Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Talking to inanimate objects

Discordly Cutiepie

Yop, i talk to inanimate Objects a lot.

I did it as a kid, still doing it as an adult.

I mean...dont really have anyone else.

As a kid, my Lamp and some of my plushies? I dont know what to correct english term is...my plush toys?

As a kid, i talked a lot to them and i actually talked back as them, i even made some sort of radio play with them.

It was fun.  :)

As an Adult, whenever i accidentally walk and kick something, i apologize.

I dont talk as much with inanimate objects as i did as a kid, but im still doing it from time to time.

I also talk to Plants. Not sure if they count as inanimate objects though,since they are alive.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I often yell and swear at my computer or iPad in anger when an app is too slow or crashes. :lol:  Seriously though, it's frustrating. 

Edited by DJ Gumball
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I find that having conversations with myself, inanimate objects, or fictional characters in media I am currently reading/watching/playing is a good way to vent off stress, and is a lot healthier than taking my frustration out on my loved ones.

In the words of Santiago from "The Old Man and the Sea"

If the others heard me talking out loud they would think that I am crazy. But since I am not, I do not care.

Edited by Hocus Pocus

I find that having conversations with myself, inanimate objects, or fictional characters in media I am currently reading/watching/playing is a good way to vent off stress, and is a lot healthier than taking my frustration out on my loved ones.

I have noticed this too, so I fully agree with this. I always feel a little calmer when I vent to some of my plushies or hug them tightly to relieve stress. It's a good cope mechanism that I find comfortable too. 

I do this sometimes, too! :P A lot of the time when I'm not talking to someone else, I'm having a nice conversation with myself (:o), but often times I do chat to inanimate objects. I frequently ask my computer why it's running so slow, and question my phone when it loses the WiFi signal. When I'm leaving to go on vacation I say goodbye to pretty much everything I'm not taking with me. My family thinks I'm mad, but I just really like my home! :squee:

This is probably relevant right now - when I took a nap earlier today, I told my plush shark that he shouldn't wake me up. I woke up by myself so he did what I told him to. 

• 2 years later...
17 hours ago, Midnight Solace said:

Sometimes I like to talk to my Twilight plushie. :twismile: The plushie itself may be inanimate, but Twilight herself is there with me. It's kinda hard to explain. :twi:

I know what you mean. I like talk to my Rainbow Dash plushie. I even talk to the pictures of Coloratura I have on my wall, and believe that she is there listening to me.

Edited by ILoveRara
  • Brohoof 3

9 hours ago, Midnight Solace said:

Sometimes I like to talk to my Twilight plushie. :twismile: The plushie itself may be inanimate, but Twilight herself is there with me. It's kinda hard to explain. :twi:

I do the same,

usually I can her her reply

I'll talk to electronics and mechanical equipment that I'm working on. I've done it since I was a kid, so I guess it just carried over into adulthood.

• Brohoof 1

No, usually not. The only thing that can happen is when something don't work or makes trouble (for example my computer or my car) that I shout on it and say things like: "Come on, don't let me hang here!" or similar stuff. But this is just to get rid of my anger from this situation.

To my shadow: "well it's just you and me again against the world."

To a whiskey: "you completed me."

To a dying laptop: Oh c'mon work damnit!  

• 3 months later...