Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A controversial topic.

Kel_Grym

(edited)

This is perhaps the most heated debate that has ever existed.

It's kept me up for many nights, but I believe I have finally found the answer to the age old question.

Toilet paper.

Should we set it over or under?

ToiletPaper_over_or_under.jpg

I have come to realize that the superior solution to this problem lies in the virtue of efficiency.

It takes literally less burned calories to extend your hand and grab toilet paper that is set over, than it does to grab toilet paper that is set under.

This is simply because toilet paper set over, is slightly closer to your hand than under.

Do you dare disagree?

Edited by Minister KelGrym
  • Brohoof 5

I agree, but for a different reason. Some dispensers have a part at the top that holds the paper in place so that it is easy to tear off. Over works with these systems, under doesn't. Therefore, statistically over the whole world, it's better to go over. In places where such dispensers are not used, either way works.

• Brohoof 1

I do say, good sir, that I very well concur with your statement! Clearly, by what proof you have given here, the optimal way our toilet paper rolls should be is over!

• Brohoof 1

I agree, but for a different reason. Some dispensers have a part at the top that holds the paper in place so that it is easy to tear off. Over works with these systems, under doesn't. Therefore, statistically over the whole world, it's better to go over. In places where such dispensers are not used, either way works.

So let us consider then, the case of toilet paper without those fancy dispensers.

Just a normal roll.

Would you not agree that by being set over, your hand has less traveling to do, in order to grab it than if it were set under?

• Brohoof 1

Lol, your topic made me smile.  I am definitely an over man myself.  Ugh, 100 character limit?  That's right--it's the debate pit.  How much can you say about toilet paper?  Well, one reason I like over-hand is that it's easier to just tear off a very small amount, like one square if that's all you need.  Under-hand means the perforation is kinda in back and just harder to reach, imo.  Wow, I actually managed a few hundred characters about toilet paper.

• Brohoof 1

So let us consider then, the case of toilet paper without those fancy dispensers.

Just a normal roll.

Would you not agree that by being set over, your hand has less traveling to do, in order to grab it than if it were set under?

I guess so. Moving your hand a shorter distance requires less energy. Less energy being used means less entropy, which (since the universe was created - don't read too much into that choice of wording - with a finite amount of energy) means that the universe lasts longer in the long term. There are (literally) cosmic considerations implicit in your choice of over or under, and over - given the shorter distance your hand has to travel - is the clear winner in this regard.

tl;dr: Yes.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Lol, your topic made me smile.  I am definitely an over man myself.  Ugh, 100 character limit?  That's right--it's the debate pit.  How much can you say about toilet paper?  Well, one reason I like over-hand is that it's easier to just tear off a very small amount, like one square if that's all you need.  Under-hand means the perforation is kinda in back and just harder to reach, imo.  Wow, I actually managed a few hundred characters about toilet paper.

Truthfully, its not that hard to write 100 characters worth of information on toilet paper, since there is actually much to be said about it.

Like, did you know that what we now know as toilet paper was developed by Joseph Gayetty in 1857?

Or that Venezuela has a severe toilet paper shortage?

The world runs on toilet paper.

I can't comprehend how we got by without it.

I guess so. Moving your hand a shorter distance requires less energy. Less energy being used means less entropy, which (since the universe was created - don't read too much into that choice of wording - with a finite amount of energy) means that the universe lasts longer in the long term. There are (literally) cosmic considerations implicit in your choice of over or under, and over - given the shorter distance your hand has to travel - is the clear winner in this regard.

tl;dr: Yes.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Pfft, Plebians! Everyone knows that people who set their TP under are much healthier!

(Ya just had to put this in the place with the 100 character limit, didn't you? >.>)

Sounds like a unfounded generalization to me.

I require proof, before I even consider moving my position.

Edited by Minister KelGrym
  • Brohoof 2

Here's a question... pursuant to my point about entropy... and it is this... is it less wasteful to be cremated or to be buried in a graveyard? Which route increases entropy by the lesser amount?

Inb4 this becomes off-topic. 

Here's a question... pursuant to my point about entropy... and it is this... is it less wasteful to be cremated or to be buried in a graveyard? Which route increases entropy by the lesser amount?

Inb4 this becomes off-topic. 

Less wasteful to be buried in a grave yard. Cremation requires a lot of energy to be given off at one time, while in a graveyard you decompose at a steady rate and that energy just gets put back into the earth, and the worms.

Oh, look at that. The mods moved this from the debate pit in approximately twenty minutes from posting.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh, look at that. The mods moved this from the debate pit in approximately twenty minutes from posting.

Are you really surprised by that? I'm just waiting for them to edit the title to remove the joke.

KelGrym, you crazay!

Edited by Sunny Fox
  • Brohoof 1

Are you really surprised by that? I'm just waiting for them to edit the title to remove the joke.

KelGrym, you crazay!

I honestly thought that this topic was worthy of a good rip roaring debate.

Obviously, the mods aren't taking this very important issue seriously.

Don't they realize that hundreds of people everywhere are setting their toilet paper the wrong way?

If we don't do something to intervene, this could all very well lead to the premature cold death of the universe!

Quickly, someone make a really big fuss and get offended by my insinuation that over is better than under, so we can get this moved back to the debate pit!

• Brohoof 1

This is totally destined for the debate pit... I'm surprised the flame wars haven't already started over such a controversial topic as this.

Clearly you're all wrong though...

toiletpapercropped.jpg

• Brohoof 3

I think I'm gonna go under now. If it takes more energy to grab from under then I could use those burned calories.

I can see it now. A new aerobics work out routine you can do right from the porcelain throne.

Meanwhile, stars burn out through the universe because of your reckless actions.

This is totally destined for the debate pit... I'm surprised the flame wars haven't already started over such a controversial topic as this.

Clearly you're all wrong though...

img-2859256-1-toiletpapercropped.jpg

Oh? Oh really? It's going to be like that, huh? :P

What a bummer.
Heh heh, bummer, I get it.

As for the question at hand, the clear answer is under. Not only is it part of a healthy, active lifestyle, butt it also makes it easier to tear it away and stop the roll from spinning and wasting paper. In a world that runs on toilet paper, the ability to easily control usage is necessary if we are to prevent the collapse of society as we know it, which would be quite.. crappy  B) .

• Brohoof 2

Heh heh, bummer, I get it.

As for the question at hand, the clear answer is under. Not only is it part of a healthy, active lifestyle, butt it also makes it easier to tear it away and stop the roll from spinning and wasting paper. In a world that runs on toilet paper, the ability to easily control usage is necessary if we are to prevent the collapse of society as we know it, which would be quite.. crappy  B) .

Astounding, you actually gave a good counter argument.

However, I think its full of holes.

I think its just as easy to tear away the paper from the over position. You can do this with one hand or two. Its more efficient to use only one hand, but the technique is only slightly more difficult to do, but can be done with practice and patience.

The art form of tearing away toilet paper from the roll is something everyone should aspire to master.

It depends upon the sex, gender, local latitude of the toilet-user, which hemisphere they are in, if they like nuts, and if you actually give dammed care.

Oh that's ridiculous.

This is a serious thread, and toilet paper is serious business.

• 1 month later...