Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever had a lucid dream?  

167 users have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a lucid dream?

• Yes
    • No

I don't know how I did... It just happened.

And this one involved me meeting Fluttershy for some reason. I don't know how or why, but she hugged me and didn't let go for the entire dream.

The closest I had to a lucid dream was one where I didn't actually know I was dreaming, but I knew I could make anything I wanted to happen. I had a big party with all my friends and a bunch of random people and we all played a live action version of Angry Birds. A bunch of other stuff happened, but it was a while ago so I forget.

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to learn how to have lucid dreams. I hope I accomplish this because I know now it is possible. I'm super excited about the possibility of being able to do so. I imagine myself going on amazing "adventures." Currently I hate sleep and find it a bit of a creepy subject but this may even help that. Wish me luck! :D

I get my lucid dreams without even trying. I must have had about thirty of them. Most of the time, though, I don't take advantage of the situation - I just acknowledge that the event I'm experiencing isn't real, and then get on with things. Sometimes I'm able to, though, and promptly cause a load of mischief like trashing my school or flying above the city. I remember once getting a lucid dream in a waterfall-like environment, and absolutely relished the ability to fly.

I still think I might learn how to get them more frequently - they are kinda unappreciated. n.n

Every dream I have is lucid.

I use to think that is how everypony dreamed,

then when I found out it was something 'special'

I was confused,

how boring your dreams must be x) ~

I'm like this too. Whenever I dream, it is usually lucid. Recently though, I've been dreaming normally (all of them have been really weird). I think my subconscious may be trying to tell me something  :huh:

I really need to get back into lucid dreaming.

Most of the dreams I have aren't lucid, but at the same time they are extremely long and vivid. I get insane time-dilation when I dream, sometimes - from what I could figure - on the order of 10 minutes real-time : 1-2 days dream-time. It's gotten even more common since I've started taking this supplement for strength-training, and one of the side-effects is deeper sleep and more vivid dreams. Some mornings, especially when I am hitting "snooze" a lot, and I keep getting those short sleeps with really vivid dreams, it feels like I've lived up to a week sometimes, in only the span of an hour.

All time I could be spending in Equestria. Hell, if I do things right I could probably live a double-life as a pony in my dreams.

Well, dreams I had. I've been staying up late and getting up late a lot lately, and my sleep cycle isn't mixing with my circadian rhythm well, so I've been having a lot deeper of sleep yet at the same time my dreams are a lot more fleeting. I know they are still extremely long and vivid, from the sense I get when I wake up, it's just that I can't remember them much.

• Brohoof 1

I really need to get back into lucid dreaming.

Most of the dreams I have aren't lucid, but at the same time they are extremely long and vivid. I get insane time-dilation when I dream, sometimes - from what I could figure - on the order of 10 minutes real-time : 1-2 days dream-time. It's gotten even more common since I've started taking this supplement for strength-training, and one of the side-effects is deeper sleep and more vivid dreams. Some mornings, especially when I am hitting "snooze" a lot, and I keep getting those short sleeps with really vivid dreams, it feels like I've lived up to a week sometimes, in only the span of an hour.

All time I could be spending in Equestria. Hell, if I do things right I could probably live a double-life as a pony in my dreams.

Well, dreams I had. I've been staying up late and getting up late a lot lately, and my sleep cycle isn't mixing with my circadian rhythm well, so I've been having a lot deeper of sleep yet at the same time my dreams are a lot more fleeting. I know they are still extremely long and vivid, from the sense I get when I wake up, it's just that I can't remember them much.

That's an awesome idea maybe if I become good at lucid dreaming I could test that out XD I could think of a few 

"extra lives" I would like to try out :)

I've only ever had three lucid dreams in my life, and two of them were just two nights ago. First one was years back, and I don't remember anything about it except the moment in which I realized I was dreaming, which was pretty damn cool on its own.

Two nights ago, I realized I was dreaming...and instantly woke up.:/ But after going back to sleep, it happened again. I tried not to freak out about it this time, and was fairly successful in doing so. Still, this only lasted for a few seconds before I woke up: expect, I didn't really "wake up" in the normal fashion. It was like my dream was fading away as the real world was coming back into view. You know, like how some animated shows change scenes? (That's the best way I know how to explain it, anyway.)

And now it'll probably be years to come before it happens again. :(

Sometimes saying: "I will lucid dream" to yourself will work, but sometimes causes sleep paralysis which is terrifying. As far as I'm aware, it can cause hallucinations, such as a monster holding you down. Can't tell you from experience. Never happened to me. Don't pinch yourself in a lucid dream, is all I can say.

