Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do YOU Think of School?

Celestial Panzerhund

I never got any homework.

I consider myself lucky.

why not?

I think school is a complete waste of time. I think people should do first level education, and then have the freedom to drop out. No one should be forced to do anything, but this is useless. Imagine a child spending 14 years of their life studying history/math/languages, and growing up to become a farmer. Also, if I die within the next 6 years, I will have spent practically my whole life working my ass off. It shouldn't be forced upon anyone. Then again, I care little for the advancement of the human race as a whole.

Maybe because most kids don't have a solid idea of what they want to do in the future? 

If your idea was reality, there'd be a remarkable number of applicants to Astronaut school.

Because all 1st graders wanna be astronauts... If that actually happened, we would be out of the galaxy by now. Even though the voyagers are already JUST outside the galaxy and into deep space.

If we're talking about grade school, then my opinions are practically summarized by this long essay. I first read it years ago, but it resonated with me so much that I still remember most of it.

That is a really good essay, it provides a rather sound explanation as to why middle school is Hell on Earth.  I also like his essay on essays.

Because all 1st graders wanna be astronauts... If that actually happened, we would be out of the galaxy by now. Even though the voyagers are already JUST outside the galaxy and into deep space.

Solar system, not galaxy.  We will need FTL before we can talk about leaving the galaxy. 

Solar system, not galaxy.  We will need FTL before we can talk about leaving the galaxy. 

That's why if all the first graders wanted to be astronauts, they (maybe) can engineer something FTL. Because they would have the knowledge of space. Plus, we do have plasma... Why not make a ionized plasma engine? :3 There's your FTL.

Why not make a ionized plasma engine? :3 There's your FTL.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not, but those just give you higher specific impulse, they aren't FTL engines (except in Master of Orion 2). 

(edited)

Few people seem to understand me on this, but I actually loved high school. Even if I did not get the best of grades or had a stressful day, disliked homework, I for the most part always looked forward to school.

Though one thing that helped I feel was my love of reading and through such my love of the school library. My librarian was awesome, not only getting books for students that requested to seeing certain things the library didn't have but also having an anime/graphic novel section... which for me made the librarian cool in my book. My senor year I was actually able to be one of her teacher's aids, which gave me even more of an excuse to be in the library.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 3

I don't think you quite understood my point.

This is pretty much my perspective on School summarized:

prison.jpg

I needed to learn how to speak, write, and do basic maths. Everything else, I can (and did) figure out for myself in my own time without the structure and the ridiculous, nonsensical, limiting confines of a School. (Seriously? I got punished for wearing eyeliner? Get out, lol. Eyeliner is not somehow reducing my ability to learn).

I studied areas of interest that I wanted to. School was just a big distraction from everything I wanted to do. I never had any issue with educating myself on areas of interest, and I think most children are not given the option to either decide, or the opportunity to spend more time in areas of interest they're the strongest at. 

Most of it, it was a waste of time. Useless topics, patriotic bullshit, tons of LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNG homeworks, etc. And I had to deal with the worst species of "people" on top of that  >_> . University might be insanely hard academically speaking, but at least the bullshit is mostly gone  :lol:

(edited)

Okay! That makes more sense!

Yeah, I love learning too. I bet if they dwindled down on the work just a tad bit, the school year could be shorter and easier.

I'd rather wanna worry life than grades.

No, give me a 5,000 word essay on why you like school so much. And why I should be happy that you like school. This will count as 45% of your entire course grade. :maud:

Actually... If you weren't just some guy on the Internet, I'd say yes. 5000 words isn't THAAAT much... Plus, we don't have grades in England. So hah, something that doesn't better my argument atall.

I think what everyone else think. It's boring.

I like school, does this mean I am not human?

> Erase Humanity.exe

> Run Automaton.exe

> 20 goto 10 'Beep'

Edited by Neighsayer

If you weren't just some guy on the Internet, I'd say yes. 5000 words isn't THAAAT much... Plus, we don't have grades in England. So hah, something that doesn't better my argument atall.

I like school, does this mean I am not human?

> Erase Humanity.exe

> Run Automaton.exe

> 20 goto 10 'Beep'

Come to 'Murica and try our grade system. :3

(edited)

Come to 'Murica and try our grade system. :3

Yush :3

Oh, the whole burn off 94 characters thing again? Fine, mlpforums. This time, lets do...

I live in the tree tree, the tree tree. But I think it should have more trees.

Edited by Neighsayer

(edited)

I don't want to give a really long answer, but I do enjoy the actual education part when it came to my own experiences, I just didn't like some of the classmates I had to deal with, more so in high school. Part of me actually wished there were more high school days, but I might be the only one like that. I never liked missing a day because that meant making things up. I also didn't like the fact that my own school couldn't afford air conditioning everywhere. :angry: College is going really well right now, so overall I am happy with what I've done and I think it's ok.

Edited by Gernia

In general? I actually like it. I like learning, the more well rounded you are, the more intelligent you are, in my opinion. I think that people who can do any multiple up to 100 are not any smarter than someone who can build a computer in 30 seconds. It's smart in one and and only one particular area. However, if you can achieve mastery, or near mastery in several areas, that makes you a better value in the workplace and as a person.

What I don't like is how some teachers tolerate BS from students, how students disrespect the teacher, how students act so immature or do not do their part in assignments, or complain that they're getting a shot at continuing their family's legacy.

a neccesary evil.

for example: i ahte school, i hate the people who run the school,i hate about 40% of the teachers in school, i hate about 90% of the classmates, i hate about 100% of the forced activites (and i dont mean homework) you have to do in school, and i feel half the things they teached me there arent gonna be usefull at all in my line of work.

but i need it if i want to get a job that gives a decent pay and doesnt force me to do life threatining activities.

I hated it, got bullied and failed often yadda yadda yadda.

I graduated and I regretted not taking school seriously. Now I am a sorry person with not a single damn in the world to further my education.

In general? I actually like it. I like learning, the more well rounded you are, the more intelligent you are, in my opinion. I think that people who can do any multiple up to 100 are not any smarter than someone who can build a computer in 30 seconds. It's smart in one and and only one particular area. However, if you can achieve mastery, or near mastery in several areas, that makes you a better value in the workplace and as a person.

What I don't like is how some teachers tolerate BS from students, how students disrespect the teacher, how students act so immature or do not do their part in assignments, or complain that they're getting a shot at continuing their family's legacy.

WHY?... 

61f4b4f39ca69e7e1189c7a3cbb62b72.jpg

Just kidding.. We all have opinions ;) But I don't like school :I

I don't like school.... never have never will.

Two words: standardized testing. Enough to strike fear in any student's heart. In my particular school, they trained us to pass it since the first day, their tactics being pressure and fear. I didn't have a fun experience with the math portion when I failed it by one question. The school put me through hoops over it until they finally decided to just leave me alone and let me enter high school. Even now, I don't see the purpose in finding the area of a right triangle. Even worse than this is the students themselves. They're the typical teenagers - inconsiderate of others and just plain rude, afraid of anything they don't understand. Thank Celestia I found a forum with some sane people.