Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cool Villains With Lame Defeats

Castle Bleck

(edited)
On 7/12/2014 at 7:43 PM, ShadowPirateX said:

Getting your head and spine ripped off your body

Wasn't that The Fallen?

Oh, and speaking of TF, did he just forget his psychic powers when Optimus finally reached him?

Edited by A.V.

(edited)

The Mayor from Buffy Season 3 is another one I'd like to add. He finally ascends and then gets blown up by dynamite...what?!

Edited by Guest

Wasn't that The Fallen?

Oh, and speaking of TF, did he just forget his psychic powers or something when Optimus finally reached him?

No, The Fallen got his face/mask ripped off (hence Optimus Prime's famous line "Give me your face!") and then his spark crushed. Also, I guess psychic powers are difficult to use when you have a Transformer, a Prime nonetheless, who recently combined with the parts of a powerful Seeker relentlessly pursuing you. Megatron got his head ripped off by Optimus in Dark of the Moon, but something tells me he's not gone for good...

(I want no spoilers for Age of Extinction, please!)

I haven't had too many issues with various villain defeats, but one I will bring up is that of Emperor Charles Zii Brittania. I have never fully understood the deal with the Sword of Akasha, Thought Elevator, and the Rognarok Connection, and I've watched Code Geass at least five times by now.

Still though, ALL HAIL LELOUCH, ALL HAIL BRITTANIA!!!!!

The Reapers in Mass Effect. In the first game we only met one of them, we didn't know what they were, their purpose. They were quite scary, intimidating. Then they had to ruin it by trying to explain everything, completely killing the mystery surrounding them. But still, the conversation with Sovereign in Mass Effect 1 is one of my favorite video game moments from last generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZitlia-u-4

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'd say Madara Uchiha in Naruto, but face it; you were so sick of that sonovab****, you cheered when Black Zetsu and Kaguya Otsutsuki finally chumped him, too.

Edited by A.V.

The Reapers in Mass Effect. In the first game we only met one of them, we didn't know what they were, their purpose. They were quite scary, intimidating. Then they had to ruin it by trying to explain everything, completely killing the mystery surrounding them. But still, the conversation with Sovereign in Mass Effect 1 is one of my favorite video game moments from last generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZitlia-u-4

Explaining what the Reapers were and where they came from is not what ruined them for me, it was the ending we were given and the way they were written.  I agree, the Reapers (Soveriegn) were intimidating, scary enemies.  The mystery about motivation made them terrifying, so Bioware decides to write them out in such a...I don't know even how to describe it way.  Remember Harbinger from ME2?  Well, he's going to show up ONCE in the ENTIRETY of ME3 and not say anything.  The Reapers weren't even enemies in the third game.  They were just lifeless vessiles that we were tricked into believe the Reapers themselves were the enemy.  Not exaclty...

Plus the explaination of their creation lacks any decent logic that I might as well stop playing the game when I reach the Citadel teleporter and pretend it was a TV series that was tragically cancelled before it could be completed.  ME3's ending ruined Mass Effect for me.

/rant

tl:dr  I agree with the above post.

• Brohoof 1

Count Dooku (Star Wars) and Bane (The Dark Knight Rises).

Dooku's was okay to me because it was out of betrayal but Bane?  He just gets shot like a common foot-soldier dismissively.  :)

• 1 month later...

Bane in Dark Knight Rises is my obvious answer. How can you spend so long making this fantastic, beautifully beastly man mountain of a villain who destroys the Dark Knight and the city and everything he/it symbolises and they bitch him out to getting shot in the back with a rocket by Catwoman?! He deserved so much better,

My other answer is kinda left field, because he wasn't a "great" villain or even in a particularly "good" movie, but a villain and movie that had lots of potential but failed to live up to any of it and made it even worse with how he was killed off. I'm talking Stuntman Mike (Kurt Russell) from Tarantino's Death Proof. I could go on about how the movie really failed to deliver on it's promise of exploitation and cool Kurt Russell killing lots of people in his car, but it happened once it was cool so skip to the end and this guy gets chased down by the group of girl, flees in terror from them, cries like a baby and gets his ass kicked! Not much of a way for a villain to go, they just made him seem so pathetic in the end, taking away anything that made him a "villain" and more like a victim. I could argue that maybe Tarantino wanted to do that thematically, but that's not my point.

• 4 years later...

It's a toss up between Captain Phasma and Ulysses Claw. 

Two characters with screen presence and elaborate backstories, yet one dies after 5 minutes of screen time and the other is killed in a bait and switch for the real villain. 

The storm king. He's like the coolest MLP villain ever, his comical personality and his capability to rule the world with all that power? Only to be wasted for jokes. He literally just took over half of the world through fascism!  The comic did a better justice for him than the movie. They introduced a bad ass villain who succeed taking over half of the world (before tempest's help) only for the movie to do a flop on this character.

And hands down this character..

voldemort.jpg

Voldemort is powerful...so much plot holes just so he can be defeated in a stupid way. The biggest plot-hole? Is this. Since he just killed Harry, wouldn't the elder wand should already belong to Voldemort? It never say you have to disarm a wizard to gain the right to the elder wand. 

The Predator in Predator 2. He slaughtered people en masse only to get beat in the end for making stupid decisions. Standing on the edge of a building for no reason just so he can get tackled by Danny Glover, subsequently getting his arm chopped off by his own disc, getting chased back to his ship, and then dying in a 1-on-1 fight. Again, by his own disc. Because he hesitated, and they just HAD to make Glover look good by landing the killing blow first. 

I swear, everything that happened in the third act killed this movie for me. The only reason people are saying it's "good" now is because Fox's standards sunk even lower with shit fests like AvP1 and The Predator.

On 7/12/2014 at 7:51 AM, This Whomps said:

General Scales from Starfox Adventures, it especially hurts that you never got to fight the bastard

Good to know my opinion still hasn't changed, this is still one of the worst ones, the game built him as a terrifying dictator and literally at the last minute they made him Andross's bitch. I want my final battle with the bastard dammit

On 7/12/2014 at 4:43 PM, ShadowPirateX said:

Some people say the ways Megatron was defeated in the Michael Bay movies were lame.

Please... I'd say G1 Megatron had a much more undignifying defeat in the G1 movie. Getting your head and spine ripped off your body is at least a cooler way to go, than falling off a ledge and then getting casually dropped out of a space shuttle. By Starscream, nonetheless!

First off, Optimus was the one that defeated Megatron not Starscream. Second Starscream dropped him and and doomed himself by letting Megs run into Unicron who repaired him and gave him a complete upgrade which would let Megatron/Galvatron get his revenge on Starscream. I'd say that entire sequence is satisfying