Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unique food thread

TheMarkz0ne

(edited)

Have you ever had something that usually you can't get in your average super market? Or something that can't be easily made at home? I am not a cook at all. But I know a chef at a cafe I got to and pretty much for $5 I had this amazing cold soup called watermelon gaspachio( I think that's how you spell it) It's watermelon mixed with herbal spices and some type of vegan-esque chili.

What have you guys had?  ^_^

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

I love trying strange and unusual food!

Ostrich to alligator, peanut soup to Mexican-Asian fusion.

Lately I've been enjoying middle-eastern foods. The spices used are yummy.

Sometimes it backfires though... I had a chicken liver pate on toast... Supposedly a local specialty, bleh

• Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...

I had deep fried grasshoppers and grasshopper lollipops before. (It was a lollipop but with a cooked grasshopper in the middle). Weird as hell but delicious af

I love going to unique bakeries, especially ones that make/sell special cupcakes. There is a bakery in a nearby town that has awesome flavors such as blueberry cheesecake and white chocolate raspberry.

I had some crickets (cheddar bacon flavor) at an airport, escargot at Epcot, tripe in Hawaii, and a few Polish dishes like czarnina in Buffalo, NY. I’m from a polish family and some of the stuff we’ve had can be found in restaurants but not often. Trader Joe's has a lot of stuff most other supermarkets don't carry, like foie gras. 

• 1 month later...

I'd never thought unsweetened dried cranberries were unique until I tried to find them in stores (I like them in salads). The closest thing to unsweetened I can buy anywhere is dried cranberries with 50% less sugar, but even then there's still a noticeable difference in taste that I don't like.