watch it online, but if you can't have it any other way then well that's your problem, do what you have to do I say. You should probably keep hush about it though... :P