Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever had a lucid dream?  

167 users have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a lucid dream?

• Yes
    • No

I've tried it a few years ago. I achived high lucidity probably twice. Most of the time you only get a vague influence on whats goin on, it takes alot of practice. The first time i mastered teleportation, to take me to any scenario i could dream up. The second, i went for a bit of a fly.

The first hurdle is learning dream recall, which can take a while. The second is becoming aware of your dreamstate and nopting down the telltale signs. The hardest one to overcome is the third if you ask me. Getting too excited. If you find your in absolute control, in a realm as real as the waking world, to say its easy to get over excited is a huge understatement. And naturally, if you cant calm yourself, you will wake up. Try meeting Celestia on a lucid adventure and not getting excited. Like i say, incredibly difficult.

The only long term lucid skills i have is identifying nightmares and being able to wake up on demand when i have them. However i'm very tempted to retrain the more fun aspects of it. My boyfriend Wayne for instance has already used his natural talent for this to visit equestria and have fun with many of the residents. His favourite pony is Celestia, and he managed to meet her too.

So certainly if anypony has time on thier hands and good self discipline, you owe it to yourself to try it. Why wait decades for VR when you have a natural equivelent that will never be matched in realism, plus is both free and natural.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll often realize that i'm dreaming and have the ability to wake myself up whenever i want, but i've never actually tried controlling a dream. Maybe i should try that next time, sounds interesting.

Well, its happened to me twice. I noticed inside my dream. One time i was constantly snapping my fingers IRL and then one time when i went to snap, my fingers phased through each other. BAM, lucid dream begins. Another time,i looked in the mirror and saw nothing, and BAM, lucid dream.

I heard looking in a mirror is a bad idea, since your image might be horribly disfigured and that stuff.

I have never had a lucid dream myself. I tried to have them, but it didn't work. Guess I wasn't patient enough..

I once had a lucid dream within a dream once. It involved me getting out of the shower and looking into the bathroom mirror, only to look directly at a gruesome-looking girl in a dress with a bloody face and black eyes...

I actually was able to lucid dream once. It is quite interesting.

I like creativity in my dreams, so I simply just start by creating a cube in my dream, then I just create different objects from there.

It sometimes helps you in the creative or even in the inventive process.

Lucid dreaming is an extremely difficult skill to learn, and more difficult still to master. I found myself seeking to learn it primarily to end the constant plague of nightmares that I used to suffer up until about six years ago or so. Nearly every night was awful and miserable in one way or another, but once I began to learn how to control my dreams, I was able to banish them entirely.

By far the most important element is learning how to remember your dreams in great detail. This key skill is crucial if you want to succeed at lucid dreaming, for a variety of reasons. First, it provides a general benefit in the form of educating you. You can look at your dreams, attempt analysis, and enjoy them...not much point to lucid dreaming if you can't remember them after all, right? Secondly, it allows you start recognizing signs that you're dreaming. For example, one of the best ways to tell if you're dreaming or not is to read a line of text. Re-read it three times. If it changes, you're dreaming. If it doesn't change after three times, there's a 99% chance you're not dreaming. There are also plenty of other signs, but most of them tend to be specific to the person. Dream recall will take a long time to master on its own depending upon how good your memory is. (This, incidentally, is why I am able to post such lengthy posts in the Pony Dream thread, because my memory of my own dreams is just that good. It took me months to get to that level of effortless recall.)

Once you're able to recall your dreams, you can proceed to the next step of attempting to recognize you're dreaming. As I said, this generally involves you recognizing one sign or another, something like a change in text, or an appearance of the moon at high noon, or, say, a flaming purple cat that bursts out of nowhere, something ridiculous like that. This is extremely difficult. Often when you recognize you're dreaming you'll either wake yourself up or you'll be distracted so fast and drawn back into the dream that it won't have made a difference. I recommend researching this particular aspect deeper on the internet, as there are reputable sources that can help you with this. (They're difficult to find, however...if I can find the old source I used, I'll link you.)

When you can recognize you're dreaming, you then have to take control. That is the hardest thing to do yet. I often fail at this myself, and when I do gain control most of the time I can only steer my dreams in general directions. For instance, I could desire to dream about ponies, but what form that dream takes could be anything from the ponies appearing as invisible-except-their-hair pets that are skittish as all get out, to a romantic candlelit dinner with Twilight Sparkle, to all kinds of weird things. It depends upon what my mind comes up with, really.

As Klopp says, there's a difference between lucid dreaming and actually controlling your dreams. Lucid dreaming itself is just being aware you're dreaming, and it's a skill I would recommend to just about everyone because it's really fascinating what it can do for you. If like me you're constantly suffering nightmares, it can help you deal with them and get rid of them, because it's surprisingly simple to banish the specters when you know they're not real. I think I've had maybe one nightmare in the last six years total, when I'd had nightmares almost every night prior to that.

