Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the portrayal of Zecora racist?

Rarity Paige Belle

It isn't racist so much as it is a stereotype. Stereotypes are not racist, they are simply a set of qualities one would assign to a particular type of person.

As for Zecora, she has nothing really negative about her shown thus far in the series, so I'd say at worst she is a positive stereotype due to her culture, dress, and style of speaking. From what I've seen from black Bronies, they like Zecora, so I think it's a non-issue.

Stereotypes can be racist, but not all of them.

I don't see why everyone's bent on making Zecora seem racist. She has the Equestrian equivalent of African heritage, and she talks in rhymes. So what?

• Brohoof 2

Racism implies a negative portrayal of a specific race. Zecora is not that, as she is generally the greatest. A positive stereotype might be more accurate, but I don't think I agree with that either. I think people mistake her potion making with a portrayal of voodoo, which isn't accurate. I don't think her accent makes her a stereotype, either. There's also the rhyming, I've never heard of an African stereotype involving rhyming. 

She has a background in something that we might see as being African like. I don't think this automatically makes her racist or a stereotype.

I would refer it as culture diversity. When most of Equestria seem to have this American/Middle-Age/European element and you suddenly put in an African Zebra, it does feel kind of weird. However, that awkwardness does not mean you're racist. Racism is when you purposely discriminate the individual due to his/her race.

Zecora wasn't exactly discriminated. She can come to Ponyville or whatever place if she wants but apparently she prefers Everfree forest. Sure, ponies feel funny around her; it's because she's different. I feel a bit funny around my uncle (who is African American) but that doesn't make me racist, b/c I didn't discriminate him (in fact he's pretty awesome and I enjoy hanging out with him)

^ This.

Racism is when one believes that a particular race is superior to another. Is it? No. Zecora is here for culture diversity. In fact, the very episode introducing Zecora revolved around learning that just because one is different, one should not be subject to discrimination and should instead be treated like everyone else.

• Brohoof 3

^ This.

Racism is when one believes that a particular race is superior to another. Is it? No. Zecora is here for culture diversity. In fact, the very episode introducing Zecora revolved around learning that just because one is different, one should not be subject to discrimination and should instead be treated like everyone else.

Correct. Without the superiority angle it isn't real racism. In truth Bridle Gossip focused more on prejudice views than racism.

Nope, Zecora is not a racist creation. Sometimes I feel that the term is overused these days.

Stereotyping of itself is not racist, it's how the stereotypes are used that makes them racist. 

For example, I'm sure everypony is familiar with this meme:

3871725-1373030102489649.png

This is negative stereotyping because it's meant to be insulting to Americans by taking the worst traits of American stereotypes and putting them all together. Zecora isn't meant to be insulting to Africans/Blacks 

Now if we take a look at characters like America from Hetalia or John Doe (Solider) from Team Fortress 2, this is positive stereotyping. Sure their traits are American stereotypes, but they're not meant to demean Americans in any way. These stereotypes are why we love the characters so much. I'd say Zecora falls into this category of using stereotypes to further her character's likability 

• Brohoof 1

Yo, Son. She ryhmes, does black magic, and lives in a jungle! If that ain't racist cuz, I don't know what is...

Well, assuming she is from some part of Africa judging by the accent, living in a "jungle" isn't racist, because there are jungles in Africa.

I don't understand how "Ryhming" is racist either, you're saying African Americans are known for rhyming? u wot m8?

And about the Black Magic, that's just part of her character.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Actually I have been to Kenya, and the vast majority of people are Christian or Muslim!

Sorry, I was talking about Haiti, and a majority of people are Christian or Muslim there too, but they still go to witchdoctors for "healing" and there are lots of sacrifices there.  Which in turn... doesn't make them much christian or muslim, that's why there is a lot of missions in those regions.

Edited by Acoustic Cloud

She doesn't seem racist, says the cat.

If anything, she seems the opposite of that.

At first, she seems like a token evil beast

looking only for ponies on which to feast.

She's then shown to be to be polite,

and you shouldn't judge someone at first sight.

Don't make me for what I do.

We all know you wanted to do it, too.

Nah. She likes her house, she chose to live their (probably practical for plants and the like). I'm the whitest man alive, i'd love to have my own hut in a deadly forest of death. I don't get why the Ponies feared her while the meat eating griffon with razor talons thats twice there size doesn't even bat an eyelid.

