Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever had a lucid dream?  

167 users have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a lucid dream?

• Yes
    • No

I think I just had a lucid dream last night, but the moment I realized I was dreaming I woke up. :/ But anyway, I am literally writing this after the dream, let it be my first recorded dream:

It started with me sliding through an icy tunnel uncontrollably, spinning and tumbling until I landed on a tiny hole, barely enough room for me to fit in. The tunnel where I went through sealed behind me, leaving me locked up there(I have claustrophobia). I was panicking, banging the walls and screaming for help for a few minutes, crying hysterically. Eventually, I just collapsed on the floor, wrapping myself up in a baby position, shivering from the cold ice and just whimpering and crying.

That's when I heard something, a faint guitar tune, I lifted my head to look for the source of the tune, suddenly seeing a pair of white hooves, decorated with yellow formations on the bottom-part. I looked even further up, and I saw Celestia looking down at me, smiling and saying: "Hello Niko." I was confused, tears still dripping from my cheeks as the small ice cave just disappeared. "C-Celestia?" I asked, wiping some of the tears as I stood up shakily. "Yes, I came here for you, come with me." she replied, pointing his head at her back, asking me to ride her.

As fter I climbed on her back and wrapped my arms around her head, we just started flying in the darkness, the guitar tune I heard earlier getting louder, recognizing it as one of my favorite songs(Woodkid - Brooklyn). The gentle breeze dried away my tears as we soared through the darkness, asking Celestia: "Where are we going?" She turned her head to face me again, smiling as she said: "To a magical place, you'll see soon." I started seeing a faint white shimmer in the distance, growing bigger as we flew closer, the tune in the background started to have singing in it too.

I was singing the song's words in my mind, until I got into a part that wasn't in the song: "My heart belongs to Equestria." And right at that moment, I saw that we were in Equestria, flying over Ponyville. I saw Rainbow Dash flying next to us, giving us a salute before dashing off somewhere. Then I saw Twilight Sparkle and Spike on the ground in front of their treehouse, waving to us. Then I saw Pinkie Pie bouncing next to us, waving to us with a wide smile, saying on each bounce: "Hey...there...welcome...to...Ponyville!" I smiled and nodded at her, suddenly noticing Fluttershy, Applejack and Rarity under a tree, all three waving at us with smiles.

A few minutes passed, until we reached Celestia's castle in Canterlot. We landed on a balcony, leading straight to her own room, where Luna already was standing, along with someone else. I tried taking a closer look zt who the other pony was, realizing it was actually my OC, Silver Spirit. That's when I realized I was dreaming and I woke up.

I don't know how long it lasted, but I tnink it was around 7 hours, and it was probably my best dream ever.

• Brohoof 1

Even the slightest fragment of the idea and concept of controlling one's dreams leads to endless possibilities, and maximum control, power and authority. It's one of the things I wish I could do easily. For me, there are dreamless nights, dreams that I remember when they're happening (forgotten when I wake), dreams that I remember some parts for a few hours after waking, usually remember the most memorable ones up to a year (maybe more), the dreams that I remember forever, and then lucid dreaming. Unfortunately, I don't have any fond memories of the latter in my past, and it's one thing that I really wish I knew how to do.

There are so many stories, universes, and lifestyles that I would really want re-enact the way I want it (Zelda, MLP, Pokémon [i can't tell you how much I've wanted that one over the years], etc.), because they are just so legendary, iconic, and/or just make me have an urge to do it. Aforementioned, as well as being a likely given, it's not easy. I don't think I'd totally be willing to go through too much, and honestly, I am not even sure 100% of what I was doing, or if it was right.

For instance, one common way I wanted to try it is by attempting to wake up as a character from a video game in a specific environment as a starting point. To help, I put on music that played in said environment, level, stage, act, etc. (and coincidentally, one track I usually had in mind was very calm, relaxing, easy-listening, perfect sleeping music). I used to get really, really, really drowsy (which I always loved feeling before going to bed), and I roughly assumed that would help, but nope. Nothing. Never.

I gave it the old “oh well” and moved on with my life. Nowadays, I only best hope to have one of these lucky and rare dreams that can be harnessed with a lot of effort, but this effort doesn't make me want to go through it. I'd rather just live by chance on this one.

Good luck, everypony, and sweet dreams!

wouldn't what I say also come out IRL?

Usually not.

Reminds me of a funny story though. One of my friends was at a campout, and he just randomly started speaking SPANISH in his sleep. he spoke about a paragraph of fluent Spanish before finally shutting up.

• Brohoof 1

I've tried this before, but I just don't have the patience XD.

I think I may have another go in the summer holidays, when I don't have to care about waking up at 7am.

Lucid Dreaming might be out of my leauge. Regular sleep is hard enough for me since apparently laying down to try and sleep tells my brain to start functioning 10 times as usual and then im stuck awake in bed thinking about anything. I thought day dreaming would help but it doesn't bring me sleep. when I do dream I know it but I have no control, my dreams simulate real life but are usual ripped out of my memory upon awaking.

I had a lucid dream once.

The first thing I tried to do as soon as I realized it was a dream was to see if I was able to wake myself up.

It worked alright.

I never had another lucid dream after that.

feelsbadman.jpg

WOW, I just had a really long, really complex and really vivid dream past night. Should I post it? It's about three paragraphs long. No ponies though. :c

I have a lot of nightmares, and I love survival horror games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Maybe Catherine counts.

