Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash Hates [Insert Girly Thing Here]

RainbowDash24

“Rainbow Dash hates dresses/skirts.”

“Rainbow Dash hates pink.”

“Rainbow Dash hates fashion.”

“Rainbow Dash hates hugs.”

"Rainbow Dash hates singing."

Am I the only one that doesn't like these misconceptions of Rainbow Dash? Some fans seem to think she hates these things even though evidence shows that it’s the opposite.

“Rainbow Dash hates dresses.”

Now, we've seen her wear at least 3 or 4 dresses in the show, and she's had no objections to them. The only time I can think of was in Inspiration Manifestation when Rarity put that dress on Rainbow, but I think anyone would freak out if they were in the middle of something and all of sudden a dress appeared on them. And it looked rather heavy, so, yeah...

The Gala dress:

post-20977-0-44214300-1405271569_thumb.png

They say “Diamonds are a girls’ best friend” and apparently that includes Rainbow Dash. :P And I just love her Gala dress!

The Bridesmaid's dress:

post-20977-0-40754600-1405271646_thumb.png

She looks pretty happy to be a bridesmaid, especially since later during the rehearsal, she and Rarity were giggling.

The Coronation dress:

post-20977-0-23048400-1405271773_thumb.png

This is probably the only dress that doesn't have rainbows in it, and she still looks great!

And the Fall Formal dress from EqG:

post-20977-0-58404400-1405271909_thumb.png

And her EqG outfit:

post-20977-0-57822900-1405271957_thumb.png

A pink skirt, no less. I’ve seen a lot of fans complain about how her wearing a skirt and how “she would never wear one/she hates skirts.” Really? She’s worn dresses, why should skirts be any different? And it’s not like it’s all she wears. We’ve seen her in pants:

post-20977-0-94747700-1405272170_thumb.png

Soooo…what’s the big deal? She’s not even wearing a super girly one. Not all skirts are girly, you know. There’s plenty of sporty and cool-looking ones that she’d probably wear.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that she hates dresses. If she did, we’d certainly know it, as she’s not afraid to say her opinion.

The idea that she hates pink just comes out of nowhere. I’ve gone through screenshots on MLP Wikia and found quite a few pictures of her with pink things.

S1E3 - The Ticket Master:

post-20977-0-67764500-1405272454_thumb.png

Of all the different-colored blankets in the world to have and she chose a pink one. And if it was a gift, she has no problem using it.

S1E7 -  Dragonshy:

post-20977-0-28998400-1405272514_thumb.png

Here she’s playing with a pinkish-purple ball.

S2E7 - May the Best Pet Win:

post-20977-0-77847700-1405272653_thumb.png

She’s wearing a pink scarf in the photo shoot for the Style part of her competition. Also, Dash seems to have no problem with that super, sparkly, purple backdrop.

S2E9 - Sweet and Elite:

post-20977-0-49146000-1405272708_thumb.png

Dash playing with a pink balloon. There’s plenty of balloons of many colors in that room, but she chose a pink one. Might be a bit of a stretch, but I thought I’d include it anyway.

S3E6 - Sleepless in Ponyville:

post-20977-0-77979800-1405272792_thumb.png

Nice sleeping bag, Dash! Where'd ya get it, cuz I want one! :P If that isn't proof that she likes pink, then I don't know what is.

S4E12 - Pinkie Pride:

post-20977-0-42275800-1405272869_thumb.png

Out of all the party hats she could’ve worn for her birthday, she chose pink. Not sure if she had any say in what the cake looked like, but there’s a lot of pink frosting on it.

Am I forgetting something?

…Oh yes…her eyes!

