Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

You come up with an idea, the next thing you know someone develops it

BronyPony

So, I came up with an idea that was dealing with a social network design. I began developing on it and so forth(for months now), but now I see that a company releases information about an idea that is almost the same exact thing. I had to stop developing it because I knew I couldn't fight against a company that has everything tied up and I merely was developing the idea with no copyright protection(my fault, probably).

But it just ticks me off that companies can simply do that. You have this great idea you know people will love, but then a few days or months later a company releases a product that is completely the same, with only a different shell. I don't know if they intentionally took the idea or if they just had the idea as well and were developing it, but it seems coincidental that they released news of the product months later after I released my unfinished product on the web.

What do we do as explorers of inventing and development? If companies simply patent and copyright things faster than us, is there any point in trying to peruse an idea? Do we become slaves of the business world, where we have an idea and businesses simply take it? What are your thoughts on the issue?

I guess sharing ideas isn't all it's cracked up to be.

you could make a "cloud" device and make a kickstarter for it, it's worked for the sherlybox.

But the thing is I am going towards making an original idea. My other idea was original and it got taken by another company because I didn't have proper copyright protection. >_>

What do we do as explorers of inventing and development? If companies simply patent and copyright things faster than us, is there any point in trying to peruse an idea? Do we become slaves of the business world, where we have an idea and businesses simply take it? What are your thoughts on the issue?

I highlighted what my first reaction was and what I did. The enterprise level software developer in me says come on in ... the waters fine. The artist in me wants to shake your hand.

To be honest you would have more to fear from patent trolls than a corporation. The components of a patent are complex and specific variations of code, implementation, UI, etc could actually save your project.

(edited)

I had an idea for what is like a piece of cloth that women stick to their private. Then I saw an iO video about the exact same thing being released called a strapless thong.

Now I thought of something similar, but the cloth sticks to ur nipple (more likely womens) so ur nipples won't rub against ur shirt when ur w/out a bra.

Edited by RainbowPastel

When you have an idea like this you MUST get copyright before you share it to the internet. It is so easy for things from the internet to be stolen without copyright.

But in order to know if your idea has any merit to it, you have to see if people would like the idea. It seems irrational to develop something if you don't know it won't gain a profit.

(edited)

But in order to know if your idea has any merit to it, you have to see if people would like the idea. It seems irrational to develop something if you don't know it won't gain a profit.

I understand, but most people who are developing something bring the idea to people they know outside of the internet or get the copyright. Whenever you have an idea like this, even if you aren't sure if people will like it you get the copyright so you can prove it was your idea even if it amounts to nothing. It is so much safer. I'v heard of people even stealing ideas from best friends they have in real life. If you absolutely cannot get a copyright at least put a copyright symbol on the website to give the appearance of copyrighted material. It's cheating, I know, but it might work. It's much better to have a real copyright though, I assure you.

Edited by StitchandMLPlover

I understand, but most people who are developing something bring the idea to people they know outside of the internet or get the copyright. Whenever you have an idea like this, even if you aren't sure if people will like it you get the copyright so you can prove it was your idea even if it amounts to nothing. It is so much safer. I'v heard of people even stealing ideas from best friends they have in real life.

It costs money to get a copyright, the money that I don't have. I don't see how new businesses can be founded if ideas come from people who do not have money to do such. It creates a dependency on other businesses, which in the end creates businesses that become to powerful. I am all for Capitalism, but this simply isn't capitalism in its entirety.

It costs money to get a copyright, the money that I don't have. I don't see how new businesses can be founded if ideas come from people who do not have money to do such. It creates a dependency on other businesses, which in the end creates businesses that become to powerful. I am all for Capitalism, but this simply isn't capitalism in its entirety.

I agree. Just put a fake copyright symbol on the website then. That way people will think you paid the money and it is protected. I have seen other people on the internet get away with it even though it is cheating.

I agree. Just put a fake copyright symbol on the website then. That way people will think you paid the money and it is protected. I have seen other people on the internet get away with it even though it is cheating.

Those don't work. If you aren't protected by copyright and a person develops it, you can't carry out a lawsuit. It happens all the time.

Those don't work. If you aren't protected by copyright and a person develops it, you can't carry out a lawsuit. It happens all the time.

I know. That is why you really need the real copyright. It might deter some people temporarily but not all of them. 

I know. That is why you really need the real copyright. It might deter some people temporarily but not all of them. 

What I am complaining about is how one has to pay to protect their own work. It's bullcrap that companies can simply take an idea because a person doesn't have the money to copyright that idea.

What I am complaining about is how one has to pay to protect their own work. It's bullcrap that companies can simply take an idea because a person doesn't have the money to copyright that idea.

I went through this with my films and agree it is completely unfair!!! If people had manners and left other people's ideas alone we would never need copyright and bronies making fan videos would have a much easier time with Hasbro.