Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever had a lucid dream?  

167 users have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a lucid dream?

• Yes
    • No

Searched and didn't find any threads about this so I decided to make one myself.

I have never tried or found a way to lucid dream during my life so far, but am very curious about it.

Haven't tried it mostly because I have this small fear that I would go insane or mentally ruin myself.

But have anypony on this forum lucid dreamt before?

And if so, what did it feel like and how did things go?

And if not, do you know how to lucid dream but just haven't tried it for yourself?

Also, what is everyponys opinion on it?

If you have any interesting facts or rumors about lucid dreaming then don't hesitate to post it :)

Edited by Woona
  • Brohoof 2

Lucid dreaming, IIRC, is being able to control your dream and know your dreaming while doing it, right?

I have these pretty often. They're interesting when they happen, but I've woken up with sleep paralysis after some of them, which is absolutely terrifying when you don't know what it is.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Lucid dreaming, IIRC, is being able to control your dream and know your dreaming while doing it, right?

I have these pretty often. They're interesting when they happen, but I've woken up with sleep paralysis after some of them, which is absolutely terrifying when you don't know what it is.

Almost. What Klopp just posted. [Edited because I trust him more the myself on this subject]

Edited by Woona

I usually go to sleep imagining a senario, unless I'm dead tired and don't care. That's how it usually starts. Then, I'd say about... ehh... 30-40 percent of the time (?) I'll realize that I'm dreaming, and be able to direct it from there.

If there are ways to do it on purpose, I've never looked into them.

No, Lucid dreaming is simply a state of being aware of the fact that you are dreaming, and is a requirement for being able to control your dreams.

I for one Lucid dream every time I do, but I do not control my dream like you often hear about, mostly because I do not want to. I like to see my dreams as being movies, where the ending is a surprise and I don't know whats coming up next. If I actually tried to control my dreams, I would know what were to happen, and they would get boring :P

It's pretty much impossible for you to go insane trying to Lucid Dream, so I'd say go for it if you're interested ;)

• Brohoof 3

No, Lucid dreaming is simply a state of being aware of the fact that you are dreaming, and is a requirement for being able to control your dreams.

I for one Lucid dream every time I do, but I do not control my dream like you often hear about, mostly because I do not want to. I like to see my dreams as being movies, where the ending is a surprise and I don't know whats coming up next. If I actually tried to control my dreams, I would know what were to happen, and they would get boring :P

It's pretty much impossible for you to go insane trying to Lucid Dream, so I'd say go for it if you're interested ;)

Any tips or guides on how to achieve it? I would love to try it :)

Lucid dreaming is an extremely difficult skill to learn, and more difficult still to master. I found myself seeking to learn it primarily to end the constant plague of nightmares that I used to suffer up until about six years ago or so. Nearly every night was awful and miserable in one way or another, but once I began to learn how to control my dreams, I was able to banish them entirely.

By far the most important element is learning how to remember your dreams in great detail. This key skill is crucial if you want to succeed at lucid dreaming, for a variety of reasons. First, it provides a general benefit in the form of educating you. You can look at your dreams, attempt analysis, and enjoy them...not much point to lucid dreaming if you can't remember them after all, right? Secondly, it allows you start recognizing signs that you're dreaming. For example, one of the best ways to tell if you're dreaming or not is to read a line of text. Re-read it three times. If it changes, you're dreaming. If it doesn't change after three times, there's a 99% chance you're not dreaming. There are also plenty of other signs, but most of them tend to be specific to the person. Dream recall will take a long time to master on its own depending upon how good your memory is. (This, incidentally, is why I am able to post such lengthy posts in the Pony Dream thread, because my memory of my own dreams is just that good. It took me months to get to that level of effortless recall.)

Once you're able to recall your dreams, you can proceed to the next step of attempting to recognize you're dreaming. As I said, this generally involves you recognizing one sign or another, something like a change in text, or an appearance of the moon at high noon, or, say, a flaming purple cat that bursts out of nowhere, something ridiculous like that. This is extremely difficult. Often when you recognize you're dreaming you'll either wake yourself up or you'll be distracted so fast and drawn back into the dream that it won't have made a difference. I recommend researching this particular aspect deeper on the internet, as there are reputable sources that can help you with this. (They're difficult to find, however...if I can find the old source I used, I'll link you.)

When you can recognize you're dreaming, you then have to take control. That is the hardest thing to do yet. I often fail at this myself, and when I do gain control most of the time I can only steer my dreams in general directions. For instance, I could desire to dream about ponies, but what form that dream takes could be anything from the ponies appearing as invisible-except-their-hair pets that are skittish as all get out, to a romantic candlelit dinner with Twilight Sparkle, to all kinds of weird things. It depends upon what my mind comes up with, really.