So, while it may not be her favorite color (or is it?), she definitely doesn’t hate the color. I wouldn’t be if surprised she liked every color of the rainbow, heh. Anyway, not sure where fans got the idea that she hates pink. Is it because it’s a “girly” color, and since she’s a tomboy she MUST hate all girly things? There was a time when pink was a masculine color, and blue was the feminine one. So, she should also hate blue because it was once a girly color, even though she IS blue herself, a rather girly blue, might I add. But, I don’t think Dash would care about that stuff. Pink would be just another color to her. I must say, though, she looks really good in pink. ;)

For a pony who supposedly hates fashion, she sure was excited about being in a fashion show in Suited for Success. When Rarity told her friends that the fashion show was going to be fun, Dash didn’t go “Fun? You call on being a stage with weird outfits fun?” Nope. Her reaction: “Oh! I love fun things! :D

In Luna Eclipsed, it looks like Dash made the Shadowbolts costume herself. She was the only one out of the girls to see them up close. And the stitching implies that it was amateurly made, so she most likely sewed it herself, but she made it good enough to not fall apart from all the flying and movement she was doing.

Then, there was her little photo shoot in May the Best Pet Win for the “Style” part of her competition. She was basically modelling with each of the animals. She even let Rarity put makeup on her:

post-20977-0-94745900-1405273015_thumb.png

And she had no problem helping Rarity with her business when she needed it like in Rarity Takes Manehatten and For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils.

“Rainbow hates hugs.”

post-20977-0-24583400-1405273074_thumb.png

post-20977-0-78817000-1405273078_thumb.png

post-20977-0-15629500-1405273084_thumb.png

Oh yeah, she really hates them with a passion!

There are plenty of other hug scenes like in part 2 of the pilot episode, Dragon Quest with Twilight, Rarity and Spike; in Rarity Takes Manehatten, and the fact that she hugged Daring Do.

Yeah, she said it was weird for ponies to burst into song, and yet she's done that very thing herself. Winter-Wrap Up anyone? She sings the first line. And every time she does sing in the show, she makes an epic show of it, like in Find a Pet song, or even the Junior Speedsters song/chant.

So, I find that hard to believe...and I'm still waiting for a Rainbow Dash song, Hasbro. :okiedokielokie:

So, yeah, I just wanted to express my thoughts on these things. Is it really that hard to imagine Dash liking these things? She may be a tomboy, but not all tomboys are the same. There’s no Tomboy Code that says she must hate all girly things, or that she should stick to the stereotype. Being Rainbow Dash, I don't think she'd like being put into a tiny box like that. I’m a bit of a tomboy myself, and I certainly don’t hate feminine things. While I prefer to wear jeans and shirts and no makeup, I still don’t mind dressing up every now and then.

I like that she has a girly side, but I am a girl myself, so that’s no surprise. I just love those little moments in the show where her girly side comes out. If Rarity can be tough as nails when she needs to be, then Rainbow Dash certainly can have her girly moments.

So, yeah...that's all I've got. Sorry, if it's too long, I seem to have a habit of making long posts. And this is my first topic, so woo-hoo! :)

• Brohoof 18

The only thing I don't like about the skirt in EQG isn't the fact that it's a skirt, or even the fact that it's pink, it just doesn't mesh well with the rest of her and just looks out of place to me :P

But yeah, I agree with this for the most part, I've always found it shallow how people assume that she shouldn't like girly things because she's a tomboy.

A common complaint I remember hearing towards her EQG's design was usually "She's a tomboy! Why is she wearing a skirt!?"

ummm...Where does it say that tomboy's can't wear skirts?

As far as I know, the only thing girly thing I'm aware of that she dislikes is hooficures

Of course though I'm a guy so I don't know how much weight my opinion holds :P

• Brohoof 2

Oh, I wasn't really asking anything. I just wanted to make a topic about it that can be discussed. This is my first time making a topic on here. I supposed I could've made a blog, but I didn't really think about it.

I agree with you.

The only reason that Dash wearing a dress in Equestria Girls bothered me was because she was wearing it while playing soccer and that doesn't seem very practical to me, this also confused me because as an athlete she should have realized that was a poor choice for athletic gear.

