Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

#LikeAGirl

XxConfusedUnicornxX

I know women aren't stronger than men in the physical part but women go through more than men. It sorta makes them stronger than men but I'm not saying girls are better than boys okay?

Women go through more than men, yet another unsupported quote. 

And I know you aren't, what you're saying is that men are better than women in a way that degrades both genders.

You claim that women go through more emotional pain, thus painting them to look like they can't handle anything while men are stoic, neither of which is true

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Women go through more than men, yet another unsupported quote. 

And I know you aren't, what you're saying is that men are better than women in a way that degrades both genders.

You claim that women go through more emotional pain, thus painting them to look like they can't handle anything while men are stoic, neither of which is true

I'm not saying men are better than women. I'm just stating facts. I'm sorry if what I said (periods and giving birth) screwed my explanation up but I'm not degrading any gender. Yeah, women go through more emotional pain but I never said they couldn't handle anything.

Edited by XxConfusedUnicornxX

I'm not saying men are better than women omg. I'm just stating facts. I'm sorry if what I said (periods and giving birth) screwed my explanation up but I'm not degrading any gender. Yeah, women go through more emotional pain but I never said they couldn't handle anything.

You literally said that heartbreak affects women a lot more and lowers their self esteem. Also that women are more emotional. 

You kind of shot yourself in the foot there

You literally said that heartbreak affects women a lot more and lowers their self esteem. Also that women are more emotional. 

You kind of shot yourself in the foot there

Yes I said that but I never said that women were weak. When I said self esteem I meant confidence. Like.... They cant dress how they want because they are self conscious and stuff like that but even when your self esteem is low you're still a strong person fighting. I never said they were weak. 

Yes I said that but I never said that women were weak. When I said self esteem I meant confidence. Like.... They cant dress how they want because they are self conscious and stuff like that but even when your self esteem is low you're still a strong person fighting. I never said they were weak. 

Wearing what you want is stronger than trying to wear what you want and then stopping. I'm not sure if you're just bad with word choice or if you actually believe the implications behind "Women are more emotional than men"

Wearing what you want is stronger than trying to wear what you want and then stopping. I'm not sure if you're just bad with word choice or if you actually believe the implications behind "Women are more emotional than men"

Yes I believe women are slightly emotional than men. I'm not saying its for everyone but it sorta is for a lot. Some women cry over the smallest things and drama, some don't. Men can be emotionless some can be sensitive.

And I'm sorry if my poor english annoys you.  >_>

Yes I believe women are slightly emotional than men. I'm not saying its for everyone but it sorta is for a lot. Some women cry over the smallest things and drama, some don't. Men can be emotionless some can be sensitive.

And I'm sorry if my poor english annoys you.  >_>

Poor English isn't the thing, it's just that you pick incredibly sweeping words.

And if women are in general more emotional, then the whole point of "Like a girl" is clear to you, yes? In general, men are physically stronger than women.

You're basically saying that generalizations are okay, but only when it benefits you

Poor English isn't the thing, it's just that you pick incredibly sweeping words.

And if women are in general more emotional, then the whole point of "Like a girl" is clear to you, yes? In general, men are physically stronger than women.

You're basically saying that generalizations are okay, but only when it benefits you.

Yes. The whole 'like a girl' is clear to me. I was just stating my opinion. I wasn't saying which gender was better. Okay? End of topic.

Assumptions.
That's all it is.
Most of these things are created when you assume something should be so, and you act on it. As soon as you do that, you limit yourself, and when other people believe it, you get stereotypes. If you want to solve the problem, stop assuming things should be so, and just be who you want to be.
It's that simple.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Okay, just for the record here:

On average, women ARE more emotional than men. This is an accepted fact. This is not to say that women can't be emotionless, or men can't be overly emotional. What it means is that your typical woman is more emotional than your typical man, statistically speaking. According to neuroscience, this holds true.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/girl-brain-boy-brain/

What's in question is whether it's biological or cultural. Is it natural, or is it something we're taught by society?

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 3

Okay, just for the record here:

On average, women ARE more emotional than men. This is an accepted fact. This is not to say that women can't be emotionless, or men can't be overly emotional. What it means is that your typical woman is more emotional than your typical man, statistically speaking. According to neuroscience, this holds true.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/girl-brain-boy-brain/

What's in question is whether it's biological or cultural. Is it natural, or is it something we're taught by society?

Thank you Regulus. That is a very good question that can be made into a very good topic for people to discuss about. Who knows? Someone might know the answer. :)

Funny story...

