Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What comes to mind when you hear "Metal", or "Heavy Metal"?

Omega Centauri

When discussing music someone utters the phrase "Heavy Metal", what is the first thing that comes to mind?

Is it those stereotypical shrieked or growled vocals that are barely audible? Is it the fast, downtuned guitars? Or perhaps it's a few specific bands or a subgenre? Be honest. I want to see what kind of image it has here.

Take your periodic table jokes and GTFO >_>

• Brohoof 1

Now and days, all i hear from this generations is a bunch of pretty boys with these flat and monotone voices, doing these stupid songs about either their crush or no one not loving them.

Basically, garbage and noobs who wouldn't understand the actual concept of making metal, and this is coming from someone who played bass in a metal band in his high school years.

Well, metal is a pretty diverse genre, so I think of pretty much all kinds of metal styles, although I guess the first thing that comes to mind is stuff like Metallica or Megadeth or Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden or something.

• Brohoof 3

Mosh pits. They actually sound fun...

Man, now I want to go to a metal concert! And I don't even like metal!

• Brohoof 1

I think of annoying music the fact I can't understand a single word they are saying and listening to them kill there own voice only time I like this music is when I'm playing a game with zombies but that's only my opinion

When discussing music someone utters the phrase "Heavy Metal", what is the first thing that comes to mind?

Is it those stereotypical shrieked or growled vocals that are barely audible? Is it the fast, downtuned guitars? Or perhaps it's a few specific bands or a subgenre? Be honest. I want to see what kind of image it has here.

Take your periodic table jokes and GTFO >_>

Frankly, the first thing that comes to my mind is HEADACHE.

Admittedly I'm not too familiar with the genre so these will be rather stereotypical but here goes:

It must really hurt the singers' throats. 

Its very loud.

However, I love a group named Mägo De Oz who are apparently categorised under 'Metal' and they contradict both of my assumptions. :)

(edited)

It makes me think of the animated movie. Never seen it? It's aight.

I also feel like some people here are mistaking heavy metal for black metal. HUUUUGE difference. I LOVE black metal, personally. Not the biggest fan of heavy metal....but I do have a certain love for Slayer. :3

Edited by Ember Twist
  • Brohoof 1

Real music that speaks of the brutal reality that is existence.  The detailed imagery in the lyrics, the speed of the instruments, the voice of pure anger and rage bringing it to the point where vocal damage is likely.  Metal has made others think of me as a guy who someday is going to enter the University and just fire bullets at everyone.  Whenever I need to vent anger and rage and don't have time for the shooting range, some Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Testament music can do the trick.

REAL METAL

186_logo.png?5824

• Brohoof 2

I think of Heavy Metal as a way to cope with anger and stress. My favorite metal band of all time is Slipknot because they have helped my life A LOT! I got hooked to their music since I was twelve and had been a maggot (Slipknot fan) ever since. When I think of Heavy Metal, I think that it depends on how much an artist or a group took care into the song regardless if it ever going to have screaming or singing or whatever, there is always suppose to be care put into the song. Otherwise, it's gonna sound like horse poop in a haystack.

post-27780-0-72514900-1404164341.gif

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Joke but semi-serious answer: Brutal Legend and Jack Black.

Real answer: First thing I think about is Power, Melodic Death and Thrash Metal as the genres I listen to most and a few bands I like to listen to such as Disturbed, Skeletonwitch, Scar Symmetry, Masterplan, Black Majesty, Hammerfall, Amon Amarth...

That's mostly what I think about first. Second comes the fact that my taste in metal is shared by few.

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 4