You can be concuss, remember, and control your dreams? I am so jelly of you. I can't control or remember my dreams at all. I've never been concuss in a dream, I think. The last dream I had was around a year ago.

I really wish I could dream like that. Even if it was a nightmare, I'd want it.

(edited)

I've been trying on and off for a couple years. My last dedicated "streak," so to speak, has lasted four months now and is still going on. I'm not giving up this time.

I now remember one or two dreams every night, and I've gotten into the habit of attempting a WILD every time I go to bed, a DEILD every time I wake up (when I don't have somewhere I ned to be, that is) and increasing my awareness of if I'm in a dream or not whenever I'm awake. I've had a handful of times when I've been aware that I'm in a dream, but I've always been too excited to keep the dream stable.

Probably the most helpful thing I've learned to do is waking without opening my eyes. It's tough to remember to do this, but it's well worth it as you will be able to remember your dreams better and, if you're lucky, re-enter the dream state without losing conscientiousness.

Edited by Electric Pony Joe

Ever since childhood I've always used sleep as an escape from reality. I never really knew what a lucid dream was when I was little let alone even the name, but I trained myself to be able to. Every time I fall asleep and end up in a dream I always have an indicator, more of a pass phrase that would tell me i'm in a dream. Ever since I've had lucid dreams, they don't effect me as much as they used to when I was little(I'd sometimes sleep at great lengths, sometimes the whole weekend), but now it's more of a second life for me, I don't want to go into detail what I dream, but it's like this, When I wake up here It's when I fall asleep in my dream and vice versa. Once in a great while it's hard for me to realize the difference between both worlds but the feeling only lasts an hour or two. I enjoy it a lot actually, I can be what ever I want to be and do what I want in my dreams, why just last night I was leading an expedition just outside the milky way galaxy in search of undiscovered elements and mineral deposits :) so yeah very much so fun.

I only had a lucid dream once. And guess what was the first thing I tried to do when I realized that I was in a dream and that I could do virtually anything I wanted.

That's right, I decided to try to wake myself up, just to see if it'd work.

Well it sure did work.. and I never had another lucid dream after that -_-

You can be concuss, remember, and control your dreams? I am so jelly of you. I can't control or remember my dreams at all. I've never been concuss in a dream, I think. The last dream I had was around a year ago.

I really wish I could dream like that. Even if it was a nightmare, I'd want it.

Well, I instructed you fairly well in how to go about at least starting the process in the post you quoted. As I said there, by far the most important aspect is remembering your dreams. Keep a dream diary by your bed--as soon as you wake up, write down anything and everything that comes to mind. It'll take a while, but you'll eventually recall more and more.

Well, I instructed you fairly well in how to go about at least starting the process in the post you quoted. As I said there, by far the most important aspect is remembering your dreams. Keep a dream diary by your bed--as soon as you wake up, write down anything and everything that comes to mind. It'll take a while, but you'll eventually recall more and more.

eeyup.

ty.

• Brohoof 1

Woooo I finally did it! After a few months of trying different techniques I finally had a lucid dream. It was weird, I was dreaming but I was still somewhat aware of myself lying in bed. I didn't have complete control, it took a massive force of will to change anything and I was also trying to cling on to the dream and not wake up fully. It only lasted a few minutes but it was pretty sweet and I hope it happens again.

I'd been trying to learn how to do this, but I recently kinda gave up. I think I'll wait till summer break to even try to learn. I just have so much crap going on right now that I can't really do anything relating to lucid dreams... then again I am on spring break. I think I'll continue learning. :P

I just hate that everypony else seem to LD with complete ease, as if it comes naturally, and I have to work at it for months, build up dream recall, keep journals, do reality checks, and only get a tiny hint of lucidity.

I gave up a while back, if I'm honest. But I might pick up my oneironaut "training" during the summer. Pfft.

There are some awesome LD guides and books, but all they are in Russian.

I had some short lucid dreams recently, but they all were very short. I have a big problem with holding myself in-dream. There is one of reasons, why I have a weak motivation for lucid dreaming and it often calls laziness.

What approaches do you use, bronies? Maybe, I can advise you better ones :)

I can get to the point where I realize that I'm dreaming, but every timeI get to that point my brain ragequits on me and I wake up...

(edited)

I can get to the point where I realize that I'm dreaming, but every timeI get to that point my brain ragequits on me and I wake up...

Hmm, try to palpate everything around you, as soon as you realize that you are dreaming. It is a very powerful method to hold yourself in a dream. Edited by Todash

(edited)

I see a lot of replies which makes me smile :)

But a couple of nights ago I managed to realize I was dreaming and I went along with it.

All tho I had no control it was quite enjoyable seeing all the random things.

I'm gonna have to start practicing soon!

Edited by TheBrokenToast

Every dream I have is lucid.

I use to think that is how everypony dreamed,

then when I found out it was something 'special'

I was confused,

how boring your dreams must be x) ~

I seriously hate you...

I wish I could lucid dream so badly, and I've hardly ever been able to.