Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Some good Alicorn OCs

dragon-in-night

Ok I'm new to this forum and I not sure if this topic is suitable here, if not please move it.

I'm not a new MLP's fan but I'm new with the fandom (fanfic, art work, meme fan's stuffs, etc ). Recently  I start to read MLP's fanfic and search for artwork because I'm working on my own AU world. I was a bit surprised to see so many hate for Alicorn OCs, as a reader and writer I understand why but still...

I'm have two OCs, I'm proud about them and I made sure they're not mary-sue even though they're OP. In my canon Alicorns are alway OP and I can't stand normal, weak alicorn or alicorn can't fly/ can't use magic (serious, why's she/he be alicorn then? :eww:  ), non-royal or don't hold responsibility is ok as long as their stories is reasonable.

Ok back to the topic, I have search around internet try to find good designs to prove that Alicorn OC can be done right. Well I can't find many so I open this thread for share some good Alicorn designs and hope you guys can help me find some in return. Not good designs but well-write alicorns' re also welcome. ;)

+Interesting background and beautiful designs: http://sapphiregamgee.deviantart.com/art/Ponies-of-Death-417311908

+Black Alicorn is not new but I like his bangs, really a nice touch: https://derpibooru.org/67565?scope=scped88f35e6454ef71e8f7f89da71bf03aa4f94827a

+Maybe not a excellent drawing, but I fall in love with her colors: http://redtallin.deviantart.com/art/Earth-328113671

+This one has mainstream colors and a bit overdesign IMO, but he look so freaking awesome: http://legacy350.deviantart.com/art/Dust-215879023

English is not my native language, I'm sorry if I confuse you. :(
  • Brohoof 2

Alicorn oc's can be done properly but most are just not. To be honest its like the old days of running around playing DBZ as a kid. I hated when friends were instantly jumping to a super sayin. Alicorns can be done right but imo they lose their indiviuality once theyvate made.

• Brohoof 1

Alicorn oc's can be done properly but most are just not. To be honest its like the old days of running around playing DBZ as a kid. I hated when friends were instantly jumping to a super sayin. Alicorns can be done right but imo they lose their indiviuality once theyvate made.

I agree. I also know as a kid when we played with pokemon figures, that they could magically dodge every hit.

Alicorn OCs, if done correctly, can be quite good. Here are some tips:

Don't give your alicorn god powers. This usually makes them really OP

Don't make your alicorn some random child of Celestia or Luna or something

Don't give your alicorn relations with Mane six ponies. Not every single pony is besties with the Elements of Harmony.

Don't make a sad backstory that's ridiculous for your alicorn. These are overused and usually have no reason whatsoever.

Remember: Just because a OC is an alicorn, doesn't necessarily make it bad. But combined with other aspects, can make a pretty sucky OC.

• Brohoof 2

There is one Alicorn OC that I absolutely adore. A cute little mare called @Lightning Bliss.

post-18648-0-67959300-1405706632_thumb.jpg

Two reasons why this Alicorn is awesome. The first being that she's NOT an overpowered Mary Sue due to the fact that she's below-par when it comes to magic. The second is that she is simply ADORABLE! How could you not look at this mare without going "D'aaaawww!" :wub:

• Brohoof 3

I don't think I could find any examples of an Alicorn done right. People use them because they can't come up with a compelling character. I've heard lots of examples. One of the worst was a character that was the standard Alicorn with tremendous power, related to the princess, friends with the elements of harmony, good at everything, and also has six cutie marks. I think I only respect Lauren Faust's Alicorn OC. I know that I won't create one except as a parody or joke or something. Certainly, I would never put one in any fan fiction.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

An Alicorn OC might be able to be done well, but it's difficult to the point of not really being worth it. Either the Alicorn OC is OP due to the nature of being an Alicorn or the reason their not OP is super contrived. Even if they dodge the Mary Sue/contrived weakness bullet, they still carry the stigma of being an objectively elite class of character which instantly 'others' them. Essentially, if I can't imagine an OC as a character in the show then I don't like it. That's a fairly hard-line stance to take, and it writes-off some otherwise interesting characters, but that's my gut-reaction. Now, if you want the main character in your fan-fiction to be an Alicorn/the secret daughter of Celestia/whatever then that's fine, but for self-representative fandom OC's I expect a little more restraint.

This is just my opinion, of course. In a fandom about cartoon ponies, who am I to say what is correct and what isn't?

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 2

• 4 months later...

I have MANY alicorn OC's and I think that they are fine, such as goddess of, light, darkness, fire, water, air. An alicorn can be done right if the creator has common sense

Things to avoid

1. The Overpowerd OC's- Don't give your OC powers that are greater than Celestia's or Luna's. They can't control everything that exists (I've seen so many Alicorns with an infinity cutie mark if I had to prick out a hair for each one K see I would be bald right now).