As Klopp says, there's a difference between lucid dreaming and actually controlling your dreams. Lucid dreaming itself is just being aware you're dreaming, and it's a skill I would recommend to just about everyone because it's really fascinating what it can do for you. If like me you're constantly suffering nightmares, it can help you deal with them and get rid of them, because it's surprisingly simple to banish the specters when you know they're not real. I think I've had maybe one nightmare in the last six years total, when I'd had nightmares almost every night prior to that.

• Brohoof 14

I try to almost every night. I've only done it once, I realised I was dreaming but I didn't really try to control it.

I never realised it happened so regularly for some people, I'm super jealous. :P

I was practicing it actively 2 years ago, but gradually stopped when I had a disappointing few results. I want to start again, but haven't really managed to start with it seriously after my last try. My old dream journal is currently 32k words long, so I was able to get in quite a bit last time.

But I can tell you it is SO worth it when you successfully manage to have one. I mean, who wouldn't want to visit Equestria, fly or eat a ton of cheeseburgers?!

How real the dream is depends on your awareness/lucid state in the dream. You could be lucid, but still feel as you're in a dream, but I've also experience having a lucid dream being as real as reality. I some cases, lucid dreams can also feel as a hyper reality, and the dreamer experiences the lucid dream as more real than reality itself! (Sharpened senses, surroundings have more detailes etc.)

Edited by Nordica

I have personally had a quite a few lucid dreams, half of them being about ponies since I became a fan of this show. Having lucid dreams is, to me, a wonderful thing because it lets you experience stuff you normally never would in your life. You can fly, you can do magic, you can date ponies. The last one being my favorite. I have never experimented with the causes of lucid dreaming, they just come and go for me and I appreciate the ones I have experienced.

For me lucid dreaming may be quite a problem because they give me access to a place, a world which is better and more interesting than the one we live in, it therefor causes some mental instability in my view on "real" life. I have experienced episodes where I just want to lay down and dream away my life because the dreams, to me, seems like a better existence.

If anyone would ask me, I wouldn't recommend seeking out lucid dreaming if you're not aware about how they work. As said, I sometimes wish I had never experienced it in the first place, no matter how wonderful they feel, how romantic they can be, they ruin my normal life because they simply destroy the happiness I try to acquire in my everyday. I often just want to bang my head through a wall and lay in my bed and sleep, often wishing that I would never wake from these intriguing dreams.

The feeling of flying. I've never felt anything more amazing than being able to soar through the sky as I do in these dreams.

• Brohoof 4

I've been able to controle myself one time (Atleast what i can remember).

I dreamed about a Zombie apocolypse. And i think you all know how it went.

Unlimited granades ftw.

I wonder if it'd be possible to lucid dream so that I can have nightmares... Send all my dreams to hell. It's not that my dreams are bad, or anything, but I almost never get nightmares. It's probably a good thing that I don't get nightmares, I guess.

I remember trying to keep a dream journal. I'd just keep a notepad next to my bed, and right away when I wake up, I'd write down everything I know that happened in my dream. Every single detail. This would help greatly in remembering dreams longer. And remember, don't wait to write down what happened, because by the time you're out of bed, you already forgot what the dream was about.

I have been trying to lucid dream for a few years now and every time I get close to it or realize I am dreaming I get to excited upon doing so and wake myself up.....

I am taking a break from it as trying to hard can stop you from achieving it.

A good way to start of is to have a notebook and a pencil/pen next to you as you sleep so if you have a dream you can write it down as detailed as possible. Every night before you sleep you just read over your past dreams and think of them as you sleep. Doing this is a big help for achieving lucid dreaming.

Another way to lucid dream is to practice "sleep paralysis". Sleep paralysis is when your subconscious is awake but your physical body is asleep you can move straight into a lucid dream that can last up to 40 minutes.

it has some bad sides though.

For instance not being able to move your body and only being able to breath in small breaths can be terrifying it is the reason I have had to break out of it on more than one occasion.

There isn't much I can tell you on how to do it as I am still trying to do it myself.

TIP: if you do happen to go into sleep paralysis don't panic just take deep breaths and your body will realize you're still awake and you will break out of it.

I heard looking in a mirror is a bad idea, since your image might be horribly disfigured and that stuff.

I have never had a lucid dream myself. I tried to have them, but it didn't work. Guess I wasn't patient enough..

• Brohoof 1

had this in the "ponydreams" thread a while ago

I got into "WILD" lucid dreaming about half a year ago have been having a lot of pony lucid dreamibg since then :') most of them beeing one of my OCs in equestria.

Please, tell me of the "WILD" lucid dreaming. Twilight was in a dream of mine last night, and there are ones where I can almost feel an entrance way to there or hear the Mane Six's voices. My mind is skirting the edges of Equestria but it's not letting me go there! I'm desperate here! . . . Okay not really, but it would still be nice.

