Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do YOU Think of School?

Celestial Panzerhund

No, I either don't hear back or I get those generic rejection letters every time. It's not just McDonald's. It's pretty much every single job I qualify for. I guess living in one of the most densely-populated and competitive job markets doesn't help either.

Ohhh, or it could be economically bad for those businesses?

Dollar bills to be spent on enjoying life of course.

Ohhhh, That's not quite paper, they're made of cotton, silk, lenin, and some kind of wood pulp...

Ohhhh, That's not quite paper, they're made of cotton, silk, lenin, and some kind of wood pulp...

Yes that's true, I'm using a slang term, money is designed to be durable and paper won't last very long as money.

At the lower levels (ie most american public schooling levels) it is entirely necessary in order to get to a higher education should the person in question wish to pursue it. Primary schools like that do need some re-structuring,  as they are rather lacking in modern courses and knowledge, courses that would benefit people more in the modern age of information and near intelligent machinery. However, unlike most modern academics, I do not think that college degrees are needed for all peoples. Today's modern workforce is becoming ever more technical and technical, and less degrees are actually being used than ever before. This giant push to get a college degree rather than have the average person attend a trade school in order to become technically proficient enough to be employed in that field is what has created the massive student debt. People are pushed to college, and end up with a womens studies degree, or a degree in ham sandwich making and stay in debt due to the unemployability factor of their now super specialized skill. So while I view primary schools as very important, secondary schools (ie college) are not nessicary for the population as a whole, as all it does is create a education economic inflation, and leaves your populace with degrees in pony literature, instead of the welders it needs.

Agreed. I would like to see more emphasis with non-profits on shorter non degree programs to start. The key is to get the hiring manager and HR to buy into the fact that a degree does not equal skill.

Example: I finally got our Human Resource department allow leeway on work experience and/or some of their education requirements in lieu of a validated portfolio and other credentials. I evaluate the portfolio (which HAS included hobbyist and vanity projects) and complete a report with my recommendation. I have one member of my team with 5 years freelance work in web dev ... no completed degree ... though he has taken courses in many different disciplines that I have found useful. I took a shot based on what he showed me he could do. Guy freaking blows my mind daily.

To be fair, I won't always take a chance. But I have ... and I haven't been burned.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It is painfully flawed in its current state. It is an assembly line made to pump out as many like-minded drones as fast as possible with as little knowledge as is required to do menial jobs. It is geared towards those who are average to below average and often punishes those who attempt to go against that. While education is no doubt of high importance the public school system's methods are atrocious at best.

Edited by Mortomor

Ohhh, or it could be economically bad for those businesses?

There's that, too. Why risk it on a younger, unknown worker when there are more experienced people proven to be able to work any job available?

Using slang cause you're lazy? :3 Or don't feel like sounding smart?

Probably a bit of both haha, I was expecting it to sound well in my post, "I really need that piece of paper so I can get many green papers."

There's that, too. Why risk it on a younger, unknown worker when there are more experienced people proven to be able to work any job available?

True that... but what if that person over qualifies?

Probably a bit of both haha, I was expecting it to sound well in my post, "I really need that piece of paper so I can get many green papers."

For some reason I thought you were talking about a green card. XD

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

True that... but what if that person over qualifies?

Really, I don't know and I don't care. They don't tell you if you overqualified or underqualified, or said something wrong on the application. They either leave you hanging or send you a generic email to tell you that you've been rejected. Companies these days are just too picky, and most of the time it matters more who you know or who you're related to than what you know or what you can do.

Edited by Wind Chaser

In my honest opinion everything before 10 grade is pretty pointless, because it can all be taught relatively easy in a parents home with online materials provided by the department of education. Plus I don't wanna have to pay tax dollars for some weird person to babysit my kids.

I think I'm glad to be out of ordinary school and actually studying meaningful stuff that'll get me a very profitable and respectable job in the future.

YE-YE!

I'm not gonna lie, I find school to be a big waste half the time. Now, I'm not saying it's completely useless, cause at certain points it has proven to be useful.

For example, cooking class has helped me in terms of well cooking. Math, although annoying, is something I'll use basically every single day. English is obviously a basic need in communicating thoughts onto a peice of paper or between other people in another way. And so on and so forth with certain subjects.