I also thought of one you missed;

post-20372-0-33051400-1405277663_thumb.png

Rainbow Dash cuddling one of the Parasprites when the girls found out about them because they thought they were cute.

• Brohoof 4

I agree with you.

The only reason that Dash wearing a dress in Equestria Girls bothered me was because she was wearing it while playing soccer and that doesn't seem very practical to me, this also confused me because as an athlete she should have realized that was a poor choice for athletic gear.

I also thought of one you missed;

attachicon.gifRainbow Dash cuddling a Parasprite.png

Rainbow Dash cuddling one of the Parasprites when the girls found out about them because they thought they were cute.

Yeah, I thought of that one, and kinda forgot to include it. I think she even kissed it. :lol:

Even Dash isn't immune to cute things. :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

RD is a complex - and sometimes surprising - character.

I'll start by saying that Rainbow Dash is feminine; just not always overtly so or necessarily in the "traditional" sense.  Femininity comes in different forms, and that's at least a small part of why I gravitated towards Dashie (or gravitated towards so-called "tomboy" characters in the past).  It's all there in her character, but there's more to her than simply that.  I have, however, objected to what appeared to be a pastel pink purse that was included with one of her brushables.  Even if she's cool with the color pink (and pink's a cool color, after all - one of her best friends is pink lol), that hardly seemed a fitting insert.  Had it been a pink trophy (which is exactly what was included with another RD brushable) I wouldn't have thought twice about it.  Again, she expresses her femininity in different ways.  But she can for certain wear the HAY out of a dress.  I will point out that she seems concerned about the practicality of what she's wearing, though; as evidenced by her questioning whether her dress in "A Canterlot Wedding" was "aerodynamic."  She was tasked with performing a sonic rainboom, and I recall that she ultimately opted to just strip naked beforehand.

I don't especially care about human Rainbow Dash, because human Rainbow Dash is not pony Rainbow Dash.  And, therefore, is not the "real" Rainbow Dash.  Just how I feel.

And her favorite color, according to the Hot Topic "Hot Minute" (if that holds any water), is "rainbow color" lol.

Edited by PegaMister
  • Brohoof 2

Just because you're a tomboy, that doesn't mean that you can't like those things.

I'm not a tomboy (because I'm you know, I'm a dude), but I'd imagine that. I've always imaged Rainbow likes fashion, but not in the way like, say Rarity. 

Oh take a look at this then

post-27623-0-77568000-1405279197.jpg

THANK YOU! My goodness, people seem to think just because she's a tomboy, she acts like a boy more than anything. No, she is very feminine, and if you watch the show, you should be able to see that Rainbow Dash does have a soft and girly side, same with the rest of the Mane 6. 

I'm a tomboy, I like wearing dresses and skirts.

I'm a tomboy, pink is my second favorite color.

I'm a tomboy, I enjoy singing.

I'm a tomboy, I don't mind hugging others.

See the point? Just because you are something, doesn't mean you can't like something. 

• Brohoof 4

“Rainbow Dash hates dresses/skirts.”

“Rainbow Dash hates hugs.”

Am I the only one that doesn't like these misconceptions of Rainbow Dash? 

Not at all. I've always been irritated by the notion that "Rainbow Dash doesn't care about her personal appearance at all and her mane hasn't been brushed in weeks". The only member of the Mane 6 who cares about their looks more is Rarity!

Why not Pinkie Pie? Pinkie Pie can't even tame that hair and she loves getting herself covered in cake and food without particularly minding it. But no, this is the one who has to be coerced into taking a bath:

tumblr_mk3iytwBto1s3oobro4_250.gif

wow look at that rat's nest

Look Before You Sleep wasn't exactly about the conflict between Rares And Dash, was it? Just because Rainbow Dash's sense of style aims towards "cool" over "pretty" doesn't mean that she doesn't care for it. 

Twilight Sparkle is another one that I could see being much less concerned about how she looks than Rainbow Dash. 

