Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A mobile network?

BronyPony

3 users have voted

1. 1. Would the mobile network be a good idea to develop?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

(edited)

So, I had an idea pertaining to mobile devices. As some may know or not, mobile devices are beginning to outsell PCs and Macs. This is mainly due to portability, potential, and higher specs compared to PC's that costs a lot of money for maybe the same amount of power.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benedictevans/2012/12/31/the-end-of-the-beginning-mobile-blows-past-pcs-so-what/

There is also the problem of HTML capabilities. Yes, HTML5 has been released with some new capabilities, but it is still limited and not available for most browsers. A majority of browsers do not have the webgl implemented and a majority of their functionality is not implemented.

Another huge issue that should be taken into account is HTML user-friendliness for mobile devices. Yes there are ways to adapt websites for mobile users, but that is the problem. The mobile device becomes second-hand when dealing with websites. I believe, and maybe others believe, there should be something that takes mobile devices into priority when developing online websites.

Here is an idea that I have: a mobile network. The idea is to make an app that makes mobile networking a priority. The idea is to take the specs of the mobile devices, graphics capabilities and processing power, and make an app that allows people to develop what I would call Meb sites, or mobile web sites, that have access to the graphics capabilities of mobile devices.

Another part of this idea is making the promotion of ideas more easily accessible than doing this on the web. Normally, it costs money to promote an idea that you have or start a social network idea you have because of the domain name costs, server costs and such. Well, this mobile network would make domain names a utility rather than a product. To improve on net neutrality, Meb domains would be free(restrictions would apply to make sure people don't spam Meb domains and try to claim them all), The hosting and Meb domains would be supported by ad revenue, of course.

A great pro about this idea is the capabilities with Meb sites. Not only would there be an increased potential of graphics implementations and processing,  but there would be also an increase potential in online mobile gaming community. People could create online games that would be playable by the users of this app. No more limitations on both knowledge and money. Another pro is an increase in the capabilities in social networking. Not only would the Meb site be able to take place of a website, but it would also be able to take the place of an app. If a person develops an Instagram-type app, it can take place both of an app and website. Therefore, the app and website become one thing known as a Meb site or Meb page.

I, myself, have been testing with the idea and it seems to be possible. There are many things I could discuss, but it would take too much of this post. What do you think of the idea? Would it be worth it?

EDIT: A few ideas to add onto this:

• Meb packages: People remain limited by the current language developments, not by the ability of the device. This is where Meb packages come in. No longer would there be a limitation by the language. There is also the limitation of browser, as all must probably know. With the Meb app, there is no compatibility errors that would occur. The thing is, if a website requires a different package for different versions of the android operating system the app would download that package. Therefore, there is no limitation by version(unless for higher versions).
  • Modification of the app: Similar to Meb packages, but it relates to the modification of the app itself. This would work similarly too browsers because the modifications would relate to the usability of the app. Basically, developers can make different skins and modifications to the app to change the way the app is used for browsing the Meb. People could possibly even combine modifications of the app to their needs.
Edited by BronyPony

Curious approach. I need to think about this before I respond. I can see a closed OS like IOS and even Android handset manufactures and service providers causing adoption and compatibility issues early on (as well as low end prepaid handsets that are a huge factor in current mobile user rates skyrocketing).

Some of the ideas are interesting and with merit some may not work.

Hmmm. I'll be back.

(edited)

Curious approach. I need to think about this before I respond. I can see a closed OS like IOS and even Android handset manufactures and service providers causing adoption and compatibility issues early on (as well as low end prepaid handsets that are a huge factor in current mobile user rates skyrocketing).

Some of the ideas are interesting and with merit some may not work.

What do you mean they may not work. I have already tested with a majority of the ideas and they work perfectly, with some changes needed.

EDIT: There wouldn't be a problem with android devices since it is merely the operating system that would determine compatibility of the app, not the device.

Also, I don't know if I would develop for iOS. Though it is also a major mobile operating system, they make you pay to put it in the app store and develop for the iOS.

http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/

This article puts things into perspective. Android devices are being sold more in certain areas, while iOS is getting more financial success(over price stuff, I assume?)

Edited by BronyPony

What do you mean they may not work. I have already tested with a majority of the ideas and they work perfectly, with some changes needed.

EDIT: There wouldn't be a problem with android devices since it is merely the operating system that would determine compatibility of the app, not the device.

Also, I don't know if I would develop for iOS. Though it is also a major mobile operating system, they make you pay to put it in the app store and develop for the iOS.

http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/

This article puts things into perspective. Android devices are being sold more in certain areas, while iOS is getting more financial success(over price stuff, I assume?)

Wait! You're testing? How are you bypassing android.webkit.WebView? :wau:

Whenever I create an .apk and test through AVD I will run into at least one hardware compatibility or performance issue, usually when emulating lower end devices.

And the manufactures and then the carriers (at least in the US) modify the OS enough that it does impact compatibility, which could cause an issue when working with a unified package delivery system.

Just some thoughts. I actually like the idea ... but the current fragmentation still could be roadblocks.

Wait! You're testing? How are you bypassing android.webkit.WebView? :wau:

I am developing a "language" from scratch called YeML. It is going to be using a new way of implementing "Meb" content. Using webviews wouldn't increase the capabilities. Making it from the ground up would increase such capabilities.

Whenever I create an .apk and test through AVD I will run into at least one hardware compatibility or performance issue, usually when emulating lower end devices.

It depends on what you are talking about. If you are talking about the processing, I think all android versions have some form of threading that allows the processing to be carried out on multiple cores. I have been testing with emulations that have the hardware specs of the lower end devices and it still works. The 3D might not be up to par with its FPS on the lower devices, but it still works.

And the manufactures and then the carriers (at least in the US) modify the OS enough that it does impact compatibility, which could cause an issue when working with a unified package delivery system.

The android operating system keeps the old features while also adding new ones. This is why older apps can work on newer android versions.

Just some thoughts. I actually like the idea ... but the current fragmentation still could be roadblocks.

I have been heading into some roadblocks on the way, but I solved a majority of them through lowering some processing and adding threading to a majority of the events being carried out.

Oooooh! So if I understand any future language changes will be pushed via an app update through the actual ecosystem and not through a direct install?

I don't know why, but I was thinking big picture for adoption by the W3C. Again corporate jeric reared his ugly head in a tech discussion. :D

I barely understand a damn thing that's going on here except for what was discussed in the video, but I'm on board with anything that will hopefully cut down on that frustration of going on a website that I can't access with a mobile.

(edited)

Oooooh! So if I understand any future language changes will be pushed via an app update through the actual ecosystem and not through a direct install?

I don't know why, but I was thinking big picture for adoption by the W3C. Again corporate jeric reared his ugly head in a tech discussion. :D

YeML will be a part of the app that allows you to access the Meb sites.

EDIT: Here is an example of what I am making(taken from android studio)

ssss.png

The idea is with the app there will be the ability to search websites using the search engine on it or you will be able to enter the domain name of the Meb site to get to it. You also can create Meb domains and such as stated in the original post. YeML will be updated frequently to fit the potential of the next android operating system.

Another thing is with the Meb packages, people can modify the YeML language for their own purposes and the packages can be combined as well.

Edited by BronyPony
  • Brohoof 1

Well, good news is that .MEB is still an open TLD (I think) if you are going that route. 

It would only be a domain that would be available on mobile devices. I am also thinking about making an extension so that .meb would be read as a link from the Meb network.