Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Equestria have years?

Commander Shep-herd

Yeah they have years (luna's banishment = 1000)

But I found some time continuity errors:

They say the Apple Family Reunion is every 100 moons

1 moon = 28 days

28 x 100 = 2800

2800 / 365 = 7.7

Every reunion is about every 7 and a half years.

In the episode 'Apple Family Reunion' (S3 E08) we learn a lot about previous reunions. 

But when we see the flashback to when AJ was a baby, that would never have been seven years ago. (Unless Applejack is secretly 8)

Buuuuutttt, in S1 E01 when Twilight is introduced to the apple family, that was for the reunion as well (AJ says that for herself at one point I think in Applebuck Season S1 E04). But I don't think that Twi has been in Ponyville for over 7 years...

Ohhh it hurts my head I need to stop  :unsure:

(edited)

Yes it has years and as for when Twilight came, let's call it 1000 AC (after Celestia  :squee: )

Hehe, I would like to call it AL (After Luna 0000 - 1000), from the time of Nightmare Moon's Banishment until her return (from pilot episode), and then I like to switch over to PU (Post-Unification 1001) after the 2nd Summer Sun Celebration, guess that's the only headcannon I can come up with, not much really since it's just time period.

1 moon = 28 days

28 x 100 = 2800

2800 / 365 = 7.7

In the episode 'Apple Family Reunion' (S3 E08) we learn a lot about previous reunions. 

But when we see the flashback to when AJ was a baby, that would never have been seven years ago. (Unless Applejack is secretly 8)

Buuuuutttt, in S1 E01 when Twilight is introduced to the apple family, that was for the reunion as well (AJ says that for herself at one point I think in Applebuck Season S1 E04). But I don't think that Twi has been in Ponyville for over 7 years...

Ohhh it hurts my head I need to stop  :unsure:

Yeah the moon thing with Granny Smith has never been made clear really.  I kind of think full moons don't occur in the same fashion as the real world because, heck they have a Princess that can control when it goes up and down, and I think Luna can do whatever she pleases, if she wants it to be a full moon one night or a crescent moon the other.

The other theory I have is, that when Granny Smith said 100 moons since our last reunion, she meant 100 days.  As in 100 nights will pass before we have another Apple family reunion, but that feels too much of a short time gap, means like 3 family reunions per year. (Assuming 365 days)

Edited by pony.colin

Hehe, I would like to call it AL (After Luna 0000 - 1000), from the time of Nightmare Moon's Banishment until her return (from pilot episode), and then I like to switch over to PU (Post-Unification 1001) after the 2nd Summer Sun Celebration, guess that's the only headcannon I can come up with, not much really since it's just time period.

Yeah the moon thing with Granny Smith has never made clear really.  I kind of think full moons don't occur in the same fashion as the real world because, heck they have Princess that can control when it goes up and down, and I think Luna can do whatever she pleases, if she wants it to be a full moon one night or a crescent moon the other.

The other theory I have is, that when Granny Smith said 100 moons since our last reunion, she meant 100 days.  As in 100 nights will pass before we have another Apple family reunion, but that feels too much of a short time gap, means like 3 family reunions per year. (Assuming 365 days)

I'm giving up im never gonna get it :(

(edited)

I'm giving up im never gonna get it :(

A full moon is seen almost every night in Equestria. I take this and infer that the lunar phase cycle is much tighter than our own is, with the consequent being that the Equestrian moon is much closer and much smaller than ours is.

Instead of having an orbital period of 28.4 days, I hypothecated that the period was actually more like a week.

This would cause a frequency of full moons approximately once every week, which would explain their common occurrence.

Granny Smith using moons as a unit of measure would make the most sense in terms of measuring time between full moons.

100 [full] moons * (7 days per full moon) = 700 days between Apple Family Reunions

700/365 = 1.9 years = 1 year, 11 months, 0 days, 9 hours

Difference between S1E1 Friendship is Magic Part 1 and S3E8 Apple Family Reunion.

Our real world Earth used to have calendars calibrated by time between full moons as well (which is where we get the word "Months" from) but advances in Astronomy between the 12th and 16th centuries lead to calendars which measured the length of time it took the Earth to revolve around the sun, from Aphelion to Perihelion and back. The true measure of these events is what we call the Solstice (when we are closest and farthest from the Sun in Earth's solar orbit), but there's a tremendous deal of interesting history as to why January 1st was defined as the start of the year.

Edited by Blue

Yes, they have years. Both Nightmare Moon & King Sombra were banished for a thousand years, but exactly what do years refer to in Equestria.

We will likely never know.

(edited)

There are two subjects the writers will never touch and those are time and age. They have days, months, years, etc. but the writers don't like being pinned down, so they never define them. We can never answer these questions with certainty.

