Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is anyone else "overly-thin"?

ReGen

For me I am kind of the opposite since I hit puberty I have gained muscle very quickly and combined with a weight lifting regimen became a monster. I do have a gut though so I still have a bit more fat than I think is probably healthy but though it won't be easy I know I can take care of that. Some people have unusually fast metabolisms and you might in fact be one of those people, but as you get older that will start to slow down and normalize. My brother used to have one of those insanely fast metabolisms, he was a twig for pretty much all of his childhood years and early teen years. He filled out in his late teen years with lean muscle mass and when he joined the military he really became quite buff. Now since he got out of the military though he is kind of getting a beer belly but he dosen't have as much weight to lose as I do at least.

There is such a thing as being underweight but ultimately what should matter is if you are healthy and even if you are on the skinny side so long as you are healthy than you shouldn't worry too much. Though I don't really know if you are underweight but if you do want to gain some pounds make sure you eat lots and lots of protein and increase your intake of healthy fats like Omega 3's and nuts as well. Strength training can also help of course for anyone new to that especially someone on the skinnier side I would recommend starting out slow with light weights and more reps and building up to heavier weights once you get down proper form and more clearly understand your limits. Lots of variety in routine is also crucial because once the body gets used to something it becomes harder and harder to get it to adapt to become stronger, this is a principle called "muscle confusion".

• Brohoof 1

Also ignore what society says is normal looking.  You can look at your ancestors to see what sort of genes you may have inherited.  You may have a thinner bone frame or a heavier one.  Also besides lifting weights there are other ways to exercise & gain muscle.  Personally I use resistance bands made by a certain company.  These can be switched out easily if I want to increase the resistance.  Calesthenics and other ways are good.  Though a good eating plan is important also.  Maybe it is normal for you to be what society and doctors in their imperfect knowledge may call to thin. 

I'm overly thick.  :smug:  :lol:

:mustache:

(don't know if anyone else has said that or not)

Pretty much a big-arsed ditto from me. XD

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I used to be throughout my childhood, but lately my metabolism has started going... D: I hate it, because I can't fit into much of anything cute anymore, yet I'm visibly still very thin if I'm wearing larger shirts. (which I do since I feel very self-conscious otherwise. So everybody's like "You're 'perfect'. Shut up" and I'm like "No... You don't understand..." lol)

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm on the underweight side of a healthy weight.

Of course I'm a girl so this is acceptable in society. : P

I'm 5'5 (and a half! :P) And weigh about 100 lbs. I have a small waistline and that's just how I'm built and I hate how some girls think of themselves because they're naturaly built another way.

Hmmm... who do you think has it worse in dealing with weight?? Girls or guys? (Possible new topic? It that a topic already?)

Edited by KatieBelle219

5'10" 120 lbs here. Always been skinny all my life, even before I cycled 1,700 miles and trekked up mountains. Don't see the point in fussing over what's always been normal to me. Always felt being skinny was a good thing; I don't eat as much and am much more agile. My mum is a little Korean lady and my pops is thin too...though if you looked at my older brothers you'd think it couldn't be genetic. One is a nutritionist and body builder on a steady diet of protein, another is in the U.S. Army Rangers, and the other is much taller than everyone & is a MP in the Air Force.

My little brother is a stick too, and we're the nerds of the family. Coinidence? :P

I'm 5'11" and I weigh 130 lbs. I'm pretty skinny for my age, but no one really says anything about it. Honestly, I'm happy with my physique. 

• Brohoof 1

5'9" over here weighing 160kg, I'm 15 so I am sure in a couple years time il be like 6'1 :)

Never been harassed about my weight but if you count being skinny as hell when you were like 9 then yeah

I'm on the underweight side of a healthy weight.

Of course I'm a girl so this is acceptable in society. : P

I'm 5'5 (and a half! :P) And weigh about 100 lbs. I have a small waistline and that's just how I'm built and I hate how some girls think of themselves because they're naturaly built another way.

Hmmm... who do you think has it worse in dealing with weight?? Girls or guys? (Possible new topic? It that a topic already?)

It might be off topic though I doubt it as the topic is about dealing with it. I would say both have it equally bad. There's no difference really, people might make fun of you if you're either underweight or overweight even normal weight. So gender doesn't matter I think, though when it comes to being overly thin girls have it better then guys.

It might be off topic though I doubt it as the topic is about dealing with it. I would say both have it equally bad. There's no difference really, people might make fun of you if you're either underweight or overweight even normal weight. So gender doesn't matter I think, though when it comes to being overly thin girls have it better then guys.

So there is a topic now, and we've determined that girls have it worse.

But  like you said, when it comes to being overly thin, guys do have it worse.

• Brohoof 1

When I was younger, I was 6.2 feet (190 cm) and weighed about 132 pounds (60 kg). I was skinny as heck. Then, a few years after I graduated from school, I started working out regulary and managed to gain 44 pounds (20 kg). And that is where I am today, haven't gained nor lost a single pound in several years since I stopped working out.

So if you want to gain weight, I suggest hitting the gym and make sure you eat the proper stuff afterwards. It may take a few months to get results, but it worked for me.

Oh, and I don't drink alcohol either... got a feeling that may have kept a few pounds off me during the years.

• 3 years later...

Yeah I used to be pretty underweight like 180/50 or something like that then all the doctors and were pestering me about it and I think it has gotten better.

But I have been too afraid to check my weight after that. And I don't particularly have much appetite at all it feels like I need to force the food down sometimes

Yeah, I was pretty underweight when I was like seven. My BMI is pretty healthy nowadays, but I should probably start improving my diet. :/

I'm not thin, nor am I fat, I'm healthy, some people I know are like skeletons.

I'm about 5'7" and I weigh about 8 stone (112 lbs).

Aswell as being 14 years of age,

I'm healthy and at a healthy BMI the last time I checked

(edited)

Im 3 months away from becoming 15, and i weigh about 84lbs. Im pretty strong for my size.

Ive always been small. I was born 3 months early and i never had any baby fat, so Im always cold.

I had a summer growth spurt two or three years ago, and Im going through one now, although it doesnt really do much on size or weight- I just eat a LOT more than I usually do.

My sister is one and half years younger than I am, and shes an inch taller than I am. Im still trying to determine whether shes slightly lighter, average, or slightly heavier than most others in her age. She is currently 96.5lbs.

I have no idea how tall my sister is nor do I know my own height.

Edited by Kitty_Cat
  • Brohoof 1

I used to be near-skeletal when I was around 11 or 12, mainly due to growth spurts at the time, plus a terrible lack of appetite. 

But now, at 17 years old, 5'11" & 180 lbs/12-ish stone (+/-), I'm pretty muscular and have filled out enough over the years to the point where I no longer look like a corpse. :D

Don't even get me started on my appetite nowadays, if it wasn't for exercise I'd have my own gravitational pull by now. :smug:

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...
(edited)

I mean, I'm relatively thin and slightly underweight, although I wouldn't describe myself as overly thin.

Edited by Nsxile

(edited)

I'm about 5'6" and weigh around 120 pounds. Which is the healthy average for a female. 

So...my answer is no on this one. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt