Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your favorite old/classic cars

SOULEATERROX

I bet Mopar fanboys come up to you and say "seven oh seven".

I have sat in a GT500, not much more than a normal Mustang though.

It's been upgraded to Super Snake-specs. To put that into perspective, that's 850 horsepower available at disposal at any time.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't have to pay for the $30,000 conversion, nor did I have to pay for the car in the first place. Honestly, I could send it back and have them do the Shelby 1000 upgrade, if I wanted to. I could strap a bottle of nitrous to it if I wanted to. Hell, I could just run race fuel in it, and it would still see a power bump from where it is now. Mopar fanboys ain't got nothing on Carroll Shelby.

I said hypothetically, I could do all that. The car is fine as it sits. It's an absolute terror on the streets, it runs on the strip like no tomorrow, and it looks absolutely killer standing still. I've had it at the strip. I pedaled an 11-second flat quarter mile at 135 miles an hour, on street tires, and premium octane.

• Brohoof 1

This is a difficult question as there are many, my favorites are from Dodge.

First of all the Dodge Charger 1969 is a beauty then of course the Challenger 1970 to name the old classic ones.

1969BlackDodgeChargerRT.jpg

1970-Dodge-Challenger-Black-Wallpaper.jp

Though it may not be old, it surely will become classic the Dodge Challenger Hellcat 2015.

2015_dodge_challenger_srt_hemi_hellcat_1

• Brohoof 2

4 doors don't go well with muscle cars.

Nonsense, four doors provide easier access to the back seat. *wink*

Any model that's not the old version. The four door models.

Well, technically the 1982-1987 Charger is an "old version". It was a pretty bitchin' hatchback...

Nonsense, four doors provide easier access to the back seat. *wink*

Well, technically the 1982-1987 Charger is an "old version". It was a pretty bitchin' hatchback...

I dunno, I like the compactness of 2 door old school muscles.

I would have to say the 1980's Corvette me and Corvette's go way back

nothing says sexy then an American Sports car

It's not that I have an issue with the 80's Corvettes, but they were seriously underpowered. Most years of the 80's barely topped 200 horsepower. They also grew heavier and heavier thanks to stricter safety standards.

The C7 Corvette may be a car that is a result of today's safety regulations, but it's still a magnificent achievement. It's actually the only car from GM that I would actually want to own. For all of the other cars they sell, I'd look elsewhere. 

However, Buick and Cadillac are much better than they were. I feel like GM are actually trying to make a good car today, but all of the recalls they have been experiencing have really killed it for me.

The C7 Corvette may be a car that is a result of today's safety regulations, but it's still a magnificent achievement. It's actually the only car from GM that I would actually want to own. For all of the other cars they sell, I'd look elsewhere. 

However, Buick and Cadillac are much better than they were. I feel like GM are actually trying to make a good car today, but all of the recalls they have been experiencing have really killed it for me.

The reason GM is finally making better cars is because the government doesn't control them any more. If you recall, GM declared bankruptcy a few years back and the government received majority control, slowly selling off its shares. It wasn't until recently that GM was in its own full control. You can blame the government for the reason Saturn, Hummer, Saab and Pontiac are no longer produced.

Fun fact: the only vehicles NOT recalled this year are the Chevrolet Volt and Cadillac ELR. Reason being: they have push button ignitions as opposed to the conventional ignitions in the rest of their cars.

And when I mean 80's Corvettes, I'm referring to late C3 and early C4 Corvettes. From 1975 on, power barely peaked 200 horsepower as the big blocks were dying out. The Corvette, power-wise, didn't really become relevant again until 1992, when 300 hp was standard.

Edited by Smash N Dash

The reason Saab isn't around any longer is because GM didn't make money on them, so they just cut them loose. Then, when a company would try to buy it, GM would block them. Hummer was sold to a Chinese company.Saturn was shut down completely. Pontiac had to go because the US government wouldn't bail them out unless they agreed to do so.

• Brohoof 1

I had an old 71 Chevy truck with the 350 eng/ 350auto trans with posi rear end. Stuck a holly 650 double pump and dual header with turbo mufs plus other goodies such as a larger cam and roll rockers, flex fan and excell ignition

Passed everything except a gas station lol

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 1

The reason Saab isn't around any longer is because GM didn't make money on them, so they just cut them loose. Then, when a company would try to buy it, GM would block them. Hummer was sold to a Chinese company.Saturn was shut down completely. Pontiac had to go because the US government wouldn't bail them out unless they agreed to do so.

No, the real reason Saab got cut by GM is because they had a different way of operating than what GM wanted. Saab's are regarded as some of the safest cars in the road. Problem with that is GM just wanted to use the time-honored tradition of badge engineering. Saab, decided to entirely re-engineer their vehicles in order to meet their expectations of safety, ones which far surpass the legal standard and GM's own. It occurred for years, with each model beefed up for safety under GM's nose. The whole bankruptcy fiasco was the nail in the coffin for Saab.

GM never blocked the sale of Saab. There were close to 30 bidders, and serious talks were only conducted with 3. One of which was Koenigsegg. The reason that deal fell through was because of the delays trying to coordinate the transition and getting the parties coordinated, primarily the banks that were involved. Then there was the brief deal with Spyker that didn't last, and now Saab is owned by an electric car company based in Sweden, where existing models are given full-electric powertrains.

Hummer actually got shut down. The Chinese deal never went through, because supposedly the Chinese ministry of commerce blocked the deal. Hummer is non-existant now.

Saturn suffered the same fate as Hummer: the buyer backed out, and GM had no other choice but to kill it.

Pontiac is an interesting story. Basically, the government mandated that Pontiac be removed as part of General Motors in part of the bankruptcy settlement. Pontiac was the only division NOT up for sale. GM wanted to keep Pontiac, everyone BUT the government wanted to keep Pontiac. A large volume Pontiac dealer from Michigan not only wanted to buy the brand and keep it running, but secured enough capital to buy the soon-to-be-closed factories, and continue production. GM didn't want to sell it though. Had GM been willing to sell the Pontiac brand, most likely it would still be here. At that point in time, there were several concepts in the skunkworks, including a Firebird/Trans Am based off the Camaro, a 5th generation GTO almost ready for production, and an El Camino/Caballero/G8 ST based of the G8.

• Brohoof 3

It seems I was working with old/slightly incorrect information.

Anyway...

I, like many people, I like old 911s, like this one:

used-1988-porsche-930_turbo-slantnose-94

The Porsche 930 Flachbau (slant nose).

Edited by Azure Flare
  • Brohoof 1