Edited by Nature's Spell

A full moon is seen almost every night in Equestria. I take this and infer that the lunar phase cycle is much tighter than our own is, with the consequent being that the Equestrian moon is much closer and much smaller than ours is.

Instead of having an orbital period of 28.4 days, I hypothecated that the period was actually more like a week.

This would cause a frequency of full moons approximately once every week, which would explain their common occurrence.

Granny Smith using moons as a unit of measure would make the most sense in terms of measuring time between full moons.

100 [full] moons * (7 days per full moon) = 700 days between Apple Family Reunions

700/365 = 1.9 years = 1 year, 11 months, 0 days, 9 hours

Difference between S1E1 Friendship is Magic Part 1 and S3E8 Apple Family Reunion.

Our real world Earth used to have calendars calibrated by time between full moons as well (which is where we get the word "Months" from) but advances in Astronomy between the 12th and 16th centuries lead to calendars which measured the length of time it took the Earth to revolve around the sun, from Aphelion to Perihelion and back. The true measure of these events is what we call the Solstice (when we are closest and farthest from the Sun in Earth's solar orbit), but there's a tremendous deal of interesting history as to why January 1st was defined as the start of the year.

1.9 years between S1E1 and S3E8 ?

That seems a bit far inbetween the reunions (just my thoughts).  That and considering that and the supposed time length between S1E1 and S4E1 is well, only a year.  That would have to throw S3E8 far ahead of the events, past S4.  I mean, you can do that if you want, but I think that will start to have some inconsistency flow between events, (maybe).

1.9 years between S1E1 and S3E8 ?

That seems a bit far inbetween the reunions (just my thoughts).  That and considering that and the supposed time length between S1E1 and S4E1 is well, only a year.  That would have to throw S3E8 far ahead of the events, past S4.  I mean, you can do that if you want, but I think that will start to have some inconsistency flow between events, (maybe).

The Chronology would be pretty screwy, but if Twilight Arrived in, say "August" of a 12 month 365 day year, then she could've experienced two separate winters. This would be able to account for all of the yearly-season specific episodes in all four show seasons.

Chronology apparently has never been very linear for Friendship is Magic. This is a chart describing Season 1.

pony_chronology_by_russelh-d3l2gvp.png

(edited)

The Chronology would be pretty screwy, but if Twilight Arrived in, say "August" of a 12 month 365 day year, then she could've experienced two separate winters. This would be able to account for all of the yearly-season specific episodes in all four show seasons.

Chronology apparently has never been very linear for Friendship is Magic. This is a chart describing Season 1.

img-2897779-1-pony_chronology_by_russelh

I remember seeing that, RLYoshi references that from TheLastGherkin on DA,

RLYoshi has a slightly different timeline theory for S1, pointing out a few other pieces of evidence for suggestion of a few differences:

Take your pick whichever.  S1 can be reasonably mapped out well however, once you throw in S2, S3 and S4, things sort of hit the wall at random.  The timeline chronology is screwed up; I don't think the writers (or whoever is aligning the episode order) were paying attention to the timeline when they set things out (they love to throw starswirl the bearded around in the past wherever they darn well please, making seem almost ageless and always throw things 1000 years around, when, there is a small paradox with how the Crystal empire re-appeared later than Nightmare Moon's arrival). 

Question, how would starting S1E1 in August (assuming 12 months, 365 days year cycle) get you two winter cycles, inbetween S1E1 and S4E1?  There's only a year inbetween (it would have to cycle back into August, and you still only get one winter cycle in that one year) and you can't exactly cycle in another separate winter season in there.  I know, it gets really cramped, because it would suggest S2 and S3 are crammed right in before S4's premiere.  And it possibly suggests that Hearth's Warming Eve is on the same winter cycle as Winter Wrap Up (I'm guessing there's probably inconsistencies, I just haven't looked into it).  Like I said, very messed up timeline, and in hindsight, no one was paying attention when the chalked this thing up.    

Also, this was referenced from another thread I made a short while back (similar subject): http://mlpforums.com/topic/105030-do-you-think-time-has-moved-quickly-slowly-about-right-in-mlpfim-series/

Edited by pony.colin

How about we say that the years are weird. And leave it at that. Unless one of you wants to work out what it actually is? *points at you all menacingly* 

(edited)

Question, how would starting S1E1 in August (assuming 12 months, 365 days year cycle) get you two winter cycles, inbetween S1E1 and S4E1?  There's only a year inbetween (it would have to cycle back into August, and you still only get one winter cycle in that one year) and you can't exactly cycle in another separate winter season in there.  I know, it gets really cramped, because it would suggest S2 and S3 are crammed right in before S4's premiere.  And it possibly suggests that Hearth's Warming Eve is on the same winter cycle as Winter Wrap Up (I'm guessing there's probably inconsistencies, I just haven't looked into it).  Like I said, very messed up timeline, and in hindsight, no one was paying attention when the chalked this thing up.    

