Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you want MLP to keep playing forever or not? Why?

The Boulder

Would you want MLP:FiM to run forever or not?  

68 users have voted

1. 1. Would you want MLP:FiM to run forever or not?

• Eeyup!
    • Nnope!

I think it could work, say 15-20 episodes a season, one episode released every Saturday would be nice, until the season ends. Then leave it about six or eight months, then start new season. That would give them enough time to get the ideas for episodes. I think they could definitely get good episodes in if they just kept going on. Though the voice actors don't live forever.

Hasbro is planning on running the show until the end of the decade. Then it's likely to reboot into a new generation.

I agree with some earlier posts that said that a 6-7 season run was good, but the fact of the matter is that it will probably end up running 9-10 seasons.

The run the show already had was good, but for a show like this, a long run means almost certain stagnation. I find it less painful for a good show to end after a good run than for it to continue after a decline in quality. A long run of low quality does a lot to harm a show's image.

• Brohoof 2

It has to go. SpongeBob's been running for 15 years and it's been going down, though improving in the recent season. Family Guy lasted longer and I heard it's worse than that. I don't think it should go this long. It'll be disappointing, but it's the right thing to do. 

It needs to end when the writers run out of ideas.  If it runs indefinitely it will run into the gutter like any other creative work that has been allowed to run well past its expiration date (see Simpsons, South Park, Peanuts, etc.).  The last thing you want is all the episodes you now a love to be mixed in with garbage that only exist to earn the writers their next paycheck.  Good creators with integrity will retire their work when the time comes to prevent this from happening (see Avatar The Last Airbender and Calvin & Hobbes).

Calvin & Hobbes is one of my favorite comic strips ever; Bill Watterson's foresight to end the strip on his own terms is one of the reasons why.

Edit:  SUCH DEFEATIST ATTITUDES, GUYS!!! WHERE'S THE PASSION??? :D

What happened to shows like SpongeBob killed it, pretty much.

Speaking of SpongeBob, I was discussing something like this with a member on a forum for that show. This is what I told him:

Sigh...great. I'm glad G4 has been so successful, but as cartoon history has shown, the longer you drag out a show, the worse it will get. I really like FiM, and the last thing I want to see happen is for Seasonal Rot, or what I like to call "SpongeBob syndrome", to set in and make the show completely unwatchable. There are some fans who feel this point has already passed, but I think seasons 3 & 4 are almost as good as the first two, just different. Hopefully DHX can pull off an Ed, Edd, n' Eddy and keep the show consistent, funny, and entertaining for that length of time (the five added years mentioned previously).

(edited)

Would I want it to? Yes. Is it realistic? Probably not.

But the question is about what we'd want against what we think will happen. I know that it won't run on forever, and I will accept that, but that doesn't mean I can't still want it to.

Edited by Spinelspike
  • Brohoof 1

I would be fine with it going forever -- but it is a world.  The focus would eventually need to shift as the characters aged.  Things would change in the world.  We could even have timeskips to make such more prevalent. 

Thing is, I would be happy with a mirror that showed me just everyday things of the ponies, so I have no problems with the series continuing forward.

Of course if I had such a mirror I would be sorely tempted to step through it.

While there is some part of me going "Ponies forever! 100+ seasons! YEEAAHHHH!" Logically I know that that won't happen without an eventual decline in quality. I don't want to see the show turn into something like SpongeBob. A show that just keeps going no matter how bad it's gotten. That would be horrible and I'd rather see the show end early than have something like that happen.

If they can just give us another season of great episodes then I'll be happy. If they can give us even more than that? Then great! I just don't want to see the show I love get driven into the dirt.

• Brohoof 3

they definitely could make the show last longer if the main 6 somehow got lost in a different dimention and each episode has them use friendship to mend something in that demention to then go to a different dimention? make sence? and then wnem they finally return to Equestria, theres a HUGE problem.

but really i know we will all be devistated when the show does end

• Brohoof 1

No. Everything comes to an end and its only satisfying once it does. If it keeps going on forever, we'll get bored and so will the creators. We'll always have the older episodes, but I don't want this to go on forever. Plus, we can always hope that gen. 5 MLP will be good, or(if its physically possible) even better.

(edited)

As much as I love MLP: FiM, I don't want for it to last forever, otherwise it'll become another Spongebob Squarepants/The Simpsons/etc.. -3-

Edited by Mienshao

they definitely could make the show last longer if the main 6 somehow got lost in a different dimention and each episode has them use friendship to mend something in that demention to then go to a different dimention? make sence? and then wnem they finally return to Equestria, theres a HUGE problem.

but really i know we will all be devistated when the show does end

The main series could end, and there would be spin offs.

For example:

Rainbow Dash: Dimensional Explorer

It could be a show in the style of Doctor Who, and Tomb Raider.

(edited)

Wow, so many responses in so little time...

I think I'm inclined to go with the majority here, sayin it'd be better if it came to a good end, (aka like Avatar: TLA). It would be worse to see the series run into the ground than to see it end at a high note, but i'd still be sad to see it go.

