Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Memorizing song lyrics.

SkyDream

(I didn't put this in the media forum below because it's not about any specific song or band or anything. Hope nobody minds.)

So on a scale of 1 to "I'm awesome at this" how easily do you memorize song lyrics, either consciously or unconsciously?

I think I'm fairly horrible at it. Whenever I'm listening to music, I tend to focus on the tone and mood of the song, as well as the effectiveness of the rhyme scheme. The message is also important. Somehow the words, which make up the message, actually get lost in my head, and even though the message is definitely felt, the words themselves get lost. I have no idea how it happens.

I'm mostly starting this topic because I just managed to repeat a whole verse of Pegasus Device to myself in my head without realizing I was doing it, and I did a tiny little cheer to myself to celebrate. Yeah I was pretty chuffed. :P

I also have this coworker at work, a 38 year old laid-back dude with a wife and kids, who seems to be able to sing just about any song I've ever heard (and never heard) effortlessly. He's always breaking into song at the drop of a hat. I don't know how he memorizes lyrics so effortlessly while I can't even memorize my one favorite song even halfway.

• Brohoof 4

"I'm amazing at this".

God dang, I just can't stop this. I can usually hear a song once, start to like it, listen to it once more, and have it down. In fact, I have a partial list of what ALBUMS I've memorized.

Welcome To The Masquerade

Until We Have Faces

From All Sides

The End Is Where We Begin

Comatose

Rise

We As Human

Burning Satellites

Yeah... I've got a problem... XD

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, for me, I can memorize song lyrics pretty easy-ish. :3

When I love a song and listen to it often the lyrics stick into my brain and never come out! ^^

So I'd say 9/I'm Awesome at This!

Edited by ~PrincessOfWub~
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not entirely sure seeing as I don't pay a ton of attention to my memorizing process for lyrics frankly.

However I usually have a time or two I'll listen, then I might listen again and this time try to sing it, probably underconfident quite a lot, then I'll sing a bit more confidently, and I'll start to get things.

Then if I feel like I really want to make sure I know the lyrics, I go look up a lyrics sheet, and make sure I'm hearing all the words right, for some reason I always end up mis-hearing a word in a song, idk how, maybe it's the same reason that I don't quite understand people always in conversations for whatever reason.

But after fixing that I usually have it down, more or less, if I'm trying to record myself I might mess up, and if I'm not then I might not articulate or enunciate on words as much, but usually after a couple times listening I have most of the lyrics down if I'm listening to the song.

Without the song it may take a few more tries, but I can get it fairly quickly normally.

It also depends simply upon the song, or how much effort I'm putting into learning the lyrics, stuff like that. 

So it depends, i'd say I'm like average, I wouldn't say I excel at it, but I wouldn't say I have a bunch of trouble really either.

I don't know if I'm quite an I'm awesome at this, but I'm certainly somewhere around This comes pretty dang naturally to me. Rote memorization is one thing I'm pretty good at, be it lyrics, instrumental music, lines of poetry or prose, or even random digits—my Facebook password is 62 digits long, containing the numerals 0–9 and every letter of the alphabet, both uppercase and lowercase, once and in random order.

I've habitually memorized song lyrics for as long as I can remember. I didn't have an iPod when I was a kid, so if I wanted to hear a song, I had to sing it or at least play it in my head. So these days, for a song of average length with clear and reasonably understandable lyrics, I can usually get the lyrics memorized with about an hour or less of focused listening and mental repetition.

on a scale to 1/10 a 100, my most loved genre is rap so there is lots of lyrics, so after playing the song and looking up the lyrics, at 2 plays i have already memorized the whole song easily.

and even now i still dont forget them, i still remember the songs i learned last year.

• Brohoof 1

I've trained my self to stop memorizing lyrics, but it doesn't work all the time. When I want to I'd say 9/10. 

I've trained my self to stop memorizing lyrics, but it doesn't work all the time. When I want to I'd say 9/10. 

why would you train yourself to stop memorizing lyrics.

why would you train yourself to stop memorizing lyrics.

Keeps the song from become stale ... you know your favorite song or movie ... imagine for a moment you could erase it from your memory and then experience for the first time all over again. While I still can buy a MIB memory wiper, there are two things can kinda close to that: forgetting the song exists and then hearing it my happenstance, or trying not to remember every line an chord.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Super easy task for me. I'm even able to pick up on foreign songs pretty easy, like Oomph! - Labyrinth for example. Memorizing movies is also extremely easy for me. Chances are, if it's something I enjoy and have seen/heard only a couple times, I've got it down.

A Godsmack song come on the radio the other day that I've not heard for almost 8 years or so I think, still was able to belt it out while I cruised down the road. lol

Edited by The Mane-iac

I want to believe I am decent at it but compared to others shoot I am probably terrible. I have to listen to a song a good number of times to get it down. But then again it depends on what artist I am listening too.

I don't listen to songs in English anymore, so I can't really memorize the lyrics exactly (I do look up translations of them of course).

The one exception is for French songs; I can speak some French so occaisonally I'll get a song stuck in my head, but that's about as far as I'll get.

It's about a 7 outta 10 for me. It takes me a bit, but it just kinda happens before I realize it..

Lemme think....albums that I have fully memorized....

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Eagles - The Long Run
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Megadeth - Countdown To Extinction

Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Rush - 2112

Van Halen - Fair Warning

And I suppose I could list a number of notable songs (and their lengths) that I have memorized that aren't on any of those albums....

Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (41:58)
Dream Theater - Octavarium (24:00)

Dream Theater - The Count Of Tuscany (19:16)
Dream Theater - The Best Of Times (13:09)
Dream Theater - A Nightmare To Remember (16:11)
Dream Theater - The Ministry Of Lost Souls (14:57)
Dream Theater - Misunderstood (9:33)
Instanzia - The Desert Fox (11:12)
Judas Priest - Cathedral Spires (9:17)

• Brohoof 1

Unless it's in a foreign language, then I can remember almost any song! I specialize in raps, which are surprisingly easier. :P

• 8 years later...