Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Changes to Life Advice

Nohbdy

A few weeks back, we introduced a policy to maintain a positive and friendly environment in MLP Forums. Although the move was initially met with some resistance, it was ultimately a necessary action. Nevertheless, there was plenty room for improvement. After all, what are problems if not opportunities for the betterment of the community? With this in mind, we are introducing features that serve to reinforce the friendliness of the community, and hopefully assuage fears of suppression. 

As many of you may have noticed, Life Advice is now independent of Everfree Forest. What does this mean? It means that Life Advice is more easily visible at a glance; it's no longer a simple link. Our hope is that users will find it more readily accessible. For more information, please see the relevant thread

Our next change might also please many users: vent threads are now allowed in Life Advice. In the past, Life Advice threads that served as rants or vents were promptly locked, their OPs directed toward the blogs and statuses. Under our new status/blog policy, that no longer makes much sense. We encourage you to make use of Life Advice when you need it, and that includes venting. 

One thing to keep in mind: the global rules still apply. Do not be abusive toward others, do not swear excessively, and in general, please keep things appropriate and respectful.

We're anticipating future updates to Life Advice, so keep an eye out for what's in store. For now, enjoy the new and improved Life Advice forum! 

• Brohoof 37

These are all great changes.

Also, I want to reinforce what Aquila stated: venting does not grant any sort of exception to the Global Rules. Take care to not conduct your venting in a manner that's abusive toward others.

• Brohoof 13

I think these are all some are some pretty good changes. An excellent decision I think, particularly on the "venting threads" because some people just need to let everything go and it's nice to have this place as an option.

Being able to access something easily can mean just one person decides to go there which could be the answer to someones troubles!

More excellent decisions for a more than excellent forum!  :)

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Does it still have a minimum post requirement, though? That would be pretty stupid.

The post requirement is in place due to the fact that many of the threads in Life Advice are sensitive. The minimum post count helps to void off trolls who only join to post offensive and hurtful comments in peoples advice threads.

Its only 5 posts anyway, not like its that difficult to make 5 decent posts. :P

Edited by Dawn Rider
  • Brohoof 4

The post requirement is in place due to the fact that many of the threads in Life Advice are sensitive. This minimum post count helps to void off trolls who only join to post offensive and hurtful comments in peoples advice threads.

The minimum count is only 5 posts, not like its that difficult to make 5 decent posts. :P

That will do. The last time I checked the requirement was like 40 posts.

Good change. I would rather have all the rants in an isolated part of the forum instead of infecting my front page in status updates

• Brohoof 2

This seems like a sound idea and change in light of the recently implemented policies.  Good work guys.  Hope everything works out in the long run!  :)

• Brohoof 2

Approval!

Seriously guys, the ideas surrounding the LA forum have been gold.

/) x 1000

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Sounds like a plan to me, I think this will just better transition everything into the new changes with all this stuff. 

That was incredibly vague and made no sense, but regardless, hopefully somehow it made sense.

I can't see anything wrong with the change really, so I'd say it's a good one, the life advice forums can certainly be dead at times, possibly because people forget it's there sometimes. Maybe this will help with that.

-Edit,

The amount of sense this posts makes isn't very much lol. I need to go to bed ;p

Edited by Zygen

This is a great change. Adding more focus to the life advice section should go a long way in directing people who are unhappy toward an area where they can find support and a few friendly shoulders.

I think the addition of the venting threads will really help cut down on frustrated and negative statuses, too. (Though I can't help but wonder if they shouldn't have their own sub-forum within the new life advice section so the people looking for advice aren't drowning in vent threads?)