Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever had a lucid dream?  

167 users have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a lucid dream?

• Yes
    • No

As of late, I be getting back to my practice of lucid dreaming and I am running into a number of issues.  But I will focus one issue for now.

I keep having this same dream over and over again for the last few weeks.  I would walk into a bathroom and look into the mirror.  I would see myself but get scared....a lot.  I would see myself, but disfigured in a horrible way.  Or I would see myself without eyes and look like a creepypasta like (whatever you call it) where you would have just DARK BLACK with no eyes that look like they are vibrating.  I would get scared and then wake up.  

What do you think this means?  

I can become lucid and aware pretty good now.  Now I am trying to take better control of my dreams. However this one, or anything involving a mirror, I get scared to death when I look into the mirror.  Sometimes, when I become lucid just in time,  I would purposely look at the mirror and try to LAUGH at myself and point at the mirror.  It helps a lot, but I end up waking up anyway.  What do you think this means and how else would I "defeat" this?

I can go on an talk about my other lucid dreaming issues, but this one stands out the most. I guess a good place to start is what would this mean? Why does it happen often as of late?

• 4 months later...

I just woke up from a lucid dream/nightmare combo.  I knew I was dreaming and wanted to wake up but could not for a very long time. The nightmare part was the terror I felt.  I kept "waking up" to what I thought was reality(but was just more dream). Well, there was one other nightmare aspect: kittens on fire.  But it was in a made-up movie so I knew it was fake.

There were lots of nice things in it: Disney World, visiting India, seeing my deceased cat like she was in her prime, dancing, drums, a mansion, I got to wear a beautiful dress, hot guys that were into me, sexy times with said guys, scuba diving, movies I had never seen (that don't actually exist), superpowers, interior redecorating.  Also, everything was so realistic and detailed.  I remember looking in the mirror and I could see everything like in real life: from my pores to the blood vessels in my eyes.

In the end I was in a bathroom spinning around with a huge headache and screaming at myself to wake up.  When I woke up for real I was tired and almost went back to sleep.  But I remembered how hard I fought to escape and I couldn't betray myself like that.

Lucid dreams are terrifying for me, because my mind is predisposed to worrying, so as soon as I realize it's a dream I think of all the bad things that could happen, almost by reflex, and then they do happen.

I just woke up from a lucid dream/nightmare combo.  I knew I was dreaming and wanted to wake up but could not for a very long time. The nightmare part was the terror I felt.  I kept "waking up" to what I thought was reality(but was just more dream). Well, there was one other nightmare aspect: kittens on fire.  But it was in a made-up movie so I knew it was fake.

There were lots of nice things in it: Disney World, visiting India, seeing my deceased cat like she was in her prime, dancing, drums, a mansion, I got to wear a beautiful dress, hot guys that were into me, sexy times with said guys, scuba diving, movies I had never seen (that don't actually exist), superpowers, interior redecorating.  Also, everything was so realistic and detailed.  I remember looking in the mirror and I could see everything like in real life: from my pores to the blood vessels in my eyes.

In the end I was in a bathroom spinning around with a huge headache and screaming at myself to wake up.  When I woke up for real I was tired and almost went back to sleep.  But I remembered how hard I fought to escape and I couldn't betray myself like that.

I believe that is called a "false awakening" Dream.  I had those before, but over something so silly, but it would involve me running to the bathroom and trying to find one, cause I had to go very bad.  Then I wake up and realize I ACTULLY really need to go now. LOL

I've only had about three lucid dreams throughout my life, the latest being last November.

My latest lucid dream involved me running around and flying in the air. It felt amazing!

How I got into my last dream, I don't know. One moment, I was awake, then in another, I was in the dream.

In my last lucid dream, I was able to extend the length of the dream by spinning around.

I've never been able to figure out how to do it reliably, even though I researched on how to trigger them.

• 3 weeks later...
Back in 2013 I was originally going to post my dream stuff here but I ended up posting it all in a blog. Now that I have been gone for a year or two, I should probably just post it here.

I've horrible Nightmares and night terrors. I usually remember them because its a crappy reoccuring one where I'm running down the stairs and I can't get out of my front door. I get this feeling that someone is slowly walking up behind me, but I'm too scared to look. They keep pressing their hands against my shoulder and face and it really gets to me even after I wake up. 

For some reason something happens which has never before. This pony just opens the door I''m trying to get out of, then basically blows away the nightmare. You know like when you blow air into a cloud of smoke and it just fades away. The whole house sort of fades away and I'm just sitting in space. I wake up shortly after. I didn't WILD or anything because I wanted to write it down so badly. This pony was my hero, destroyer of nightmares. I've been trying to incorporate her into all my lucid dreams, sometimes it works, sometimes I just get too excited and wake up.

