Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Commander Frost

Is MLP:FIM still targeted for kids?  

113 users have voted

1. 1. Is MLP:FIM still targeted for kids?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

• 3 months later...

My thread about this was locked so I have posted it here, please reply.

We all know that Friendship is Magic brought in a whole new generation of fans, but did the show appeal to the intended demographic like the past 3 generations did. I mean are there little girls going crazy for MLP nowadays, because we never hear about it, and how successful has the show become in terms of toy sales. I live in the UK and unless you use the internet and stream on sites like Netfilx, Amazon Instant, ITunes, and Dailymotion, there's only the DVD of S1, and it only airs on Sky and Freesat, so do kids even know it exists nowadays.

I would like to think that it has been a success in every way, but I need to be sure.

Well... That has to always be their core backing, if they don't remember that sort of thing then the show dynamic will change. However, it's clear in a few episodes that they aimed stuff more for us ;)

My thread about this was locked so I have posted it here, please reply.

We all know that Friendship is Magic brought in a whole new generation of fans, but did the show appeal to the intended demographic like the past 3 generations did. I mean are there little girls going crazy for MLP nowadays, because we never hear about it, and how successful has the show become in terms of toy sales. I live in the UK and unless you use the internet and stream on sites like Netfilx, Amazon Instant, ITunes, and Dailymotion, there's only the DVD of S1, and it only airs on Sky and Freesat, so do kids even know it exists nowadays.

I would like to think that it has been a success in every way, but I need to be sure.

"did the show appeal to the intended demographic"

Well you answered it yourself, there are little girls going crazy for MLP nowadays. The target audience was for little girls (well, actually for everyone but you know what I mean) and little girls still love it. I can't speak for the UK but over in my country it only shows at 6.30am weekdays and that's only up to the Sonic Rainboom episode yet I still see little girls asking for MLP merch. It has reached it's intended audience even if that doesn't span to every country.

I hope that made sense and wasn't too rambly...

It is still aimed towards kids. But I think they also do recognize bronies and throw in stuff for them as well. In my opinion the show is for everybody  :lol:

It's targeted at little girls, in the same sense that chocolate bunnies at Easter are targeted at children.

On the surface, with their bright wrapping, and cute bunny shape, chocolate bunnies might seem to have only an appeal to children. But if you look at what they're made of (chocolate), you'll understand why adults can enjoy them just as much.

My Little Pony is carefully designed to not contain anything that little girls would find unappealing, but much of the stuff it does contain is stuff that everybody can find appealing.

Since more than half of the fanbase are male and grownups... 

This is rubbish. Most My Little Pony fans are children.

And although I don't have any evidence to back it up, I'd wager most are female too.

Take a look at these charts based on Nielson TV ratings. The pink slices of the pie are male adults. They are quite small slices of the pie. (Around 15% tops.)

If you were to just use the membership of this site as a guide, of course it will make the fanbase seem older. Children under the age of thirteen are not even allowed to sign up.

• Brohoof 2

I am very certain MLP:FiM is still for the younger girls, I also feel little girls are capable of understanding more advanced subjects, we put too much emphasis on age and innocence and ignore the human capacity for deeper thinking, the series is just accepting the fact little girls can and do handle more then cartoon drivel.

And I say good for you MLP! Keep up the excellent work.

• Brohoof 1

Well It still can be for little kids or younger audience, but What I know so far that most of us Adult fans, bronies, pegasisters, Audience, and Viewers still watch the show and What we like best are the graphics, the story, the Characters, and the laughs. Well for children or younger audience wise, well It may take some time for them to get used to the show and see if they like it or not so it would take some several episodes of the show to get used to the show series.

I think the first episodes were only "for little girls", but seeing the success of the show they decided to aim at an older audience.

Now I'd say it's for everybody.

Edited by Blobulle

Just because its gotten wider appeal, doesn't mean its not still created primarily for little girls. 

I like to think they keep us in mind, though, every once in a while.

• Brohoof 1

Don't know if it counts but my niece loves all that action stuff just like me XD so she quite enjoyed Twilight vs Tirek but she also enjoys the banter between ponies and their designs. So I'd have to say that yes, it is for little girls too. But remember, anypony can enjoy the show, and fighting and action isn't just stuff guys like.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think tc shows 'only for adults' and 'only for kids' addict.

The strength of a good TV show/cartoon/movie is that it contains elements that apply to children and elements that also can please adults.

I also believe that most writers/producers consider children as stupid beings. They can handle some more mature themes, some puns, or even more complicated storylines.

And Disney is a prime example of something that pleases kids and adults. 

For young kids [i.e toddlers or early-aged preschoolers] they may not get it? But once they hit primary/elementary school, they should be able to handle stuff like some mature themes (again, Disney, in my opinion. Or I'm just an emotional sap who cried during Big Hero 6). 

I don't know where I'm getting at, so I'll ust shut up now.

And Disney is a prime example of something that pleases kids and adults. 

For young kids [i.e toddlers or early-aged preschoolers] they may not get it? But once they hit primary/elementary school, they should be able to handle stuff like some mature themes (again, Disney, in my opinion. Or I'm just an emotional sap who cried during Big Hero 6). 

Plus, from what I remember, the original My Little Pony movie was a bit 'dark'. [which kind of shocked me.]

So was the first Care Bears movie. Did that stop me from liking Care Bears? No, it creeped me out a lot, though. [that face tho]

Little girls can like action. And there's still MLP build-a-bears and toy aisles in the girl toy section, so it's still geared towards girls.

I believe it is still primarily targeted for young girls, yes, but I think FIM prooves that young girls want and deserve some pretty friggin awesome and often epic entertainment.  For the most part, I don't think girls want a show where the biggest conflict is running out of sugar while baking cookies.  That's why FIM had to come and stomp those sexist stereotypes.

• Brohoof 2

Just because the writers acknowledge bronies, doesn't mean the show is no longer for young children.

The main demographic of the show was and still is young children.

That's why the show keeps things appropriate while still being badass.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

The show is obviously still for kids. There are bronies who watch the show, but that doesn't mean that younger children aren't allowed to watch the show anymore. The show was supposed to be for kids and adults, and it still remains that way.

I think they try to aim for both Bronies and little kids (not specificly just girls).  Walt Disney once said.  "You're dead if you aim only for kids.  Adults are just kids grown up anyway."  The show is aimed toward both the bronies and the kids, not just one or the other.

Is this show for little girls? Is this show about pastel-colored ponies solving problems with the power of friendship?

Little girls can like DBZ-esque scenes like little boys can like ponies and princesses. MLP was targeted for little girls to enjoy, and it still is. The only reason we don't see many little girls is because the Brony fandom is mostly male, and little girls don't typically go on the internet to talk with strangers. At least not without their parents' strict supervision.

The writers throwing the fandom a couple bones every now and again doesn't mean the magical pony show's not for little girls. That idea's silly. The question you should be asking is, "Is MLP for everyone?" To which I say, "Is water wet?"

Edited by Pokekid543