Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Thoughts on G1 Toys

RainbowMau

Here we go again! Hatred of G1! This is what pisses me off about the Brony fandom, you guys have no respect for the earlier gens. Fine, you don't have to like G1-3.5, but stop bitching about it!

WTF are you talking about? I like the G1 show and their ponies, I'm just talking about the toy design!

Eh, well I don't have anything against the G1 show or anything, but honestly I prefer the art style of the G4 ponies.

As for the toys? Well honestly I don't bother with any of the official toys anyways. So yeah ;p.

(edited)

I happen to adore my G1 toys; for they are cute as a button, especially the babies!

They're defiantly better then the G4 toys that have an acre of forehead and giant eyes were their cheeks should be.

How do you hate G4!? What the-

Edited by Cyan Blue

Also, without the previous generations, we wouldn't have FiM. At least be thankful that the previous generations were there to build up to FiM, but NOO! "G3 ponies look like pregnant cows","G1 ponies are overweight horses", "G3.5 doesn't deserve to be called an MLP generation", "G2 dolls looked like shit"

And I think G3 ponies look like clones  :eww: 

I mean, aren't we free to say thatever we want about "X" MLP generations?

And I think G3 ponies look like clones  :eww:

I mean, aren't we free to say thatever we want about "X" MLP generations?

You are, but you shouldn't say that the previous generations shouldn't have existed, without any of the previous generations we wouldn't have FiM. I've been with MLP all my life, and I'll tell you that when G2 came out, I thought it was the best thing in the world and the ponies were adorable, then when G3 and G3.5 came out, I loved them, and I still do to this day. I had the MLP Pinkie Pie's Party DSi game, and I used to delete my progress when I finished the game 3 times, so I could play again. You're free to say whatever you want about the previous MLP generations, yes, but don't go trashing on them. Tbh I bet a lot of bronies haven't even watched any of the previous MLP generations, I would watch G1, and the G1 Tales all the time when I was a little girl. The previous generations were nice, and I loved them.

• Brohoof 1

I love G1s, and collected them way before G4 was ever a thing, although, I have a very different appreciation for G1s compared to G4s.

Actually, I think G4 figures look way "worse" than G1s. I was honestly surprised when G4s came out, as to me, they did not look like ponies at all, but more like weird little mice. It was like an acquired taste to me because it was my love for the show and characters that warmed me to collect G4s, and I do love them, but in a very different way to G1. I love the size of G1s, I much prefer that they're "softer" (or "squdgier" I guess) than G4s who have pretty solid bodies, and generally think they're a lot more aesthetically pleasing - they have this sweet beauty I really like and I feel like there was more care paid to facial variation than there is now, and just more care went into them in general. I have a Fluttershy with derpy eyes. I have never had such a thing with any G1. Factory errors seem way more common nowadays. 

I think the most important thing when it comes to this though, is to appreciate that when people say they don't like G1s, they're not necessarily slating G1s, or waging "war" against them. It's just their personal opinion. No FIM fan is required to think G1s are, well, really anything. They don't need to like those figures at all. 

Someone can appreciate that something came before which gave way to the thing they actually like, without necessarily being void of appreciation of that thing which paved the way for the thing they eventually DID like...

I love Jimi Hendrixes "All Along The Watchtower". Dylan wrote that first, but honestly? I think it sucked and I think Hendrix made that song awesome. XD It's all just personal opinion. 

• Brohoof 2

You are not the only one. They look like oversized HORSES not PONIES!!!! Does this look like a pony?

Do you even know what a pony looks like? They can be pretty thick.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You are, but you shouldn't say that the previous generations shouldn't have existed, without any of the previous generations we wouldn't have FiM.

When the f* did I say that? Looks like you're not paying attention to my posts.

I've been with MLP all my life, and I'll tell you that when G2 came out, I thought it was the best thing in the world and the ponies were adorable, then when G3 and G3.5 came out, I loved them, and I still do to this day. I had the MLP Pinkie Pie's Party DSi game, and I used to delete my progress when I finished the game 3 times, so I could play again. You're free to say whatever you want about the previous MLP generations, yes, but don't go trashing on them. Tbh I bet a lot of bronies haven't even watched any of the previous MLP generations, I would watch G1, and the G1 Tales all the time when I was a little girl. The previous generations were nice, and I loved them.

I'm not one of those, I've been watching some G3, G3.5 shorts and I watched G1 when I was a kid, I don't critique anything I haven't watched and that's why I don't say a word about G2 show, both G3's openings were awesome and the episodes were fun to watch, but it's the plotly poorest of all and I repeat that G3's ponies look monotonous and I won't change my mind, and G1 is one of the best ones but their toys look weird.

Edited by RainbowMau
  • Brohoof 1

When the f* did I say that? Looks like you're not paying attention to my posts.

I'm not one of those, I've been watching some G3, G3.5 shorts and I watched G1 when I was a kid, I don't critique anything I haven't watched and that's why I don't say a word about G2 show, both G3's openings were awesome and the episodes were fun to watch, but it's the plotly poorest of all and I repeat that G3's ponies look monotonous and I won't change my mind, and G1 is one of the best ones but their toys look weird.

