Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you want MLP to keep playing forever or not? Why?

The Boulder

Would you want MLP:FiM to run forever or not?  

68 users have voted

1. 1. Would you want MLP:FiM to run forever or not?

• Eeyup!
    • Nnope!

(edited)

Pretty much what the title says. Would you want MLP: FiM to keep turning out new episodes forever, or not? I understand that (usually) when a show plays for too long, the quality tends to take a long, hard dive. However, on the other hand, I've only been a brony for about a month now, and I already can't envision my life without ponies! Its such a good show, and I'd be sad to see it go.

I'm really torn on this, so I want to know what you think below too!

Edited by malexlee
  • Brohoof 1

Well. I think as much as I'd love to have good quality pony episodes forever, the reality is it isn't possible and just isn't going to happen, eventually the writters will run out of ideas and the show will just be kinda crappy.

Honestly I can't see MLP going much more than to like season 6 maybe 7, heck it may even end after Season 5, i wouldn't be surprised really.

I guess theres always fan work and art and stuff. And rewatching episodes.

So I guess in the end I wouldn't want it to go on forever really because it would eventually just not really be worth watching much anymore.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

It hurts to type this, but no, I don't want it to last forever. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is probably my favorite television show of all time, but I don't want to see it be crap in season 100. :(

I hope the show lasts for as long as its still good.  :)

Edited by Hovershy
  • Brohoof 8

indeed, the series are awesome and have good quality in certain aspect like the lesson from each episode, the plots and the characters. but. someday, this series will go to an end. that might be pros and cons. and every individual has an opinion about that. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Right now I have an insatiable desire for all things pony, and I don't want to think too hard about the show coming to an end.  It'll be hard enough just waiting for new episodes, but no new episodes ever is a sad thought indeed.  If the show continued for forever and went from awesome to just sorta awesome...  I could live with that lol.  I'd even settle for great!  Or really very okay.

Edit: When / if it ends I want a Rainbow Dash spin-off.  Like, immediately.

Edited by PegaMister

(edited)

It hurts to type this, but no, I don't want it to last forever. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is probably my favorite television show of all time, but I don't want to see it be crap in season 100. :(

I hope the show lasts for as long as its still good.  :)

This. If the writers run out of ideas I'd rather see the show end then it go downwards in quality like Spongebob and The Simpsons.

Edited by Rainboom Dash
  • Brohoof 6

It needs to end when the writers run out of ideas.  If it runs indefinitely it will run into the gutter like any other creative work that has been allowed to run well past its expiration date (see Simpsons, South Park, Peanuts, etc.).  The last thing you want is all the episodes you now a love to be mixed in with garbage that only exist to earn the writers their next paycheck.  Good creators with integrity will retire their work when the time comes to prevent this from happening (see Avatar The Last Airbender and Calvin & Hobbes).

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Some shows run out of ideas and they do take that major drop in quality.  As far as writing goes, however, there are an infinite amount of stories you can tell, an infinite amount of morals to learn, and an enormous realm of character definitions.

Something that people will think is that "Well you can't possibly have an infinite plot format, ideas will eventually get recycled!"

I say ideas have been recycled for as long as history can remember.  They've just been combined with all sorts of different things, including each other, to make new ideas.  Did you like the first two episodes of FiM?  Those were in quest-style format.  Go here through this path and do this.  Did you like "Dragon Quest" later on in the series?  Same format.  How about Star Wars?  Lord of The Rings?  And these different ideas can keep going in all sorts of combinations and circumstances.

Writers, however, can run out of ideas eventually.  And that's when you add a new writer to the team, or add a character to the story.  World-building in MLP is infinite, it just takes the right amount of creativity to keep it going.  New writers, new characters, new places, these could all be used to keep the magic going.

tl;dr:

#MLP4lifez

Edit:  SUCH DEFEATIST ATTITUDES, GUYS!!! WHERE'S THE PASSION??? :D

Edited by Rainbow Skywalker
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

I think that if we keep the series going just until season 10 or maybe even 8. There is so much ground that they didn't cover. I need to know!

post-27834-0-47355700-1404877625_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crystal Mint

Honestly I don't really care for the show all that much, I only stick around for some of the fan work and such. That said I am inclined to agree that shows often lose their charm after a few seasons and, while there are a few exemptions, I would rather see a show end at a good stopping point rather than wear itself so thin you don't even know whats going on anymore.

tumblr_m3ovmpHPOI1qadckeo1_500.gif

It needs to end when the writers run out of ideas.  If it runs indefinitely it will run into the gutter like any other creative work that has been allowed to run well past its expiration date (see Simpsons, South Park, Peanuts, etc.).  The last thing you want is all the episodes you now a love to be mixed in with garbage that only exist to earn the writers their next paycheck.  Good creators with integrity will retire their work when the time comes to prevent this from happening (see Avatar The Last Airbender and Calvin & Hobbes).

Nothing else really needs to be said.  I am a huge advocate for integrity in creative works.  The trend nowadays is to run everything into the ground until the brand is worthless.  If it will still make money, then they'll keep making something.  The best creative works end when it's their time, with grace and humility, and leave you wanting more.  And that's how it should be.  Look at the best animes ever made:  Cowboy Bebop--24 episodes and one movie.  Welcome to the NHK--24 episodes.  And they were perfect as is.  Now, obviously MLP has a lot more life than that, but you don't want to see it pull a Simpsons.  But when FIM runs its course, they could definitely do some spin-offs, not to mention more movies.  I really hope that we get one proper FIM movie, plus a prequel movie about Luna and Celestia in the time of Starswirl.

If every season still had fresh material and great episodes then sure! However, 4-5 seasons tend to be all a show can manage before it becomes painfully mediocre (Futurama for example)

You either die young, or live long enough to see yourself become the Simpsons.

Just like entropy, you can never stave off the decline of quality in a show, eventually they will run out of ideas, or it will change so much that it will no longer be MLP.

So unless it can pull off the impossible, and stay fresh and quality the entire time, I'd rather have it be a fond memory then it turn into the Simpsons.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

For as long as the writers feel. I don't think it should go forever. Anything gets old after so long I'm pretty sure. They'll know when to stop it. ;) We have a while longer anyway.

Edited by Felix

(edited)

Absolutely not. As great as a series is, it's been my understanding that a series has gotta end sometime to leave an even greater impression. Hopefully, MLP:FiM will be no exception to this rule, and won't end up running out of great ideas and become like the likes of Spongebob where the dead horse(oh look a pun I guess) is beat to death constantly and ends up worse every time it comes back from the beating. It's just a bit childish to want it to last 'forever', imo. :huh: :okiedokielokie:

Edited by Radiance64
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

As others have mentioned, statistics do not favor the idea of the series going on forever, and maintaining a consistent quality. The longer the series continues, the more likely it is to experience a decline in quality. The only examples of long running franchises that I can think of off the top of my head, that have been going on for an eternity, and are still good, is superhero franchises, and even then, it's highly doubtful every story written for those series is pure gold, though I suppose that's true of anything. However, there's a far greater likelihood that the series will end up like The Simpsons or Family Guy. Does that mean MLP:FiM can't have at least a few more good seasons in it? Of course not. I have faith that season 5 will at least be decent.

Long running series, of course, also run into other problems, aside from quality. The Simpsons was hit with the death of a voice actor, for example. Granted, that series has been going on for a very long time. If we're talking hypothetically forever for MLP:FiM for the purpose of this discussion, that is a real possibility one day, and even four seasons in, I'm not sure how I would feel if one or more main voice actors were switched out, and that could happen at any point, for a variety of reasons. A good portion of the show's staff already had to be replaced when Faust and her team left, and it obviously took some time for the pieces to be picked up. Something like that could easily happen again.

Seasons 5-9 are pretty much confirmed, and I'm happy to hear that, but it has to end one day. I'm not sure if the show will even be as good by the time season 9 comes around. Maybe the show will end then, but who really knows? I imagine the comics will go on forever if they continue to be successful, even if the show ends, since comics tend to do that, but in my limited experience with the medium, and based on what I've heard from other people, comics often hit rough patches with terrible story arcs, so I'm not sure how reassuring that is.

Edited by Tross

(edited)

As long as it's still good, I don't see why not.

It's kinda hard to answer because we don't know how the show is going to be in the next seasons: if there'll be a decline in quality or not.

Of course, the show running forever is impossible, but I wouldn't mind if it runs for 10 more years, as long as it's still good.

Edited by Blobulle

Based on my experience, quality television shows all have stopped somewhere between season 4-7. The fact that no new episodes are released makes them memorable, and gain a cult-like status.

Take for example, a gem, Dexter's Laboratory. It had only four seasons, and is now, many years after it ended, a beloved show within adults. Cybersix also had only one season, which in the finale the whole conflict was resolved. After watching the last episode, you feel complete, as if you watched an amazing movie with subplots that are underlining one great plot. I haven't finished watching Dexter's Laboratory, by the way. I watch it with MLP.

If MLP extends beyond season five, they run a risk of losing viewer interest, and getting deflected from the underlying plot. Remember, people like action, and that means they like advancements to the underlying plot.

Wasn't there a thread just like this?.....

Well lets face it its gonna stop at somepoint

But just as long as there's episodes to talk about and watch and there's a brony community, I'm fine!

Not forever, but I do hope it survives to the 8-10 season range. Though I also wouldn't be opposed to starting G5 before ending G4.

I think there's enough left that could be done with the FiM world and characters to keep it interesting for that long. Especially by changing the show format whenever it gets old. Maybe 2 more seasons of the current style, then a season of slice-of-life adventure/exploration like Pokemon, and then mature to a more teen/adult anime style, with complex and continuous story arcs. Finally call it quits whenever Twilight reaches Super Saiyan 3 :lol:

Not forever, certainly not forever, it's both impossible and a bad idea. Drag anything out for too long and it gets terrible at some point down the line. I think most bronies just want to have what they can call, 'a good, long run'. For me that's 6 to 7 seasons, maybe even 8 or 9, which is what Hasbro seems to aiming towards, since they said this current gen of MLP will keep going for another five years. So many good animated shows get cancelled, often for completely stupid reasons, so, getting into an awesome animated cartoon that doesn't look like it'll suffer that fate, yeah, most people are going to be rooting for it to go as long as it can.

• Brohoof 3