Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What comes to mind when you hear "Metal", or "Heavy Metal"?

Omega Centauri

Here's what comes to mind.

Heavy Metal:

Metal:

The wannabe emo kids who label themselves with ridiculously stupid things like "post punk pastel goth" 

Or 12 year olds that listen to:

Falling In Reverse

Pierce the Veil

BOTDF

Escape the Fate

Black Veil Brides

Other warped tour crap

The wannabe emo kids who label themselves with ridiculously stupid things like "post punk pastel goth"

Falling In Reverse

Pierce the Veil

BOTDF

Escape the Fate

Black Veil Brides

Other warped tour crap

Ugh...I couldn't agree woth you more. Hearing these so called, "metal bands" just make me wonder how low will our social tolerance for stuff like this will last.
  • Brohoof 2

Ugh...I couldn't agree woth you more. Hearing these so called, "metal bands" just make me wonder how low will our social tolerance for stuff like this will last.

Yeah that's sadly the good side of society. Or at least the other side that isn't full of air headed swag

I guess I should contribute to my own thread.

When I hear Heavy Metal I think of bands that actually fit in that subgenre, like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath

"Metal" is a bit more broad, and when I hear it I think of some of the more hardcore stuff like Obituary, Deicide, and Immortal

Also if you don't listen to metal or just aren't very well versed in the different subgenres, please watch this video

Now you've gotten my attention.

What do I think when I hear heavy metal? Greatest form of music in the world!

What other genre can blend the virtuosity of Classical, the chaotic energy of Jazz, the emotion of Blues and filter it though the distortion of Rock n' Roll?

That vid is me in a nutshell, except w/ longer hair. 

For those of you who don't quite get metal or are looking to explore it further, I recommend the projects by Banger films, specifically by those of metal head turned cultural anthropologist Sam Dunn and his films "Metal: A Headbangers Journey" which describes metals origins and it's place in society."Global Metal" which is how heavy metal interacts w/ cultures outside the western world such as Brazil, China, India, The Middle East, etc. And Finally, the 12 part docu-series "Metal: Evolution" which largely involves an episode focusing on a metal sub-genre based off of Sam's creation: The heavy metal family tree.

Not Thrash. Cannibal corpse is Death Metal. Compare them to Megadeth & Anthrax and you'll see some stark differences.  Sorry, but I'm a stickler for proper sub-genres. 

Glad you both like. If you think Sabaton sound awesome now, you should see how crazy they are live. And you can do that too, this November while they're on tour w/ Amon Amarth & Skeleton Witch. Should be an excellent show.  

Now on a more serious note. People keep vilifying metal as nothing but drugs, spandex, death screams and Satan. That's like saying all of rap is about drugs, bling, made up words and thug life or how all country is about beer, trucks, god, and depression. 

Tons of different types of metal. From glam metal with it's songs of romance and living fast. The brutally fast paced growling of death metal and grindcore, describing murder and death in graphic detail.  You've got Thrash, the dexterous songs about warfare and social violence that were born from metal being crossed w/ American punk and hardcore and started the birth of the mosh pit. You've got Progressive metal, which takes metal and turns it into a complex art piece, via playing it in an increasingly complex way or telling a conceptual narrative in the song. Then there's power metal, which takes European folk music & Classical, merging it w/ heavy metal to make high energy, bombastic singalongs about stories of fantasy and epic battles past. How about Nu-metal, with it's songs about self-loathing, abuse and anger at the world told though the blending of growls, rap vocals, turntables and thick, downtuned guitars. And then there's the two or three dozen other sub-genres I have yet to mention.

I'm fairly certain there's a metal band out there for everyone. 

Now I leave you w/ two very different yet awesome songs from heavy metal:

Meet the masters of goth metal, the late Type O Negative

And a band that helped save heavy metal during the grunge era, Machine Head

\m/ Headbang! \m/

There are so many things right with this post, it's not even funny!