I was playing some CoD zombies one day, way back during the WoW age. I was playing with some random people, & I was having an off day. The 2 guys were laughing & making fun of me, & said "You play like a girl." The other person spoke up, & in the most light, cute female voice I have ever heard to this day (well... Ok if you count humans, Flutters probably holds the record for that otherwise) said "Well, I'm a girl, & I am beating all of you." She had the highest points by at least a thousand each game, was always keeping the team alive & moving, & seemed to know all the in's & out's of this map. So too this day, I take "Like a Girl" not as an insult, but as just "Different."

• Brohoof 4

Funny story...

I was playing some CoD zombies one day, way back during the WoW age. I was playing with some random people, & I was having an off day. The 2 guys were laughing & making fun of me, & said "You play like a girl." The other person spoke up, & in the most light, cute female voice I have ever heard to this day (well... Ok if you count humans, Flutters probably holds the record for that otherwise) said "Well, I'm a girl, & I am beating all of you." She had the highest points by at least a thousand each game, was always keeping the team alive & moving, & seemed to know all the in's & out's of this map. So too this day, I take "Like a Girl" not as an insult, but as just "Different."

This sounds a bit too perfect to be true. Hmmmmm....whatever, the story doesn't matter so much as your view on it

I completely disagree with the video.

It is a fact that females are generally less strong physically. Now, saying "like a girl" isn't offensive, and anyone who takes it as an offense is overreacting. If "like a girl" is offensive, then so is "boys will be boys".

If you were to take the "boys will be boys" saying too seriously in the same way this video is treating "like a girl", you could say "Oh, that saying is offensive. It's saying all men are violent, mindless rough-housers who always argue". The truth is, it's just a little phrase playing on the observation that boys seem to sometimes argue over the most pointless things, and isn't trying to say that all boys are aggressive, etc.

I agree with you, Rivendare (Mutant X).

I agree that this video is pretty ridiculous because saying "like a girl" to a girl makes literally no sense.  Nobody does that.  

"Boys will be boys" is a perfect example of an equal phrase said about boys.  I don't take offense to it at all.  EVEN though it's usage is generally used when boys are doing something silly or dumb.  

Example hypothetical situations:
situation 1
person 1: Where's Jimmy?
person 2: Oh, he's out muddin' in his truck with his friends.
person 1: Didn't he just wash his truck yesterday?
person 2: Haha, yah he did.
person 1: *sigh* Boys will be boys.
person 2: Eeyup.

situation 2

person 1: Anyone seen Jimmy?
person 2: No I haven't.  He's not been at school for 2 days.
person 3: Didn't you guys hear?
person 1: No, what?
person 3: He and Billy got suspended.
person 2: No kidding!?  What happened?
person 3: They got into a fight at recess.  I guess Billy pissed off Jimmy because he told Jimmy's girlfriend about the party he went to on the weekend.
person 1: So then, how'd the fight go down?
person 3: Well, they got into an argument - Jimmy said "Dude I didn't even drink anything man, and now Sara thinks I did!  The *apples* did you even say anything for?" and then Billy said "That's a bunch of *apples* and you *apples* know it. *apples* if I care about your girlfriend anyway, that *apples* spread rumors about my sister"  Jimmy replied "Oh so now your *apples* talkin' about my gf?  *apples* you!" And then Jimmy pushed him into the wall, and the fight broke out.  Billy punched him in the gut, but Jimmy got back up and knocked him real good in the jaw, and I guess there was blood everywhere.
person 2: Holy *apples*... *sigh* boys will be boys, I guess.
person 1: Pretty much.  

SO.... basically, "boys will be boys" is as much an insult as "like a girl" - and I don't take offense to the former, so what's the big deal with the latter?  

There are plenty of girls who have proven to be just as good or better in sports, but the thing is, y'all gotta take into consideration that most girls have to train harder than boys in order for them to be as strong.  The fact of the matter is that the average female body structure has less muscle mass than the average male body structure.  Would you think it fair to match up a team of girls with a team of boys in a tug of war, with the same amount of people on both sides.  Derrr... I sure wouldn't.  

I know that this is gonna tick some people off (if I haven't already)... but why do you think there is no women's football?  And why do girls pitch underhand in softball?  (not that girl softball pitchers throw slow by any means!  I've seen some hardcore girl pitchers who throw harder than alot of the boys in baseball.) - but they throw underhand.  You may answer "because softballs are larger" - as to which I ask, why then, don't they use the same size of baseball?  Basically, using softballs gives a handicap to the batters.  It's easier to hit a softball (with a softball bat, which is larger than a baseball bat), than it is a baseball.  So, what's the deal?  I'm just saying that, if people are going to say that the phrase "like a girl" is offensive, then women's sports should be played the same way men's sports is played.  There should be men and women's football, baseball, basketball (in which, women's basketballs are smaller so it's easier to get into the hoop)... etc.  BUT guess what?  They aren't.  So, I just don't get it.  

