Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

#LikeAGirl

XxConfusedUnicornxX

(edited)

Watch the video first before answering:

What do you guys think of the statement 'like a girl'? What is your reaction when someones says 'like a girl' to you? How do you respond? What is your reaction to the video?

Edited by XxConfusedUnicornxX

I think it's a stereotypical phrase that's just plain mean. A lot of the time it refers to the fact that the way you do is something is weak and bad. I don't like it. It's more offensive to a girl than the guy you're saying it to.

• Brohoof 3

I think it's a stereotypical phrase that's just plain mean. A lot of the time it refers to the fact that the way you do is something is weak and bad. I don't like it. It's more offensive to a girl than the guy you're saying it to.

I agree. But I think 'like a girl' will hurt boys during sports or when they do things boys mostly do because to them it means that they're weak and they suck. Most men think they are more superior than women and they see us as weak and useless because we 'whine a lot'. But the truth is, women are stronger than men because of the things we go through. We have to GIVE BIRTH we have PERIODS (yes, theyre bad) and we are more emotional than men. Heartbreak can affect us a lot and can lower our self esteem.

I agree. But I think 'like a girl' will hurt boys during sports or when they do things boys mostly do because to them it means that they're weak and they suck. Most men think they are more superior than women and they see us as weak and useless because we 'whine a lot'. But the truth is, women are stronger than men because of the things we go through. We have to GIVE BIRTH we have PERIODS (yes, theyre bad) and we are more emotional than men. Heartbreak can affect us a lot and can lower our self esteem.

I understand. I like to think we're all equal really. I've never treated a girl as weak. In fact I really like hanging around them. Most are really fun and active people. I know a few girls that have won things for sports at my high school.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I understand. I like to think we're all equal really. I've never treated a girl as weak. In fact I really like hanging around them. Most are really fun and active people. I know a few girls that have won things for sports at my high school.

The girls in my class are way more athletic than the boys in my class.

Edited by XxConfusedUnicornxX
  • Brohoof 3

The girls in my class are way more athletic than the boys in my class.

That's cool! :) I think everyone should be somewhat active but I'm glad to hear that about your class.

I'd really like the stereotype to be proven wrong.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

For the people that say such things are trivial...
Ever notice how a lot of young girls tend to be scared of spiders, even if they're otherwise the rough-and-tough types?
Ever notice that young boys tend to scoff at romantic stuff, even if they're the type that cries at the drop of a hat?
Simple stuff like sexual stereotypes can actually alter what we do before we're even aware of it. My four year old cousin isn't old enough to pronounce full sentences, but she's still able to tell me "I can't have a Pinkie Pie plushie" because "it's for girls", and to tell my other cousin of the same age that "she can't be Batman", because "only boys can be Batman".
"I have to do this because i'm a boy", "I have to do this because i'm a girl"... It's the kind of thing I desperately wish to erase.

Edited by Shimmer5000
  • Brohoof 6

I completely disagree with the video.

It is a fact that females are generally less strong physically. Now, saying "like a girl" isn't offensive, and anyone who takes it as an offense is overreacting. If "like a girl" is offensive, then so is "boys will be boys".

If you were to take the "boys will be boys" saying too seriously in the same way this video is treating "like a girl", you could say "Oh, that saying is offensive. It's saying all men are violent, mindless rough-housers who always argue". The truth is, it's just a little phrase playing on the observation that boys seem to sometimes argue over the most pointless things, and isn't trying to say that all boys are aggressive, etc.

• Brohoof 3

I think it's just an insult, nothing more. The only reasoning behind it is because....

ALERT, VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!

Women are weaker than men typically. At the very best, optimal conditions, the man will be stronger and faster. On average, men are more athletic. This isn't a rule, but it is a trend. It's kind of like how most Asian people are short.

Most men think they are more superior than women and they see us as weak and useless because we 'whine a lot

Do cite where most men they are superior. Please, do tell

. We have to GIVE BIRTH

That's a matter of endurance, strength has nothing to do with it. Strength of character maybe, but not strength

we have PERIODS (yes, theyre bad)

Depends on the girl. Some girls don't go through that much

we are more emotional than men. Heartbreak can affect us a lot and can lower our self esteem.

That's a huge fucking stereotype that pisses me off.

"Oh, men aren't as emotional, heartbreak doesn't affect them as much or lower their self esteem"

If you want equality for women, cool, I like that too. But don't step on other people because you can't come up with any facts

• Brohoof 3

Ok, here's my thoughts.

I honestly don't care for the phrase, because honestly nothing good comes of it. Sure that isn't going to get rid of it, but I mean is anything good really going to come from the phrase?

I mean honestly I don't like the way the video is made portraying women as the only victims in this, when in reality this insult is used on men more often than girls from my experience(Honestly saying it directly to a girl just... sounds dumb honestly.) 

Now hold on, that doesn't mean it doesn't affect girls, because it does, if they hear a guy being told "You hit like a girl" or something of that nature, then it's going to possibly put down the guy, or just make him mad, as well as putting down the girl.

The point is honestly I can't see anything good coming from the phrase, for men or women.

I'm all for gender equality, but I am for just that. No superiority on either side, no gender stereotypes, either side can do things without them being considered like one gender. Or whatever.

I think both genders are equal, and just that, different, but equal.

That's my opinion, hopefully it makes some type of sense. 

It's just my opinion though.

• Brohoof 2

I see this stereotype all the time and have always been fascinated by what it actually meant as a young child. In order to actually get why it was said, I've made observations. The sayings "hit like a girl" and "throw like a girl" are partially true. Over the years, I've watched and saw that a significant number of girls that aren't of athletic backgrounds do have a certain way that they do punch or throw that makes it distinct to them. That's where I personally see the phrase "like a girl" come into place. Now, I'm no means sexist, as there are guys that are like this too. Point and case, one of my best friends. He punches and throws "like a girl", and I give him crap about it all the time.

It doesn't really hurt boys any more than any other insult. It's bad because it's detrimental to girls.

Also, women aren't stronger than men.

It doesn't really hurt boys any more than any other insult. It's bad because it's detrimental to girls.

Also, women aren't stronger than men.

I know women aren't stronger than men in the physical part but women go through more than men. It sorta makes them stronger than men but I'm not saying girls are better than boys okay?

It is an insult that became as such do to the natural genetic differences in body strength between male and females. Humanity is a sexually dimorphic species, so while insulting the other gender for its differences should not be allowed, this whole "all people are made 100% equal" bs is getting annoying, and has no basis in human biology.

And honestly, this just seems like another video made to stir up shit, just like the #banbossy. It is nothing more than hashtag activism, and it will not result in any positive changes to social gender equality.

• Brohoof 7