Edited by flimflam

One time, I was at a recognisible place in my dream, so I tried to summon a helicopter! The problem with lucid dream, to me, is that I woke up fairly swiftly.

Oh well, at least I did it!

EDIT: Is there anyone who cannot wake from their own dream from free-will?

Edited by Faceless

Back when I was in high school and university I would experiment with lucid dreaming, self-hypnosis, and other similar stuff. I was never that successful about it, but I had a lot of hang-ups at the time around mental illness due to family history. So basically I prevented myself from being successful at them, re-enforcing my hang-ups. Recently I've become curious about it again (and other things related to it), but I don't know if I'll really try for any of it now.

I've only ever had three lucid dreams in my life, and two of them were just two nights ago. First one was years back, and I don't remember anything about it except the moment in which I realized I was dreaming, which was pretty damn cool on its own.

Two nights ago, I realized I was dreaming...and instantly woke up.:/ But after going back to sleep, it happened again. I tried not to freak out about it this time, and was fairly successful in doing so. Still, this only lasted for a few seconds before I woke up: expect, I didn't really "wake up" in the normal fashion. It was like my dream was fading away as the real world was coming back into view. You know, like how some animated shows change scenes? (That's the best way I know how to explain it, anyway.)

And now it'll probably be years to come before it happens again. :(

If you want to, and have the time to do so you can try to teach yourself how to lucid dream. I'm trying right now so far i've only tried one night. You can look up how to make yourself lucid dream and here is a video about it. The only thing I'm worried about is sleep paralisys but whatever :) 

I'm really happy because I just had my first lucid dream! sadly all I can remember something was happening and I was like this isn't possible... I'm in a dream. Then I got really excited and it seemed like the world was fading away. I assumed it was I was waking u because I was excited like I heard about so I calmed down and that's all I remember. Maybe I dreamed I was having a lucid dream but I doubt it and hope not. I'm still trying to have a good one though :)

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I've been reading about lucid dreams and how you can take almost full control over them and do things physically not possible such as flying or being a pony (maybe). It sounds like a lot of fun and good motivation for getting to sleep earlier. I'm always staying up late lol.

I was wondering if any of you have tried lucid dreaming, and if so how successful were you at it? Also do you have any tips on how to become a good lucid dreamer?

EDIT: Sorry forgot to search for existing threads

Edited by Sam

I too have also a few weeks ago become very interested in lucid dreaming. I have had 2 lucid dreams I can remember but after realizing I was dreaming I dont remember anything else. Here is what you have to do keep a dream journal even write something down when you can't remember last nights dream so you can stay in the habit. Do reality checks at least 10 times a day while asking yourself "Am I dreaming?" and there are plenty of websites and videos that tell more. Good luck :D

I too have also a few weeks ago become very interested in lucid dreaming. I have had 2 lucid dreams I can remember but after realizing I was dreaming I dont remember anything else. Here is what you have to do keep a dream journal even write something down when you can't remember last nights dream so you can stay in the habit. Do reality checks at least 10 times a day while asking yourself "Am I dreaming?" and there are plenty of websites and videos that tell more. Good luck :D

Thanks, I'll certainly keep a book by my bedside from now on. Also I just did a bit of reading of the reality check side of things. Seems a digital watch is a good way to check if you're dreaming since aparently electronics don't work as well in dreams.

I am cheap and lazy so I use the Nove Dreamer. It's basically a device that emits a beep that just slightly increases your awareness to help you Lucid Dream. So far it's worked for me.

Cheater :P

Only kidding. I have a keen interest with electronics, and I had the idea of detecting the dream by measuring signals from my brain, then using that to start playing some audio. That could possibly serve as a stimulus to direct the dream in a particular direction.

I'm probably talking rubbish, but it's something to think about.

I lucid dream every once in a while.  Probably just as much as any other normal person (normal being those who haven't tried to learn how to do it).

The problem with me, though, is that my dreams *always* obey the laws of physics.  There can always be a freaky turn of events that would seem unrealistic, but no wall bending for me.  As such, all my attempts at controlling a lucid dream end in failure because my dreams are so realistic.

Props to you guys who can control it the way you want.

I Lucid dream all the time (I think my record is 7 times in one day, if I remember right). I love them, and they can act as euphoric triggers/amplifiers for me. My name, if anyone is curious, essentially refers to Dream Magic. I will say that I will get sleep paralysis, but it is totally worth it. I recall a time when I was in a SP during school and began hallucinating (or something similar), it was awesome.