NOW... I am sorry if I offended anyone.  I do not mean this to be interpreted incorrectly.  I do not think men are better than women.  At all.  It's just that there are plenty of actual differences that justify anyone to say that men and women are different.  They are different.  They do things differently.  And men and women have different physical body aspects.

FWIW, I'm a believer in chivalry.  I see it as being kind.  I see it as respect.  For those of you that disagree with chivalry - fine.  I don't really care.  I'm still going to do it.  I was raised in a traditional setting where being chivalrous is the proper thing to do.  Some argue that it pushes gender roles.  While that might be true, I believe that in some circumstances, gender roles are fine.  I still think that women deserve the same pay in equal jobs.  But I don't see how people can get mad at the gender role of males being chivalrous to females.  

• Brohoof 5

I loved this video. I identified with it a lot, and it even had me tearing up a bit. It makes me sad that, at some point in their upbringing, young girls learn that they ought to be ashamed of their own gender. I remember feeling that way as a girl - like being a girl was something I had to apologize for.

It's true that the phrase "like a girl" is said to men and boys in order to belittle and harass them, which is not ok at all. No sort of gendered harassment is ok. But the true problem is that the insult is inherently misogynistic. When you say that phrase to a boy in order to make some cheap attack against his masculinity, not only do boys learn that being feminine is shameful, but girls overhear it and also learn that being feminine is shameful. Everyone learns that to be "like a girl" means to be weak, silly, stupid, and laughable. In turn, girls start to see themselves as simply weak, silly, stupid, and laughable.

I'm all for breaking down this stereotype. It doesn't matter if you throw a million scientific facts my way saying, "But science says girls are generally weaker than men, therefore it's okay!!!" So what? Girls being generally smaller doesn't mean they can't be strong, smart, athletic, brave, etc and therefore deserve to have their gender used as a socially-accepted insult... and besides, constantly telling women and girls that they are weak doesn't do anyone any favors. We should be about uplifting people, not bringing people down.

And just to chime in further one some of the discussion that's gone on - I don't think "like a girl" is comparable to "boys will be boys." "Boys will be boys" is almost always used in a loving kind of way, like the boy who prompted the phrase is being charming or cute. For example, when a young male toddler accidentally knocks a lamp over or something, his parent might giggle and be like, "Boys will be boys I suppose!" The phrase is always used to excuse the boys' actions, make his actions seem endearing, and encourage the behavior further. Never is "like a girl" used in this way. No one ever tells someone, "Aww, you run like a girl!" in an attempt to be loving - it's always to be rude or belittling. For the record, I think both of the phrases are ridiculous and based on gendered stereotypes that end up harming people in the longrun, but it's important to make that distinction between the positive and negative connotations.

• Brohoof 5

I agree with you, Rivendare (Mutant X).

I agree that this video is pretty ridiculous because saying "like a girl" to a girl makes literally no sense.  Nobody does that.  

"Boys will be boys" is a perfect example of an equal phrase said about boys.  I don't take offense to it at all.  EVEN though it's usage is generally used when boys are doing something silly or dumb.  

Example hypothetical situations:

situation 1

person 1: Where's Jimmy?

person 2: Oh, he's out muddin' in his truck with his friends.

person 1: Didn't he just wash his truck yesterday?

person 2: Haha, yah he did.

person 1: *sigh* Boys will be boys.

person 2: Eeyup.

situation 2

person 1: Anyone seen Jimmy?

person 2: No I haven't.  He's not been at school for 2 days.

person 3: Didn't you guys hear?

person 1: No, what?

person 3: He and Billy got suspended.

person 2: No kidding!?  What happened?

person 3: They got into a fight at recess.  I guess Billy pissed off Jimmy because he told Jimmy's girlfriend about the party he went to on the weekend.

person 1: So then, how'd the fight go down?

person 3: Well, they got into an argument - Jimmy said "Dude I didn't even drink anything man, and now Sara thinks I did!  The *apples* did you even say anything for?" and then Billy said "That's a bunch of *apples* and you *apples* know it. *apples* if I care about your girlfriend anyway, that *apples* spread rumors about my sister"  Jimmy replied "Oh so now your *apples* talkin' about my gf?  *apples* you!" And then Jimmy pushed him into the wall, and the fight broke out.  Billy punched him in the gut, but Jimmy got back up and knocked him real good in the jaw, and I guess there was blood everywhere.

person 2: Holy *apples*... *sigh* boys will be boys, I guess.

person 1: Pretty much.  

