Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do YOU Think of School?

Celestial Panzerhund

I hated high school, and I love college. Though college has helped me appreciate high school a little bit more. I think that a lot of skills picked up in school do have their purposes, and I'm grateful for the privilege of education. That's not to say it's perfect, because there is room for improvement.

I hated science class all throughout high school, and was convinced I'd never be able to use it. I remember thinking my chem teacher was ridiculous for telling me to write for science (actually I'd still never want that job, and she was just trying to pressure me into taking AP chem). At the same time, now that I'm of voting age and have interest in keeping up with current events in the world, I realize it's important to have a basic understanding of what's going on, on a ballot or in the world so I can make informed decisions on where to give my support. College science classes helped me see that.

On the whole, I think college is a much better set-up than high school. The student has a lot more control over their education, and there's less busy work and wasted time. I remember getting frustrated with the wasted time in all my high school classes. I would have rather taken that time to get a head start on my homework! I had waaaaay too much homework in high school. In college, the assignments usually have a clear purpose, and demand the appropriate time. The scheduling is also a lot better. There's less time spent in class, and there's more time to get assignments, papers, and studying done outside of class. I really enjoy the flexibility. 

I don't know if I necessarily enjoy school, but I'm glad I'm able attend. I'll probably stick around till grad school.

Is college better than high school though?

I think it's a waste of time i can learn things from videogames actually i learned my English through games explains why i get A+ or B+

I have to agree with you there. I learned more from games (sometimes) than school itself. That's why I did so good in WWII because I have lots of games on WWII. So I made an A+ thanks to games. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have to agree with you there. I learned more from games (sometimes) than school itself. That's why I did so good in WWII because I have lots of games on WWII. So I made an A+ thanks to games. 

See? Who said games Can't be educational? side note:(i don't even touch the English book unless if there were missing words in the exam that's THE only time i touch my English book)

Edited by Deathstroke

See? Who said games Can't be educational? side note:(i don't even touch the English book unless if there were missing words in the exam that's THE only time i touch my English book)

Teachers... and parents... "Games ruin your brain!" Studies show that if a surgeon plays fast paced shooters, he can get surgeries done 20% faster and makes less mistakes by 20% as well.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

On the whole, I would say yes. I've enjoyed it more, anyway. It gives students more freedom to choose what classes they take. Even within the confines of liberal studies/gen. ed. there are still plenty of options, and the bulk of classes are for majors and minors. I like the lack of busy work and wasted time too. Generally college lectures and classes use all the time efficiently, something I didn't find to be true in high school. Professors can actually let you out early if you're done early, unlike high school. I also think the scheduling is a lot better. Instead of sitting in the same school for 6-8 hours a day (plus additional time for after school activities), I generally spend about 3 hours in class per day, maybe about 5 hours on a particularly long day, or around one hour on a short day. I find it easier because I can get more work done outside of class, have more time for extracurriculars, and just more down time in general. I also have a bit more say in what times I take the classes, than I did in high school... I really hated the high school schedule; it didn't work very well for me.

Edited by lincolnshirepony
  • Brohoof 1

On the whole, I would say yes. I've enjoyed it more, anyway. It gives students more freedom to choose what classes they take. Even within the confines of liberal studies/gen. ed. there are still plenty of options, and the bulk of classes are for majors and minors. I like the lack of busy work and wasted time too. Generally college lectures and classes use all the time efficiently, something I didn't find to be true in high school. Professors can actually let you out early if you're done early, unlike high school. I also think the scheduling is a lot better. Instead of sitting in same school for 6-8 hours a day (plus additional time for after school activities), I generally spend about 3 hours in class per day, maybe about 5 hours on a particularly long day, or around one hour on a short day. I find it easier because I can get more work done outside of class, have more time for extracurriculars, and just more down time in general. I also have a bit more say in what times I take the classes, than I did in high school... I really hated the high school schedule; it didn't work very well for me.

I hate high school schedules as well. College seems nicer than I thought when I went to one.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, college is great. Finding the right one for you helps a ton too, since there are so many different types of schools.

How is college though? I find it easy to skip classes (or get lost) because of the size of the place. Do they keep track somehow?

• Brohoof 1

How is college though? I find it easy to skip classes (or get lost) because of the size of the place. Do they keep track somehow?

My uni has a first day attendance policy. They'll drop you from the class if you miss the first day. After that... it depends. Large lectures are easy to skip, rarely will a prof want to bother with attendance. Some of the smaller classes I've been in took attendance, and made that part of my grade. One class gave unannounced quizzes. Actually, I've found one of the best ways to do well in college is to never skip class. Most professor's lectures are very helpful for understanding the subject matter, and paying attention and taking good notes will help a lot for assignments and exams.

Yeah, I definitely had to learn my way around at first so I didn't get lost. I had a map of the campus on my phone; that helped me learn on the go. I also went to all the buildings my classes were in before the start of the semester. As my first semester progressed, I learned where most of the important buildings and places were. A lot of majors tend to put their classes in the same area(s), so it gets easier the longer you're there.

This is sort of the flip side to getting more freedom in college; it requires a lot of responsibility for oneself. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, for me, it really depends on a lot of things. Some schools are more moderate than others in terms of assignments, homework and grades. Some are more malleable regarding the topics they offer, some others are way too strict about it. Some teachers know how to teach, some others really don't have a clue what they're doing. Hell, even your country's government can influence on your performance and satisfaction as a student! I've been to many different institutions - at least five throughout my whole academic life - and I could clearly see the difference between them.