The next dream with her I sort of had started off as a nightmare. I remember being in space and hurdling towards some red-ish molten planet, then orbiting it. I have a bit of astrophobia, so I get dreams where i can't change directions and stuff in space pretty often. Suddenly i'm in a room that's in the center of the planet. I wasn't sure how I realized it, but in dreams you know stuff for no reason. I'm sitting in the corner and there are about a dozen shadowy figures. Every time I'd think of them they'd turn and face me like they could read my mind. Suddenly, my dream pony bursts through the wall. There is no sound but everything goes zero gravity. She just pushes her hoof out and it makes a shock wave that just makes the shadows dissipate, which I think came from DIablo (PC Game) or something. She looked so heroic and brave. 

Last I remember I'm in a space station thing with a grassy field. 

Her first words are like gibberish, and I have no idea what she said. '

"You're dreaming, stay with it"

I suddenly become Lucid and she smiles. I can't even describe it. I'm standing in front of this little orange pony that saves me from nightmares. I hug her tight and lift her off the ground. She felt sort of warm, proof my dreams are cheesy. Lasted about 15ish seconds before gravity became heavy and I dropped her. 

I have some questions, but I forgot most of them, so I just ask anything I could think of. I ask what she was, but when she was half way through answering I faded away and woke up. I tried to do WILD to get back into lucid dreaming but I was too excited.

JPZhS6L.jpg

As of late, I be getting back to my practice of lucid dreaming and I am running into a number of issues.  But I will focus one issue for now.

I keep having this same dream over and over again for the last few weeks.  I would walk into a bathroom and look into the mirror.  I would see myself but get scared....a lot.  I would see myself, but disfigured in a horrible way.  Or I would see myself without eyes and look like a creepypasta like (whatever you call it) where you would have just DARK BLACK with no eyes that look like they are vibrating.  I would get scared and then wake up.  

What do you think this means?  

I can become lucid and aware pretty good now.  Now I am trying to take better control of my dreams. However this one, or anything involving a mirror, I get scared to death when I look into the mirror.  Sometimes, when I become lucid just in time,  I would purposely look at the mirror and try to LAUGH at myself and point at the mirror.  It helps a lot, but I end up waking up anyway.  What do you think this means and how else would I "defeat" this?

I can go on an talk about my other lucid dreaming issues, but this one stands out the most. I guess a good place to start is what would this mean? Why does it happen often as of late?

Mirrors are one of those things that just don't combo well with dreams. Pretty much every dream involving a mirror turned into a nightmare. All you need to remember is that its all a dream and that nothing can actually hurt you. I tend to think of some cartoon characters when I need to stray away from nightmares, they usually just appear and remind me that none of this is actually real.

I've only had about three lucid dreams throughout my life, the latest being last November.

My latest lucid dream involved me running around and flying in the air. It felt amazing!

How I got into my last dream, I don't know. One moment, I was awake, then in another, I was in the dream.

In my last lucid dream, I was able to extend the length of the dream by spinning around.

I've never been able to figure out how to do it reliably, even though I researched on how to trigger them.

Triggering Lucid dreams is pretty inconsistent, but when you start doing it more, it becomes more common. Practice looking at your hands every so often in real life, and you may do it as a reflex in a dream. When you notice an oddity, you'll realize your lucidity. 

I eventually named her Haven, mostly because she was like a Safe Haven from my nightmares. I've used the username RogueHaven for awhile now, that's the reason why.

I think mid-april I had another dream. I was sitting on a blue water lily pad, one with tables and chairs and an outdoor cafe. I become lucid and sort of 'call' Haven, being the cheesy man I am I sort of shout her name and lift my arm up into the air. She rises from the water and floats next to me, replying with a simple anti-climactic "Yes?"

I ask "How long?" meaning how long I have in the dream

"A minute"

I ask her the few questions I can remember. "What are you" I ask

"I think I'm a nightmare." Her voice sounds telekinetic, like shes not actually speaking, but I can hear her. I got a bit scared because I thought it would involuntarily turn into a nightmare, but nothing sort of happened. She just stared at me. "Aren't you just part of my mind, why aren't you like the other Nightmare?" I ask. She just smiles

"I was a nightmare, I just want to protect you, squishy."

I remember a clanging/static noise before I work up. I had a dream straight after, but it was unrelated. 

In November 2014 I had another. It started in the shower in one of the houses I had when I was 8. It had a huge window in the front with no curtains, so at night it terrified me. I do a reality check and look at my hands and notice 7 fingers. I regain my lucidity and Haven sort of appears in front of me, no flash or anything. "Hey, do you ever sleep?"

"I slept a good while, but seeing you is always my dream. Dreams are unpredictable. Don't you worry, I would never let you hurt me"

She was alot smaller in this dream, and she moved sort of like the Ghosts in Thir13en. A bit unsettling but not scary. Don't want to give an example, the actual scene is really gorey.

She came closer and put her arms over my shoulders, like a hug. Then it suddenly ended

I haven't had any other dreams of her since. I haven't really had any other dreams of her either. I'll most likely put some artwork of her in my profile if you want some. I can't do art like I used to before, so I haven't done stuff recently. Will most likely request stuff later though. 

Thanks to Lockerobster for the pencil sketches

post-12971-0-52030300-1428284540.png

post-12971-0-03562200-1428284568_thumb.jpg

post-12971-0-21992400-1428284603_thumb.jpg

post-12971-0-40221500-1428284634_thumb.png

If you have any questions, go ahead and quote me or message me personally. I'll try to answer questions and give advice as best as I can.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I used to have A LOT of nightmares, like every single night i would wake up sweaty and my heart pouding, nightmares like aliens and stuff chasing me "my legs was always super tired so i could not run "  then I figured out how to add weapons and the monsters left me alone when I started venturing into my dreams with automatic rifles and shotguns LOL I love the energy plasma weapons the most though 'like on men in black"  the aliens and monsters left me alone after I shot them all LOL

I think i had a helicopter with a door mounted machine gun once to  :sneer:

Edited by simba86

Does anyone know how to start lucid dreaming if you rarely dream?

Everyone dreams, frequently. It's just a matter of whether you remember these dreams. 1 The first step is to bring these dreams to your memory. The most common advice I've seen given for this is to keep a "dream journal" and to record even the most impertinent information each morning so that you will recall more and more of your dreams as time progresses. The problem is that this can actually take significant effort and not everyone has the right schedule to for this kind of thing.

If you're very ambitious, you can try waking yourself during a REM cycle and you will most definitely remember some dream, assuming that 1.) you are not on a strict schedule and 2.) you don't immediately smash your snooze button, which is usually what happens to me.

I've seen a lot of people recommend WILDS (Wake-induced lucid dreams) for those who have problems with remembering their dreams normally, but I personally don't advocate this advice as WILDS have a history of causing hallucinations and sleep paralysis, which could very easily scare someone away from the enjoyable and fulfilling experience that comes with lucid dreaming.

Here's some relatively reliable advice that I've found:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/sleep/dreams/5-tricks-for-remembering-dreams.htm#page=0

http://www.lucidity.com/NL11.DreamRecall.html

You could also read up on some of Dr. Stephen LaBerges' stuff, if you're interested.

1. http://psychcentral.com/lib/9-common-questions-about-dreams-answered/0007820

I've attempted it several times, but when I realize that I have control, I think I get overwhelmed then wake up. Kind of a bummer, if you ask me.  -_-

I've only ever had a lucid dream once, in fact, having a dream at all is a surprise to me. Last night I had my first nightmare in about 3 years, but I should get back on topic.

Lucid dreaming to me felt both surreal yet familiar. I felt like myself in my own body, aside from a dark veil around my vision but that's common. 

I thought of some stuff and it came out of nowhere. The whole world did my bidding. It was fantastic. Everything seemed so clear. 

I just wish I dreamed more often, nightmares included. It's so boring having only a couple seconds of black before I wake up in the morning. I'm not too concerned about the lucid bit, I have my overactive imagination to compensate for that.

Everyone dreams, frequently. It's just a matter of whether you remember these dreams. 1 The first step is to bring these dreams to your memory. The most common advice I've seen given for this is to keep a "dream journal" and to record even the most impertinent information each morning so that you will recall more and more of your dreams as time progresses. The problem is that this can actually take significant effort and not everyone has the right schedule to for this kind of thing.

If you're very ambitious, you can try waking yourself during a REM cycle and you will most definitely remember some dream, assuming that 1.) you are not on a strict schedule and 2.) you don't immediately smash your snooze button, which is usually what happens to me.

I've seen a lot of people recommend WILDS (Wake-induced lucid dreams) for those who have problems with remembering their dreams normally, but I personally don't advocate this advice as WILDS have a history of causing hallucinations and sleep paralysis, which could very easily scare someone away from the enjoyable and fulfilling experience that comes with lucid dreaming.

Here's some relatively reliable advice that I've found:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/sleep/dreams/5-tricks-for-remembering-dreams.htm#page=0

http://www.lucidity.com/NL11.DreamRecall.html

You could also read up on some of Dr. Stephen LaBerges' stuff, if you're interested.

1. http://psychcentral.com/lib/9-common-questions-about-dreams-answered/0007820

Thanks! I've only had about two lucid dreams in my life. I still remember what flying felt like.

• Brohoof 1

I use to lucid dream every week back in november/december but for w/e reason I just decided to stop doing my dream journal and I've only had like 3 since then. BUT one was last night! And it was like the best one.

I was coming into this building (non lucid at the time) and noticed I was missing my pants, only shirt and underwear, it was a HUGE hotel-like lobby, the ceiling was quite high and the check in counter was in the middle, surrounded by roman like pillars. I covered myself then thought "Wait a second... this can't be real". I didn't even bother to reality check like I usually do, and just tried flying to see if it would work. I concentrated REALLY hard and knew I could do it, and I did, but for some reason I could never maintain it.

When I fell back to the ground I looked around and made everything super clear so that I was at a high state of lucidity and so the dream would last and I had more control. I saw a black dude with dreads sitting in a white rocking chair, and he was wearing white, and I decided to ask him for real life advice. (it's a bit personal so I won't post our conversation) but he gave some legit answers (it's basically me talking to my subconscious, I knew this, but I wanted to make sure my subconscious was on board and I had not an inch of doubt in myself). I then went to the other side of the lobby and into a hallway and in one room was a kitchen and my mom and dad where in there. I said hi to them, and they seemed a bit odd. Like for example I said "hmm" and my mom was like "WHAT!?!?". 

I then went back out into the lobby, to the other side where I previously was and tried summoning a girl so I could practice talking to them (sounds lame but don't judge me!) but it didn't work, so I went outside to this pool area, and there were awesome mountains in the distance. I wanted to fly away, but couldn't, so I tried to spin to another location, but that didn't work either. Then I just remember my vision "dissolving" and I was now looking up at my ceiling fan in the real world.

Every now and then. I think it's more of a living flashback for me, where I will be on patrol or something, and it always starts with us taking fire. For some reason, I'll look to my right and I'll see someone I know in the current time frame in my dream, and realize it's a dream. Then thats when things start going wierd, it's like my brain fights me controlling it. 

The real scary dreams are the ones I don't remember but I wake up in a pool of sweat.

I've attempted it several times, but when I realize that I have control, I think I get overwhelmed then wake up. Kind of a bummer, if you ask me.  -_-

That's a common problem actually. The most important step is to remain calm, and it can also help to close your "eyes" and reaffirm that you are still in a dream. This can stabilize the dream setting when you open your dream eyes again.

That's a common problem actually. The most important step is to remain calm, and it can also help to close your "eyes" and reaffirm that you are still in a dream. This can stabilize the dream setting when you open your dream eyes again.

The worst part about myself lucid dreaming is I'll usually wake up at the good part, whatever that may be, haha.

• Brohoof 1

Is it weird that in a dream if I close my eyes I wake up?

So when I'm finally lucid dreaming, I'm trying not to blink, and since I'm concentrating so hard on that (you shouldn't concentrate very hard on anything, in my experience), I wake up anyway :(.

So when I'm finally lucid dreaming, I'm trying not to blink, and since I'm concentrating so hard on that (you shouldn't concentrate very hard on anything, in my experience), I wake up anyway :(.

I don't know how common it is, but it has actually happened several times to me as well. It usually helps a little bit to remind yourself, periodically, that you are dreaming. It might also help to concentrate less on your eyes and more on making the scenery more vivid.

I heard concentration was good, like if it's very foggy and you concentrate on clearing up the dream it'll stabilize you better.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the power of suggestion. Whatever you believe, in the dream world it is LAW.

I don't know how common it is, but it has actually happened several times to me as well. It usually helps a little bit to remind yourself, periodically, that you are dreaming. It might also help to concentrate less on your eyes and more on making the scenery more vivid.

Yeah this, I've fallen out of lucidity quite a few times. Either the dream ends very abruptly (I'm suddenly just in waking life looking at my ceiling-yes I check for false awakenings) or I forget I'm in a dream and slip out of lucidity. 

• Brohoof 1

It's really rare that anyone's lucid dream lasts that long because you get excited all the time. Think about it... You have unlimited power over your own world and can do what you want so think of all that excitement and then you get sad because you then wake up after trying to fly or something. The only way someone could last a whole night in a lucid dream is to not get excited about it but i don't even think that's possible without getting used to it and mastering lucid dreams to the point that you have one every night.

I also think lucid dreams are not really a good thing to tell the truth. Just think about it... Would you either want to live in a world where you work 24/7 and are mainly under stress most of the time and have limited control over anything you can do or a world where you are God!, can do anything you want and nothing can stop you. I don't think many people would want to come out of that lucid dream and once they do they might even get depressed because they release they have to go back into the real world. I imagine myself being like that if i had lucid dreams a lot since why would i want to leave... I could have my own Fluttershy pet or even become Fluttershy.

Also what if that lucid dream became a nightmare? A Lucid Nightmare

Also i just have to mention this for unknown reasons but i BET a lot of people just want to have sex in their lucid dream XD :P

Edited by Code