Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon's special talents?

Ethereal

I have theorised that having everything handed to them has made them set for life, and therefore the have no need for a special sort of talent. So their cutie marks relate to their posh lifestyles as a sort of "default" thing for richer ponies.

there cutie mark seem to be a product of the upbringing

Diamond Tiata has been treated like a princess all her life so her talent may be being Regal.

Silver Spoon was raised with a silver spoon, so her talent may be being a etiquette instructor teaching pony how to behave.

They could very well live a life of riches and snobbery without actual talent. Tiara would probably constantly sport a Diamond Tiara, and Spoon would make sure even her eating is regal. Plus Silver Spoon acts like there's a spoon up her ass 24/7.

(edited)

From an implicit point of view, quite literally, being bitches.

Came in to see this famous comment.

Their special talents are being spoiled, whiny princesses as they've been raised thus far. Wouldn't it be justice if Diamond Tiara ends up just making costume jewelry and accessories, not real tiaras, while Silver Spoon only makes small utensils for tea sets and playthings.

The justice is that for Diamond Tiara and making costume jewelry, those items are fake just like Diamond Tiara can be fake and superficial as she probably will be when she's older.

Silver Spoon would be making spoons that serve no real purpose but to go along with a child's toy, thus meaning she serves no real purpose to society.

Boom, roast'd.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle

• 1 year later...

From an implicit point of view, quite literally, being bitches.

Silver Spoon's name and cutie mark are synonymous with the notion of inherited wealth, and directly relates to the idiom that children are born with 'silver spoons' in their mouths - they are given only the very best and subsequently have unbound desires, and ill-mannered temperaments, granted by the opportunities that they themselves did not earn (which was reinforced with the introduction of Filthy Rich). Diamond Tiara's mark can also be parallelled in terms of implications.

As for a literal equivalent, well, from what we've seen of both ponies so far, I don't believe either character was ever intended to be developed to incorporate an actual special talent of sorts.

Yep. The first sentence makes the most sense to me. But I see where you are going and coming from with this. Makes lotsa sense. Yep. Sure does. Thanks! This topic, (and kinda this comment) made me want to join. I had always wondered...

I'm guessing Silver Spoon's special talent would be making.. spoons or metalwork?

Diamond Tiara's is probably making jewelry, guessing by her tiara.

Currently, their special talents are, simply put, being stuck-up bitches.

The tiara and silver spoon cutie marks represent negative symbolic gestures and metaphors in Western culture. Diamond Tiara's cutie mark (plus name) can translate to being "Daddy's Little Girl" or "Daddy's Princess." Like crowns, tiaras represent royalty. And don't forget how wealthy her father is; he's named "Filthy Rich" for a reason. Silver Spoon's cutie mark and name come from this metaphor, "Born with a silver spoon in his or her mouth," which dictates to being bitchy and coming from a wealthy background, too.

On the other hand, while Silver Spoon is a brat herself, at times she's shown compassion. Her most well-known example is her being the first to clap after Granny Smith told her story behind the zap apples and Ponyville origins. So there can mean a bit more behind Silver Spoon's cutie mark so she can grow into a more thorough character. Diamond Tiara hasn't shown any redeeming qualities, yet Silver Spoon has. I'd love to see this developed further in the series.

I wonder, what if it's the other way around?  What if they're mean because they got lousy cutie marks?  Imagine: there's little Diamond Tiara, having a birthday.  She opens one of her presents--a diamond tiara, and puts it on.  "Yay!  I love it, Daddy!  It's sooo preeeetyy!"  *poof*  Her cutie mark appears.  At first she's delighted, and naturally starts to wear her diamond tiara around everywhere she goes.  Likewise for her best friend Silver Spoon (except she doesn't wear her spoon).  But then, other foals start getting their cutie marks.  Diamond and Silver start to notice a pattern: everybody else's cutie marks aren't just their names or a favorite birthday present, but indicators of special abilities and talents.  Gradually, the horror creeps in: Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon realize that they will never be good at, or for, anything.  And what happens when the other foals figure that out?  How miserable will their lives be then?

And so, perhaps without ever really articulating it, they embark upon a desperate course: using meanness and domination to keep the other ponies from discovering the awful truth.  And the ponies they hate and fear most: blank flanks, who are still rich in potential and possibility, whose clear flanks offer painful reminders of the days when they too could still dream of becoming something wonderful.

"Its...what my...*sob*...cutie mark is telling meee..."

• Brohoof 3

• 1 year later...

bit of an old topic, but ill still put in my 2 bits. I find it interesting the shows never gone into it in detail. they put so much importance on what makes somepony special, yet we have yet to find out what makes THEM special. offhand, id say diamond tiaras is just being a royal pain lol. thats litterally all shes been since her first appearance. but in all seriousness, its hard to tell what they represent, other than matching their names to a t.

Edited by mysticalnight

Sometimes a cutie mark indirectly represents the pony's special talent, just like Cheese Sandwich's cutie mark refers to his stage name, and so the fact he throws parties.

Same for Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, but their talent are still unclear.

Being complete A-holes is one. I'm not sure what their talents are. It seems like Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon have no real talent at all looking at their cutie marks.

They are both probably going to spend their lives criticizing other ponies to make themselves feel good.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not "could" ... she explicitly says her special talent is "getting ponies to do what she wants" (in "Crusaders of the Lost Mark")

I think etiquette/manners is the best bet for Silver Spoon. 

On 10/12/2015 at 4:03 AM, Nightmare_Shinigami said:

As we had seen in Crusaders of the Lost Mark Diamond could be

Reveal hidden contents

a good Leader seeing how she organized the building of the new Playground

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, mrgrimm said:

Not "could" ... she explicitly says her special talent is "getting ponies to do what she wants" (in "Crusaders of the Lost Mark")

I think etiquette/manners is the best bet for Silver Spoon. 

For Silver Spoon being an adviser for Celestia or something? :ooh:

I like the of them being involved in jewlry production and maybe being a high-end food critic. As for them being spoiled what I find interesting is that Dimond Tiaras dad is not a jerk. He actually forces her to take part in the ZapApple Jam festivities with Granny Smith. They guy might come off as pompous but I've yet to see him be a jerk. 

23 hours ago, mrgrimm said:

I wonder how does her talent work? and how far does it go?

My guess is that she's just extra charming and persuades other ponies easily. But as we have seen in Ponyville Confidential, her methods are not infallible.

In Silverspoon's case, I guess her talent is to be refined. At first it would seem like a poor talent, but what if she was able to quickly grasp other culture's manners? That would give her the tools to become a great diplomat.

2 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

I wonder how does her talent work? and how far does it go?

My guess is that she's just extra charming and persuades other ponies easily. But as we have seen in Ponyville Confidential, her methods are not infallible.

In Silverspoon's case, I guess her talent is to be refined. At first it would seem like a poor talent, but what if she was able to quickly grasp other culture's manners? That would give her the tools to become a great diplomat.

Maybe she is gonna work for Celestia. :dash:

• Brohoof 2

47 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Maybe she is gonna work for Celestia. :dash:

Hmm i'd love to see a future episode where the CMC and the rest of their classmates are the focus and see developments like this.