Overall, though, the concept of school is pretty well-structured in my opinion. We get to interact with other people and see how their minds work (i.e. see if they're worthy our attention or not). Some professional dude on some random area of knowledge can also really change how we view the world around us. And as for the useless stuff we're sometimes forced to learn, well, at least it exercises our brains a little bit!

I know it sounds cliche, but it basically prepares us for the real deal that is right around the corner: the adulthood (or as I like to call it, the "hard difficulty setting"). Not to mention, it's something to keep us occupied with all the free time we have in our hands~

As I said, however, it really depends on the school we're talking about, so results may vary. Finding a truly decent school with truly decent employees in it, is definitely not an easy task.

• Brohoof 2

It is useful, but incredibly biased towards those of higher intelligence and more talented toward the subjects given. I do see it as doing a lot more help than harm, though.

My uni has a first day attendance policy. They'll drop you from the class if you miss the first day. After that... it depends. Large lectures are easy to skip, rarely will a prof want to bother with attendance. Some of the smaller classes I've been in took attendance, and made that part of my grade. One class gave unannounced quizzes. Actually, I've found one of the best ways to do well in college is to never skip class. Most professor's lectures are very helpful for understanding the subject matter, and paying attention and taking good notes will help a lot for assignments and exams.

Yeah, I definitely had to learn my way around at first so I didn't get lost. I had a map of the campus on my phone; that helped me learn on the go. I also went to all the buildings my classes were in before the start of the semester. As my first semester progressed, I learned where most of the important buildings and places were. A lot of majors tend to put their classes in the same area(s), so it gets easier the longer you're there.

This is sort of the flip side to getting more freedom in college; it requires a lot of responsibility for oneself.

Cool, but I can't stay focused in lectures. They're so boring to me that I dose off. XP

School's a mix for me. There are classes I love (English, Studio Arts, Media) and classes that don't interest me (Biology). I do understand the importance of education however and bear on with it.

Well, I have mixed feelings. I like some subjects, and making new friends is great, though it gets boring quite often. But hey! I've been graduated for 5 years now, so I ain't got to worry about it anymore. Instead, I have real life to worry about. A job, and bills. 

• Brohoof 1

I like learning new things, and I enjoyed learning of a lot of the topics in school, but unfortunately, school is not taught very well.  A lot of it is pointless busy work, including homework.  Honestly, I don't think school is all that condusive to learning, ironically.  I think it actually turns a lot of kids off to learning. 

• Brohoof 1

.-. What? I dun understand what you're going at here.

Yeah me neither. I'm saying that we spend a lot of time learning irrelevant information to our futures, so why not start focusing on our careers earlier?

Yeah me neither. I'm saying that we spend a lot of time learning irrelevant information to our futures, so why not start focusing on our careers earlier?

Okay! That makes more sense!

I like learning new things, and I enjoyed learning of a lot of the topics in school, but unfortunately, school is not taught very well.  A lot of it is pointless busy work, including homework.  Honestly, I don't think school is all that condusive to learning, ironically.  I think it actually turns a lot of kids off to learning. 

Yeah, I love learning too. I bet if they dwindled down on the work just a tad bit, the school year could be shorter and easier.

Well, I have mixed feelings. I like some subjects, and making new friends is great, though it gets boring quite often. But hey! I've been graduated for 5 years now, so I ain't got to worry about it anymore. Instead, I have real life to worry about. A job, and bills. 

I'd rather wanna worry life than grades.

I like school.

There I said it. Happy now? 

No, give me a 5,000 word essay on why you like school so much. And why I should be happy that you like school. This will count as 45% of your entire course grade.  :maud:

• Brohoof 1

I'd rather wanna worry life than grades.

Me too, and I can make new friends at a job, too. 

I don't like how school is standardized and expects all students to perform adequately with it. I mean I don't really want to learn something in math or science that I definitely don't need/use in the future. It's really a big headache where you have to keep up with all the subjects, despite how different everyone performs in their academics. It's like school for robots to me, but of course it would be difficult to set up specified learning for every individual.

But it's bearable since you see your friends everyday at school.

(edited)

How much I like school depends on the teacher/professor and the subject matter. Over the years, I've had some classes that were very interesting, and I loved them more than being at home on the internet. Others, however...

bY5Rt.png

If we're talking about grade school, then my opinions are practically summarized by this long essay. I first read it years ago, but it resonated with me so much that I still remember most of it.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 2

Not everything in school is interesting and yes, some days might be boring.
But even that is necessary. Because when you start working, you'll also have to do tasks that you don't like or think is a waste of time.

But keep in mind that you should be happy that you are able to get good education. Many children in for example Africa can only dream of that...

(edited)

It kinda is what it is, I guess. I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other.

There are some parts of school that I do like, and there are some that I don't. My least favorite part is that I always used to feel that some things learned in school were completely unnecessary, and that instead we should be learning "real life" skills.

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 1

It kinda is what it is, I guess. I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other.

There are some parts of school that I do like, and there are some that I don't. My least favorite part is that I always used to feel that some things learned in school were completely unnecessary, and that instead we should be learning "real life" skills.

School should have that.