Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Am I the only one who DOESN'T like it when videogames are challenging?

Sazama Ichida

I like games that are challenging but not too challenging, it keeps things fresh and it allows me to think when I play games.  I remember in the game Rise of The Triad, the final boss was difficult for me, I didn't know you were not supposed to attack him and that there was a different strategy.  I don't like games that are frustrating or too easy.  Games like Morrowind I found frustrating, they don't have map markers to destinations and you are supposed to take directions but despite that, the game was very enjoyable.

@,

Ecco 1. That game was my childhood. I cheated my way to Welcome to the Machine, took me a year but I got to the final boss.

I am still mentally scarred. 

That ending was quite a twist. Dreamcast kind of dealt with that; you can't even cheat because their are special skills you get in certain levels that you can't get anywhere else. Try to go to the last level without them, and you get to watch Ecco slowly dissolve into a puddle. I'm putting this game on my bucket list.

I like hard games as long as they are fair.

Take Quake 3 for instance. The game is insanely hard on the highest difficulty setting but only because the AI plays very well and I enjoy that.

Take Empire : Total War ( or any other Total War for that matter), the game is insanely hard on the highest difficulty setting. Not because the computer plays well but because they cheat like crazy. It's unfair and I don't like it which is why  I don't play on Hard.

• Brohoof 2

Anger can lead to good times, in my opinion.

Mistakes in game can also sometimes lead to some hilarious moments like this one time I accidentally killed George Washington in Assassins Creed III. I just snuck up behind him thinking he was a red coat, jumped him and stabbed him with my hidden blade.

• Brohoof 3

>Everybody likes hard and unforgiving games

>Hard and unforgiving game

>Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong

U fukken wot m8.

If those are hard for you, I dont think there's much hope for you at all.

And yet, Pokemon isnt in that list somehow when I've had some shit happen in those games much worse than other you claimed as hard.

Why not try something such as Kirby games or some Yoshi games? Those are generally not as bad as others in terms of difficulty. I mean, due to the norm of games, they will increase as the game advances, but still generally lower.

I really, REALLY suck balls at games...

Mario and Donkey Kong you're dead in a maximum of only 2 hits at most...It's fucking ridiculous...I'll never understand why I'm the only one who can't beat these games...

The Zelda games? well technically I only played one. Ocarina of Time. I got lost and couldn't figure out where to go. And then I got stuck one of those song minigames and gave up...

And I've played Kirby's games actually. They're too hard for me as well...

Pokemon is hard? Since when? Most RPGs are really easy if you abuse grinding. And that's what I do. But then again X and Y are the only Pokemon games I've played.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldnt call dark souls unforgiving. Id say it doesnt hold your hand and is a learn by death experiance but it is a challagne. I like them because of the warm tingle you get when you finnally beat them. Except for ninja gaiden which is hard for thebsakebof being hard.

I'd say Dark Souls is specifically "unforgiving", since a small mistake can be your downfall; that's the definition of unforgiving. What I hear most often is that it's "unfair", which I will argue against vehemently. It's fair, but unforgiving.

(edited)

I'd say Dark Souls is specifically "unforgiving", since a small mistake can be your downfall; that's the definition of unforgiving. What I hear most often is that it's "unfair", which I will argue against vehemently. It's fair, but unforgiving.

Well in most experiences with dark souls yes you would be right. But it is an rpg and there is such a thing as over leveling and i found if you invest the time dark souls is not a particularly challenging game after a while.

Me and a few guildies do cosplay speed run races sometimes and usually those of us who understand whats coming book right threw it.

Edited by Digit

I've never played Dark Souls but I've heard enough about it to know that I don't wanna touch it with a 10ft poll lol.

If your not really into games were brutal death is the main teaching tool yeah id avoid it :P

Mistakes in game can also sometimes lead to some hilarious moments like this one time I accidentally killed George Washington in Assassins Creed III. I just snuck up behind him thinking he was a red coat, jumped him and stabbed him with my hidden blade.

There should be an "awesome moments in Assassin's Creed thread" because it happens. A lot. I was playing the second game on the 360 and was in the first Memory when I got to the walk with Ezio's mother. Safe to say that she didn't care that I was punching hundreds of citizens.  ^_^

(edited)

Well in most experiences with dark souls yes you would be right. But it is an rpg and there is such a thing as over leveling and i found if you invest the time dark souls is not a particularly challenging game after a while.

Me and a few guildies do cosplay speed run races sometimes and usually those of us who understand whats coming book right threw it.

Well yeah, but I always found over-leveling to be really boring so I don't really consider it when I am looking at how challenging a game is.

I really, REALLY suck balls at games...

Mario and Donkey Kong you're dead in a maximum of only 2 hits at most...It's fucking ridiculous...I'll never understand why I'm the only one who can't beat these games...

The Zelda games? well technically I only played one. Ocarina of Time. I got lost and couldn't figure out where to go. And then I got stuck one of those song minigames and gave up...

And I've played Kirby's games actually. They're too hard for me as well...

Pokemon is hard? Since when? Most RPGs are really easy if you abuse grinding. And that's what I do. But then again X and Y are the only Pokemon games I've played.