SO.... basically, "boys will be boys" is as much an insult as "like a girl" - and I don't take offense to the former, so what's the big deal with the latter?  

There are plenty of girls who have proven to be just as good or better in sports, but the thing is, y'all gotta take into consideration that most girls have to train harder than boys in order for them to be as strong.  The fact of the matter is that the average female body structure has less muscle mass than the average male body structure.  Would you think it fair to match up a team of girls with a team of boys in a tug of war, with the same amount of people on both sides.  Derrr... I sure wouldn't.  

I know that this is gonna tick some people off (if I haven't already)... but why do you think there is no women's football?  And why do girls pitch underhand in softball?  (not that girl softball pitchers throw slow by any means!  I've seen some hardcore girl pitchers who throw harder than alot of the boys in baseball.) - but they throw underhand.  You may answer "because softballs are larger" - as to which I ask, why then, don't they use the same size of baseball?  Basically, using softballs gives a handicap to the batters.  It's easier to hit a softball (with a softball bat, which is larger than a baseball bat), than it is a baseball.  So, what's the deal?  I'm just saying that, if people are going to say that the phrase "like a girl" is offensive, then women's sports should be played the same way men's sports is played.  There should be men and women's football, baseball, basketball (in which, women's basketballs are smaller so it's easier to get into the hoop)... etc.  BUT guess what?  They aren't.  So, I just don't get it.  

NOW... I am sorry if I offended anyone.  I do not mean this to be interpreted incorrectly.  I do not think men are better than women.  At all.  It's just that there are plenty of actual differences that justify anyone to say that men and women are different.  They are different.  They do things differently.  And men and women have different physical body aspects.

FWIW, I'm a believer in chivalry.  I see it as being kind.  I see it as respect.  For those of you that disagree with chivalry - fine.  I don't really care.  I'm still going to do it.  I was raised in a traditional setting where being chivalrous is the proper thing to do.  Some argue that it pushes gender roles.  While that might be true, I believe that in some circumstances, gender roles are fine.  I still think that women deserve the same pay in equal jobs.  But I don't see how people can get mad at the gender role of males being chivalrous to females.  

I have to disagree. "Boys will be boy" is a phrase used dismissively when boys do something that people don't normally think is acceptable to do, like beating each other up, calling each other names,making a ruckus in public,ect. It leads to the idea that such actions are okay. But the accumulation of bad behaviors stays with you, and it may have been cute when you're 5, but when you're 25, it's called assault. Best to stop it early. As far as chivalry goes... it originates from the days of the knight in shining armor, when women were just shiny objects. Chivalry works with the assumption that women can't take care of themselves. It's also exclusive; a woman will never fit the adjective chivalrous even if she is displaying chivalrous actions. It's purely male-centric.  

(edited)

I don't think either term is acceptable. It is wrong to generalize a person regardless of their sex.

Well, I totally understand where you're coming from.  I myself don't actually say either phrase.  But, I'm just saying, I'm not bothered when I hear others say them.  But yes, generalizations are, ipso facto, fallacious.

I have to disagree. "Boys will be boy" is a phrase used dismissively when boys do something that people don't normally think is acceptable to do, like beating each other up, calling each other names,making a ruckus in public,ect. It leads to the idea that such actions are okay. But the accumulation of bad behaviors stays with you, and it may have been cute when you're 5, but when you're 25, it's called assault. Best to stop it early. As far as chivalry goes... it originates from the days of the knight in shining armor, when women were just shiny objects. Chivalry works with the assumption that women can't take care of themselves. It's also exclusive; a woman will never fit the adjective chivalrous even if she is displaying chivalrous actions. It's purely male-centric.  

Well, you're kind of wrong, seeing as, the term "boy" is not equivalent to the term "man" - and thus, "boys will be boys" is not applicable to 25 year olds (or really, any male of the age 21 or older).  And, when did I ever talk about "accumulation of behaviors"?  I didn't.  I really don't know where you were coming from there.  

Also, I don't really care where it (chivalry) came from.  Because, we don't use it in such a way to mean that they can't take care of themselves.  That's preposterous.  It is not male-centric at all.  Maybe thousands of years ago.  But the point is, it corresponds specifically to the person utilizing the actions, and what they feel they are doing when they act chivalrous.  You can argue with me all you want, but you've got no chance arguing with the traditional/country culture I grew up in and still live in.  We are taught to be mannerly.  It is a display of respect to be chivalrous.  NOT being chivalrous is DISrespectful where I live.  

Edited by Miles