Twilight: "Shower? I'm in the middle of the book! I can just put it off until tomorrow."

Spike: "You said that yesterday!"

Twilight: "I didn't really need to take a shower then, I was in the library all day reading!"  ^_^ 

If there's one big way I'd contrast Rainbow with Rarity, it'd be that she's slightly more shallow. Rainbow Dash does appreciate awesomeness for its own sake, but more importantly, she wants to impress ponies. 

tumblr_m9lf2m8Wep1rrixlpo5_250.gif

Rainbow Dash is actually Jeff Winger.

Rarity does it because her own sense of aesthetics commands her to. She loves making dresses because they are beautiful, and thus doesn't have the same sorts of hang-ups that her friend does about having to keep up appearances. That being said, she still has some of those traits; Sweet and Elite sums it up well. It's good material for an episode, no?

• Brohoof 8

Very well put.  Rainbow Dash will never be a girly girl, but she does in fact enjoy feminine things in moderation.  You can be tough and beautiful at the same time.  :) 

But when I saw the thread title, here is the first scene that came to my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_7BUlfbhG0

She doesn't go for hooficures.  :P 

• Brohoof 1

I like this. I have always thought from the start that even though Rainbow is a tomboy, she still is content with "girly" things. In my opinion, this is one of the reasons why Rainbow (and the rest of the Mane 6, for that matter) is both three-dimensional and charming. Thanks for writing this! :3

• Brohoof 6

Not at all. I've always been irritated by the notion that "Rainbow Dash doesn't care about her personal appearance at all and her mane hasn't been brushed in weeks". The only member of the Mane 6 who cares about their looks more is Rarity!

Why not Pinkie Pie? Pinkie Pie can't even tame that hair and she loves getting herself covered in cake and food without particularly minding it. But no, this is the one who has to be coerced into taking a bath:

tumblr_mk3iytwBto1s3oobro4_250.gif

wow look at that rat's nest

Yeah, I've seen that a lot, too. She cares about her appearance, she just goes about it differently than Rarity. Like when she went through that wind tunnel in the Pet episode, her hair was a mess, so she ran her hoof through to make it perfect again.

And apparently she's not opposed to The Hair Mane Flip. I've seen her do it at least twice in the show.:P

• Brohoof 4

Everybody else's already touched on the fashion angle and I don't have much to add there, but I did notice something about the one below while putting together a blog, a while ago.

“Rainbow hates hugs.”

It's true that she's not big on random displays of affection. After all she's got a reputation to maintain -_- ! But give her an excuse, and she actually turns really huggy. Need reassurance? Dash hug! Kick flank with a personal hero? Celebratory Dash hug! Friend overcomes their fears and saves the day? Moar Dash hug! "I goofed, I'm sorry and you're really important to me :( ?" Apology hug! Dash hugs also come in group and wing varieties. Get yours today!

I'd go so far as to call her one of the huggiest main characters ^_^. When she gets going, only Pinkie can beat her in terms of enthusiastic cuddling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VP4vUutXV8

The correct answer is "All of the above"

• Brohoof 5

Everybody else's already touched on the fashion angle and I don't have much to add there, but I did notice something about the one below while putting together a blog, a while ago.

It's true that she's not big on random displays of affection. After all she's got a reputation to maintain -_- ! But give her an excuse, and she actually turns really huggy. Need reassurance? Dash hug! Kick flank with a personal hero? Celebratory Dash hug! Friend overcomes their fears and saves the day? Moar Dash hug! "I goofed, I'm sorry and you're really important to me :( ?" Apology hug! Dash hugs also come in group and wing varieties. Get yours today!

I'd go so far as to call her one of the huggiest main characters ^_^. When she gets going, only Pinkie can beat her in terms of enthusiastic cuddling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VP4vUutXV8

The correct answer is "All of the above"

lol Dash hugs are awesome! :P

I think that's what makes her so interesting. She may not do some of these things very often, but when she does, it's all the more special. :)

• Brohoof 2