Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology i think there's something wrong with my computer. Help?

Espurr

I think there's something wrong with my computer. Sometimes I'll be watching a video on youtube and the sound on my computer will stop working all on it's own. I have a windows 8 so I don't know if it's supposed to do that possibly because I had a windows 7 for years. I don't know if it would have an issue and I don't know a lot about computers. Any advice?

I tend to have a similar issue, however I need to ask you this, so it will be easier for me to offer you a suggestion, :D:

1. When did this problem occur?
  2. What was affected?
  3. Were there any other programs open?
  4. What was the systems response (slow, frozen screen, black screen)?
  5. Did a message pop up?

Try youtube in another browser?

If your sound device is a PCI card then it could have gone faulty, which would lead to your computer failing to boot if not removed. They cost like 8 dollars on ebay.

worst advice.

if you want "better audio", get a DAC.

Try youtube in another browser?

worst advice.

if you want "better audio", get a DAC.

Might be overkill if someone is okay with integrated sound, which is what those eight dollar deals are, except on a card.

I tend to have a similar issue, however I need to ask you this, so it will be easier for me to offer you a suggestion, :D:

1. When did this problem occur?
  2. What was affected?
  3. Were there any other programs open?
  4. What was the systems response (slow, frozen screen, black screen)?
  5. Did a message pop up?

1. It started this month actually.

2. The sound. It stopped working.

3. No. But I had another tab open if that counts.

4. The sound just refused to work and the video I was watching said there was an error.

5. No, well unless the video I was watching counts. It stopped working and it said there was an error. And when I finally got the video to work, sometimes there would be no sound.

Does this problem only occur on Youtube or in other programs as well ?

Click on the sound icon on the bottom right of the screen and check whether the browser is actually outputting the sound.

(edited)

1. It started this month actually.

2. The sound. It stopped working.

3. No. But I had another tab open if that counts.

4. The sound just refused to work and the video I was watching said there was an error.

5. No, well unless the video I was watching counts. It stopped working and it said there was an error. And when I finally got the video to work, sometimes there would be no sound.

Okay.  I may know the problem, b/c if you have multiple tabs opened, along with youtube, you'll usually get the "unresponsive shockwave player plug-in" error.  That causes the system to slow down, and sometimes freeze b/c the processes.  However, that started occurring when Youtube started updating with these crappy ads and site add-ons.   It can also occur if you are on a forum, b/c that takes up a lot, tbh. 

Edited by Thunder-Wing

Okay.  I may know the problem, b/c if you have multiple tabs opened, along with youtube, you'll usually get the "unresponsive shockwave player plug-in" error.  That causes the system to slow down, and sometimes freeze b/c the processes.  However, that started occurring when Youtube started updating with these crappy ads and site add-ons.   It can also occur if you are on a forum, b/c that takes up a lot, tbh. 

So it's youtube's fault. Well, that sucks. But thanks for the help.

Not Youtube's fault. Shockwave.

:lol:, you beat me to it.    Shockwave is the problem.   I get it all the time when i open up multiple tabs. 

:lol:, you beat me to it.    Shockwave is the problem.   I get it all the time when i open up multiple tabs. 

Is shockwave on computers naturally? Maybe not that word exactly, but you get what I mean.

(edited)

Is shockwave on computers naturally? Maybe not that word exactly, but you get what I mean.

Adobe Shockwave is a media program that allows you to watch videos on the internet.  Specifically Youtube.  However, due to the number of ads and bullshit Youtube has done, a lot of viewers may run into the Shockwave problem, resulting in the video to crash.   Its common, and yes, its naturally on computers once you open up the internet.   Basically, Adobe plays a key role in computers, specifically the internet.

Edited by Thunder-Wing

Adobe Shockwave is a media program that allows you to watch videos on the internet.  Specifically Youtube.  However, due to the number of ads and bullshit Youtube has done, a lot of viewers may run into the Shockwave problem, resulting in the video to crash.   Its common, and yes, its naturally on computers once you open up the internet.   Basically, Adobe plays a key role in computers, specifically the internet.

So it's not exactly fixable?

So it's not exactly fixable?

No, it's not. You will have to wait for a hypothetical future update.

But, you can minimize its chances of crashing by using another browser. I've noticed that the crashing occurs more commonly on Chrome and almost never on IE or Opera.

The first course of action would be to check and make sure you have everything up to date from the Adobe website. I've never run into this issue so it can't be completely unfixable.

I do use adblock plus though, so maybe that keeps things in check by not allowing the ads to play?