I think if I could lucid dream It would make these nightmares enjoyable, and I'd purposely look at scary stuff before bed.

I have a lot of nightmares, and I love survival horror games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Maybe Catherine counts.

I think if I could lucid dream It would make these nightmares enjoyable, and I'd purposely look at scary stuff before bed.

Actually, funny stoy about that-from what i've heard, that's how most children get their first lucid dream- after getting a nightmare, they realize they're dreaming and purposely wake themselves up. however, if they can get themselves to NOT wake up and instead just change the dream... you know where that goes.

Actually, funny stoy about that-from what i've heard, that's how most children get their first lucid dream- after getting a nightmare, they realize they're dreaming and purposely wake themselves up. however, if they can get themselves to NOT wake up and instead just change the dream... you know where that goes.

Summoning Twilight Sparkle to impale your nightmare monsters with her horn and riding off into the sunset?

Lucid dreaming is an extremely difficult skill to learn, and more difficult still to master. I found myself seeking to learn it primarily to end the constant plague of nightmares that I used to suffer up until about six years ago or so. Nearly every night was awful and miserable in one way or another, but once I began to learn how to control my dreams, I was able to banish them entirely.

By far the most important element is learning how to remember your dreams in great detail. This key skill is crucial if you want to succeed at lucid dreaming, for a variety of reasons. First, it provides a general benefit in the form of educating you. You can look at your dreams, attempt analysis, and enjoy them...not much point to lucid dreaming if you can't remember them after all, right? Secondly, it allows you start recognizing signs that you're dreaming. For example, one of the best ways to tell if you're dreaming or not is to read a line of text. Re-read it three times. If it changes, you're dreaming. If it doesn't change after three times, there's a 99% chance you're not dreaming. There are also plenty of other signs, but most of them tend to be specific to the person. Dream recall will take a long time to master on its own depending upon how good your memory is. (This, incidentally, is why I am able to post such lengthy posts in the Pony Dream thread, because my memory of my own dreams is just that good. It took me months to get to that level of effortless recall.)

Once you're able to recall your dreams, you can proceed to the next step of attempting to recognize you're dreaming. As I said, this generally involves you recognizing one sign or another, something like a change in text, or an appearance of the moon at high noon, or, say, a flaming purple cat that bursts out of nowhere, something ridiculous like that. This is extremely difficult. Often when you recognize you're dreaming you'll either wake yourself up or you'll be distracted so fast and drawn back into the dream that it won't have made a difference. I recommend researching this particular aspect deeper on the internet, as there are reputable sources that can help you with this. (They're difficult to find, however...if I can find the old source I used, I'll link you.)

When you can recognize you're dreaming, you then have to take control. That is the hardest thing to do yet. I often fail at this myself, and when I do gain control most of the time I can only steer my dreams in general directions. For instance, I could desire to dream about ponies, but what form that dream takes could be anything from the ponies appearing as invisible-except-their-hair pets that are skittish as all get out, to a romantic candlelit dinner with Twilight Sparkle, to all kinds of weird things. It depends upon what my mind comes up with, really.

As Klopp says, there's a difference between lucid dreaming and actually controlling your dreams. Lucid dreaming itself is just being aware you're dreaming, and it's a skill I would recommend to just about everyone because it's really fascinating what it can do for you. If like me you're constantly suffering nightmares, it can help you deal with them and get rid of them, because it's surprisingly simple to banish the specters when you know they're not real. I think I've had maybe one nightmare in the last six years total, when I'd had nightmares almost every night prior to that.

Okay. I'm not that educated on lucid dreaming and dreaming in general. You said that you have to read a line of text 3 times, and if it changes, you're dreaming. Not true. This is because a person, when dreaming, is unable to read. This is because your concious mind is needed to read. Some people say that you can read in your dreams, but only simple things, such as "yes" or "no".

I'd also like to say that while you can decide if you're dreaming because of weird things like flaming purple cats, I can't, and I'm sure some other people can't, also. in my dreams I believe that the dream is real to the extent that purple cats are absolutely normal. so I think that only certain people can lucid dream...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'd also like to say that while you can decide if you're dreaming because of weird things like flaming purple cats, I can't, and I'm sure some other people can't, also. in my dreams I believe that the dream is real to the extent that purple cats are absolutely normal. so I think that only certain people can lucid dream...

Makes sense. Earlier I dreamed of a walking, talking 7-inch tall action figure. No lucidity. Edited by Ninjaneer
  • Brohoof 1

I dream and remember probably every night I sleep. Lucid I have had a few times and once that I can recall I was able to control it. What a time that was too. I wish I could do it again but alas I will just have to let it come to me when it does

I had a lucid dream after playing Plague Inc. for 3 hours.

Just dreams of my disease and crap. It was... horrifying, strange, and quite interesting.

Think I'd get a pony lucid dream from watching ponies for 3 hours?

(edited)

Binaural Beats. I've heard some whacky things about them. I'm at my dad's house, with 7 Hz binaural beats on wireless headphones. (Sleeping in a new location's supposed to make LD's more likely). If this doesn't work...

Here's to hoping I don't make my brain explode twice, if that's even possible.

-edit, 10 minutes later-

I got rediculously close to using the wild method, but freaked out, thinking about the black figure and voices everyone keeps talking about.

Or what if I'm dreaming while typing this?!

Edited by Ninjaneer

I've been researching about Lucid Dreaming half a year ago and I know that dreaming about anything sexually related would wake you up.

• Brohoof 1