(edited)

Paging , you have a message in Sugar Cube Corner.

This show likes to have dichotomy, parallels, juxtaposition, and symmetry. Zecora isn't a stereotype, but she does fit a standard trope of a more mystical mentor with homespun wisdom. Celestia and Zecora have been magical mentors to Twilight ... in different ways.

Oddly enough, I personally have my own view that she may have been banished from her tribe due to her craft and their fear of it.

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 1

I feel like I can't really accurately shed light on this issue... since I'm white, it's hard for me to really know for sure.

I personally love Zecora. She's one of my favorite characters. But I have to admit that she conforms to some cultural stereotypes. Whether those stereotypes are insulting or not, I haven't been able to decide... I want to do all I can to avoid perpetuating racist and/or generally negative stereotypes, so I'm interested to hear some more debate about this.

Are there any people of color on this thread who have already posted or who would like to post their opinion about this? I ask because I would value their perspective on Zecora over a white person's perspective. It makes no sense for a bunch of white people to try and determine if something is racist against a certain group or not - that's not our area of expertise lol. Whether we like to admit it or not, our race and ethnicity determines what lens we see the world through. As a white person, I see the world through a privileged lens, and I may not notice subtle racism that goes on, though I try really hard. So yeah. If you feel so inclined (you're in no way obligated to) but if you're a brony or pegasister who is a poc, it would be awesome to hear your thoughts. <3

• Brohoof 1

It's a bit stereotypical, but her initial role in Bridle Gossip was less about HER and more about the lesson being taught. She hasn't received a ton of character development, but I don't see how it's necessary.

I also fail to see how anyone can see this as racist. Please, enlighten me

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I wouldn't go so far as to call her racist. Fairly stereotypical, and a little old school, yes, but to be fair, so is the pony culture around her, who seem to be in the 19th-early 20th century in terms of Western culture. At least Zecora is treated with respect, and is a friend of the ponies. If she was portrayed as a villain of sorts or something, maybe it'd be more racist. I'm probably not the right person to ask on this, because, as a white Canadian, I am not remotely African.

Edited by Tross
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not black, but as a Jew I feel more comfortable not being 100% part of standard Pony Culture.

I picked a head-canon which allowed a zebra-pony cultural mix character to represent me.  (thus the stripes and cutie mark)

Ok if someone thinks a zebra being portrayed as a native african and acts like a native african in a cartoon show is racist they are the racists

No, I think they are either misinformed or rushing to judgement. Throwing around the term racist is not something you should take lightly at all. Racism carries a lot of connotations, and calling someone a racist because they think a stereotype, even if it's positive, is racist does not warrant calling them a racist at all. In fact, to me it's kind of dangerous to throw around that term. I'd like to save it for the people who are actually racists and not a poster who honestly just wanted to talk about how they thought a particular character was a racist stereotype.

• Brohoof 3

Racially insensitive, maybe, but not racist. Keep in mind, her black voice actor seems not to have a problem with it.

Also, racism is oppression or hatred based solely on someone's race, not insensitivity toward stereotypes.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's only racist if they are showing negative aspects of the race she was based off of. Stereotypical? Probably, but defiantly not in the racist way.

Edited by Shenron00
  • Brohoof 2

It isn't racist so much as it is a stereotype. Stereotypes are not racist, they are simply a set of qualities one would assign to a particular type of person.

As for Zecora, she has nothing really negative about her shown thus far in the series, so I'd say at worst she is a positive stereotype due to her culture, dress, and style of speaking. From what I've seen from black Bronies, they like Zecora, so I think it's a non-issue.

And for a show aimed at kids, a positive stereotype is more common and expected to be how the character would be done, than to make her completely unique from a stereotype in every way. Stereotypes are often a stupid weapon for people to be judgmental and to label others, but a positive stereotype can be used to give kids an idea about other cultures and customs, without having to spend a large amount of time having to explain things in the show itself, something shows, especially kids shows, do not have the time for.

So no, it's not at all racist. Zecora's a bad-ass, she's been portrayed as nothing but such, and has the respect of every character we've seen since her premiere in Briddle Gossip, and becoming a normal citizen in Ponyville. She was intended to be the second 'wise, mysterious teacher character' for Twilight, after Celestia, and she's filled that role perfectly, as well as having done some branching out as well. Like Discord and a few other characters, she started out as a modest addition, that exploded into a hugely popular character.

• Brohoof 2