2. SSB (a.k.a the super sad pony) For some odd reason people think it's a good idea to make their Alicorns have super sad backstory. Sometimes it works! I have an OC named Crystal and she is the daughter of Sombra and was abandoned because she was originally a Pegasus! But if you keep stacking everything on top of each other it starts to get weird and scary.

3. The Normal Alicorn- Now this pony doesn't even have a reason to BE an Alicorn! It acts like a normal pony when in reality, Alicorns should rule over an element or a country! I can't stand this...

4. The -1 Alicorn- This pony is an Alicorn that can't fly/use magic at all! Why is it an Alicorn if it can't use one of its powers! Sometimes this works but if it is just there for a backstory's plot, that's a big no-no.

I think these are most of the Alicorns...... There are WAY more than this......

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for sharing these good OCs, but I think we all already knew that every type of OC has the potential to be good.

It just so happens that since Alicorns are the master race in mlp, a lot of amateurs go for that for their OCs (because they think physical specialness can compensate for personality).

But I'm sure a lot of people have shared that with you already. :P We appreciate good OCs when and where we can find them...it just...doesn't happen much.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

Okay, So I know the whole "PRINCESS" thing is seen as mary-sueish, but seriously, I only call MY alicorn OC that because she has a small crown, more like a hat. Yes, she started with the pony creator. NO, she is never going back there again. BTW, her wings aren't pegasus wings, they're supposed to be fairy wings like Navi from the Zelda games, I just liked the base a ton and can't draw wings very well. Also, the cutie mark is my own design. ... Can somepony tell me how to paste images from paint? Or how to get a URL from paint... SOS

I believe Alicorns are a big source of unique opportunities for OC creators, but are used wrongly. Either they're OP as fuck, being basically world creators and destroye s and doing whatever pleases their Mary Sue brains, or they're too underpowered for them to actually have a point in being an alicorn, and being described as the offspring of unicorns and pegasis. From what we know, alicorns are in fact godly beings, so if one chooses to make one, he should consider why the OC absolutely has to be an alicorn and not let's say a pegasi. An alicorn with a suitable and credible backstory, flaws and characteristics could be an excellent character, but still, doing so is difficult enough.

• 4 months later...

Umm... I have a question. I have an Alicorn OC. I want to know if he is overpowered or not. His name is Chronikos. He is a white colt with a dark blue mane and tail that have streaks of lighter blue running through it. (Think Dialga's coloring.) He holds sway over time, including precognition and recognition abilities. He is currently at a point where he isn't strong enough to manage time travel, or stop time. Before you ask, there's a good reason that he is a colt. You see, shortly after Tirek's escape, Chronikos, an adult at the time, stood in a temporal rift, overlooking time as usual. Despite his power, he was unaware of the darkness looming behind him until it was too late. Tirek attacked him, and drained some of his magic. Chronikos couldn't defend himself without magic, and the rift became unstable. Tirek lashed out at him in anger, furious that he couldn't take all of his magic, and fled, leaving Chronikos to die. What he didn't expect was what would happen next. Chronikos was transformed back into a colt and lost his cutie mark due to an unknown magical force, falling out of the deteriorating time rift and into the Everfree Forest. Battered, lost, and alone, he was soon found by Fluttershy, who took him to Ponyville. He has lost many of his memories, but often gets surprise attacked by visions of his past and the future. He has almost no control over it. Despite this, he has dedicated himself to solve the mysteries of his past, and find out who he really is. That's essentially the plot to the fanfiction I'm writing with him. Here are his personality traits.

Good personality traits:

• Determined
  • Adventurous
  • Intelligent
  • Caring
  • Honest
  • Slow to anger

Bad personality traits:

• Pessimistic
  • Stubborn
  • Tends to explode in anger when pushed far enough
  • Can be vengeful
  • Socially awkward

I know that this was long, but I felt that I needed to cover everything. Any and all feedback is appreciated. (Don't worry, I'm not the kind of person to freak the hay out over some honest constructive criticism.)

Well he does sound a little OP but as long as you add enough drawbacks to his personality to counteract his powers and don't make him the center of the universe he doesn't sound that bad. I would change Fluttershy to a background pony because her finding him is pretty marysueish IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well he does sound a little OP but as long as you add enough drawbacks to his personality to counteract his powers and don't make him the center of the universe he doesn't sound that bad. I would change Fluttershy to a background pony because her finding him is pretty marysueish IMO.

That was the plan to begin with when it came to the 6. As for flaws, Chronikos has a lot of problems, including pride issues that got him into his predicament in the first place. His vengefulness can get him into a lot of trouble, and speaking of trouble, he has a lot of difficulty making friends. Despite this, as I have mentioned, he does have some redeeming qualities. Thanks. By the way, the only reason that I used Fluttershy is that she would be in there helping an animal. She finds him on her way back. After that, the Mane 6 are background ponies. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Your welcome and I only said use a background pony because people only seem to use the overrated ones (Muffins/Ditzy,Lyra,Vinyl,Rose Luck,Dr. Whooves,Octavia,etc.) forgetting that they are not the only background ponies you also got all of Muffins/Ditzy's sisters/clones,the hyperactive pegasi High Spirits,Twilight's friends in canterlot,etc. but now that I think about it Fluttershy does make the most sense there.

• 6 months later...
(edited)

the only alicorn ocs i  like are lighting bliss fallen wish anna madsen alesha zee white hawk and pristine and heather blossom and a male alicorn the reason why i like these them is because they are not overpowered mary sues/gary stus because they are not perfect  

Edited by kingfan

I have two alicorn OCs and I put a lot of work into making them well rounded. What bugs me is people who make a horribly overpowered unicorn/pegasus/earth pony OC and then go, "Um, Serenity Moonflower is NOT a Mary Sue cuz she's an earth pony with special powers, not an alicorn!", ignoring the fact that if their earth pony OC can fly and do magic, they're pretty much an alicorn anyway. The worst OC I ever encountered was a pegasus who had the power to do magic and who possessed two made up Elements.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

I agree. I also know as a kid when we played with pokemon figures, that they could magically dodge every hit.

Alicorn OCs, if done correctly, can be quite good. Here are some tips:

Don't give your alicorn god powers. This usually makes them really OP

Don't make your alicorn some random child of Celestia or Luna or something

Don't give your alicorn relations with Mane six ponies. Not every single pony is besties with the Elements of Harmony.

Don't make a sad backstory that's ridiculous for your alicorn. These are overused and usually have no reason whatsoever.

Remember: Just because a OC is an alicorn, doesn't necessarily make it bad. But combined with other aspects, can make a pretty sucky OC.

the backstory can be sad as long as its done correctly and not too sad

I don't think I could find any examples of an Alicorn done right. People use them because they can't come up with a compelling character. I've heard lots of examples. One of the worst was a character that was the standard Alicorn with tremendous power, related to the princess, friends with the elements of harmony, good at everything, and also has six cutie marks. I think I only respect Lauren Faust's Alicorn OC. I know that I won't create one except as a parody or joke or something. Certainly, I would never put one in any fan fiction.

how about lighting bliss since she has a good backstory but shes not my oc she belongs to Emily  

Edited by kingfan

• 2 weeks later...

My alicorn OC isn't able to fly, but I have a good reason for it that touches up on the mythology of born vs. artificial alicorns.

Her wings aren't useless; she unconsciously uses them to express her emotions somewhat.  She hides behind them; plus, she's trained herself to be able to position them in such a way that she can use them to balance items on her back for maximum carrying capacity.

I may have rambled a bit there.  Did that make sense?

• 1 year later...
On 7/18/2014 at 0:16 PM, Silver Letter said:

I can make decent alicorn ocs. Mine is not a mary sue and she looks like any other pony, just with wings and a horn. She wears no jewelry and she doesn't like being pointed out for her alicorn status. I think she is a good character, but you are right. It is difficult to make an alicorn oc that is not too powerful.

Edited by I<3Hybrids

Anything can be good as long as its done correctly. However, that is not necessarily the case. There needs to be balance. You can't have them be too strong, or too weak. However, pony OCS are almost entirely out of my comfort zone,which was why I opted for a pegasus. Yeah, alicorn original characters are cool, but I honestly don't know awhgat to say. The ponies here are using roleplay character vocabulary that is entirely new to me. Mary sues, back stories, the whole gist of it. But then again, the last time I touched a roleplay was 6-7 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

My alicorn OC Clover finds flying difficult; she started out as a unicorn and earned her alicornhood by defeating an evil mage that threatened to cover Equestria in an eternal winter. She's also extremely phobic about heights so if she does fly, she doesn't go too high up and often panics and gets stuck on trees or clouds, so she generally goes about by hoof or teleportation. I worked extremely hard to round her out and not make her overpowered. Yes, she is skilled at magic, but that was her talent when she was a unicorn and was partly hard work and practice, and partly natural skill.

• 1 month later...

Alicorns are given a bad rap in the borny community. But the thing is, it's not the alicorns' fault. 

I made this post about alicorns a while ago, and I think it sums up and explains the problems. :P

If you read it, please do let me know what you think. :)

I'm an alicorn, myself. :P

• Brohoof 2