jaime_lion

A pony themed religion.

is this legit?

:o 

here's an exert from their about page and a link

if you haven't heard.

http://celestianism.wordpress.com/

img-3113173-1-8ammnyb.png

it seems a little out there..... but so does any religious person when given the chance to say what ever they want, and to be honest I've seen stranger religions.

I just want to know if anypony else has heard about this or if your a part of this religion.

if your not part of their religion what do you think?

is it too far for a fandom? :huh: 

or do you just not care about it as long as no one is harmed?

:please: there is simply too much written for me to believe its some hoax or troll site.

Seems legit to me. Not as good as the Cult of Celestia™, however.

• Brohoof 1

I looked into this and it was started as a joke. I'm not sure if people are taking it seriously at this point. I'm not a religious person, but if it makes people happy, it doesn't matter to me what they worship  :)

Is it real or not?

I don't think it matters.

Those who believe in it, I have no problem with them. And to the ones saying that it is written by a single person with too much time on their hands, no offence, but you can say that about all religions. Who can say what's right or wrong? It has been the focus of many wars throughout history after all.

However, I will say that just like any other religion, that those who would believe in it, to not force it to anyone. Religion only exists through faith of believers, so if there are people who believe in this, then yes, I think they can count it as religion.

Some will call me crazy for saying that, but if I learned one thing from MLP, it's to be more open to people, as long as they aren't doing any harm to themselves or others and personally, I don't see that for believers of this.

(But I can admit, it would be a little strange :P)

The most disturbing thing about this is that there's no less legitimacy to this religion then there is any other. I don't want to think about the implications behind this.

It's not really true that all religions have the same level of legitimacy; some really can be falsified when you stop and think about it, e.g. from prophecies that don't come true.

...I know what you're thinking, and yes, the groups of Christians who predicted the end of the world a few years ago are a joke---even (perhaps especially) among mainstream Christians like myself, but it's hard to laugh when someone only two degrees of separation from you donated their whole retirement savings to a false prophet, thinking they wouldn't need it if the world was ending, but now they have zilcho to live on.  Was such a move painfully unwise?  Absolutely.  But was it funny?  No way.  If it happened in a sitcom, it might be funny, but not when it's reality.

...On that note, I hope to God that this joke religion isn't taking offerings for anything!

• 1 month later...

So, I've been thinking, could we be considered a religion? Some Bronies write letters to Celestia asking her for favors or guidance like Twilight used to. And some Bronies pray to Luna at night wishing to be watched over and hoping that she will keep them safe and maybe even visit them in their dreams. :D I personally think that when I die, all my OCs that I have made will be given life in Equestria and I will live in Equestria as my ponysona, also. Is this crazy?

So, I've been thinking, could we be considered a religion? Some Bronies write letters to Celestia asking her for favors or guidance like Twilight used to. And some Bronies pray to Luna at night wishing to be watched over and hoping that she will keep them safe and maybe even visit them in their dreams. :D I personally think that when I die, all my OCs that I have made will be given life in Equestria and I will live in Equestria as my ponysona, also. Is this crazy?

I merged your post with two of probably many many more that discuss this topic. Remember to use the search function EB. 

• Brohoof 1

The idea of characters from a cartoon being deified is no more idiotic than believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Isn't there a difference between a religion and a cult? I mean I feel like they are praying to someone like Celesta they are putting her in the place of God and that is like the biggest sin of all :|..Also they are changing the Bible into something else and to say what they want to make sure this is their "god". Even if it is for fun this could become bad in the end.

This is why I have a problem with fandoms because sometimes they take things too far like they are with this.

Personally, I see very little difference between the behaviors of your standard cultist amd your standard religious individual.

Edited by Doxus

I'm more offended by the horrible spelling and grammar in that document than anything else :lol: Twilight would NOT approve.

But yeah...I would HOPE this is a joke, but I could believe that for at least a few...dedicated individuals, it's not. Fandom (all fandoms, not just MLP) does have a history of people who, for example, seriously believe they're married to/they are their favourite character. "Otherkin" is a thing, where people believe (or say they do, it's hard to tell which do believe this and which are just trolling) they literally have the spirit of an animal in a human body. It's quite sad because it's clear some of these people are mentally ill and/or need help, and people online just come to mock/bully them...Given that so many people use fiction as escapism, it's inevitable that some take it too far. Generally I think if it's not hurting anyone then who cares, people can believe what they want to if it makes them happy (and I'm an atheist so I think this and, say, Christianity are equally fictional...at least people aren't starting wars over MLP, I guess?). But there does become a point where it's not healthy to spend all your time and energy focusing on a fictional world and neglect your RL and relationships...and this is probably it, if there are people taking it seriously.