But with standardized testing, I'm just memorizing answers to pass the test. No joke, I literally can't recall pretty much anything I learned in world geo, US history, or world history. The only one I've retained anything from was government, and that's just because government and economics is pretty easy for me to wrap my head around. The rest just go in one ear and out the other after testing is done.

Although, I've got really nothing much to complain about. I've got one more year of high school and only have to take 6 classes this year as opposed to 8. I suppose drifting from one high school to another had its advantages.

I just like it because of the social interaction, of which I get very little of at home. Plus, I'm just one of those people who likes to work every once in a while.

As for being able to choose which subject you want learn in school, I agree with you to some degree. I think you should be able to choose which subject you want to learn in highschool. I say in highschool because you're more confident on what career you want in the future. But that's just my opinion.

I find it a little annoying that most topics covered in high school you have to take again in college, except at a cost. Perhaps at the high school level, students can choose a career path. Basically high school would be the new college... Would that work :huh:? It would still be required and at a reduced cost... Maybe? I dunno.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This is a tricky issue.  I do believe that the schools should provide a proper liberal arts education including mathematics, reading, writing, the sciences and history.  At the same time, it would be nice if there did exist a path to the trade skills for those who are not college bound.  The problem being is the trade skills would best be taught at the end of high school, and high school is when the liberal arts classes get truly rigorous, with subjects like science breaking into biology, chemistry and physics.  Perhaps we could start these disciplines a couple of years earlier.

Then there is the performance of the schools themselves.  While education is essential, I do believe the schools waste a lot of time and that the time of the students is often considered meaningless.  I think the reason for this is the schools actually perform two separate functions, that of an actual school which educates and that of a daycare center which exist solely to keep children out of other people's way.  I have become increasingly skeptical of the daycare function of schools.  I think the school's should stick to the business of teaching the curriculum and if they have nothing else to teach let the children leave early, whether that is to get a head start on the homework or just to enjoy themselves I do not care.  Then again, I treat wasting anybody's time, even that of children, as borderline criminal (oddly enough I don't have any problem enforcing discipline by hitting children though).

Oh, and then there is the social interaction aspects of schooling.  Where do I begin?  I don't think the sink or swim model of social interaction is ideal for a great many students (you know, those of the sink category).  Talk about a source of non-stop misery.  I almost want to add forcing children to attend middle school as a war crime under the Geneva Conventions for how absolutely awful I found junior high.  If anything, I think all the social interaction I received during school badly messed up my interpersonal skills.  Then again, I have no idea how to fix this, as there is far too little staff at most schools to exercise any control over this aspect of schooling.

Edited by Twilight Dirac
  • Brohoof 2

I hate it, with a blazing passion. I liked the social aspect, as it's the best way to meet friends, but everything else felt like a monumental waste of time and energy. I felt like I was spending more time learning useless facts that will be dumped onto a work sheet through tests, and subsequently forgotten soon after, instead of learning new information that will prepare me for the adult life. Can't say I miss it

• Brohoof 1

I hated high school, and I love college. Though college has helped me appreciate high school a little bit more. I think that a lot of skills picked up in school do have their purposes, and I'm grateful for the privilege of education. That's not to say it's perfect, because there is room for improvement.

I hated science class all throughout high school, and was convinced I'd never be able to use it. I remember thinking my chem teacher was ridiculous for telling me to write for science (actually I'd still never want that job, and she was just trying to pressure me into taking AP chem). At the same time, now that I'm of voting age and have interest in keeping up with current events in the world, I realize it's important to have a basic understanding of what's going on, on a ballot or in the world so I can make informed decisions on where to give my support. College science classes helped me see that.

On the whole, I think college is a much better set-up than high school. The student has a lot more control over their education, and there's less busy work and wasted time. I remember getting frustrated with the wasted time in all my high school classes. I would have rather taken that time to get a head start on my homework! I had waaaaay too much homework in high school. In college, the assignments usually have a clear purpose, and demand the appropriate time. The scheduling is also a lot better. There's less time spent in class, and there's more time to get assignments, papers, and studying done outside of class. I really enjoy the flexibility. 

I don't know if I necessarily enjoy school, but I'm glad I'm able attend. I'll probably stick around till grad school.