Good God, that's like a nightmare! If what Discord did to Ponyville was for kicks, I don't want to imagine what he would do if he was ticked off!

its kinda hard getting started with WILD lucid dreaming bacuse you get a lot of halucination in the period before the dream starts, these halucinations can be like deep voices, colours or people standing in the room ;_; so it took me about 1 week of trying befor i becam used to it and actualy got to the dream phase but when you are in the dream then you can controll every singel aspect of it and everything that happends. but dont get too over exited or you will wake up, there is only 2 ways that i know of to get out of the dream and that is to make something scary happend or just shoot yourself kinda like it is in the movie inception

you can read more about it here ^^

http://www.dreamview...-Phases-Of-WILD

http://www.dreamview...ted-Lucid-Dream

the first times i tried lucid dreaming and actually got to the dream i just tried to do more simple and not so exiting thing, after a while you can have more exiting and scary dream without getting waked up

also when you wake up or fail to get into the dream it can feel as if your whole body has gone asleep because the only part of your body that is awake at that moment is actually your head. btw i recommend that you have a notepad besides your bed to write down small parts of the dream so you can remember it later on

Thanks for the links. I'm already doing the writing thing and trying for total dream recall before I get to lucid dreaming. Is that a necessary step? The first thing I would do upon achieving lucidity would be to just trot around Ponyville, not something crazy like a Sonic Rainboom or anything. One last question, do your "projections" for lack of a better term interact with you naturally? Like you don't have to consciously tell Pinkie, AJ, etc. what to say in response to what you said right?

yes it would maybe be a good idea to try getting a total dream recall first. but yes at least i can interact in both way with them when i dream. i for the most part try to let the fantasy "take over" and let them say what the want to keep the conversation naturally. but when you try lucid dreaming for the first time i would suggest that you just try to be a human in the real world and just settel for smaller thing like walking trough walls or maybe flying. and after that try getting ponies to the real world or getting in to equestria ^^

also when you dream try doing reality checks to see if its real life or not. when you are lucid dreaming you can for example count your fingers or try turning on and of the lights in the room. with the counting your hands thing you should be able to count more then 10 fingers when you are dreaming or maybe fewer... and if you turn off the light it will just keep being on. there is a number of different "reality checks" you can do to see if you are dreaming or not because its bloody realistic almost more realistic then real life. good luck ! :D

edit: also there is another reality check you can do and that is to breath under water, in lucid dream you can most likely breath under water without any problems

what is this place fileld with som many quotes

• Brohoof 1

I remember when I was younger, majority of my dreams were lucid dreams. In fact, up until about a few years ago I would remember 4/5 dreams a week. Most of them involving falling/flying of some sort and/or running from some horrible thing. Falling dreams are actually my favorite kind of dreams. Not the slow, controlled kind of falling you'd get with, say, wings or something, but the crazy, uncontrollable falling you'd get jumping out of a plane or something. Such an adrenaline rush <3

I actually miss remembering my dreams. I'd say it's been at least a yearish since I last remembered one. It wasn't the prettiest though. Let's just say a man became a woman thanks to me and a sledghammer >.>

Edited by Eavath
  • Brohoof 1

Every dream I have is lucid.

I use to think that is how everypony dreamed,

then when I found out it was something 'special'

I was confused,

how boring your dreams must be x) ~

• Brohoof 2

I lucid dream occasionally.

Personally I don't like lucid dreaming, as it seems when I wake up I always feel mentally exhausted if I was lucid dreaming. Hope that makes sense, not sure if that's just coincidence or if that's a result of lucid dreaming.

Every dream I have is lucid.

I use to think that is how everypony dreamed,

then when I found out it was something 'special'

I was confused,

how boring your dreams must be x) ~

Thanks for rubbing it in!
  • Brohoof 2

I lucid dream occasionally.

Personally I don't like lucid dreaming, as it seems when I wake up I always feel mentally exhausted if I was lucid dreaming. Hope that makes sense, not sure if that's just coincidence or if that's a result of lucid dreaming.

Lucid dreams doesn't affect you more than what normal dreams do.

I have lucid dreamt a couple of times, and this is something I can tell you: I'm very sckeptical of the ability to go into a lucid dream by your own will. It just happens, you can't make it happen. And actually it happens quite commonly for some seconds right before you wake up.

Anyways I've had a couple of lucid dreams that went on for a while, and sometimes I have attempted to control them, without actually managing to do it. Like for example, I attempted to make something appear, but It simply wouldn't. I've told this is because my mind sees that as imposible, and thus it doesn't allow it. Like if you want a gun, you can't make it appear, but you might be able to "find" it, like in a bush or something.

Also, a friend told me once he lucid dreamt, had a gun and wanted to shoot, but when he pulled the trigger nothing happened, until he started to yell "pew, pew!", and then it started to shoot. Sounded pretty funny

This is scary :o I was talking about lucid dreaming with one of my friends in school last time I was there x)

Anyways, yeah I have had lucid dreaming I have it like once a week or something and I have had it pike that as long as I can remember