Wait.... Skeleton Witch and Sabaton are with Amon Amarth this fall?  OMG I can't wait.  My mom and I are going to that!

Type O Negative is absolutely fantastic!  So sad I never got to see them.  My parents met Peter Steele and he was one of the nicest people ever.

Machine Head is freaking fantastic!  I've seen them twice, and my parents saw them on Thursday.  Some of the nicest people ever.

I don't blame you on the correction.  Cannibal Corpse is so much different from Anthrax and Megadeth.  It's just getting to the point that I enjoy Cannibal Corpse because my tastes have slowly broadened.

• Brohoof 1

There are so many things right with this post, it's not even funny!

Wait.... Skeleton Witch and Sabaton are with Amon Amarth this fall?  OMG I can't wait.  My mom and I are going to that!

Type O Negative is absolutely fantastic!  So sad I never got to see them.  My parents met Peter Steele and he was one of the nicest people ever.

Machine Head is freaking fantastic!  I've seen them twice, and my parents saw them on Thursday.  Some of the nicest people ever.

I don't blame you on the correction.  Cannibal Corpse is so much different from Anthrax and Megadeth.  It's just getting to the point that I enjoy Cannibal Corpse because my tastes have slowly broadened.

Why thank you.

Hopefully I'll get to go as well. I'll do my damndest to make it. Saw Sabaton back in April when they opened for Iced Earth, and they completely upstaged them. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened here, although Amon Amarth will be a little harder to top. 

You got to meet Pete. Lucky. Gloomy dude, but I keep hearing about how the guy was such a prankster. Go look up the story where he and the band punked their own record label. Also if you like Type O, you'll also enjoy Pete's previous act, Carnivore. Think Type O negative if they played Thrash metal. 

I also got to see MH twice. 1st when they opened for Metallica, second when they toured w/ Darkest Hour & Suicide Silence. At that show, I got to see Suicidals former frontman, the late Mitch Lucker. You should go to the MH site where there's a video of a dude proposing to his girlfriend on stage and Robb gets to decide their nuptials. 

I can relate to tastes broadening.  If I were answering this question 3 or 4 years ago, I wouldn't have any idea what I was talking about. I was nowhere near the metal fan then as I am now. 

Why thank you.

Hopefully I'll get to go as well. I'll do my damndest to make it. Saw Sabaton back in April when they opened for Iced Earth, and they completely upstaged them. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened here, although Amon Amarth will be a little harder to top. 

You got to meet Pete. Lucky. Gloomy dude, but I keep hearing about how the guy was such a prankster. Go look up the story where he and the band punked their own record label. Also if you like Type O, you'll also enjoy Pete's previous act, Carnivore. Think Type O negative if they played Thrash metal. 

I also got to see MH twice. 1st when they opened for Metallica, second when they toured w/ Darkest Hour & Suicide Silence. At that show, I got to see Suicidals former frontman, the late Mitch Lucker. You should go to the MH site where there's a video of a dude proposing to his girlfriend on stage and Robb gets to decide their nuptials. 

I can relate to tastes broadening.  If I were answering this question 3 or 4 years ago, I wouldn't have any idea what I was talking about. I was nowhere near the metal fan then as I am now. 

I agree!  I'm looking forward to that show.

Nope, only my parents did sadly.  I was too little at the time.

I saw them last year at Mayhem and on an off date from Mayhem with Mastodon.  Both times it was an amazing performance.  We drove two states over to see the in Cleveland.  That video was hilarious.  I wanted to see them on this tour, but the closest show was 21+.  They're going out again with Children of Bodom this fall before the album release November 11th.

My dad was so proud when I told him I wanted to see Cannibal Corpse some day.  XD

• Brohoof 1

Falling In Reverse

Pierce the Veil

BOTDF

Escape the Fate

Black Veil Brides

Other warped tour crap

But...but....I actually really like PTV. Collide with the Sky is one of my favorite albums. They're pretty talented.(Even if some of their lyrics are a little too emo. Maybe they'll get more mature as the band does.)