I didn't mean you, I meant all bronies in general.

i honestly think all of the official toys look creepy.

the G1 toys,however,are a whole different league.

how many little girls mustve suffered horrible nightmares from that?

we may never now the answer :(

I personally don't think that any animated characters look that good in toy form.  It's the problem of translating 2-D into 3-D.  It just never looks right.  I never thought Garfield plushies or Bart Simpson dolls looked very good.  They have to be 3-D to begin with.  You'd probably be better off making a toy using the Source Film Maker pony models, honestly.  The best cartoon character toys?  The Toy Story toys.  They're already 3-D, and they're already toys!  Best movie toys ever made, cause they're just the real thing, plain and simple.

Anyway, I don't like the earlier gen MLP toys, but I don't really care either.  I have nothing against them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
(edited)

Though this topic's old, I still want to state my mind.

I like the G1 toys and I've got a good amount of them along with the G4 ones, I can show ya here:

my_little_pony_herd_by_seiya_meteorite-d

I don't think the G1s are creepy looking at all (I can in a way understand why people think they are creepy), I think they're more pretty and a bit cute, but some excuses people made here are a bit ridiculous; "they look like oversized horses", well aren't ponies HORSES (and one person I was talking too elsewhere thought that the muzzles looked "HORRID"? At least they have actual horse muzzles and look like actual horses!) after all? :huh:

I can't even understand how I've heard some people even claimed they looked like "aardvarks", let me compare this Fizzy picture to a Gingaman horse toy:

Fizzy:
DSCN2393.jpg

Ginga Blue Horse, "Blue Horizon" (not mine):

Gingaman-15-8.jpg

See? While Fizzy's more plump than the other one, at least she still looks like an actual horse. Aardvarks have thinner snouts and pig like noses. Anyway, I'm off topic...

That's a thing that irks me, and I'd say to anyone who thought G1 was creepy, I'd hate to see your reaction to real horses, frankly Newborn Cuties is creepier than that.

Me, while I love the G1/G4 designs, I still prefer the G1 designs because while both are cute and nice looking and horse-like, G4's muzzles kinda look a bit too round for the mares and square for the stallions. They still do look horselike, but not as much as G1's. Also, I think some of the newer G4 toys look inferior to the early G4 toys and definitely not as great as the G4 ones, plus, I don't like how G4s only have their Cutie Marks on one side compared to G1s, it comes off as lazy to me.

Just a little something I wanted to say. It's just, I find it ridiculous some people think that they don't look like equines...

Edited by Seiya-Meteorite
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

You are not the only one. They look like oversized HORSES not PONIES!!!! Does this look like a pony?

post-37221-0-12169100-1488940254_thumb.jpg

One of these things is not like the other,

One of these things just isn't the same.

If you thought that the Shetland Pony was the odd one out, you are incorrect.

1,2,3 what do I see?

Round barrel, short triangular ears, short thick legs, strong back, thick neck, long rounded muzzle. It's almost as if the toy I'm looking at is supposed to be a pony. Unlike the g4 who has a head like a Chihuahua, a bird beak and a jellybean body.

They do look creepy, I wonder if girls really like them. :lol:

Yes because it's not as if Millions of MLP fans all over the world have existed since the 80s onwards or anything. It's not as if it has been one of the most popular and recognizable toy brands for 30 years.

Here we go again! Hatred of G1! This is what pisses me off about the Brony fandom, you guys have no respect for the earlier gens. Fine, you don't have to like G1-3.5, but stop bitching about it!

That'll never happen in a community built on tearing down everything that came before without knowing what they're talking about half the time. They only do it because they think it makes them look cool.

Oh and here's one more picture of an MLP, a Dream Beauty to be precise. Not mine. I wish though.

post-37221-0-53196500-1488941953_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leave a Whisper

The Dream Beauty one actually was an MLP toy? If so, it's definitely one of the best looking ones.

Yeah, that's my problems with the G4 snouts, they look too much horse-like and too much bird-beak like.

Dream Beauties are, in fact, part of MLP. So are the Japanese Takara ponies. Research is your friend.
  • Brohoof 2

Dream Beauties are, in fact, part of MLP. So are the Japanese Takara ponies. Research is your friend.

You are right. Just looked them up now, and they are so beautiful looking. Interestingly they've got some similar names to certain G1 ponies (Morning Glory, Skydancer, Firefly), but they're not the same, and I wonder how they sold? Sadly it appears they did not make any unicorns...

What's interesting also is there is a Sega Genesis game that's similar to My Little Pony, Crystal's Pony Tale, and now that I think about it, Crystal in that game looks just like one of those Dream Beauties almost, along with the other ponies:

• Brohoof 1

The Dream Beauty one actually was an MLP toy? If so, it's definitely one of the best looking ones.

Yeah, that's my problems with the G4 snouts, they look too much horse-like and too much bird-beak like.

Yes. They're very beautiful and unfortunately for me, way outta my price range. Her name is Crystalline, if you want to know. They remind me of the old She-Ra horses if you remember those and Fashion Star Fillies.

You are right. Just looked them up now, and they are so beautiful looking. Interestingly they've got some similar names to certain G1 ponies (Morning Glory, Skydancer, Firefly), but they're not the same, and I wonder how they sold? Sadly it appears they did not make any unicorns...

What's interesting also is there is a Sega Genesis game that's similar to My Little Pony, Crystal's Pony Tale, and now that I think about it, Crystal in that game looks just like one of those Dream Beauties almost, along with the other ponies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z0NaCnqxYM

I love that game. It's on the easy side sure, but it was fun and I enjoyed customizing her. Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1