Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[4chan] Operation: Shell Shock

Rainbow S.D.

(edited)

So according to KnowYourMeme, 4chan has started an "operation" to punish these 2 teenage girls. Here's a quote from the website. You can read more here.

In July 2014, a video was posted to Facebook by two Florida teenage girls in which they attempt to set a rare gopher tortoise on fire several times before thrashing the animal against the pavement and stomping it to death.

They even found the addresses and schools for these people

Do you think /b/ went overboard? What do you think about it?

Edited by SkyBound

(edited)

Oh boy, here we go again. The same thing happened to those kids who bullied the bus monitor.

inb4 pizza's and building materials shall soon be delievered to their homes.

Edited by Guest

Obviously doing such a cruel thing to an animal should be punished.

But 4chan isn't exactly know for it's wisdom and restraint. This will probably end up going too far.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Sigh. 4chan's operations. I have not even been close to 4chan's operations, but I have viewed similar.

A while back, I resigned from being one of the highest ranking members, as well as a staff member, of an elite, invite-only forum community which was well-known among people involved in the 'industry' which the community was based on. In the forum, people would share their knowledge of ways of operate in this 'industry', and people would trade (inc. money in the thousands of dollars) the goods obtained from this 'industry'. 

Unfortunately, we'd have people being banned for leaking this knowledge to outside forums, and people being banned for scamming (even up to the thousands of dollars). Many times, there would be vigilante members who would dox (definitions here and here) the banned user (a rule was that if the member was banned, then all rights to 'protection' would be removed), and do many bad things, including (but not limited to): sending gross/vulgar/inappropriate items to the member's address; calling pizza companies to the banned member's house; call SWAT teams to the banned member's house (swatting) and so on and so forth.

This was one of the reasons why I stepped down and never looked back to this community: these dramas would be too often. The people there had a mentality that this would be accepted. Too many times I had to step in and stop these occurences from happening.

4chan is not only no different, but even worse. Due to the anonymity of 4chan users, people can do this under proxies under the mentality that they would not be caught. In their operations, they intend to wreck people's lives. The people behind this tend to be power-hungry thirteen year olds who think they're doing good for the world. 

In this case, these teenage girls will probably never find decent education. They will never find decent jobs. In the short term, they will contemplate suicide. 

Teenagers can always be corrected and learn, but they can also be broken very easily. 4chan has done the latter and ignored the former. If somebody had just reported this instance to the police, then the former would happen, and the latter would be prevented.

I've seen many, many bad things from the community I mentioned, and I heavily despite these happenings. The people behind this operation and other operations are sick people. They need to find help.

Edited by ThePurpleK
  • Brohoof 4

Sigh. 4chan's operations. I have not even been close to 4chan's operations, but I have viewed similar.

A while back, I resigned from being one of the highest ranking members, as well as a staff member, of an elite, invite-only forum community which was well-known among people involved in the 'industry' which the community was based on. In the forum, people would share their knowledge of ways of operate in this 'industry', and people would trade (inc. money in the thousands of dollars) the goods obtained from this 'industry'. 

Unfortunately, we'd have people being banned for leaking this knowledge to outside forums, and people being banned for scamming (even up to the thousands of dollars). Many times, there would be vigilante members who would dox (definitions here and here) the banned user (a rule was that if the member was banned, then all rights to 'protection' would be removed), and do many bad things, including (but not limited to): sending gross/vulgar/inappropriate items to the member's address; calling pizza companies to the banned member's house; call SWAT teams to the banned member's house (swatting) and so on and so forth.

This was one of the reasons why I stepped down and never looked back to this community: these dramas would be too often. The people there had a mentality that this would be accepted. Too many times I had to step in and stop these occurences from happening.

4chan is not only no different, but even worse. Due to the anonymity of 4chan users, people can do this under proxies under the mentality that they would not be caught. In their operations, they intend to wreck people's lives. The people behind this tend to be power-hungry thirteen year olds who think they're doing good for the world. 

In this case, these teenage girls will probably never find decent education. They will never find decent jobs. In the short term, they will contemplate suicide. 

Teenagers can always be corrected and learn, but they can also be broken very easily. 4chan has done the latter and ignored the former. If somebody had just reported this instance to the police, then the former would happen, and the latter would be prevented.

I've seen many, many bad things from the community I mentioned, and I heavily despite these happenings. The people behind this operation and other operations are sick people. They need to find help.

I'm with you on this. What these girls did is revolting, no one of sound mind would question that. However, this manner of dealing with the situation is childish, destructive, and will ultimately do nothing of value. Ridiculous mass harassment of this nature is completely useless, something that the "vigilantes" of sites like 4chan, tumblr, and reddit need to realize. You can't fight fire with fire, especially when you're just blindly flailing around with a blowtorch.

• Brohoof 4

Surprisingly i'm with 4chan on this one. I'll sit back with popcorn nontheless.

• Brohoof 1

I saw the video, and while I am against witch hunts these girls need to be brought to justice by having their parents and school counselors informed immediately of their actions. Both of them show complete disregard for life and show appalling cruelty to the turtle in the video. They need to seek help from a psychiatrist because they show no empathy whatsoever after doing harm to another creature like that

• Brohoof 3

Good for /b/. Hopefully no one goes too far, but the girls deserve this.

Good for /b/? Do you even know what these operations consist of? Do you know that what 4chan have done to the girls would have forced them to attempt suicide by now due to the sick actions of the vigilantes? I don't blame the girls - they're teenagers. They just need to accept responsibility, (maybe go to jail) speak with a psychiatrist and they will never do anything of that sort again. But DOX them, SWAT them and a few days later, they're nothing but full of anger, hate and sorrow. Teenagers don't deserve this.

