Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Celestia REALLY a good leader?

Azureth

This is something that's been on my mind. Is Celestia really that good of a leader?

For one, when NMM is about to come back and thus threaten her subjects what does she do? Put all her hope that her student will first off, realize the whole NMM thing (and the day before no less) then just tells her to go to Ponyville and make friends.

Okay, what had Twilight NOT been able to make friends? What if she had but she made 3 or 5? Either way things would've been messed up?

Same with all the other badies, let's let my subjects do all the work and put their lives in jeopardy even though I have highly trained royal soldiers/guards!

Also, is it just me or has Celestias "goddessness" kind of puttered out? When I first watched I thought Celestia was very wise, mysterious and all-powerful, but as of the end of S4 she definitely, at least to me, seems more and more of a "background" character that really isn't all that useful.

Just my thoughts.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Inb4   :maud:

Anyways im sure Celestia is a great leader and all,but you must remeber,she is being controlled by the writers and has no will of her own...or maybe..its all a part of her plan to seem like a "background character". :nom:

mlfw975_small.jpg

You are falling into her trap.

Edited by Pinkamena-Pills
  • Brohoof 2

Well, most people speculate that she allowed NMM to return, as that was the only way to get her sister back from the other plane of existence she was in (as they did say banished in the moon, not on it). And it also allowed her to test out that new Twilight she just spent however many years powerleveling, and also regain control of the EOH, as she had lost control over them after she banhammered luna. So with all the she gained after the return of NMM, it would seem like she just let Luna return as that would "bring out" the other EOH wielders, that as a powerful demigod, she no doubt had knowledge of. Either that or she was just rather lazy, and got the luckiest break in the history of talking cartoon ponies.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect

As for why she keeps getting her butt thrown around, this is why.

(edited)

She's okay.  Celestia is great for peace time affairs, not so great for when the Kingdom/Empire/City States are under attack thing (but then again, Equestria isn't under attack that often until it's a season opener or closer).

I figure she's much better at being the peace time ruler, the face of Equestria to be a happy civil liberal paradise  if using a Luna's micro-comic, she's much better at administration, formal appearances, civic duties and such.

Better suited for peace time, than war time. I mean, she`s a lot more ideal for running and administering the Kingdom/Empire/City State of Equestria.  She has general good judgement and good relations with ponies and is most of the time reasonable (most of the time).

to address other issues,

This is something that's been on my mind. Is Celestia really that good of a leader?

For one, when NMM is about to come back and thus threaten her subjects what does she do? Put all her hope that her student will first off, realize the whole NMM thing (and the day before no less) then just tells her to go to Ponyville and make friends.

Okay, what had Twilight NOT been able to make friends? What if she had but she made 3 or 5? Either way things would've been messed up?

Same with all the other badies, let's let my subjects do all the work and put their lives in jeopardy even though I have highly trained royal soldiers/guards!

Also, is it just me or has Celestias "goddessness" kind of puttered out? When I first watched I thought Celestia was very wise, mysterious and all-powerful, but as of the end of S4 she definitely, at least to me, seems more and more of a "background" character that really isn't all that useful.

Just my thoughts.

you must remeber,she is being controlled by the writers and has no will of her own. :nom:

Besides being brought down to committing poor mistakes when the plot requires it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect

As for why she keeps getting her butt thrown around, this is why.

(Meant to quote you, totally forgot.)

There seems to be also some vague over-arching themes of fatelism or predeterminism that is going on in the mlp:fim universe.

Yeah, it's been joked around that whenever the big bad villain comes around Celestia just hands it off to deus ex machina Twilight to go fix everything (several fan comics have had this as the gag).  Besides being the butt of the joke, it might be guessed that Celestia is grooming Twilight to become a princess (no not just simply adding wings) but giving her tasks with great responsibility that requires good judgement; Celestia might trying to building Twilight's character into being a good princess that can judge the situation and assess what needs to be done (of course some of the events happened by accident really, and others were just out of her hoofs).  I.e.  the situation with sealing up Discord into stone again, that was out of her hoofs because, Celestia and Luna were no longer bounded to the elements of harmony and couldn't really do jack-squat against imprisoning Discord again (that was all on Twilight and co.)  The same with Nightmare Moon and when the Princesses were kidnapped by Discord's vines.   And the Tirek situation ..... okay the plot required her to act like a moron for that one.

It seems if you have the elements of harmony, you have ultimate power and can just keep banishing villain as much you very well please (Nightmare Moon, Discord, Sombra, Tirek etc).  Celestia is no longer connected and distinctively no longer has that type of power but at least she can groom Twilight to have good judge of character in a situation.       

and where is

Edited by pony.colin

Well considering Celestia's ONE accomplishment since the series began is reversing Twilight's gotta have it spell and considering her security is severely lacking in her kingdom, I'd say not really. Hey, at least she hasn't had 6 wives! :squee:

Wait....six wives....mane six....Molestia....oh gawd :o

(edited)

I'd say so. She's not perfect, but she seems to try her best to be benevolent and relatively 'down-to-earth'

The show doesn't show enough of her good deeds because there's either not enough time, or showing her solving all the problems would take away the opportunity from the main characters.

Edited by Vixor

She's powerful, but not aggressive.

She's wise, compassionate and doesn't start shit with other nations.

A no-pushover pacifist. She is the ideal leader. Not perfect but representing what leaders should aspire to be.

She's a terrible leader. I like Celestia, but she gives off the vibe of "well everything turned out okay let me pretend I planned all this and everyone will think I did it LOL", such as the NMM incident. She's like "yo Twilite man u go do this fo me" and then becomes helpless (I mean what even happened to her) and then is like "yeah it was my MASTER PLAN".

I think she has redeeming qualities, such as her obvious good relations with her people and (seemingly) other nations, but then she makes stupid ideas like "let's release the Chaos God and make him nice". That really could have gone absolutely terribly, and it sort of counters her "wisdom"...XD

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Luna in my oppion would be a better leader celestia is like one of the mangers you have that take the credit for one of your ideas or anything you do. I also don't like the way she treats different ponys in the show.

post-27721-0-33768300-1406338239_thumb.png

Edited by Luna 831
  • Brohoof 1

This comic illustrates the Celestia delegating leadership:

hurricane_spitfire_by_doublewbrothers-d6

As funny as it is at times, I do wish we saw more of Celestia as a person, instead of some distant, mysterious, borderline uncaring deity.