As far as writing goes, however, there are an infinite amount of stories you can tell, an infinite amount of morals to learn, and an enormous realm of character definitions.

I do like what Skywalker said here though, hopefully we've still got a couple good seasons of mlp left. :wub:

If it could stay good forever, I would want it to last forever, but that just isnt likely. :(

Edited by malexlee

I would like the show to last longer but I doubt any show for that matter could stay good forever. I just wonder how long the fan base would last once the show is over. 

I would like the show to last longer but I doubt any show for that matter could stay good forever. I just wonder how long the fan base would last once the show is over.

That, right there, is the true indication of a show's greatness. If the show is still talked about a good decade after it ends, then it is cemented as a modern classic. I don't see the fanbase dispersing immediately after the show ends. In fact, as I've discovered, there's a lot more to this fanbase than the show itself. The fan works side of things will most definitely carry on. For at least a decade? I couldn't tell you.

(edited)

If we're talking gen 4, then eventually, it would be best to have a new gen. I liked gen 1 (based on the little I've seen) and if that was all we had, I would think it's pretty cool, but if they never tried new things, they never wouldn't have had FiM. I love FiM, but it would be nice to see a new gen 5-10 years down the road.

Also, I would be free to create headcanons without later episodes conflicting with them :D

Edited by Captain Teemo

it wouldnt matter if the show never stopped because the Brony fandom is to big to go anywhere we would still be around even after FIM ends but to answer your question I would love to see it never stop MLP makes my Saturdays 

I love MLP with all my heart, but it couldn't play forever..

They would start to run out of ideas and do repeat or similar story lines. It would kind of be like family guy or the simpsons. I loved both of those shows but they both went on a slow decline to the point were I stopped watching because I couldn't shake the feel of deja vu  :huh:

Everything must end eventually, especially TV shows. Otherwise they eventually end up becoming stale and repetitive, I mean just look at the Simpsons. Though it may end, you could still look forward to a possible G5 in the distant future! 

Pretty much what the title says. Would you want MLP: FiM to keep turning out new episodes forever, or not? I understand that (usually) when a show plays for too long, the quality tends to take a long, hard dive. However, on the other hand, I've only been a brony for about a month now, and I already can't envision my life without ponies! Its such a good show, and I'd be sad to see it go.

I'm really torn on this, so I want to know what you think below too!

I know that feel dawg, I barely had two months of being officially brony when season 3 ended. Despite the broken base of it, I felt so much joy with it, I loved the characters like never before. But it looked like the series finale at the time, and it saddened me that a show I started to REALLY LOVE ends  :( . Fortunately that was not the case  :lol:

No worry about the series' end, we'll get more ponies for a while, season 5 has been officially announced before the season 4 finale, and we'll get at least up to season 7 if MLP continues for 5 years  :lol: . But I hope they don't keep it for too long, I'd hate a show that I grew so fond ends like crap 

• Brohoof 1

I know that feel dawg, I barely had two months of being officially brony when season 3 ended. Despite the broken base of it, I felt so much joy with it, I loved the characters like never before. But it looked like the series finale at the time, and it saddened me that a show I started to REALLY LOVE ends :( . Fortunately that was not the case :lol: . No worry about the series' end, we'll get more ponies for a while, season 5 has been officially announced before the season 4 finale, and we'll get at least up to season 7 if MLP continues for 5 years :lol: . But I hope they don't keep it for too long, I'd hate a show that I grew so fond ends like crap

I hear ya bud, I'd hate to see the show disappear after just discovering it! But luckily I've got season 5 to look forward too! Yay! :yay:

I'm hoping the series has at least till season 7, maybe even longer if it doesnt take a dive in quality. But when it does end, that better be one heck of a grand finale!

Dr Who, 1963-current (yes I know it's not continuous). Would I like to see mlp:fim go on forever? Yes. Is it easy? No.

New characters, new places, taking a year or two off, all can help the show stay fresh. Better to take a break than to produce something of a lower quality. Even losing a character or two could prove helpful. Imagine the Mane 6 if Rainbow Dash becomes a Wonderbolt and has to move to Cloudsdale, and Rarity gets a major break in Manehattan. The show could skip ahead to a new generation of ponies, where Applebloom is Granny Smith's age.

There are plenty of things to do, it's just a matter of avoiding burnout.

• Brohoof 1

For me it doesn't matter so much about how long it goes for, whether it's ten more seasons or one more or whatever, as long as the episodes remain at the same quality and have the same appeal to them as they've had so far. As long as the show doesn't go downhill but instead "quits while it's ahead," so to speak, I'll be happy. And I think there's a good chance of the show remaining well made and good quality as long the crew working on it remains the same and doesn't go through big changes, cause that is often something that can wreck a show. 

• Brohoof 1

If it can keep high quality forever that'd be great, but otherwise, I'd rather they end it on a high note rather than let it become a rotting corpse