Surprisingly i'm with 4chan on this one. I'll sit back with popcorn nontheless.

Why would you say that? Do you even know what these operations consist of? See above.

/b/ always go to far, its their job. I just hang around for the keks 

And tbh, I think 4chin might be doing something slightly better then what they usually do. I mean, at least they have a reason to do it. 

• Brohoof 1

Anyone else find the operation name funny?

No?

Well, good, because I didn't!

Aaah, anyways, I am not aware of 4chan's "operations", but if there's anything I know about the community, it's that i'll feel reluctantly sorry for these girls afterwards.

I say "reluctantly" because the idiots committed a crime. C'mon, what has a turtle ever done to you?

The reason why police exist is for justice. But 4chan's idea of justice is unjust. They are being criminals in themselves by getting satisfaction out of harassing teenagers because they feel like the teenagers deserve it. Likewise, I won't psychologically abuse you for doing something wrong that you will live to regret when you can change.

Good for /b/? Do you even know what these operations consist of? Do you know that what 4chan have done to the girls would have forced them to attempt suicide by now due to the sick actions of the vigilantes? I don't blame the girls - they're teenagers. They just need to accept responsibility, (maybe go to jail) speak with a psychiatrist and they will never do anything of that sort again. But DOX them, SWAT them and a few days later, they're nothing but full of anger, hate and sorrow. Teenagers don't deserve this.

Why would you say that? Do you even know what these operations consist of? See above.

There are bronies who have committed beastiality before. Does that apply to all bronies?

(edited)

There are bronies who have committed beastiality before. Does that apply to all bronies?

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say 'that'. If it's the harassment, no, what people do in these 'operations' should never happen to anybody unless in extreme situations. Period. What the girls did was unacceptable. But they should have had police speak to them, and have their case referred to other bodies, and once the girls are out of whatever they would have to go through (be it jail or psychiatry), they will walk out as changed, mature women. Meanwhile, these disgusting, sick, immature, twisted fourteen year old boys thinking that they are l33t h4ck3rs who must protect the justice of the country turn these women into a psychological nightmare.

When a kitten you own bites you and it hurts, you can act defensively, and then follow up by teaching the kitten that biting is wrong. But you don't decide to stamp on the kitten's head, kick it around your living room, decapitate it and smear its head on your bed and sleep in it, then eat its dead remains, happy that you've rid the world of a terrible kitten. The latter is what 4chan does.

And believe me, I have seen members of the community (see my post here) I used to staff do exactly what 4chan members tend to do in these operations just because banned members leaked important knowledge, and last I heard, one of the banned members tried to commit suicide, all because of what happened on the internet.

And those of you condoning 4chan's behaviour should know that you are advocating thirteen year old monsters decapitating kittens for the fun of it.

Edited by ThePurpleK

When a kitten you own bites you and it hurts, you can act defensively, and then follow up by teaching the kitten that biting is wrong. But you don't decide to stamp on the kitten's head, kick it around your living room, decapitate it and smear its head on your bed and sleep in it, then eat its dead remains.

Yes I do.

Anywho, my point was, you can't judge a community based on past actions, because a community is more than one person. 

• Brohoof 3

Is it wrong that the first thing I thought when I read this was whenever the turtles die in Turtles in Time and the Arcade Game?
But to the point, fuck these two bitches for seriously harming a rare creature. No creature should be subjected to torture like that!  :angry:

• Brohoof 1

@@ThePurpleK

Darlin', I am not the kind of person to hold sympathy. This is the internet, they willingly put a video that, if you have any knowledge of the internet, was going to attract all of the wrong types of attention. They were asking for it.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Although not a rare tortoise, I found a dried up turtle a long way from a nearby pond one time. Seeing as it would otherwise die in the heat, I felt bad, and I tried to pick it up and carry it back to the pond. I jumped back when it snapped at me, so instead I grabbed an empty water bottle that someone littered on a nearby playground, walked half a football field's distance to fill it with pond water, walked another football field's distance up to the turtle, and poured the pond water on to it in order to cool it off. It was a long way to and fro, and the pond water was gross, but I kept on repeating this over and over again until the turtle managed to crawl a close enough distance to the pond to the point where I could leave the turtle alone and it would be okay. I have autism, and I'm more sympathetic than these girls are. They need to see a psychiatrist.

However, members of /b/ aren't psychiatrists. They're Internet Vikings who pillage websites and ruin people's lives whenever they please. These girls are only going to be made bitter, which will probably worsen their sadistic nature.

Edited by Asterisk Propernoun
  • Brohoof 1

While no creature should be abused like that, all anonimuse is going to do is ddos, dox them, and order pizzas. All they should do is just find their information, and give it to the local police.

But then again, animuse hasn't been a legitimate thing since they got infiltrated by the NSA and FBI, and their only competent hackers got outed and arrested by the FBI and local law enforcement agencies.

@@ThePurpleK, sorry but these two girls deserve it. They took a living creature and tried to light it on fire then stomped and smashed it to death.

That doesn't sound like, "Oh, I'm a teenager and life is confusing and I'm crying out for help."

That sounds like, "I'm an emotionless sociopath, I don't value life, I torture creatures smaller than me to feel powerful and I wonder what I'm gonna do next?"

But I agree, that the police need to be involved, however maybe some public shaming is in order. They either posted the video for 1) attention (which they're gonna get, now) or 2) because they just really enjoyed what they did (and if that's the case, I don't know if psychology is going to be all that useful).

Just my two cents on the matter.

• Brohoof 6