Haha...I honestly mean no offense but yeah, it seems like you might just not be too good at video games  :toldya:

You would have hated one of my favorite old genesis games, "Shadow Dancer", in that game you died in ONE hit and there were ninjas flying all-over the place!

Edited by TenorSounds

If your not really into games were brutal death is the main teaching tool yeah id avoid it :P

I don't like hard games. That's why I'm gonna avoid it.

Well yeah, but I always found over-leveling to be really boring so I don't really consider it when I am looking at how challenging a game is.

Haha...I honestly mean no offense but yeah, it seems like you might just not be too good at video games  :toldya:

I am literally the world's worst gamer. You won't find anybody who sucks more than me.

I am literally the world's worst gamer. You won't find anybody who sucks more than me.

My cousin walks into my bullets in Halo because "hiding is for girls".

• Brohoof 2

Lol well at least your honest. Im a glutton for punishment. Ive actually switched to playing dark souls and batman to hardcore if i die i start over. Dark souls in particular im level 268 and scared as crap to play it lol

• Brohoof 1

Ah. Well, I doubt you're the only person who isn't good at video games so to answer your original question, no, I don't think you're the only one who doesn't like challenging video games :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The only "impressive" thing I've ever done in any videogame is beating Sephiroth in KH1. I honestly don't think that's really worthy of being called impressive though. Ironically I can't beat him in KH2. People say he's easier in that game.

Edited by Asbel Lhant

(edited)
As for me I like games that are straightforward and easy like [...] Kingdom Hearts

Wha-wha-wha-wait... You think Kingdom Hearts is easy...!? And straight-forward? :wau:

I've put my heart and soul into those games. I would never call them easy. The story is getting increasingly complex. The bosses are challenging; I can only think of a handful where I beat them on the first try and I didn't feel challenged. In Kh2, I had to fight stupid Xaldin and Xigbar like 13 times each... (oh, and the optional bosses are even crazier...!). Plus they never spell out what to do for you when it comes to puzzles and whatnot - those take a lot of brain power. I distinctly remember watching many vague cut scenes with cryptic dialogue and being like "...............ok what do i do now....?" Those games really make you think.

Plus, right away Chain of Memories came to mind. I don't know about any of y'all, but that card system was one of the most unique challenges a game ever made me endure.

Um, yeah. *steps off of soapbox* But to be more on topic, I don't think it's inherently bad to not seek out hard games... Sometimes a game is just a way to relax afterall, and that's fine! I personally go back and forth between wanting a hard game and just a fluff game, depending on my mood.

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 3

The only "impressive" thing I've ever done in any videogame is beating Sephiroth in KH1. I honestly don't think that's really worthy of being called impressive though. Ironically I can't beat him in KH2. People say he's easier in that game.

How good are you at analyzing patterns? Once you establish patterns, video games become really easy.

I do enjoy challenging games as I do like the idea of the feeling I get when I FINALLY beat a level, that's always great, but I can understand, I do a lot of the times prefer easier games, hard games can be fun but for me it's more enjoyable when I don't get aggravated the whole time at the game (and myself) for not being very good and not beating them, but hard games can be fun too of course. :3

Yeah, I'm the world's worst gamer. I stink at FPS games (can't aim right!), horrible at platformers like freaking MARIO BROS, and absolute crap when it comes to puzzle games or visual novels. I can't even play a point-and-click game without a tutorial!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Wha-wha-wha-wait... You think Kingdom Hearts is easy...!? And straight-forward? :wau:

I've put my heart and soul into those games. I would never call them easy. The story is getting increasingly complex. The bosses are challenging; I can only think of a handful where I beat them on the first try and I didn't feel challenged. In Kh2, I had to fight stupid Xaldin and Xigbar like 13 times each... (oh, and the optional bosses are even crazier...!). Plus they never spell out what to do for you when it comes to puzzles and whatnot - those take a lot of brain power. I distinctly remember watching many vague cut scenes with cryptic dialogue and being like "...............ok what do i do now....?" Those games really make you think.

Plus, right away Chain of Memories came to mind. I don't know about any of y'all, but that card system was one of the most unique challenges a game ever made me endure.

Um, yeah. *steps off of soapbox* But to be more on topic, I don't think it's inherently bad to not seek out hard games... Sometimes a game is just a way to relax afterall, and that's fine! I personally go back and forth between wanting a hard game and just a fluff game, depending on my mood.

I know what you mean especially if you took on Terra in the remix. So freaking hard.

Kingdom Hearts - 2 Final Mix [English] [Playthrou…:

Edited by Digit
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well it depends, were you playing on "beginner" difficulty? Even so, now I hesitate to say you're "bad at video games" since that's still a pretty difficult thing to pull off. For me, beating Sephiroth in KH1 as a kid was one of my personal crowning achievements in video games. In fact, I recently beat him again in the 1.5 HD Remix on "Critical Mode" (harder than Proud Mode, essentially) but at that point he seemed fairly easy since I'd already gotten the Ultimate Weapon and all of the levels that come with grinding the materials for it. Still took me a couple tries though, and the nostalgia was awesome.

But I digress...perhaps you just don't invest in certain types of games, and therefore never develop the skill necessary to be "good" at them? You clearly have the capacity to learn the mechanics of a particular game and utilize them to win, and really that's all being "good" at video games is.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 1