I plan to learn how to lucid dream. One of my friends from school is very good at it. In fact, he told me that he was even able to time dilate his lucid dreams, which, from what I have read, is very difficult to do, to the point where he was able to live a lifetime in Equestria every night. However, he couldn't remember most of his lucid dreams. He was just aware of the amount of time they spanned, and remembered a very small number of things about them. I don't know whether or not he still does this, I'll have to ask him.

This page links to a lot of great information about lucid dreaming: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/lucid-dreaming-techniques.html

I haven't had a lucid dream in over a month, but this morning I gave WILD's another go and had my best success so far with that technique!

The most difficult part about it, for me, is not getting too nervous or excited as I fall into sleep paralysis, which causes my heart rate to go up and subsequently keeps me awake.  However, once I'm able to get into a half-asleep state, I can sort of roll out of my body and into a dream version of my room.  It's rather awesome.

I didn't do much besides some levitation and focusing in order to keep the dream stable, but I'm now inspired to keep at it until I can do it regularly.

I actually first Lucid dreamed on accident while trying to have an out of body experience.  I've been trying on occasion to have OBE's for more than 20 years.  When learning about Lucid Dreaming I realized that I had more or less done that already.  Now I still have never had what I would consider to be an OBE but others have told me that Lucid dreaming and OBE's are pretty much the same thing.     I've mostly given up on the OBE's but when I attempt Lucid dreaming I am as often as not succesful.  I have not had any success in controlling them though.

I've noticed that there are two possible sleep situations that are a good time to attempt Lucid dreaming.  The first is if you are not tired but you need to get to sleep anyway because you have to be up at a certain time or whatever.  In this situation you lie perfectly still on your back and keep your eyes closed.  No matter how you feel do not move after you have found a comfortable position, thought don't mind too much the possible muscle twitch.  In this situation you are trying to force yourself to go to sleep.  Since your mind and body are not quite ready for sleep, once it does hit it should be a lucid dream  

The other technique is if you are really really tired but it is earlier than you might normally want to go to sleep.  Once again laying on your back try to keep your body perfectly still and eyes closed but instead of trying to go to sleep, try to stay awake!  (hint:  you are going to fail).  If you manage to keep your mind awake until your body has gone to sleep you should experience Lucid dreaming.

Regardless of the situation two things one critical point is when you start to wake up from that state, if you let your body move or open your eyes then that will be the end of it, but in your semi-awake state if you can manage to continue to keep your body perfectly still and eyes closed then you should go even further into the lucid state.

I've just thought of something about sleep paralysis and nightmares.  I think now that the two are tied in together and nightmares are the result of your mind paniking over your sleep paralysis.  I think getting used to the idea that you cannot control your body when in a sleep state is key to avoiding nightmares.  I haven't had what I would consider a true nightmare in at least 15 years.  I have had bad dreams though.  The bad dreams are always non-lucid and usually have to do with me still being or back in the army or that I started smoking again.  I frequently have dreams of Zombies and these are almost always lucid but never nightmares or bad dreams.  My zombie dreams tend to be more like watching a movie or playing a game.  They are entertaining.  I've never had a lucid dream with ponies.  Last night I used the 2nd technique (I was tired and went to bed early) I had hopped to get a pony lucid dream but instead it was one about Zombies again.

The last two nights I've been starting to recall my dreams. The first night was just one dream before waking up. Last night however I had 3 dreams in total. The first one ended at 3:30am. I decided to try and take advantage of still being sleepy, but annoyingly my legs were just restless. Even when I did try to keep them still they weren't exactly confortable. After about an hour or two I did eventually fall asleep, but no dreams. The next time I woke up was at 9:30am. I decided to give WILD another try, but again to no avail. Finally I woke up at 11:00.

I read up online about the restless legs thing, and aparently one cause is iron deficiency. I have been prescribed iron tablets, although haven't been very good at taking them. I think my problem was I just didn't see then need for them, but I do now.

One good thing that has come out of all of this is motivation to get to bed at a decent time. I was a bit annoyed at noisy housemates, but at least I got to sleep before them instead of after.

• 3 weeks later...

I did think one day to try off luicid dreaming to visit equestria but i couldnt figure out how to do it.

Maybe i should do a little more research about it.

Edited by JeanMich02

I've been able to lucid dream for a long time. I never new it was anything significant til i started seeing it on the internet everywhere. Hell I didn't even know it existed til about 2 years ago. When I dream I usually just kinda focus on something and it happens, but sometimes I just let shit happen cause it's crazy. When I do lucid dream though, I always fly in it. I love the idea of flying and dreaming helps.

The only problem with it is waking up and feeling super disappointed.