Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Thoughts on G1 Toys

RainbowMau

@simba86

I'd say G4's were kinda accurate in places, others not so much (my Twi Beanie Baby plush is too dark a shade of purple, but not the other ones I have, to say).

Yes. They're very beautiful and unfortunately for me, way outta my price range. Her name is Crystalline, if you want to know. They remind me of the old She-Ra horses if you remember those and Fashion Star Fillies.
I love that game. It's on the easy side sure, but it was fun and I enjoyed customizing her.

I don't remember those two, I'll have to look them up.

Yeah, the game is fun (though I actually got stuck in it and ended up just wandering aimlessly for 20 minutes because I thought that barn was just part of the scenery) and I'd say it's a good game for kids who may be starting out on the Sega Genesis. I don't like how can't walk to ledges without Crystal backing away though, it's a bit annoying, and I do feel that they really missed the opportunity to make a G1 MLP game on the Sega Genesis, like one on the G1 specials Rescue from Midnight Castle, Escape from Katrina, the 1986 movie, the End of Flutter Valley (which have evil witches in it too), maybe all of them, or maybe one based on G1 that took several elements from the series. Imagine that... :huh:

• Brohoof 1

I've always loved G1 toys, but I've only recently got some of my own:

sig-4835087.IMG_6662_zpsckob8dxi.jpg

Baby Rainribbon is one of my grails! So jealous! Aww and lookit Baby Katie. I can never remember which twin that is. Is that Baby Snookum or Baby Sniffles?

• Brohoof 2

Baby Rainribbon is one of my grails! So jealous! Aww and lookit Baby Katie. I can never remember which twin that is. Is that Baby Snookum or Baby Sniffles?

It's Baby Snookums. I really want to find Sniffles though, so the twins aren't separated..

• Brohoof 1

I love the gen 1 toys there was a lot of detail put into them back then which is what I like and each one was different not only that they also had foreign variants of the gen 1 toys and they had different poses which came with names it was not one set pose and the list goes on so I am going to end it here.

And sure the gen 1's don't look like the gen 4's, but at least they don't look as creepy as these 2 just look at how happy Chip looks their so not going to murder you in your sleep.

post-38560-0-44141700-1489859913_thumb.jpg

Edited by chaosprincess
  • Brohoof 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/10/2014 at 0:47 PM, Sceethe said:

i honestly think all of the official toys look creepy.

the G1 toys,however,are a whole different league.

how many little girls mustve suffered horrible nightmares from that?

we may never now the answer :(

I think the problem is that you were first introduced, and became very used to, the style of the G4 ponies that all previous generation ponies look weird to you because they used the formulated, old style.

As a girl growing up with G1 ponies, no, I did not find them scary or horrifying growing up.  It's the style I grew up watching and I did not see them weird or horrifying growing up because there was no other style used to make them seem weird.  In fact, even with the new G4 style around now, which I do think are cute, I still think the G1 dolls are actually a lot more visually appealing than the G4 dolls.

Edit:  Whoa!  This topic is old!  I didn't realize it was bumped up and I'm replying to an ancient post, haha.

Edited by StoryTail
  • Brohoof 3

• 3 months later...

I love, love, love G1! The shows as well as the ponies. I think they look gorgeous, and have such nostalgia. They absolutely aren’t creepy - they are the predecessors that birthed all future gens of mlp. Even if you don’t like them personally, there can be no denying they paved the way for modern mlp and I find them beautiful. They look soft and wistful to me. 

• Brohoof 2

The G1 ponies look really soft and gentle which is why I really like how they look, they're adorable in the cartoon too. The variety in their poses is great and I hoped that G4 ponies would've had that diversity as well.

Most of all, they're a pleasure to look at and I wish I had more than just two. :D

• 3 years later...

I like the G1 ponies. They are cute, but in a different way than G4 ponies. I wish G4 ponies came in a greater variety of poses like G1 toys. They also have a kind of vintage look that modern toys don’t have.

On 2014-07-09 at 1:14 PM, websterhamster said:

I swear they're selling a G1 knock-off at Dollar Tree.

As far as creepiness goes, they don't look very detailed, especially not compared to the FiM toys, and they're certainly not realistic. They do look more horse-like, however.

Your telling me they don't look detailed when they have sculpted faces, as opposed to g4 which is just a featureless, bloated chihuahua shaped head with a bird beak and eyes that are too low on the face? Furthermore unlike g4, g1 and g3 have multiple different head,leg and body  sculpts.

On 2014-07-09 at 1:12 PM, RainbowMau said:

Don't get me wrong, I think G1 toys are great collection pieces for any brony and I'd like to have some, but I don't see them as cute as the animated ones, and you can see it if you compare styles:

865224_1319721498547_full.jpgtwilight.jpg

Maybe it's because the snouts are larger in the toys, or maybe the cheeks look bigger, or maybe they're too realistic and detailed. What do you think?

And what do you think  horse toys are supposed to look like exactly Einstein? I mean, what's next? Complaining that  a dog toy looks like a dog. You people are so nitpicky and the stretching you do to justify your insecure hatred is ridiculous. 

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
(edited)
On 2014-07-10 at 4:12 AM, RainbowMau said:

Don't get me wrong, I think G1 toys are great collection pieces for any brony and I'd like to have some, but I don't see them as cute as the animated ones, and you can see it if you compare styles:

865224_1319721498547_full.jpgtwilight.jpg

Maybe it's because the snouts are larger in the toys, or maybe the cheeks look bigger, or maybe they're too realistic and detailed. What do you think?

I think the vacant look of the eyes can be quite off-putting. The same can be said for other doll brands, like Barbie.

I think the G4 pony doll line has one of the least off-putting eye designs of the franchise. The cute expressive art-style and certain direction really seems to help.

G4 My Little Pony Brushables - Toy Sisters

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.toysisters.com%2Ftoy-guides%2Fmy-little-pony%2Fg4-my-little-pony-brushables%2F&psig=AOvVaw2UtzSpXm6LuadoMkBDWajP&ust=1652253199920000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAwQjRxqFwoTCMj1g_2w1PcCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAP

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I loooove G1, it and G3 were my first experience with ponies at the ripe old age of 3. I love the show and the toys, but I can totally see how someone could find the G1 toys odd. Some of the molds are definitely cuter than others -- for example, I think the trotting unicorn pose is way cuter than the collector's pose and the walking unicorn pose, which are kind of awkward imo. I think some of the molds were better proportioned than others, but I find all of them cute nevertheless.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...