Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Commander Frost

Is MLP:FIM still targeted for kids?  

113 users have voted

1. 1. Is MLP:FIM still targeted for kids?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Little girls can like lasers, and explosions, and fighting. Is awesome. But meh, could be aimed at children like the title says, and not just little girls like your post says.

• Brohoof 12

Little girls can like lasers, and explosions, and fighting. Is awesome. But meh, could be aimed at children like the title says, and not just little girls like your post says.

I personally don't know a single six year old girl that likes any of that. I only know little boys and even then my knowledge is limited.

• Brohoof 1

I personally don't know a single six year old girl that likes any of that. I only know little boys and even then my knowledge is limited.

I personally don't know a single six year old. And it ranges really. Not just six year olds. But little girls can like lasers and stuff too.

I think they are starting to target both bronies and young girls. They are definitely not going to ignore the little girls. That was their original demographic and I think they are sticking to it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't think tc shows 'only for adults' and 'only for kids' addict.
The strength of a good TV show/cartoon/movie is that it contains elements that apply to children and elements that also can please adults.

I also believe that most writers/producers consider children as stupid beings. They can handle some more mature themes, some puns, or even more complicated storylines.

Edited by Pinklady

(edited)

I'm a female, and when I was 6 years old, I preferred laser battles and explosions over any of the ridiculous things on the girl's aisle. :D

Yes, MLP is still ultimately aimed at a children's demographic. It just is made in a way adults can enjoy as well! :)

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos
  • Brohoof 15

(edited)

I actually had a pretty active post about this when season 4 ended if you want to see some other opinions on it. I dont have a poll on it though.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/98252-is-fim-now-targeting-everyone/

But on this matter i dont see why girls cant be into more violent things. I mean a girl got me into a show called Gantz and wow was that a shock.

Edited by Digit

the finale might be kind of an experiment for the brony community, but i highly doubt that MLP´s general target audience is gonna change in the long run.

Giving a couple nods to the brony fanbase hardly makes the show "not for girls" anymore.

And besides, having a fight scene in a cartoon for girls is not uncommon. Tons of the shows I watched as a girl, especially ones dealing with magic, had hero-villain fights in them. It's not that weird.

I don't like when the brony community tries to, in essence, steal the show away from young girls and try to claim it as their own. Why do we feel so entitled? This show is for everybody. Stop throwing around claims of ownership like we're somehow more important than the younger female demographic. We're not.

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

Of course it is! And it will always be just like Transformers is aimed for boys, but as Lauren Faust said girls show didn't use to be good before, girls used to prefer boys shows cause they had more plot quality than girls' ones, so  she made FIM with an enjoyable plot.

I bet a lot of girls here liked cartoons like Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse or Woody Woodpecker when they were younger, rather than Jem and the holograms, My Little Pony previous generations or Strawberry Shortcake G1.

Edited by RainbowMau

:blink: uh......duh? of course it is. Why would they change their target audience, just like that? Besides, look at Powerpuff Girls, (coincidentally another show Lauren worked on.) it was marketed primarily towards girls, and look what they got away with, even on-screen punches.

• Brohoof 2

I still think it's technically for little girls, but little girls can also like things such as Star Wars, Star Trek, and the like, and I know a few girls who were into those things at young ages.

"Girl things" don't always refer to the traditional stereotype.

• Brohoof 2

Well it's fit for all ages it's got it's good mix so it may not be a show just for little girls but for all ages it used to have more towards the younger viewers but now it is mixed so yes and no in a way...

Giving a couple nods to the brony fanbase hardly makes the show "not for girls" anymore.

And besides, having a fight scene in a cartoon for girls is not uncommon. Tons of the shows I watched as a girl, especially ones dealing with magic, had hero-villain fights in them. It's not that weird.

I don't like when the brony community tries to, in essence, steal the show away from young girls and try to claim it as their own. Why do we feel so entitled? This show is for everybody. Stop throwing around claims of ownership like we're somehow more important than the younger female demographic. We're not.

This.

I still think it's technically for little girls, but little girls can also like things such as Star Wars, Star Trek, and the like, and I know a few girls who were into those things at young ages.

"Girl things" don't always refer to the traditional stereotype.

And this.

---

Y'know, just because something is awesome, doesn't mean it can't be for little girls. Yes, MLP has a fight scene, and yes, MLP is still targeted towards little girls. What's wrong with this?

• Brohoof 2

My Little Pony will always be targeted toward little girls.

The fact that you even think that makes this series less 'girly' indicates that you haven't even watched the earlier generations. G1 was full of villains (Tirek being one of them). Perhaps not over-the-top action like that, but lets be honest here, that action really came into the mainstream with DBZ, which would not be introduced to the USA until around ten years after G1's episodes.

Little girls can like action! DBZ was one of those shows I loved to watch when I was young, and I actually enjoyed the action in it (which I don't typically enjoy action all of that much, unless it has emotional backing).

I'm sick to death of this excuse that many Bronies are attempting to create to 'justify' liking a show for little girls. The excuse doesn't exist. Just admit that things targeted toward girls aren't bad... Girls are people, too, you know?

• Brohoof 9

Yes, the core audience is the focus of this show. I don't really see this as debatable actually. I think the amount of unconventional fan influence

(if any) is probably far more limited than you think.

I'm sick to death of this excuse that many Bronies are attempting to create to 'justify' liking a show for little girls. The excuse doesn't exist. Just admit that things targeted toward girls aren't bad... Girls are people, too, you know?

That's the big problem. I thought a lot of bronies already believed this before. I guess not and that idea is simply unfortunate.

(edited)

This show will always be for little girls, and it's demographic is definitely not changing. Honestly, this show will never, ever change for a fans liking; if you think Hasbro will change the show (completely ignoring the little girl demographic) to please some older Brony fans, you've got another thing coming.

Edited by Generosity
  • Brohoof 1

Okay, I don't think you get what I'm saying. I'm NOT saying it's wrong that little girls like this and I'm sure they do, but I've never met any.

Ive actually met a good number of them back when i would baby sit my cousins. Its not uncommon especially if they have prents who dont peddal to gender stereo types with their kids.

(edited)

Didn't Lauren Faust say at one point that when she was a kid, she was disappointed the original MLP show lacked the action and adventure of something like GI Joe? (I could be wrong, since I don't know where she originally said this.)

Anyway, I'm sure the target audience is still the same. The original point of the show was to make something for little girls that doesn't suck, since many people believe that if something is for little girls, it's obligated to have a poor story, with little to no conflict. Most adults, male or female, like conflict with high stakes in a story, as well as most young boys. I don't see why young girls would should be an exception.

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1