Also, this was referenced from another thread I made a short while back (similar subject): http://mlpforums.com/topic/105030-do-you-think-time-has-moved-quickly-slowly-about-right-in-mlpfim-series/

Just to reiterate, I hypothecated S1E1 taking place in August simply to indicate summer.

August (S1E1, 1st Summer Sun Celebration, 1st Apple Family Reunion--Twilight comes to Ponyville)

September

October

November

December

January  (By implication, unmentioned and not shown 1st Hearth's Warming Eve)

February (Winter 1, after which Twilight's first Winter Wrap Up could occur)

March

April

May

June

July

August (By implication, unmentioned and not shown 2nd Summer Sun Celebration)

September

October

November

December

January  (S2E11 2nd Hearth's Warming Eve, Ponyvillians act in a theatre)

February (Winter 2, unmentioned and not shown Winter Wrap Up)

March

April

May

June

July (S3E8 Second Apple Family Reunion)

August (S4E1 3rd Summer Sun Celebration, Twilight has recently become a Princess)

With this kind of chronology, you could easily slot S1E4 Applebuck Season into the autumn of Twilight's first year, and S4E7 Bats! into the autumn of her third.

How about we say that the years are weird. And leave it at that. Unless one of you wants to work out what it actually is? *points at you all menacingly* 

Half the fun is how ridiculous this subject is, that we are treating with apparent seriousness. It's not unlike how people treat the results of video games when the points don't matter in the slightest who wins or loses.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm unsure what year it would be in Equestria, but they do have years.

A few quotes from the show proving this:

"Twilight Sparkle: Oh, I'm not worried, Spike. The Princess trusts me completely. In all the years she's been my mentor she's never once doubted me." - [season 1, Episode 1]

"Nightmare Moon: Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years? Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?" - [season 1, Episode 1]

-------------------

Both are from the first episode, but I know there are more than a couple of times "years" are mentioned.

Oh! Just remembered another one.

In Make a Wish, Pinkie Pie sings "it's been a year, and today is your birthday party." before hitting the chorus.

So yeah, years do exist! ^^

Edited by Adorkable

(edited)

Just to reiterate, I hypothecated S1E1 taking place in August simply to indicate summer.

August (S1E1, 1st Summer Sun Celebration, 1st Apple Family Reunion--Twilight comes to Ponyville)

September

October

November

December

January  (By implication, unmentioned and not shown 1st Hearth's Warming Eve)

February (Winter 1, after which Twilight's first Winter Wrap Up could occur)

March

April

May

June

July

August (By implication, unmentioned and not shown 2nd Summer Sun Celebration)

September

October

November

December

January  (S2E11 2nd Hearth's Warming Eve, Ponyvillians act in a theatre)

February (Winter 2, unmentioned and not shown Winter Wrap Up)

March

April

May

June

July (S3E8 Second Apple Family Reunion)

August (S4E1 3rd Summer Sun Celebration, Twilight has recently become a Princess)

With this kind of chronology, you could easily slot S1E4 Applebuck Season into the autumn of Twilight's first year, and S4E7 Bats! into the autumn of her third.

Half the fun is how ridiculous this subject is, that we are treating with apparent seriousness. It's not unlike how people treat the results of video games when the points don't matter in the slightest who wins or loses.

See I like that, because it paces the time out and feels more natural, 3 years feels a lot more natural in over 3 seasons (roughly speaking). 

I ran into one notable problem though brought up by Simon, who suggests that it's the first Summer Sun Celebration since Twilight's arrival:

No it's the first one... Celestia spends the entire episode talking about how this is the first time she'll be able to enjoy the Summer Sun Celebration since before it represented the defeat of Nightmare Moon and now it represented the return of Luna.  Plus she made that announcement again at the celebration itself... if it were the second year since Luna's return it just wouldn't make sense that she would be so focused on the fact that Luna was back for this Summer Sun Celebration, so it has to be a year.

Gg Luna :| thank you for screwing us all up. (S4E1 throws a wrench in everything :| ) 

But I like the model of S1 - S3 paced out over year(s) which feels more natural to me and reasonable.  (since cramming everything into just a year feels ridiculous and feels like time has rushed by in the series)

It's just analyzing fun mate :P nothing more.

Edited by pony.colin
  • Brohoof 1

1 moon = 28 days

28 x 100 = 2800

2800 / 365 = 7.7

Ohhh it hurts my head I need to stop :unsure:

Either a moon isn't 28 days in their world, but actually much longer. Or they wrote 100 moons without thinking too much. :P